Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
What is a high resolution pic?
    #1184474 - 01/02/03 07:08 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Can anyone tell me what the "definition" of a high res pic is? How many dpi? etc...

The reason I'm asking is becuase I read an article about how some DEA agents come to boards (like this one) and they are able to extract peoples fingerprints from high resolution photos.

So whats considered a high resolution picutre?

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: What is a high resolution pic? [Re: Lana]
    #1186142 - 01/02/03 10:43 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I wouldnt sweat it. If this were the case, you would hear about them lifting prints from pictures alot more...

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Invisiblei am e goldstein
Your Friend

Loc: 4 Blocks from Ground Zero
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Lana]
    #1186262 - 01/03/03 02:03 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.
3DSHROOMS is either clueless or the worlds biggest SCUMBAG
I lie and exagerate constantly... God Bless America!

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: What is a high resolution pic? [Re: i am e goldstein]
    #1186334 - 01/03/03 02:42 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Hmmmmm, maybe I should rephrase my question.

i am e goldstein brought up a good point but one I've known. Many cameras will make an "imprint" or "fingerprint" on a pic so that if the pic is looked at closely, you an tell a Nikon camera, an Olympus, etc... took the picture. I know that there are tons of photo editing software that you can embed a "watermark" in the pic.

What I meant though was with a high resolution photo, one can supposedly enhance, sharpen, and crop it so much that you can actually get a human fingerprint from it.

For example, if I post a pic of a petri dish with some mycelia growing in it, and my thumbprint is on the top lid of the petri dish. And if the pic is of a high resolution, you can actually focus in on my fingerprint.

Is that more clear? Good observation though i am e goldstein

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #1186824 - 01/03/03 06:04 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I can define resolution in terms of maximum print size printable from the file, but have no idea of the capabilities of the US gov. to extract certain info from a certain resolution file. There is an equation used in microscopes to determine the resolution of the microscope. There may be a similar equation for cameras. One would need to know the distance between the grains in your fingerprints and could work backwards to determine the min resolution to discern that particular feature. There are also algorithms that can extract further definition from digital files. I suppose that someone in forensics may know the answere to this question, but not I.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

InvisibleAltec79
Stranger
    #1190891 - 01/04/03 06:10 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

If the DEA or other agencies were to try and identify human fingerprints on photos posted in forums like these, I imagine the photos would have to be at pretty insane resolutions (5+ megapixels?). I know that when I take uncompressed photos with my 3 megapixel, I seriously doubt I could find any discernable fingerprints unless the surface/lighting was perfect. However, the vast majority of the photos in these forums are compressed and are at lower resolutions so unless its a very close shot of a dish or jar, you won't be able to grab any visible prints.

EDIT: In answer to your original question, I think the definition of high resolution is based on comparrison and individual opinion. A few years ago, 2-3 megapixels was considered high resolution in the digital world, but lately that title has shifted to 5 megapixel and up. I'm not even going to try and venture into the world of film, the sizes and ratings are endless...

Edited by Altec79 (01/04/03 06:17 PM)

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #1191315 - 01/04/03 09:16 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I can only half answer your question by saying that, yes they can get fingerprints off of high resolution pics but the pic size would be too large to ever be uploaded to the Shroomery...

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies