Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejoerol
Loner
Help, need a question answered
    #1183157 - 01/01/03 03:38 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

This is my first time posting here but I have a question now I know that you can't get in a permanent mind trip but my friend swears to god that he is in a permanent mind trip and I haven't seen him since the last time we tripped(3 days ago) I haven't physically talked to him but I talked to his brother and he says he is messed up, now I just want assurance that this can't be for real, thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: Help, need a question answered [Re: joerol]
    #1183489 - 01/01/03 07:22 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Psychedelics can and do precipitate symptoms of mental illness. This occurs when mental illness is already present and the psychedelic reduces the ego-defenses that lots of people at this forum refer to as 'ego-loss.' This might sound a bit technical (I am a psychotherapist), but the point is that psychedelics can even produce their own disorder - Hallucinogen Persistent Perceptual Disorder, in which visuals and auditory distortions do not subside. Schizophrenia, if already 'under the surface', can become symptomatic.

You haven't spoken to him, but you're not in a position to evaluate his condition anyway. If your friend is behaving bizarrely, having complaints, delusions, etc., then he needs to be evaluated by a [hopefully] compassionate mental health practitioner.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Help, need a question answered [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1183586 - 01/01/03 08:25 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

right-on, Mark.

And good luck to your friend, joerol. If possible, you should suggest to him that he get checked out or something..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (01/01/03 08:26 PM)

Offlinealright
Stranger
Re: Help, need a question answered [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1183759 - 01/01/03 11:42 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hey Markos,

How would I go about finding a 'compassionate' practicioner?

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Help, need a question answered [Re: joerol]
    #1186959 - 01/03/03 08:55 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

emergency treatment of nagging psychic distortions may be able to be ameliorated by popping some niacinamide...
as for finding the right mental health professional... well, you can shop around, or ask around, or search for networks of possibilities online (& in current books...) --- online there is some sort of network, maybe modeled after some of stan grof's work... and there is also prolly a loose alliance of shrinks who use the niacinamide treatement for persisitent disordered mentalflow...
the first is something like spiriual emergence network or spiritual crisis network... and the second maybe though schitzophrenics anonymous, or finding a physician or psychiatrist specializing in "orthomolecular psychiatry" or megavitamin therapy (based much on the work of abram hoffer)
~
"there sometimes is a transitory secondary phase
it's not unusual for it to last for days..."
(from joe byrd & the united states of america: "i think it's over now")
~
good luck for your friend...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Edited by gnrm23 (01/03/03 08:57 AM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: Help, need a question answered [Re: alright]
    #1190221 - 01/04/03 01:49 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Like gnrm23 said, you'll have to inquire. After an initial crisis is dealt with, and follow up treatment is sought, one can phone around and simply ask the therapist if [s]he understands that people do you psychedelics for inner work, or if the therapist has little or no understanding and tolerance. Also, just because one has found a serious use does not mean that one's use is completely about that. A therapist can help one look at other motivations like escapism, a lazy attempt at chemical transcendence (instead of work on ethics, morals, recollected mind, etc), or a misguided understanding about what the ego is and how it is not to be gotten rid of. Ego defenses and wrong identifications with ego are to be gotten rid of. Insistance, coercion, scare tactics, etc. are all indicative of a power motive on the part of the therapist, not Compassion.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience