Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineBreakfast Crew
Cheerios
Male

Your opinion about the homeless.
    #11896956 - 01/25/10 08:47 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'm typing a paper about stereotypes,  what or how do you view the stereotype of homeless men and women?  Go ahead and type what you think about them, your opinions would be appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: Breakfast Crew]
    #11896963 - 01/25/10 08:49 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I think they are often stereotyped as taken advantage of and victims of the system.  But I think that's just a stereotype, and if they are victims of anything its poor health and poor decision making.

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Woody Creek
Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: DieCommie]
    #11896974 - 01/25/10 08:55 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

It can be really hard to get off of the streets once you make it there.
I think that a lot of them use drugs and alcohol as a coping mechanism.
That being said, substance abuse is often a factor in becoming homeless as well, so the predilection may already be there and the homelessness simply exacerbates the problem.:shrug:

--------------------
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." H.T.
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

OfflineRumblefishtwist
Cyber Bully
Male User Gallery

Loc: Universe
Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #11896997 - 01/25/10 09:04 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I had a homeless woman ask me for change/cigarettes this morning actually.  Statistically most homeless people have a high rate of mental disorders/drug/alcohol addictions - or a combination of all.  Factors like these often effect vital thought process and desicion making. 

Then there are the individual cirumstances surronding each person, which you would not know unless you knew them personally.  Maybe the said person actually was a veteren with extreme PTSD who could no longer handle reality?  That is where it starts getting complex.

Personally, I know one man who became homeless via a manic mental breakdown period where he gave away all of his possessions and rejected materialism-lost his job etc.  This man has masters degrees and was a college professor/teacher for many years before this incident.  So it just goes to show how it could happen to anyone, and is a big problem for many in our society.

Edited by Rumblefishtwist (01/25/10 09:15 AM)

OfflineChillbo Baggins
fo'realbo

Loc: streets of Hobbiton
    #11897015 - 01/25/10 09:10 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

im homeless

--------------------
this space is intentionally left blank

OfflineRipVanWinkle
The Benzodiazethang
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Near Memphrica, TN Flag
    #11897019 - 01/25/10 09:11 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The best blow I ever bought was from a homeless guy.  Clean, pearly goodness!  His name was E, I think he might have moved in with someone down in Mississippi now though.  Not sure if that worked out, I haven't talked to the guy in a couple years.

EDIT: I also knew dealers named D and T too, both of which are in jail now.  Fucking memphis folk....

--------------------
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.

Edited by RipVanWinkle (01/25/10 09:12 AM)

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #11897028 - 01/25/10 09:14 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
I think they are often stereotyped as taken advantage of and victims of the system.  But I think that's just a stereotype, and if they are victims of anything its poor health and poor decision making.

I think they are too often stereotyped as lazy, bottom feeding parasites who are unwilling to work.

Id even go as far to say that when most folks see a homeless person they think "ah c'mon Im not gonna give this lazy bottom feeding mooch a thing if he cant help himself" and not "oh what a poor man, hes so taken advantage of".

I dont believe this is true though, I think that's just a stereotype.

Invisibletrekie
Metal man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Larger cities Flag
Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: MisterMuscaria]
    #11897060 - 01/25/10 09:25 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I live in a large city with plenty of homeless.  Most I don't mind would give them a smoke or a beer when I have extra.  So many of them are veterans and that makes me very sad.
Also it should be said that some of them need to be institutionalized there are many schizo out there that just go in and out of the prison system to the streets.

Then there was the colony of homeless puerto ricen at my old place just fucking trash. Would piss and shit in my gangway. Would shoot up and fuck on my back porch.
One even tired to mug me dump shit sits outside my house everyday like i wouldn't get him back. You can even see him on google maps. Now they were lazy scum:mad2:

--------------------
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: trekie]
    #11897085 - 01/25/10 09:32 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I live in a small town in Indiana and I don't see homeless people ever. When I do go into the city next to us the only ones I have ever seen are downtown. Nice people but I wouldn't give them anything because the missions and kitchens take care of them pretty well.

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

OfflineBreakfast Crew
Cheerios
Male

#11897090 - 01/25/10 09:33 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Wow thanks for the input, I honestly didn't expect much insight but you guys are terrific. I have a friend who WAS homeless, he lived in a shed who a friend's grandma (lol go granny) let him stay there for a few months. How would you describe a homeless person, hygiene/personality/intelligence/work ethic/etc...?

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

#11897095 - 01/25/10 09:35 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

It varries person to person.

With some of them you wouldn't be able to tell they are homeless (they never beg, keep trimmed hair, shower daily, work a job or two, etc) but either they see renting as a waste of money that could be saved instead or the cost of living in their city is just so damn high they still cant afford it.

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
    #11897123 - 01/25/10 09:41 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I've had a few homeless friends. They were all homeless by choice. Yes they had bad breaks, but they were more concerned with getting high than trying to fix their living situation. I cant blame them for it though. One to many bad breaks and you are homeless.

I was homeless for a few months, but had a job/income. I lived in motels. Eventually I applied to apartments because I was tired of giving up my whole paycheck to stay in a roach infested crack motel. This happened twice in my life and both times I found myself a place within a few months.

The homeless people that I know have more against them.. felonies, drug addictions, etc. I can't say that someone would let themselves become homeless by choice, as touch breaks can happen to anyone - but there are quite a few that let opportunities pass them by because they would rather smoke crack, shoot heroin, drink liquor, etc.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: Rumblefishtwist]
    #11897271 - 01/25/10 10:11 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Rumblefishtwist said:
I had a homeless woman ask me for change/cigarettes this morning actually.  Statistically most homeless people have a high rate of mental disorders/drug/alcohol addictions - or a combination of all.  Factors like these often effect vital thought process and decision making. 

Then there are the individual circumstances surrounding each person, which you would not know unless you knew them personally.  Maybe the said person actually was a veteran with extreme PTSD who could no longer handle reality?  That is where it starts getting complex.

Personally, I know one man who became homeless via a manic mental breakdown period where he gave away all of his possessions and rejected materialism-lost his job etc.  This man has masters degrees and was a college professor/teacher for many years before this incident.  So it just goes to show how it could happen to anyone, and is a big problem for many in our society.

This is very true for most of them.They used to keep them in  mental institutions longer until treated but the greedy bastards that run these places start kicking them out now sooner,even if they have no place to go.We went over this recently in my nursing classes.

--------------------

OfflineDionili
Second Rate Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between a Rock and a Hard...
Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #11897290 - 01/25/10 10:15 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

A few months ago i was homeless my self, even with a job, hell those bums you see on the street beggin for cash are probly some of the most good,sincere people i have ever had the pleasure of sleeping on the street with.

--------------------

Offlineroaddog
turnip
Male User Gallery

Loc: third rock from the sun Flag
    #11897315 - 01/25/10 10:20 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

the missions dont help anyone but theres. the salvation army, uses most of there money to pay each other.When you donate clothes to sally, the sell them! No, its our job to help our own. so start kicking down!

OfflineShamanintraining
Junkhead
Male

Loc: Rough Raleigh Flag
Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: roaddog]
    #11897319 - 01/25/10 10:21 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

My opinion is they are bad asses.

--------------------

"Leave your mind alone and just get high"

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

#11897334 - 01/25/10 10:23 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Sometimes I wonder if the institutions do more harm than good in the long run.

I mean here they are for so many years in this place with a rigid schedule, someone gives them their food, someone hands them everything they need and then when they are out on the streets they dont know whose supposed to hand them their food or tell them where to go.

It reinforces what they went through in the army, someone gave them their food, someone gave them what they needed to do the job, someone told them what their job was and told them how to do it, when to do it, etc.

The institutions reinforce that rigidity to the point that once released the nonrigidity of it blows their minds. They dont know what the fuck they are supposed to do and are on the verge of a panic attack so they drink because it relaxes them(since they no longer have anyone handing them medication)

The lucky ones are the ones who can trip and/or otherwise overcome all of that programming theyve endured for so many years.

The solution to ptsd IMO is to not return to life's conditions before the traumatic event happened (as this will only act as a reinforce) but to regress, rebuild and reform one's world views until its not such an intimidating place.

Some of the guys I know who really "broke free" of it tripped, did sweats and stuff like that and really tackled it head on.

Edited by MisterMuscaria (01/25/10 10:43 AM)

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

#11897344 - 01/25/10 10:26 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

This is true also.This problem will not go away anytime soon.We will find better ways of helping people.I will be a nurse soon and will see a lot of this firsthand in the ER I am sure.

--------------------

Offlineroaddog
turnip
Male User Gallery

Loc: third rock from the sun Flag
    #11897352 - 01/25/10 10:27 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Everyone always says, they are just going to use the money for drugs oa alcohol. Well I would to if, I had to indure the hell they do. I guess people think that the homeless should take the 50cents they gave them and go bey a fucking house. Sure is easy to judge them, when you are not one of them. I believe one should walk a mile in there shoes.I tell u this I never walk bey without kicking a buck, a joint or a beer

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

#11897358 - 01/25/10 10:28 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I give when I have extra.

--------------------

Invisiblegzuf
٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11897381 - 01/25/10 10:33 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

They are probably cold.

--------------------
+1 Post ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶

InvisibleDieCommie

#11897410 - 01/25/10 10:38 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

roaddog said:
Sure is easy to judge them, when you are not one of them. I believe one should walk a mile in there shoes.

What if you were one of them?  I find its even easier to judge then.

OfflineDionili
Second Rate Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between a Rock and a Hard...
    #11897419 - 01/25/10 10:40 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

roaddog said:
Sure is easy to judge them, when you are not one of them. I believe one should walk a mile in there shoes.

What if you were one of them?  I find its even easier to judge then.

as one that has walked in those shoes i feel that many are homeless beacuse they prefer it,

--------------------

OfflineMaurer

Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: Chillbo Baggins]
    #11897434 - 01/25/10 10:44 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Chillbo Baggins said:
im homeless

Yeah the shroomery is full of homeless people and pot heads who eat bacon :thumbdown:

--------------------

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #11897479 - 01/25/10 10:54 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I think that the homeless are homeless because they are suffering from circumstances beyond their control, choose to be homeless or are suffering from mental issues.

If I were homeless I would not hang around the big city environment. I'd head to the hills, so to speak.

Living in the shadows of a bustling city populace doesn't seem like a very enriching way of life.

I'd rather live for a short three months in the woods, than for years under a bridge.  :imo:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Offlinedruqs
ALKALOIDOHOLIC
 User Gallery

Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #11897489 - 01/25/10 10:57 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

haha i live in a building

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #11897508 - 01/25/10 11:01 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:

Really?  I've had several people with rather liberal views chastise me for giving change to the homeless, insisting that they'd just spend it on drugs and alcohol(maybe they will, but who am I to judge?).  Homelessness is a complex issue, and its causes can range from hard times to drug addiction to mental illness.  Homelessness is usually a temporary phenomenon, and I've known several people who've been homeless at one time or another.  Long-term homelessness probably is strongly associated with mental illness, but I don't think the big increase in homelessness since the economic crash in '08 is due to an increase in poor decision-making.

--------------------

Invisibletrekie
Metal man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Larger cities Flag
Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: Silversoul]
    #11897593 - 01/25/10 11:18 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
e]
Really?  I've had several people with rather liberal views chastise me for giving change to the homeless, insisting that they'd just spend it on drugs and alcohol(maybe they will, but who am I to judge?).  Homelessness is a complex issue, and its causes can range from hard times to drug addiction to mental illness.  Homelessness is usually a temporary phenomenon, and I've known several people who've been homeless at one time or another.  Long-term homelessness probably is strongly associated with mental illness, but I don't think the big increase in homelessness since the economic crash in '08 is due to an increase in poor decision-making.

It was poor decision making just not the homeless decisions. The USA has been cutting social spending for over 25 years now. Who are the ones to suffer? Those who were already on the fringes anyway. Never run out of corporate welfare but when it comes to helping out those at the bottom everyone gets there panties in a bunch. The gap between rich and poor is growing expectational . Yet we are to caught up in this bullshit health care debate or terrorism that which is a fucking joke might I add ( single payer or bust my opinion ). The fact is for some reason most of the USA populace doesn't care about what happens to others.  The system has and always will be to fuck over the poor and just use them as labor

--------------------
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

InvisiblecApTaInCrAp
Delightfullyexcellent
 User Gallery

Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: Silversoul]
    #11897602 - 01/25/10 11:19 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I just dont understand why they all have dogs they cant feed  :shrug:

--------------------
"...Terrific, im glad we've had this time to discuss..im outro, call me if you wanna blaze one up.."

OfflineMaurer

Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: cApTaInCrAp]
    #11897632 - 01/25/10 11:24 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

cApTaInCrAp said:

I know it's like all people who smoke weed end up dying from crack and or get addicted to bacon :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

#11897636 - 01/25/10 11:25 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

They want to feel loved by someone, why not befriend a animal in the same circumstances they are in. I would. I would try to take good care of it, who knows it may protect me someday.

--------------------

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

Live long and prosper.

OfflineNeuron
Tek Savant
Male

Loc: @meriKa
    #11897642 - 01/25/10 11:26 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

If I see a homeless asking for change outside a store, I usually buy them something from the store and hand it to them(instead of change), otherwise I give nothing.

I've purchased a box of 12 donuts, a huge bag of chex mix, and other items for homeless begging for change.

--------------------

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: Neuron]
    #11897658 - 01/25/10 11:30 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I tried to buy a homeless guy begging for money a sandwich from the store I was coming out of once. He wouldn't let me buy him one and just wanted cash, so I said sorry I can't help you with that i'm tight on money atm. :shrug:

--------------------

Live long and prosper.

Invisiblefee
Im he who is the
 User Gallery

Loc: amsterdam
Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: Kada]
    #11897707 - 01/25/10 11:39 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I have been in the homeless community while traveling I did however have my car.

I ate in soup kitchens and all that stuff and I must say only about 15% want to change and like 50% are content with there life style and other 35% are bat shit insane.

--------------------

blankk said to fee:
btw you're a total fucking psychedelic pimp
Turtletotem said:
I want to become a sun worshipper, so next time an atheist smugly asks me where god is, I can point smugly at the sun and laugh my ass off.

Then I drive away in my solar powered piece of shit car, cool stuff man.

And then I go kill a bitch because the flaming orb in the sky told me to do so, and I don't know, oppress a few minorities here and there in the name of nuclear fusion?

Religion is fun.

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

#11898005 - 01/25/10 12:40 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

cApTaInCrAp said:

In some cities they can not throw you in jail for vagrancy if you own a dog,this is part of the scam for some,"I just need to buy some food for my dog" *looking pitiful*.

--------------------

OfflineBreakfast Crew
Cheerios
Male

Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #11898089 - 01/25/10 12:53 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
I think that the homeless are homeless because they are suffering from circumstances beyond their control, choose to be homeless or are suffering from mental issues.

If I were homeless I would not hang around the big city environment. I'd head to the hills, so to speak.

Living in the shadows of a bustling city populace doesn't seem like a very enriching way of life.

I'd rather live for a short three months in the woods, than for years under a bridge.  :imo:

You are very right on the circumstances, SOME homeless or "vagrants" are illiterate.  Now imagine being surrounded by people that cannot understand and you cannot read any signs indicating where you are in the city.  What is the first thing that comes to your mind? Immigrants.  I'm suppose to be neutral with this topic and not in anyway implying that all homeless people are immigrants or vise-versa.

Invisiblefee
Im he who is the
 User Gallery

#11898134 - 01/25/10 12:59 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

all the homeless I have been around where not immigrants at all but I believe they have the immigrant homeless sector and then then crazy non immigrant sector of each city

--------------------

blankk said to fee:
Turtletotem said:
I want to become a sun worshipper, so next time an atheist smugly asks me where god is, I can point smugly at the sun and laugh my ass off.

And then I go kill a bitch because the flaming orb in the sky told me to do so, and I don't know, oppress a few minorities here and there in the name of nuclear fusion?

Religion is fun.

OfflineFollowTheMusic
Stranger
    #11898173 - 01/25/10 01:05 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I feel that the homeless are people without a fixed permanent residence, who often rely on charity or social services to obtain basic necessities.

Invisiblefee
Im he who is the
 User Gallery

Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: FollowTheMusic]
    #11898196 - 01/25/10 01:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

FollowTheMusic said:
I feel that the homeless are people without a fixed permanent residence, who often rely on charity or social services to obtain basic necessities.

while only about 25% max want to change and get a residence

--------------------

blankk said to fee:
Turtletotem said:

Religion is fun.

OfflineJordanian
Subject to Change
Male User Gallery

Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: fee]
    #11898314 - 01/25/10 01:28 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Define homeless. Are we talking street beggars or people who just have no regular place to stay. I was homeless for a year and a half, but I worked.  Just didn't have a car of my own and couch crashed all the time.  It's a tough rut to get out of, especially in a place with poor public transportation.

Invisiblefee
Im he who is the
 User Gallery

Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: Jordanian]
    #11898324 - 01/25/10 01:30 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Jordanian said:
Define homeless. Are we talking street beggars or people who just have no regular place to stay. I was homeless for a year and a half, but I worked.  Just didn't have a car of my own and couch crashed all the time.  It's a tough rut to get out of, especially in a place with poor public transportation.

although that is homeless its not my definition

I consider people that stay in homeless shelters or out in the woods or street to be homeless

--------------------

blankk said to fee:
Turtletotem said:

Religion is fun.

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

#11898376 - 01/25/10 01:37 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The funny thing is many beggars have homes and many homeless dont beg.

Invisiblefee
Im he who is the
 User Gallery

#11898385 - 01/25/10 01:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

MisterMuscaria said:
The funny thing is many beggars have homes and many homeless dont beg.

this is very very true

--------------------

blankk said to fee:
Turtletotem said:

Religion is fun.

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

#11898419 - 01/25/10 01:44 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I saw a three legged dog with a homeless guy once.I was on acid at the time and me and my friend made up the story that he got really hungry one night and ate the dogs leg.We then started saying how a dog will beg for anything and was probably begging for a piece of its own leg.We laughed till we cried,then felt bad.

Sounds like a Jack Handy story only it is true.:grin:

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #11898465 - 01/25/10 01:53 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I've been homeless at 3 separate times in my life (for 2-24 months at a time), one was by choice. I never begged people for change even when I was starving on the street. There was always a way, whether it was soup kitchens, or pizza places, or whatever. I made a lot of money by spanging (providing a service/entertainment for money instead of just begging people)... for example, playing guitar or drums on the street corner with a hat or something, I've made as much as $150 in a day.

And living on the streets you get to meet all the other homeless people. There are about as many reasons people become homeless as there are homeless people. It's never cut and dry. Some do it by choice, some are a result of really poor decision making, some are drug addicts or mentally deranged, some get fucked in the ass by the government/whatever and end up there as a result of circumstances beyond their control. Most "normal" people in those situations can usually fall back on family or friends to provide temporary support, some people don't have that luxury.

There are a lot of stereotypes about the homeless in our country, partially due to the class system we've created and how we project this image of hating/looking down on the poor. Most people just assume that most people are homeless because they are lazy leeches and don't want to work. That may be true in some cases but it certainly isn't true in the majority of them, in my experience. I've known some homeless people that are some of the most humble people I've known, they don't beg or leech off people, they get by on their own devices and they are content to just be alive. They may not be trying to actively better their situation, but they aren't sucking anyone dry either. On the other hand, some of the cruelest, nastiest people I've met in the world, are ones that have lots of money, and constantly rip people off and use and abuse other people to get a leg up. Pragmatically speaking, your income level has little to nothing to do with how good of a person you are.

--------------------

OfflineThe24HourMC
Master Of Ceremonies
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gone
Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: Shroomism]
    #11898474 - 01/25/10 01:54 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

theres no fixed way to fit the homeless into a particular category. they are people , just like everyone else and they all have circumstances unique to them.

--------------------

My Baby In MCLA

Fuckin Shit

Fuck that stay high

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Re: Your opinion about the homeless. [Re: Shroomism]
    #11898498 - 01/25/10 01:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
I've been homeless at 3 separate times in my life (for 2-24 months at a time), one was by choice. I never begged people for change even when I was starving on the street. There was always a way, whether it was soup kitchens, or pizza places, or whatever. I made a lot of money by spanging (providing a service/entertainment for money instead of just begging people)... for example, playing guitar or drums on the street corner with a hat or something, I've made as much as $150 in a day.

And living on the streets you get to meet all the other homeless people. There are about as many reasons people become homeless as there are homeless people. It's never cut and dry. Some do it by choice, some are a result of really poor decision making, some are drug addicts or mentally deranged, some get fucked in the ass by the government/whatever and end up there as a result of circumstances beyond their control. Most "normal" people in those situations can usually fall back on family or friends to provide temporary support, some people don't have that luxury.

There are a lot of stereotypes about the homeless in our country, partially due to the class system we've created and how we project this image of hating/looking down on the poor. Most people just assume that most people are homeless because they are lazy leeches and don't want to work. That may be true in some cases but it certainly isn't true in the majority of them, in my experience. I've known some homeless people that are some of the most humble people I've known, they don't beg or leech off people, they get by on their own devices and they are content to just be alive. They may not be trying to actively better their situation, but they aren't sucking anyone dry either. On the other hand, some of the cruelest, nastiest people I've met in the world, are ones that have lots of money, and constantly rip people off and use and abuse other people to get a leg up. Pragmatically speaking, your income level has little to nothing to do with how good of a person you are.

Very eloquently put.This is true.Great insight from an experienced point of view.:thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order