Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Impulse Sealer, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineVPx
Mr.
Autoclavable Spawn Bags
    #1190526 - 01/04/03 04:54 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I am about to use a spawn bag for the first time, im gonna get them from sporeworks http://www.sporeworks.com/supplies.html
and im going to use rye grain

i have not been able to find much about people using these in the forums and am looking for some words of wisdom..
i already have a 16" impulse sealer, but im wondering when i should seal the bags... before or after PS?

i found a site where someone was using grass seed http://www.sporebank.com/advice/ryebagtek.html
He would fold the top of the bag over and put a clothespin to hold it in place and keep the top from blocking the steam vent... after cooling he then innoc'd and sealed it. hmmm, i thought the reason for the filter path being there was so that you could seal it before PS and gas exchange would still be ok... then innoc through the 'self healing injector' site .
so i guess im worried about contams getting in the bag when the top is open coming out of the pressure cooker.

also, is it a bad idea to use too much grain in 1 bag? 1-2lbs?
in that grass seed site, he would put the cookers riser pan ontop of the bags instead of on bottom?

i appreciate any help. :cool:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Autoclavable Spawn Bags [Re: VPx]
    #1190572 - 01/04/03 05:20 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

here's my input that is based on no experience whatsoever with bags just basic knowledge in general. wait for some experienced input before proceeding:

if you have an inoc. self healing site and a filter patch then load the bags with your substrate (with proper water ratio (whatever that may be)) and seal THEN PC. I would think the pressure would escape via the filter patch. Once cool, inoc. via the self healing site (that is the point of that self healing site isn't it?) pretty damn sure that sporeworks and any other vendor selling these bags has teks that outline how to properly use them. the only part I'm not really sure about is whether or not you can PC just 1 bag. If too much pressure builds up they burst (I think the filter patch comes in to play here), the solution is to put like 4 or 5 bags in the PC (depends on how big the PC is of course) so that they keep each other from expanding too far and bursting. I don't do searches for people, , I suggest that people serach based on the fact that I have read the information posted here before. So search, search, search!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Impulse Sealer, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation