Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenomez_
The Rev.

Loc: Somewhere over the Pacifi...
Dunking Late
    #1190830 - 01/04/03 07:33 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I've recently started back up cultivating again, and after my previous pathetic yeilds I've come a long way; Thanks primarily, if not entirely to this board. That said... here's my question.

I have a couple of cakes in my terrarium that seem to be drying out. I didn't test my new terrarium before birthing the cakes (why? you ask. because im retarded). The humidity was pretty low, but I've fixed it now and it should work out for the other cakes. However the 2 cakes that I have birthed (the fastest colonizers) seem to be pretty dry. They have been in the terrarium for about a week and they don't have any kind of hyphal knots, let alone pins. They look almost hard (almost, but not really). I think they can be saved. I was wondering if I should just wait it out and hope the higher humidity will induce pinning or dunk them now. I realize the key is patience but I have doubts that they will produce anything; shit they don't even look the least bit fluffy.

So after all that, do I wait and see if the increased humidity will induce pins or dunk them and see if that helps? Or is it even advisable to dunk this late after birth?

Thanks

--------------------
--------------------------
Just a Smart Monkey

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMickyFinn
Fuck the DJ
Loc: VA Beach VA
Re: Dunking Late [Re: nomez_]
    #1190840 - 01/04/03 07:38 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i think you should rehydrate and case.  cakes suck imo  :grin:

Anonymous

Re: Dunking Late [Re: nomez_]
    #1190843 - 01/04/03 07:39 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

A week is pretty long not to see any knots or growth. If they have been deprived of humidity it's possible that the outer layer has dryed out and become hard. I would put the cakes in a jar of water, seal it up and put it in the fridge for a day. If the outer layer is hard you may have to scratch through it, but I would try dunking first.

Offlinenomez_
The Rev.

Loc: Somewhere over the Pacifi...
Re: Dunking Late [Re: MickyFinn]
    #1190851 - 01/04/03 07:45 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I fully intend to begin casing with a couple of the next cakes. I just figured it being my first time casing, plus the fact that I havent tripped in a while, I wouldnt put all my eggs in one basket. Funny how these eggs may have gone sour anyway :wink:

Ill give them another day and dunk them tomarrow if I dont see any signs of improvement. 

--------------------
--------------------------
Just a Smart Monkey

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation