Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblealexithymia
Smiling Puppy

Loc: Utah
What do you think of this method of storage?
    #11860713 - 01/19/10 04:25 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4747674#4747674

Read that top post about the damp-rid. I think he's talking about overnight storage in that post though. I want to store them for about 5 months though. Do you think I could use that method with the desiccant at the bottom and shrooms in the basin for that long? Or should I maybe just but some of the desiccant crystals (without the basin or anything) in a container with the shrooms (enclosed in a ziplock bag)?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a trip
Re: What do you think of this method of storage? [Re: alexithymia]
    #11861574 - 01/19/10 06:40 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

For long term storage I have always dried them cracker dry, once dry you can freeze them with no problems.

You could also use CO2, there is a tek somewhere around here using baking soda and vinegar to create co2 then it's "poured" (just the gas) into a Ziploc w/dried shrooms. Since the co2 is heavier it pushes the oxygen rich air out of the bag, giving you an environment that resists bacterial growth.

As long as you get'em CRACKER dry you can store them just about any place that isn't humid/hot.

--------------------
The Fourth Amendment gives every American the right to refuse any search without a warrant.

Say hello to my friend, his name is George.
Every other ? you have is answered here

:mushroom2:In soviet russia, mushroom trips on you

OfflineT-Rex
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: NY
Re: What do you think of this method of storage? [Re: fltdriver82]
    #11861607 - 01/19/10 06:45 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yea dry em cracker dry before storing them, and seal em in a ziploc.
If you want to add a desiccant I suggest silica as its better for long term.

Invisiblealexithymia
Smiling Puppy

Re: What do you think of this method of storage? [Re: T-Rex]
    #11861705 - 01/19/10 07:02 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

fltdriver82 said:
For long term storage I have always dried them cracker dry, once dry you can freeze them with no problems.

You could also use CO2, there is a tek somewhere around here using baking soda and vinegar to create co2 then it's "poured" (just the gas) into a Ziploc w/dried shrooms. Since the co2 is heavier it pushes the oxygen rich air out of the bag, giving you an environment that resists bacterial growth.

As long as you get'em CRACKER dry you can store them just about any place that isn't humid/hot.

Quote:

T-Rex said:
yea dry em cracker dry before storing them, and seal em in a ziploc.
If you want to add a desiccant I suggest silica as its better for long term.

Well they're already pretty dry.. what I meant was putting them in that damprid basin with the actual drying crystals in the tub below like the pictures show, and then LEAVING them there in the container for 6 months or so. Not just drying them and taking them out.

Also, freezer isn't an option :undecided: Roommate = :thumbdown:

OfflineT-Rex
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11861852 - 01/19/10 07:24 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Why would you leave them in the drying chamber??
A baggie is easier to hide

Invisiblealexithymia
Smiling Puppy

#11861885 - 01/19/10 07:29 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

T-Rex said:
Why would you leave them in the drying chamber??
A baggie is easier to hide

Just to make sure they stay dry and don't get contaminated with any moisture...

And I'm not too worried about hiding them, I'm not using them for a while so it's not like I have to worry about transporting them.

OfflineT-Rex
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11861991 - 01/19/10 07:49 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Idk about leaving them in there. The longest I've left fruits in a drying chamber was a week.

Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a trip
    #11862464 - 01/19/10 09:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

You don't want them turning to dust do you.

OfflineMykologist
Often too lazy to post...
Male

Loc: I'm still here...
Re: What do you think of this method of storage? [Re: fltdriver82]
    #11862658 - 01/19/10 09:44 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

fltdriver82 said:

I used an improved version of this tek once then decided it was somewhat obsolete because the CO2 picks up a lot of moisture as it bubbles through the vinegar. Instead, I suggest you use a piece of dry ice (runs 1$/1Lb. break off a piece for the shrooms, then have fun with the rest :smile:)

Even easier, use compressed air for dusting computers. The gas is inert and acts like CO2, dense and easy to "fill"
a bottle with.

fltdriver, the gas is to prevent oxidation of the active compounds. The drying is what prevents bacterial growth.

What I do is take a silica-packet from a shoe box and "toast" it at about 200 degrees for 20 minutes or so. This recharges the silica. Then place the packet in the jar to absorb any moisture remaining.

I've been storing over three ounces of dried cubes for almost two years now without anyone ever seeing anything. I keep mine in mason jars; they hide better than the drying chamber. Trust me dude, get those mushrooms well-hidden and out of the drying chamber. I store mine as described and they're just as potent as the day they, uh...got here :wink: Just be creative and your mushrooms can last for years on end.
Myk

--------------------

Where would you rather be?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates