Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Agar n Open air?
    #1180493 - 12/30/02 06:09 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Was thinking about getting into agar and was just curious if anyone here does work in open air w/o glovebox/hood and is decently sucessfully with small bathroom lysol'd down and bleach wiped with no air currents ideally. Also if one is lookin for agar supplies would one like to get plastic or glass petri dishes? Also a need for slants too or ? Need any all info on ppl's experiences. thanks in advance.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agar n Open air? [Re: socratesmind]
    #1180766 - 12/30/02 08:49 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Yes..I have been very sucessful with working with agar in open air with no flowhood or glovebox...and I have gotten hardly any contams.

I just clean the crap out of my kitchen.
Sweep the floor and mop...bleach the counters and the sink...clean the top of the stove...check for a draft.
Then spray the hell out of the kitchen with Lysol.
All the money I have spent on Lysol...I almost could have built a flow hood.  :grin:

I would suggest getting the plastic petri dishes to start out with.
If you like working with agar after you have gone through 60 plastic petri dishes move on to using glass petri dishes.
I only use glass petri dishes now.

I buy sterile plastic culture tubes to store my agar wedges.
$9.00 for 50 on ebay.

I use a dryclave to sterilize my glass petri dishes.
I have a friend that is a tatoo artist that gave me mine...he had an extra one.
You can find them on ebay now and then for under $80.00
I hated pressure cooking the glass petri dishes...so do some of my friends.
I end up doing some of their's too in my dryclave...lolzz

Working with agar is very enjoyable...and its not that hard to do.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: Agar n Open air? [Re: Roadkill]
    #1181048 - 12/31/02 02:51 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

cool sounds like we have a similar method although i use a bathroom. only fear is a flash fire in there one day after layin down too much lysol and strikin up a bic. but agar needs 15psi right? and whats a dryclave?

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1182354 - 01/01/03 12:16 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Most autoclaves work by using steam to transfer heat to sterilize whatever is in them. Steam tends to dull sharp metal objects, such as blades and needles. Another type of autoclave uses chemicals to sterilize instead of steam... no more dull edges, but you have to replace the chems from time to time.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #1187348 - 01/03/03 08:57 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

If working in the open air, I would move to peroxidated agar on the first transfer after spore germination. Also, I'd probably use anti-biotic agar on the spore germination plates. It can be done without these measures, but that's what I would have done if someone had stolen my hood.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale