Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: My take on why the afterlife is bullshit... [Re: ivander]
    #11885737 - 01/23/10 03:50 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The answers to your questions, like "Is history a science?", are obvious to me, so I didn't feel the need to answer them; do you have any other questions? :birthday:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: My take on why the afterlife is bullshit... [Re: Poid]
    #11886029 - 01/23/10 04:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Please provide the historical evidence of Jesus' factual existence

You could almost claim that just the very fact your talking about him is proof he existed. I doubt an imaginary man rocked the whole world like jesus did.

--------------------
..and may the zelda theme song be with you at all times, amen.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My take on why the afterlife is bullshit... [Re: soldatheero]
    #11886054 - 01/23/10 04:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

soldatheero said:
Quote:

Please provide the historical evidence of Jesus' factual existence

You could almost claim that just the very fact your talking about him is proof he existed.

That is ridiculous; I could talk about anything, merely talking about something is not in any way proof that that something exists.

Quote:

soldatheero said:
I doubt an imaginary man rocked the whole world like jesus did.

So what if you doubt it, it's still very possible that he never existed, and it's even more likely that, had he existed, none of those "miracles" he performed in the Bible actually occurred.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

OfflineInFest
George T. Washington
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Marianas Trench Flag
    #11886548 - 01/23/10 06:06 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

So what if you doubt it, it's still very possible that he never existed, and it's even more likely that, had he existed, none of those "miracles" he performed in the Bible actually occurred.

:thumbup: Damn Right

--------------------
One Day at a Time

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Re: My take on why the afterlife is bullshit... [Re: InFest]
    #11886774 - 01/23/10 06:49 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

That is ridiculous; I could talk about anything, merely talking about something is not in any way proof that that something exists

Hah of course talking about something does make it exist. My point is you are talkin about him because everyone else has been talking about him and everyone else would not be talkin about him unless for a good reason. I mean I don't think it is possible to influence the entire world with a fictinal story, it wouldn't give.

Some quotes on jesus.

As a child I received instruction both in the Bible and in the Talmud. I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene....No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life. --Albert Einstein

I know men and I tell you that Jesus Christ is no mere man. Between Him and every other person in the world there is no possible term of comparison. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and I have founded empires. But on what did we rest the creation of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded His empire upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. –Napoleon

Jesus of Nazareth, without money and arms, conquered more millions than Alexander the Great, Caesar, Mohammed, and Napoleon; without science and learning, he shed more light on things human and divine than all philosophers and scholars combined; without the eloquence of school, he spoke such words of life as were never spoken before or since, and produced effects which lie beyond the reach of orator or poet; without writing a single line, he set more pens in motion, and furnished themes for more sermons, orations, discussions, learned volumes, works of art, and songs of praise than the whole army of great men of ancient and modern times. –Philip Schaff

I am an historian, I am not a believer, but I must confess as a historian that this penniless preacher from Nazareth is irrevocably the very center of history. Jesus Christ is easily the most dominant figure in all history.--H.G. Wells

A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic – on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg – or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God; or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.--C.S. Lewis

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11886791 - 01/23/10 06:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

soldatheero said:
I mean I don't think it is possible to influence the entire world with a fictinal story, it wouldn't give.

I think it's entirely possible, most people are fucking retarded. :flowstone:

Quote:

soldatheero said:
Some quotes on jesus.

As a child I received instruction both in the Bible and in the Talmud. I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene....No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life. --Albert Einstein

I know men and I tell you that Jesus Christ is no mere man. Between Him and every other person in the world there is no possible term of comparison. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and I have founded empires. But on what did we rest the creation of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded His empire upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. –Napoleon

Jesus of Nazareth, without money and arms, conquered more millions than Alexander the Great, Caesar, Mohammed, and Napoleon; without science and learning, he shed more light on things human and divine than all philosophers and scholars combined; without the eloquence of school, he spoke such words of life as were never spoken before or since, and produced effects which lie beyond the reach of orator or poet; without writing a single line, he set more pens in motion, and furnished themes for more sermons, orations, discussions, learned volumes, works of art, and songs of praise than the whole army of great men of ancient and modern times. –Philip Schaff

I am an historian, I am not a believer, but I must confess as a historian that this penniless preacher from Nazareth is irrevocably the very center of history. Jesus Christ is easily the most dominant figure in all history.--H.G. Wells

A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic – on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg – or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God; or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.--C.S. Lewis

:shitfan:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleGI_Luvmoney
Vote Republican!
 User Gallery

#11887169 - 01/23/10 07:54 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

Edited by GI_Luvmoney (01/23/10 08:09 PM)

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My take on why the afterlife is bullshit... [Re: GI_Luvmoney]
    #11887177 - 01/23/10 07:55 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'll just read them at my local bookstore, if anything, I'm not gonna pay for them. :shrug:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

#11887243 - 01/23/10 08:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I think it's entirely possible, most people are fucking retarded.

Seems that way sometimes I know :sad:

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11887249 - 01/23/10 08:04 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No, it's true, it doesn't just seem that way; did you know that 84% of the human population is religious? :crying:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

#11887363 - 01/23/10 08:17 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

IMO those who are radically opposed to the idea of god are equally as simple-minded as those who blindly follow religion.

--------------------

Edited by soldatheero (01/23/10 08:18 PM)

InvisibleGI_Luvmoney
Vote Republican!
 User Gallery

#11887374 - 01/23/10 08:18 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11887388 - 01/23/10 08:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

It's about logic and critical thinking; IME, most religious people do not use either, and they just follow what they were conditioned to believe since childhood. You do know how much childhood experiences affect the adult personality, don't you? :strokebeard:

What about Tarzan, is he "simple minded" because he was never conditioned to believe in the bullshit that is "God"? Don't you know that many people were raised in atheist households, and as a result, were never fed the nonsense about "God"? If "God" is self-evidently existent, then why is there even an argument about "His" existence? :flowstone:

:tarzan:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Edited by Poid (04/15/12 01:16 AM)

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

#11887501 - 01/23/10 08:36 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

your logic deceives you..the buddha spoke of intellectual traps!

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11887588 - 01/23/10 08:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

M&P. :yawn:

:tard:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

OfflineInFest
George T. Washington

#11890995 - 01/24/10 12:42 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No intelligectually honest athiest would be "Radically opposed to the idea of god".
I don't belive in god becuase there is insufficent evidence to support said belief. I am (much like any honest scientist) always open to new evidence. I make no claims to weather or not there ultimately is a god or not. I simply cannot justify believing in one at this point (or maybe ever).

Thats why I find the term agonostic redundant and useless. By some (improper) definitions I would be considered an agnostic. Soldatheero, what you're describing is anti-theism, which is an opsition to theism. I agree, anti-theism is just as illogical as theism, becuase like theism, they are making an absolute claim.

People need to learn some distictions, and not take one pistion and then apply another definition or position to in, when in reality the two positions are just that; two positions. Seperate and apart from one another (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man).

I find it interesting that most theists have a misunderstanding about what atheism really is, and then argue from that misunderstanding.
People need to stop using the term agnostic, and actually understand what athiesm and theism state, and how they are different.

While it is a bit of semantics, the words themselves are significant because a common understanding of both side is not there. Its almost as bad as when people say "athiesm is a religion" :rolleyes:

"Anognostics are just Athiests without balls"- Stephen Colbert :tongue:

--------------------
One Day at a Time

OfflineInFest
George T. Washington

#11891012 - 01/24/10 12:45 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

soldatheero said:
your logic deceives you..the buddha spoke of intellectual traps!

The flying spaghetti monster spoke of gullibility and stupidity!

--------------------
One Day at a Time

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale