Home | Community | Message Board

Mycotrop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegillagin780
Stranger?
 User Gallery

Psych paper
    #11895346 - 01/25/10 01:03 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

This was for one of my psych classes

Psychological Analysis of Fight Club

This film documents the life of a troubled accident data
compiler.  He begins to lose faith in his life and this is projected
with his insomnia.  His life begins to be a sleep depraved blur of
emptiness and unsatifaction.  He attempts to fill this void with worldly possessions that he has been conditioned through society to believe that the wants of consumer capitalism are needs.

He begins to attend various support groups for people with chronic and terminal illnesses to cope with his insomnia by letting out his emotions at these said support groups.  He starts to develop suicidal tendencies and reaches his breaking point when he meets Tyler Durden his alternate personality, which encompasses everything he wants to be and everything he couldn’t do on his own and needed Tyler in order to do.  His alternate personality blows up his apartment to destroy everything he has worked for in his life

to free him from his slavery to his possessions and thus beginning his jihad against society and his quest to free others against what he believes is a hollow void of living.
Dissociative Disorders are mental illnesses in which one has a fragmentation of their own identity and personality.  These are some of the most interesting and extensive mental disorders known.  They are so deep that people live multiple lives under multiple identies unknowingly.  One could completely lose recollection of their entire past.  For others life just seems

like one big dream where they are watching their selves live from afar truly the third person point of view and living in autopilot with no control.  This is the case with depersonalization disorder and OCD often accompanies it.
Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde comes to my mind when I comp template dissociative disorders and I believe it is very fitting to apply to this movie and the various mental disorders to which it portrays.  The best way that I can describe the protagonists personality is fragmented.  He has traveled thousands of miles and conversed with hundreds of people and has no

recollection of doing so.  He has lived the life of Tyler Durden for quite sometime and I believe this was the product of his insomia and stress.  He has as an external observer watched him self as Tyler Durden so I believe He very clearly has the big three personality disorders because he is trying to find himself and defend his ego.

Often the cliché for amnesia is the proverbial blow to the head causing them to forget who they are. I believe the blow to head for the protagonist in this movie is his job as a automobile accident data collector I believe he lost his self because for so long his job required him to view the tragic deaths of people young and old as statistics and to see whether enough people have died to determine whether a car is worthy of being recalled.

So this caused his insomnia because his life had no purpose and in order for him to cope with his hollow life he needed help.  So his help came when he thought he was asleep.  When he thought he was sleeping he was really wreaking havoc on capitalism and corporations and getting revenge as Tyler Durden.  His mind created Tyler Durden in order to bring about his freedom against what he subconsciously believed was the shackles of modern society.  He then began a downward spiral of self-destruction and living on the edge.

Typical with Dissociative Identity disorder is that it suddenly emerges as this is the case with this movie.  His orginal self is quiet and shy and believes in nothing, where as Tyler durden is the complete opposite he is an activist and an extremist and self-proclaimed anarchist.  This was the result of his bottled up emotions and thoughts that have been locked away in his subconscious beginning to overflow and exploded until he finally snaps and begins his mission to get back at all the corporations and ruin them for ruining his own life.

Now in most cases this is a very extreme case of multiple personality disorder so yeah Hollywood really exaggerated a little bit but I think they really did an excellent job of portraying personality disorders for the masses with this movie.  They showed really how extensive that a mental disorder

can be and how stress can be a very effective catalyst in creating a crazy person I mean a mentally unstable individual who is the victim of stress.  It also shows how susceptible others who are desperate can be to someone who is obviously mentally ill but mistake ones mental state as charisma and greatness and wish to be like them. There are many accounts in history where people have been

seduced with fiery speeches and really radical ideas and just mindlessly bought it.  Some cases that come to mind where people ate up the ideas of radical people would be the brainwashing of the German people in 1939 where they gave Hitler infinite power or in the 60’s with Charles Mansion.

Fight Club was excellent movie with an excellent representation of personality disorders.  Although it may have exaggerated a little it had great detail and depth truly showing how incredibly fascinating a mental disorder can be and how life changing it can for someone and the profound effects stress can have on someone and how truly incredible the human mind is and the lengths it will go to protect ones ego.

What do you guys think. is it alright

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegzuf
٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Psych paper [Re: gillagin780]
    #11895352 - 01/25/10 01:04 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I did my Psychology paper on Fight Club in high school too...Good paper :thumbup:

--------------------
+1 Post ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶

Offlinegillagin780
Stranger?
 User Gallery

Re: Psych paper [Re: gzuf]
    #11895488 - 01/25/10 01:20 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Ha thanks man i couldnt think of a better movie to do it on than fight club

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Mountains of Multnomah Flag
Re: Psych paper [Re: gillagin780]
    #11895539 - 01/25/10 01:25 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I could think of plenty, but still a good pick.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Community >> The Pub