Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTrance104
Businessman
Male

Candle making anyone?
    #11864567 - 01/20/10 09:12 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Has anyone here ever made their own candles? I'm just looking for some tips, tricks, etc... I've been thinking about doing this for a long time and now I have some extra $$ to drop on it. I know I can easily google stuff, but I wanted first hand knowledge if anyone has any.

I have googled basics and starting goods.

Thanks!

--------------------
Can't stop the Trance! Dance!! DANCE!!!

A good archive of Trance music to listen to when you want to relax or trip with.
www.trance104.com

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemellowparty
legitimate researcher

Re: Candle making anyone? [Re: Trance104]
    #11864600 - 01/20/10 09:19 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yea I have, but for an entirely different purpose than to illuminate my room or sth like that.

What i did was to melt some regular candles in an aluminium cast and add some liquid paraffin. It makes perfect skateboarding wax :kickflip::awecid:

--------------------

Offlineefrog
Ecstatic,Electric,Eclectic
Female User Gallery

Loc: Near the River... Flag
Re: Candle making anyone? [Re: mellowparty]
    #11864720 - 01/20/10 09:48 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yep me too. Whatcha wanna know?

--------------------
This is a whole new path. You cannot use your old map on this new path and if you try you'll only end up lost in the woods. Get a new map.

OfflineTrance104
Businessman
Male

Re: Candle making anyone? [Re: efrog]
    #11865009 - 01/20/10 10:41 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Where do you get your supplies? what's a good website to order from or where should I look locally? I know that those blocks of wax are heavy and can't imagine shipping being cheap... wicks I could probably get a good deal on using the internet.

--------------------

A good archive of Trance music to listen to when you want to relax or trip with.
www.trance104.com

Offlineefrog
Female User Gallery

#11865401 - 01/20/10 11:59 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Oh I am in England babe :-) I get most my stuff from here and Germany. Molds and wax and colourants, etc. I don't have a special "wax melting" appliance or anything - and unless you're making in big bulk you don't need one.

I can give you those sources if you like - but if you're in the U.S. you'd be best off with ebay or retailers who supply wax and moulds - but not a general craft store like Michael's. Everything is "Made for Dummies" and overpriced - unless you know what to look for.

Ebay in the US rocks though - and is MUCH better and often cheaper than retail sites - unless you have a wholesale license.

They (sellers on ebay) often even have FREE (yay!) shipping!

Are you thinking more beeswax, paraffin & stearin or stearin or even soya wax?

There are plus/minus to all of these - so it depends on what you want to do.

I personally have *not* used soya wax yet - but it's supposed to be really super awesome for molds.

Beeswax is awesome - and gives off negative ions which help actually clean the air around them which is cool!

Do you want to use molds or hand-dip them? (Tapers)

Anyway, given these questions, what do you think you want to start off with?

--------------------
This is a whole new path. You cannot use your old map on this new path and if you try you'll only end up lost in the woods. Get a new map.

Invisiblefee
Im he who is the
 User Gallery

Loc: amsterdam
    #11865445 - 01/20/10 12:06 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

take a 1/2 cardboard milk container put a wick all the up fill with ice then pour your melted wax down in till it fills up and cools

and you have one bad ass candle

--------------------

blankk said to fee:
btw you're a total fucking psychedelic pimp
Turtletotem said:
I want to become a sun worshipper, so next time an atheist smugly asks me where god is, I can point smugly at the sun and laugh my ass off.

Then I drive away in my solar powered piece of shit car, cool stuff man.

And then I go kill a bitch because the flaming orb in the sky told me to do so, and I don't know, oppress a few minorities here and there in the name of nuclear fusion?

Religion is fun.

OfflineTrance104
Businessman
Male

Re: Candle making anyone? [Re: fee]
    #11866521 - 01/20/10 03:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I was looking into parrafin just as a starter. I liked the concept of soy, but wouldn't want to mess anything up. I already have jars.. *shrooms lol* and was going to use an old pot to heat it in. I wasn't going to add any kinds of fragrances yet, so nothing crazy. Really basic, just to develop a basic understanding of the whole process. Ill be sure to check on ebay and stuff... I'm looking into for cheap *crafted* gifts for my mum, sis, and family. Etc.

--------------------

www.trance104.com

OfflineTrance104
Businessman
Male

#11866522 - 01/20/10 03:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I was looking into parrafin just as a starter. I liked the concept of soy, but wouldn't want to mess anything up. I already have jars.. *shrooms lol* and was going to use an old pot to heat it in. I wasn't going to add any kinds of fragrances yet, so nothing crazy. Really basic, just to develop a basic understanding of the whole process. Ill be sure to check on ebay and stuff... I'm looking into for cheap *crafted* gifts for my mum, sis, and family. Etc.

--------------------

www.trance104.com

Offlineefrog
Female User Gallery

#11866555 - 01/20/10 03:19 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

@ Trance: Hey, 10-ish pm here - so I'll write you back in some detail either later on (I need to spend some time with my husband) or tomorrow when I am working.

I've got a bit of info to share that should help you out. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineTrance104
Businessman
Male

#11870562 - 01/21/10 06:07 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds good to me!

--------------------

www.trance104.com

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #11870583 - 01/21/10 06:23 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

.:.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Edited by blewmeanie (01/23/10 08:59 AM)

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
    #11870712 - 01/21/10 07:09 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

fee said:
take a 1/2 cardboard milk container put a wick all the up fill with ice then pour your melted wax down in till it fills up and cools

and you have one bad ass candle

I've done that...bad ass candle indeed.:thumbup: I used to make sand cast candles... wet hard packed beach sand. Make the mold how you want, bowl shaped, make finger holes for legs, whatever. Finished product is encased in a waxy sand shell 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.That sandy/waxy shit will support combustion if you make them too small. I used to get my wax from a refinery (it was a by-product), but I don't think you'll get access there what with  9.11 and all . . . :peace:(of fire) :onfire:

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

OfflineTrance104
Businessman
Male

Re: Candle making anyone? [Re: vinsue]
    #11870798 - 01/21/10 07:41 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Soy candles are the new "green" candle... lol...

--------------------

www.trance104.com

Offlineefrog
Female User Gallery

#11934337 - 01/31/10 07:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, I've not skipped out on ya Trance, I am just trying to gather my docs and bookmarks all together to PM to you.

Soy candles are cool in theory, and also, they don't sink in the middle, either - and IIRC, they are also dripless - but there's something about them that many folks find "odd."

How far have you gotten so far?

I don't use a thermometer or anything for temp, I just heat the wax till it's melted (in a jar, on a rack, in a pan of water, water going as high up the side of the jar as you can manage), stirring to make sure all is melted, then let it sit just till the top has a bit of surface tension - then I pour. Oh and, colour your wax right then, towards the end of melting. You can buy colouring tablets (basically super-coloured wax chunks) or you can use old crayons - which work perfectly (and better than bought colourants, a lot of the time!!).

Go and scrounge up all the old crayons you have and separate them into colour groups and use those. Keep adding bits until you like the colour and remember, it will be a tad paler when dry. Don't add too much at once though - you don't need that much colourant.

When you pour, the top should become a bit cloudy pretty QUICK, of not, the wax may be too hot.

Too hot wax leads to the centre of the candle "sinking in" and then will have to be re-poured later and this sucks.

Scenting is easy: Essential Oils. Take your pick. If you want some cool smelling mixtures, (Christmassy, Relaxing, whatever - let me know and I can tell you what smells like what, etc)

I assume you're not going to go out and buy moulds right away - and that's cool. There are PERFECT things to use as moulds there.

Juice Concentrate cans are good (oil them first with olive oil or something!) because you can just rip them off if the candle won't pop out, and they're already coated with plastic on the inside.

Any straight sided jar will work, just be sure you can get the candle out again, or that it's heat-proof, if you want it in the jar (duh, lol) 

Wicks are determined by width of the candle - too small and it'll burn down the middle and too large and it will burn down one side before the other side, making a big mess.

Generally, you need the wick size corresponding to the width of the candle you're making.

I buy the standard cotton wicking, then I dip it in hot wax and use my fingers to wax it (so it's stiff, lol - otherwise it can float to the surface or go sideways or all sorts of shit - moulds have wick retainers in them and you fill them from, the top to the bottom. so thw wick stays straight) then I tie the end around a skewer and you can tie a nut or washer on the end, if you want, to keep the wick straight, and centred in your mould.

Pour the wax, then put the wick into it, and rest the skewer/toothpick across the top of the mould

Or you can buy those waxed wicks with the metal bottom retainer thingy, but they don't stay straight any better, imho.

If you have concentrate cans, you can poke a hole in the centre of the bottom, and then put your wick through, leaving only a bit through the hole, then set it on a cooling rack (so the wick doesn't make the container crooked, lol) then pour, then pull the wick up, wrap around a skewer, and rest on the bottom  and that will keep your wick straight. However, this is a bitch to do when using glass containers :wink:

Oh and when the wax is cooled and feels firm to the touch, pop the moulds in the freezer for 10 minutes or so and they'll pop right out of the moulds from that slight bit of contraction due to the cold.

OK, that should get you started.

--------------------

OfflineMrEd
Male

Loc: Uranus
    #11934476 - 01/31/10 08:48 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Making candles man.  Really neat table candles, you pour wax on a table, and you set it on fire!

--------------------

Offlineefrog
Female User Gallery

Re: Candle making anyone? [Re: MrEd]
    #11935043 - 01/31/10 11:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for your brilliant contribution.

--------------------

Invisiblealexithymia
Smiling Puppy

Loc: Utah
    #11935209 - 01/31/10 11:39 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I used to! I haven't in quite some time, but it's pretty fun :smile:

Once you know how to do basic ones it's fun to make them more creative by layering the colors, adding things like shells to them, etc etc

Happy candle making!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale