Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGrzyby
Janitor w/light cooking duties
Male User Gallery

Mountain mushroom farm-updated pictures 24 May 2010
    #11830861 - 01/14/10 07:23 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

ANy updates???

Edited by RogerRabbit (05/25/10 09:27 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: Grzyby]
    #11832193 - 01/14/10 10:33 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Well, so far this month I've sterilized and inoculated 400 pounds of rye berries, and yesterday got a tractor trailer load of 600 bales of straw delivered. One whole bay of my barn is now stacked to the ceiling with straw bales and I caught my neighbor's cows in there today munching on it.  I briefly thought 'T-bone steaks' before I called him to come get them. :lol:

I'm hoping for first oyster mushrooms by early March, if not a tad sooner.  Shiitake should be coming out by the first of April.  It looks like my colonization room is going to hold more than I planned.  That whole 400 lbs of rye only covers half of one shelf, and I've got 12 shelves!
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11832254 - 01/14/10 10:45 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

:congrats: 400 lbs is a lot of sterility. Some people have problems keeping a handful of jars sterile, and here you are with 400 lbs of rye berries keeping everything sterile. Also, 12 shelves is going to be an enormous amount of mushrooms. Looking forward to seeing the results! How's the book coming? :smile:

Edited by nooneman (01/14/10 10:46 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: nooneman]
    #11832479 - 01/14/10 11:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

How's the book coming?

I put that down for the time being. It's mostly done, except for the chapters on small farm operation. Since this is a model to attract grant funding to duplicate it around the country, if I'm successful I want to include a chapter on the hoops to jump through to make that happen.  The NRCS has money available to help set up small farms to supply local produce to local markets.  I'll be growing local mushrooms on local farm waste for local markets, and then the spent substrates will be going for local animal feeds and soil reclamation projects.  I really feel this is going to get some funding down the road when they see it in operation.  The grants won't help with this project, but will be in place for others who want to pursue this model.

I also want to take it large scale in some of the abandoned mines in this area.  They're the perfect environment and already have ventilation systems and rail tracks installed, just sitting there rusting.  That's all in the future though.  Gotta make this one work first.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

Loc: In the moment
    #11833624 - 01/15/10 08:03 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I briefly thought 'T-bone steaks' before I called him to come get them. :lol:

Yeah I bet! :lol:

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I'll be growing local mushrooms on local farm waste for local markets, and then the spent substrates will be going for local animal feeds and soil reclamation projects.  RR

I like this idea. :super:

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek
The Story Of Russell The Texas (Cube) Bear

The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
-Arnold J. Toynbee

Offlinefaffle
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#11833638 - 01/15/10 08:07 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

That will be perfect, especially here in the midwest, where all of our gourmet mushrooms at the store are shipped here from California, and look like crap.  I've already received one grant for that reason.

One question, how the hell did you cook 400 lbs of rye??:shocked:

--------------------

OfflineGrzyby
Janitor w/light cooking duties
Male User Gallery

Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: faffle]
    #11834200 - 01/15/10 10:20 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

That's great! Really want to see everything fruiting. How are you going to store the mushrooms after harvesting? Also curious what your thinking for packing boxes/crates once harvested? When do you see these grants becoming available? Lastly what is NRCS?

Offline3500lt
Stranger
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: Grzyby]
    #11834414 - 01/15/10 11:09 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

how do you get grants for this. im goona turn my garage into a shiitake/oyster growing room and use my basment for incubating spawn. i live in MN and all the oysters around here are nasty. and i cant find anything besides dried shiitake. i think there is some money in it, but i am building a passion for this and would love to start a buisness with it! stay tuned this spring for the 55 gallon stainless steal sterilizer!!

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado mount. top
    #11834443 - 01/15/10 11:15 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

I also want to take it large scale in some of the abandoned mines in this area.  They're the perfect environment and already have ventilation systems and rail tracks installed, just sitting there rusting.  That's all in the future though.  Gotta make this one work first.
RR

in the book?

i would like a copy asap for the grant info and i too am looking into mines. but that is large scale stuff way down the line.

--------------------
some people just don't get it:spank:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11241796
so here is a video or two or three for you guys:rolleyes:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: ratdog]
    #11838596 - 01/15/10 11:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

NRCS is the National Resource Conservation Service and is part of the US Dept of Agriculture.  Check out the link. There's some interesting reading there.  It's really hard to get startup money from them, but if you already have a viable farm going and have an idea for conservation related farming, which mushroom growing by definition is, they're one source of expansion funds.  There's others.  I'm also one of the officers on our county economic development authority, and I'm a board supervisor on the county conservation district.  Through those, I'm able to stay in the loop of what's going on.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #11838764 - 01/15/10 11:50 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

just amazing RR
you give us small time growers inspiration and a reason to want to go big
i might not reply much in the threads but i do read and take notes
im hitting up a few local privately owned restaurants tomorrow
with a sample of some oysters as well as some pictures of past grows
to see if i can get something set up
time to break out the slacks and tie:lol:
cant wait to see this progress

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Offlinecowlitz
Troll,Devonian
 User Gallery

Loc: Damp
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #11842932 - 01/16/10 06:26 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Great stuff RR. Looking at your design and hearing about your progress gets me jazzed up about my own fledgling plans.

I was surfing around and came across this: http://thefarmery.com/ That I thought you and others would be interested in if you haven't seen it. Its a pretty interesting design combining mushroom grows and hydroponic veggies with an urban location in mind.

Keep up the good work!
Cowlitz

Offlinewlh_99
Stranger

#11843631 - 01/16/10 08:29 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
RR

'cause 400lbs taking up less than 1/12th of your current space isn't large enough? Planning on shipping some of that product further down the coast? It would be cool to so some on the shelves in the gourmet markets down here.

I guess if it ain't worth going all out, it ain't worth going.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: wlh_99]
    #11843929 - 01/16/10 09:26 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I doubt seriously I can supply more than my own and the adjoining counties.  If I get this area saturated and still have capacity, I'll send them down to Spokane, WA and Coeur d'Alene, ID, each of which is about a 3 1/2 hour drive.  That 400 lbs was dry weight by the way, eight 50 pound bags.  Since that post, I've emptied out four more bags, making it 600 pounds since Jan 3.

I've thought about mail order, but it adds expense to the consumer and packing time at this end.  I'm hoping to load up fifty to sixty pounds at a time and take them to our local co-op, which is only 45 minutes away.  We live in the boonies.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

Loc: south
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: wlh_99]
    #11843970 - 01/16/10 09:34 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

nice roger.. sounds like alotta spawn.. when ya gonna start making some bags? how many sterilizers do u have and what kinds?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: SOUTHERN]
    #11844040 - 01/16/10 09:45 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'll be running out of rye grain by tomorrow or the next day, and my next truck doesn't get here until the 27th, so I'll switch to making up some sawdust bags and straw logs.  My intention was to ramp up a shitload of grain spawn, and then refrigerate it while I sterilize the sawdust, and pasteurize the straw.

I have four AA 75X sterilizers, an AA 921 I use for agar and jars, and an AA 941 I hardly use at all except for soaking grain. I also have four food grade 55 gallon drums set up to pasteurize straw, using propane.  I'm working on a 5 psi steam sterilizer, using a 55 gallon drum.  Next summer if I have time, I'll build a wood fired sterilizer.  I already have the fire brick, mortar and an unlimited supply of firewood, so that's probably the way to go.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

#11846050 - 01/17/10 09:03 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

how many quart jars did it take to house 400 pounds spawn.. i just recently bought 350 pounds of wheat myself. i have hardly made a dent in it and i already got about 40 maybe 50 jars

InvisibleLokelYokel
I Gro Fuud
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Heart
    #11846055 - 01/17/10 09:06 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'm betting RR doesn't fool with jars but uses mycobags instead.

--------------------
ReUse! RePurpose! ReCycle!  "Mom says use it again!"

OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: LokelYokel]
    #11846065 - 01/17/10 09:10 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yeah i thought that myself,i remember reading a long time ago.. i think he said he liked jars better. but i was just curious

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11846673 - 01/17/10 11:51 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I use quart jars for grain masters.  Once they're colonized and checked for purity, they're each used to spawn 2 filter patch bags, holding 6 quarts of grain each.  It would be really hard to do as much spawn as I'm doing with jars.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Loc: HOME SWEET HOME
    #11847036 - 01/17/10 01:01 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I'll be running out of rye grain by tomorrow or the next day, and my next truck doesn't get here until the 27th, so I'll switch to making up some sawdust bags and straw logs.  My intention was to ramp up a shitload of grain spawn, and then refrigerate it while I sterilize the sawdust, and pasteurize the straw.

I have four AA 75X sterilizers, an AA 921 I use for agar and jars, and an AA 941 I hardly use at all except for soaking grain. I also have four food grade 55 gallon drums set up to pasteurize straw, using propane.  I'm working on a 5 psi steam sterilizer, using a 55 gallon drum.  Next summer if I have time, I'll build a wood fired sterilizer.  I already have the fire brick, mortar and an unlimited supply of firewood, so that's probably the way to go.
RR

i've been thinking of making a steam pasturizer out of  a few 5gal metal buckets. i get them at work they are laquer thinner buckets so i dont think they have any kind of liner and i'm hopeing the paint on the outside is high temp since it doesn't corrode from the thinner:shrug:

i was thinking of using a water heater element of some sort? i'm in the suburbs so i was thinking elec. may be the way yto go. i do have a fire pit but i don't know how long the bucket would hold up. plus i could run it in my shop without open flame.

if you see where i'm going with this, am i on the right track? are there products like this?

sorry if i'm getting off topic. i've been trying to follow your project. we are looking to buy a campground ( 2-5 years from now ) and we're looking for something with extra property to do somethinglike this. even though my skills, time and knowledge are limited (i do OK), i'm trying to scale up my projects as much as i can comfortably with a small house and still working for a living.

--------------------
Formula: 0:levitate: Formula: 1                                                                                                     
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

#11847039 - 01/17/10 01:02 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i figured u might say that. so i need to get some bags huh? or i'm gonna have a trillion jars lol.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11849814 - 01/17/10 09:35 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Some types of 55 gallon drums have threaded caps, which I believe are exactly the size for water heater elements to screw into.  Search back a month or two in this forum.  Somebody made one that way.  If you're looking at 5 gallon size, I'd just get a large kettle and do it on the kitchen stove.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlineurbanfarmer
l'estranger
    #11849969 - 01/17/10 10:00 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Some types of 55 gallon drums have threaded caps, which I believe are exactly the size for water heater elements to screw into.  Search back a month or two in this forum.  Somebody made one that way.  If you're looking at 5 gallon size, I'd just get a large kettle and do it on the kitchen stove.
RR

I've been hacking on that.  Pics soon.

...also, *goddamn* but lion's mane spawn grows much faster than their cultivator builds sterilization gear.

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

#11854325 - 01/18/10 04:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

SOUTHERN said:
i figured u might say that. so i need to get some bags huh? or i'm gonna have a trillion jars lol.

i've bees doing it in the kitchen like in your vids. i can already do more like that than on the stove. i'm thinking more like 3 - 5gals. first one with water and element and next two packed with straw. i found a thermometer with a 12 - 18" stem that should reach close to the middle of the straw. i'd like to do enugh for 4-6 8x30 logs at a time.

i'll search around like you said. thanks, good to know i atleast have a viable idea.

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineJabbawaya

#11856347 - 01/18/10 09:36 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Amazing work :handth:! What an ambitious project, I hope others follow your model. You're actually doing a lot of good for public health by bringing this food/medicine to the market :crazy2:.

--------------------

OfflineIsolatedwedge
Stranger

Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: Jabbawaya]
    #11858152 - 01/19/10 07:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

are 55gallon steam sterilyzers better than filling it up with liquid?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: Isolatedwedge]
    #11859323 - 01/19/10 12:23 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

You couldn't fill it up with liquid if there were spawn bags in there.  The liquid would penetrate and ruin the mix.  I'll find out soon enough how it works on a commercial scale and post the results, good or bad.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineSOUTHERN
NAIL DRIVER
 User Gallery

#11861040 - 01/19/10 05:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

there is a utube video of a guy pasturizing in a 50 gallon plastic drum turned on its side. it has a water heater element in each end. looks like a good idea. if u go to utube and put in oyster mushroom it will come up i'm pretty sure.

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

#11861518 - 01/19/10 06:32 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: artizen]
    #11861616 - 01/19/10 06:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i use a crawfish pot or for you northern guys crab pot a big one with a basket that fits inside. i use rocks to keep the bottom up out of the water and steam the straw to 170 deg F then turn it off and on to maintain temp.

i then make my own bags

i prefer the smaller kind so it does not go bad in the middle so easy.

i use a homemade misting system and wet dry bulb too.

anyway the crawfish pot works well and the rocks seem to maintain the temp well too.

--------------------
some people just don't get it:spank:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11241796
so here is a video or two or three for you guys:rolleyes:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11861947 - 01/19/10 07:39 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

What size is that crab pot?  I like the insert.  It looks like it was made for our use.

I'm making a basket frame out of angle iron and covering it with hardware cloth, to fit in my 55 gallon drums.  I'm making a lower basket and an upper basket, since I'm too wimpy in my old age to lift 50 gallons of wet straw all at once. :wink:
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

#11862059 - 01/19/10 08:04 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
What size is that crab pot?  I like the insert.  It looks like it was made for our use.

I'm making a basket frame out of angle iron and covering it with hardware cloth, to fit in my 55 gallon drums.  I'm making a lower basket and an upper basket, since I'm too wimpy in my old age to lift 50 gallons of wet straw all at once. :wink:
RR

that's part of why i want to do steam pasturizing, the weight. you probobly got 15years on me but, i'm 140 soaking wet, 2 slipped disks and an artificial knee.  :crutches:

i looked at some of those crab pots, they were mostly 30qt.
what do think of this?

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11862132 - 01/19/10 08:17 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Even with that, you'd still have to soak the straw for at least a few hours to hydrate it, so it would be heavy to lift out.  I'll be using my barrels in a similar method to sterilize sawdust bags.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

#11862157 - 01/19/10 08:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i think its 80 + qts

Offlineloggin shrooms
Stranger
    #11869896 - 01/20/10 11:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

RR  You got the fire brick and mortar -  well maybe I should pop down and build that sucker for you.  I've just retired from 40 years of building them (brick stone tile etc.)for other people.  I want to do a mixed market garden/mushroom organic thing as a retirement project. Who knows, maybe even a little aquaponics.  I've had pretty good success with all my shroom projects and attempts so far but figure I got just a little bit more to learn, maybe. 
Cowlitz, I like the link to the Farmery.  I have read a bit about vertical farming lately.  Integrated small scale farming can offer some real opportunity. Like any other business it will take the skill to produce the products and at the same time require  diligence and acumen to produce a working business plan. Not to mention start up cost etc.  Maybe that is where RR's model might have a benefit for others down the road. Association and cooperation with people producing other crops or products could yield some good results. Local farmers institues or such might be a place to start meeting others. I have just talked to a local flour mill about getting their bran (organic), they have just been giving it away to get rid of it! Plus the chickens love it = free eggs - sell those- buy more materials. Sort of similar to the two coffee shops where I pick up grounds for my compost.  Did you know that worms love coffee grounds and that worms are very high in protein and that chickens love worms?  =MORE FREE EGGS! I have an arrangement to clear the lake weeds, really easy, from the beach of a near by RV park, that too goes on the compost, and of course there is always cleaning up the cow and horse and sheep poop from farms around here.  Not exactly federal grant stuff but it is the basics and it all adds up.  See what's available and how it can be utilized and then start working on it.  Small projects have a way of growing.There are business models out there.
Noobie mentioned that he is going to talk to restaurants.  I am always pleased by peoples acceptance of farm gate or local products.  Locally produced food is getting a lot more press and acceptance all the time.  Lots of people are willing to pay for good quality and locally produced.
Anyway, bunny man I love the idea you are working on. And, if you ever need a hand, I know an old retire guy with 40 years of building experience that wants to learn a little more about what grows on shit.

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: loggin shrooms]
    #11871783 - 01/21/10 11:47 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Would you have someone to your house who called you Bunny Man ?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (01/21/10 11:44 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: Jef]
    #11871801 - 01/21/10 11:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Jef said:

:lmafo:

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: loggin shrooms]
    #11871804 - 01/21/10 11:51 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Would you have someone to your house who called you Bunny Man ?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (01/21/10 11:44 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: Jef]
    #11874438 - 01/21/10 06:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The fire brick is under three feet of snow, and I have a full pallet of mortar mix covered with plastic sheeting that looks like a giant snow drift.  That project will have to wait for June.

I may have posted this link to conservation innovative grants already, but it bears repeating. You guys need to write up some abstracts and submit them.  The worst they can say is 'no' and you'll have learned something about the process.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

#11874992 - 01/21/10 07:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i don't understand alot of this end of the process but my wife is taking a course in grant writing for future shrooming purposes. i started reading the abstract instructions and it says the deadline is dec.17 2009.
somewhere else down the instructions it says something about a commitment to give a symposium. is this what an abstract submission is for? to offer a presentation to aquire funding? sorry if i'm a little off topic here. just curious

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11875068 - 01/21/10 07:41 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

They bumped that date to Feb 5.  I may have accidentally linked to an old page.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisibleartizen
JEFFERSONIAN
Male

#11875104 - 01/21/10 07:45 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

cool, i'll let the bussiness brains in the relationship take a peek.

thanks for all the info here and on your site. you are an inspiration.

--------------------
HCA               AMU
IN  LOVING  MEMORY

1.6.1917  -  4.3.2010

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11875233 - 01/21/10 08:10 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry, I posted the wrong link above.  I meant to post the specialty crop grant.  This link is to the Washington State Dept of Agriculture, but they'll be administering Federal funds.  Although mushrooms are not listed as a 'specialty crop', I've applied for this one in the past and it is definitely accepted.  In fact, I had to withdraw last year after submitting a concept paper because I was completely booked with other projects.

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisiblewygram
Myconaut

Trusted Cultivator
    #11878111 - 01/22/10 11:01 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

This may not be the same in states other than Washington, but for the grant did you have demonstrate viability by already having a running mushroom farm?

--------------------
Changing your mind is one of the best ways of finding out whether or not you still have one.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: wygram]
    #11878165 - 01/22/10 11:10 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

In paperwork no, but in reality the panels that review these applications want to know one isn't just bullshitting.  There's increased scrutiny on the stimulus funds because many of the jobs that were supposed to be created were not, and that money was simply 'stolen'.  The purpose of these grants isn't to supply start-up money, but rather to help farmers find new markets or new techniques for farming in this new era.  The emphasis is on job creation, so bear that in mind when you submit your concept paper, but don't overestimate the number of jobs you expect to create if your grant gets approved.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineIsolatedwedge
Stranger

#12584953 - 05/18/10 10:55 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Whats the status on your grant? Have the people come out to see your farm in action? Im assuming you are in full swing since you thought you would be harvesting by april.

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #12589195 - 05/18/10 10:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm curious as well.

OfflineTexasMyco
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #12600439 - 05/20/10 07:44 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

whats the word on the farm?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: TexasMyco]
    #12600520 - 05/20/10 07:57 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

We just finished up the earth work on the top of it yesterday, and got the grass and wild flower seeds planted just before dark.  Took today off, but tomorrow I've got to extend the vent pipes another 8 feet to get them above grade level.  We've now got 48" of soil on top at the entrance and 9 feet of soil at the rear over the fruiting area.  The rock entrance wall has now tripled in size from the pictures posted last fall and winter.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow or the next day of the exterior and get them up if I have time.  Today was a combination of rain and snow all day, so we both took the day off and watched some movies while we rested our bones.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineIsolatedwedge
Stranger

#12602635 - 05/21/10 06:40 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Are you harvesting mushrooms yet? What about the people that were supposed to come see the farm in operation so they could give you the grant you applied for?

sounds awesome cant wait to see the pics!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #12603175 - 05/21/10 09:51 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, we're pulling about 20 pounds per day at 25% of capacity.  Once all the bugs are worked out of the system, I'll ramp up to 100% production.  We just got the dirt moved during the last week over the top to repair the damage done as all the snow melted.  There's still a lot of construction work to do before I can ramp up to 100%.  I'll update on the grant situation as more info is known, but it won't be before I'm at 100% production and still can't fill market demand.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12623624 - 05/24/10 11:27 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Here's a few new pictures taken today. I used the gas welder because my oxy/acet bottles are lighter than carrying my electric welder up there and I didn't have an electrode cable long enough to leave it on ground level.  The original pipes I'm welding the extensions onto were 8 feet long, so that's how deep it's buried now.

The earth work is complete except where I still need to fill in around the air vent pipes in the rear.  I got the first coat of primer on them today.  Weather permitting, I'll get the color coats on tomorrow. You can also see the air vents in the first picture, to get an idea of how deep the cave is. After a bit more dirt work, it's ready for landscaping. :laugh:
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisiblelazy bones
Stranger
 User Gallery

#12644924 - 05/28/10 11:53 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Wow. All I can say is Wow.

No wait, I can also get out, Holy shit that is a ton of work! Kudo's Roger.

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: lazy bones]
    #12659146 - 05/31/10 01:52 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Simply amazing info in this thread. I have to be a part of this.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

OfflineTexasMyco
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: dancefloordale]
    #12663179 - 05/31/10 08:35 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Is there a chance we could see the fruiting room in action at 20% capacity?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: TexasMyco]
    #12665487 - 06/01/10 08:47 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Nope. :laugh:

I'll take pictures when it's completely full. Here's one before the rest of the lighting was installed.  There's now a combination of 8 PAR 30 LED spotlights and 6500K CFLs, not shown in this picture.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineTexasMyco
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #12665834 - 06/01/10 10:44 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

pics or it didnt happen :wink:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #12665881 - 06/01/10 10:55 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

TexasMyco said:
pics or it didnt happen :wink:

Correct, it didn't happen. . .yet.  It's not full yet, and now it looks like it will be late July or August before it is.  I don't want to overwhelm my distribution chain with product until I get that end of the business established.

In addition, we just got the dirt work done outside, after working on it from snowmelt until now.  We're just getting back to the production angle.  Some of the first of my grass seed is sprouting today up on top. :laugh:
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineTexasMyco
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #12666258 - 06/01/10 12:01 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I was referring to the 20lbs a day production pics. Im sure Im not the only one that would like to at least see that.

OfflineIsolatedwedge
Stranger

#12667942 - 06/01/10 05:47 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

TM I told u he was BS'ing. Get off his nuts already. Also I contacted the conservation district near there and they have never heard about any grant proposals from his farm.

InvisibleSeagoat
~
 User Gallery

Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: Isolatedwedge]
    #12669450 - 06/01/10 10:01 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Isolatedwedge said:
TM I told u he was BS'ing. Get off his nuts already. Also I contacted the conservation district near there and they have never heard about any grant proposals from his farm.

Don't be a douche. RR isn't going to pony up pictures just because you want them. If you can't see the amount of work he's done already from the pics he's posted then you don't know jack. I'd love to see you build a rock wall like that on your own, instead of annoying someone who works many times harder and smarter than you have the nuts for.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #12672783 - 06/02/10 02:45 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Isolatedwedge said:

No, you didn't or the call would have been referred to me as a conservation district board supervisor. Be very careful who you accuse of lying around here. In addition, everything you see in these pictures was done and paid for in full by my wife and I.  I've helped others to understand the grant process because as a public official, I'm often involved in those things.  I've never said that what I've built and shown here was paid for by the taxpayers.  This project is on my nickel. 

Now, you'll show courtesy and respect to all members in this forum or don't post here.  This isn't OTD.  Go whine there if you don't like it. :nono:
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisiblecaphillkid
Coquus Boleti

Loc: Jet City
    #12673057 - 06/02/10 03:40 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I want to visit your man cave...man.  Awesome work!  :thumbup:

OfflineIsolatedwedge
Stranger

Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: caphillkid]
    #12673169 - 06/02/10 04:03 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe the person I contacted doesnt like you. Anyways, no one said you didnt put time and money into your project, Im just saying it would be easy to prove me wrong by showing the cave at 25% capacity.

Seems that "pics or it didnt happen" is the mantra around here so I was just following suit, not whining.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #12674155 - 06/02/10 07:05 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Isolatedwedge said:
it would be easy to prove me wrong by showing the cave at 25% capacity.

I have no interest in proving you wrong.  I stated previously that I'll post pictures when the fruiting room is full.  It's not yet full.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinenexus1946
Rebel
 User Gallery

Loc: In the moment
    #12720288 - 06/10/10 12:04 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Nothing short of awesome work RR! Well done!

I look forward to seeing your future progress. :super:

--------------------
Gypsum/Drywall Tek
The Story Of Russell The Texas (Cube) Bear

The human race's prospects of survival were considerably better when we were defenceless against tigers than they are today when we have become defenceless against ourselves.
-Arnold J. Toynbee

Invisiblehcrider
 User Gallery

Loc: Fishbowl
Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: nexus1946]
    #12721130 - 06/10/10 03:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

just another post saying how amazing that looks , very nice work RR!
i cant wait to see the 100% pics that is really going to be something.:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

OfflineCloneufc
Master Exploder!
Male

Loc: Las Vegas Flag
Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: hcrider]
    #12724640 - 06/11/10 04:43 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This is a very cost effective setup. I like the idea of not having to heat or cool the building. What about using solar power to power the LED lights? What is your biggest overhead?

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: Cloneufc]
    #12744076 - 06/14/10 09:23 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Good ?

What is the largest overhead you deal with?

Invisibledwpineal
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: ratdog]
    #12758243 - 06/17/10 01:54 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

That's amazing, I want you to build me a mushroom-hobbit house :smile:

Actually there's a lot of info on your site, brother, thanks very much for putting all that up for everyone. Very cool!!!

Light and Love,
DW

OfflineTexasMyco
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #12768953 - 06/19/10 12:44 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ratdog said:
Good ?

Im curious too.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #12771014 - 06/19/10 09:18 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ratdog said:
Good ?

Construction was the biggie. 

Now that it's finished, the first few loads of sawdust had to be hauled from Seattle, over 300 miles each direction.  That cost a fortune in gas, but the snow hadn't melted here yet to allow the loggers to start supplying the sawmills.  This year, I'll stock up in the fall with enough to last all winter.  I have a pretty big barn, so I'll have lots of space for sawdust and straw.

Propane for sterilization costs about $3 each time I run the 55 gallon drum sterilizer for a ten hour cycle.

Filter patch bags cost a bit over $300 per thousand.

Electricity is negligible.  I have the mushroom cave fed from the house panel, and most of the electricity comes from solar panels.  What's used from the utility adds less than $5/month to the bill.

The biggest thing I guess is our labor to do it all.  We put in ten to twelve hour days, but at least we're making a living without having to leave our mountain hide out for a 'regular' job.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinepunkin
Friend of a Friend Who seems OK
Male

Loc: Northern NSW Orstrayllya Flag
    #12771493 - 06/19/10 11:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Do you reuse your bags RR?

I've been using bags for spawn and then using them again to hold pastuerised straw for growing. If i either take the straw log out of the bag in my fc, or just roll the top of the bag down to allow them to fruit from the top, i think i'd be able to run the cycle again?

Sterilised with grain and then pausterised with straw.

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

OfflineCloneufc
Master Exploder!
Male

Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: punkin]
    #12772014 - 06/20/10 03:03 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I commend your efforts. Mushroom farming is some of the hardest work out there. I went large scale for a week and grew tired of the labor involved. I couldn't imagine doing it for a living. Having your own business and not having to work for someone else is probably the only thing that keeps you going. I do window cleaning and I thought that was hard work, it's nothing compared to mushroom farming. The good thing is you'll made a good living and not have to worry about getting fat.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #12772495 - 06/20/10 07:53 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Cloneufc said:
The good thing is you'll make a good living and not have to worry about getting fat.

That's for sure!  I take at least 2 days a week off to hike and camp in the mountains in summer and I snow shoe and snowboard during the winter.  Plus, since we don't have a conveyor system, the spawn bags which are mixed in the house, have to be hauled in a wheelbarrow to the sterilizer barrels outside, and then hauled back into the house where the lab is one of the bedrooms, and then wheelbarrowed back to the cave for colonization and fruiting.  That's a lot of pushing!

Quote:

punkin said:
Do you reuse your bags RR?

Yes.  I use brand new filter patch bags for grain spawn, but these are then re-used for small straw logs later.  I also re-use the grain bags for sawdust substrates, but the bags are destroyed when the sawdust is removed by cutting the bag away, so two uses are about all I can get out of one.  I really wish someone would develop a bio-degradable spawn bag for mushroom use.  I hate using all that plastic and then throwing it out.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineIsolatedwedge
Stranger

#12785035 - 06/22/10 02:41 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Are you not using rye berries anymore?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #12785090 - 06/22/10 02:50 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Rye berries are the only spawn media I use.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12785226 - 06/22/10 03:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I used rye berries for a while, then I found white millet. I have heard it's what most commercial spawn suppliers use. It's cheaper is the main thing, but since it's smaller it also offers quicker hydration time and more inoculation points. What are the advantages that rye offers over millet?
Tao

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: fungus_tao]
    #12787104 - 06/22/10 08:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The low surface starch is the big one for me.  In addition, it's easier to shake than millet.  All the spawn suppliers I've ever dealt with use rye berries.  I have the procedure for prep down to a T and mrs rabbit's job is to prepare it.  If she can do it and not screw it up, anybody can.(I can say that because I know she doesn't read this board) :lol:
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineIsolatedwedge
Stranger

#12789265 - 06/23/10 08:53 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Rye berries are the only spawn media I use.
RR

wouldnt that be considered overhead? how much do you spend on rye berries a month?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #12789501 - 06/23/10 10:02 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

We're up to about 800 to 1,000 pounds per month of rye berries, around $400 delivered.  That's not a major consideration, but still overhead.  As already said, our biggest overhead is labor, even though it's our own.  If we were paying employees, plus the expense of FICA and workers comp insurance, it would gobble up most of our profit.  At some point, we'll have to go that route as we grow, but for now, the two of us can handle the facility we have.

I'll know a lot more by this winter what our longer-term profit and/or losses will be after we've been at full production for a few months.  I'll have a pretty good handle on what the contamination rate and other factors will be by then too.

We've had the wettest year on record so far, and have been dealing with small landslides over the farm, since the rain started coming down before we had the grass and other vegetation established.  We've had to take a lot of time off from growing to make repairs.  I'm also pouring concrete around the sterilization barrels to get them ready to use all next winter.  It's all part of the process, but I won't be able to ramp up to 'full' production until all the construction is finished.

In addition to that, we're both tired of working 7 days a week, so we've promised ourselves to take at least two days a week to go hiking and camping in the mountains near our property.  We're blessed with sharing a property line with the Colville National Forest, so we can go hiking and backpack/camping right from our front door in over 3 million acres of mountain wilderness without ever starting the car. :laugh:
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineIsolatedwedge
Stranger

#12789874 - 06/23/10 11:26 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Huh? so far it is your biggest overhead. And one time fees for construction equipment isnt overhead. Overhead is continued expenses, IE electricity, bags, water, berries,straw......WTF buddy? you are full of s@*t with this bunker, lets be honest your first batch of berries contaminated which is why you cant show pics of your farm at current status to us because it would discredit your "Supreme cultivator" stature around here.

Invisiblenooneman
Male

#12791731 - 06/23/10 05:01 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Isolatedwedge said:
Huh? so far it is your biggest overhead. And one time fees for construction equipment isnt overhead. Overhead is continued expenses, IE electricity, bags, water, berries,straw......WTF buddy? you are full of s@*t with this bunker, lets be honest your first batch of berries contaminated which is why you cant show pics of your farm at current status to us because it would discredit your "Supreme cultivator" stature around here.

What's your problem, man? You seem a little angry for no reason. RR posts pictures of this thing all the time, I'm sure he'll post some more when the farm is at capacity. Have you seen his website: http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Mountain-Mushroom-Farm

He already said his biggest overhead is labor, which I'm sure it is. If he was working a normal job, he'd probably be making at least 50k+ per year. So, he's putting at least 50k per year in labor, which is a lot of overhead. Not to mention that labor involves, you know, hard physical work...

Edited by nooneman (06/23/10 05:04 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #12792458 - 06/23/10 06:47 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Isolatedwedge said:

This "Supreme cultivator" just banned your sorry ass. :lol:

I've been pouring concrete in the hot sun for 12 hours now around my sterilization barrels, completing yet another construction milestone, and came in to this when it was time to unwind.  You picked the wrong person to troll, grasshopper.

This is a forum for adults to share information about edibles.  It's not a playground for children with puppets.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinepunkin
Friend of a Friend Who seems OK
Male

Loc: Northern NSW Orstrayllya Flag
    #12792707 - 06/23/10 07:27 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you RR, bout time too. It's just plain unpleasant for everyone having to put up with trolls.

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

#12793091 - 06/23/10 08:39 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

punkin said:
Thank you RR, bout time too. It's just plain unpleasant for everyone having to put up with trolls.

:thumbup::thumbup: What a loser.

This is an inspiring and educational thread so far. I can't wait to see what the future brings :yesnod:

Invisiblesolarity
mm... my favourite food
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #12794734 - 06/24/10 01:45 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I've been pouring concrete in the hot sun for 12 hours now around my sterilization barrels, completing yet another construction milestone,
RR

Do I gather you are making 55gal concrete-jacketed pressure cookers ?! Subtle!:cool:

--------------------
Commercial exotics farmer for 8 years - now sold up!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: solarity]
    #12795250 - 06/24/10 07:39 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

No.  It's the support structure for the barrels, plus a work area to stand on.

Our climate zone only has three snow-free months out of the year, so essentially the entire summer(60F to 75F days) is spent getting ready for next winter.  With five or more feet of snow on the ground all winter, coupled with the heat from the sterilization barrels and propane burners, drainage becomes a real problem.  I have to be able to get rid of the melted snow, and with the ground frozen 5 feet deep, burying drain pipes is out of the question.

Since I'm building the only mushroom farm within 200 miles, I'm having to engineer this whole operation as I go along.  Nobody else has tried to pull this off.  I stopped at the nearest real 'supermarket' two days ago, which is a three hour drive away.  Even they don't have shiitake mushrooms, only stocking white button mushrooms imported from across the border in Canada.  The market is wide-open, once I get this thing into full production.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12797379 - 06/24/10 03:23 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I just got back from working on a 110-115F roof, unwinding now and reading this. Thanks for removing the trolls for us RR. You kind of are a "Supreme Cultivator" in that you have an awesome life. I would love to live in the mountains, not have to leave because I grow for grocery stores, and have access to 3 million acres to stroll around in. Too bad isolatedwedge couldn't pull that jelly fish out of his ass. :shrug:

I :heart: everyone here!
Tao

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

OfflineCloneufc
Master Exploder!
Male

Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: fungus_tao]
    #12800479 - 06/25/10 12:23 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Damn! I cant believe someone would come on here and say that. I've taken three psychology classes and anger stems from jealousy. Taken from

wikipedia: Jealousy is an emotion and typically refers to the negative thoughts and feelings of insecurity, fear, and anxiety over an anticipated loss of something that the person values, such as a relationship, friendship, or love.

Invisiblemycoelf
Agent Of Chaos
Male User Gallery

Loc: hyperspace Flag
    #12801547 - 06/25/10 09:05 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

dick

--------------------
Mycoelf

Sterility is a process that can be likened unto infinity, which is a long walk, the closer to the end you start before beginning, the more achievable  the goal of infinity becomes.  Remember, cleanliness in next to goddessness

:aliendance::aliendance::wicca::aliendance::aliendance::pipesmoke:

InvisibleSci-Fi
OG
Male User Gallery

#12804753 - 06/25/10 08:02 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

How do you keep the fruiting chamber warm enough when the ground is frozen 5 feet deep in the winter?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: Sci-Fi]
    #12804791 - 06/25/10 08:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The steam vent on my 55 gallon drum sterilizer runs into the mushroom house, with 1/2' copper pipe snaked through the concrete slab.

In addition, it's buried 8' deep at the rear, tapering down to slightly less at the front, and also has R-20 insulation on the roof, below the soil.  With the boiler running, I can easily heat it up to 65F when it's -20F outside.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

InvisibleSci-Fi
OG
Male User Gallery

#12804829 - 06/25/10 08:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I thought you only run your sterilizer ten hours. What about the time it's not on?

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

#12804981 - 06/25/10 08:58 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Sci-Fi said:
I thought you only run your sterilizer ten hours. What about the time it's not on?

Insulation?

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
In addition, it's buried 8' deep at the rear, tapering down to slightly less at the front, and also has R-20 insulation on the roof, below the soil.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #12806821 - 06/26/10 08:30 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Sci-Fi said:

A day/night temperature differential is a major pinning factor with shiitake.

With no heat at all, the coldest the underground farm ever gets is 45F.  Bear in mind, ground temperature ten feet below the surface is about 55F 365 days per year.  In addition, when the concrete slab on the floor heats up to over 90F during the time the sterilizer is running, it takes ten to twelve hours to cool back down.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

InvisibleSci-Fi
OG
Male User Gallery

Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12812722 - 06/27/10 02:38 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by Sci-Fi

Reason for deletion: Fail. It was already answered. sorry

Edited by Sci-Fi (06/27/10 05:07 PM)

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
    #12813316 - 06/27/10 04:50 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Yes.  I use brand new filter patch bags for grain spawn, but these are then re-used for small straw logs later.  I also re-use the grain bags for sawdust substrates, but the bags are destroyed when the sawdust is removed by cutting the bag away, so two uses are about all I can get out of one.  I really wish someone would develop a bio-degradable spawn bag for mushroom use.  I hate using all that plastic and then throwing it out.
RR

I've always hated this aspect of growing mushrooms, too.

There's a company called BioBags (http://www.biobagusa.com) that uses corn starches and polyester to make compost-able "plastic" bags.

SunChips recently started bagging their chips in the country's first 100% biodegradable bag.

Maybe one of the mycology supply sponsors could look into this. The material, at present, would probably melt like wax at sterilization temperatures, but one can always hope.

Invisiblenooneman
Male

#12813385 - 06/27/10 05:01 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sci-Fi said:
How does that work?

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
The steam vent on my 55 gallon drum sterilizer runs into the mushroom house, with 1/2' copper pipe snaked through the concrete slab.

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
    #12813599 - 06/27/10 05:48 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Also, just a few question about your long-term goals:

Are you planning on branching out from Shiitake after you're more established? I know they're the fastest growing aspect of the current the mushroom industry - the US is only now catching up with Chinese and Japanese shiitake production.

If you branch out, would you ever consider log cultivation in order to save on interior space for other species?

One of the biggest problems, I've read, regarding marketing more exotic mushrooms is lack of familiarity with them by the general public. People really only know about white button mushrooms. As a result, stores won't buy them because they'll rot before they can be sold.

I'm really interested in your business model as the mycoignorance of central NC is almost astounding - even our local farmers market only carries button mushrooms with the rare (and of dubious quality) shiitake specimens popping up every so often. There's a burgeoning shiitake market in my state because of the abundance of oak logs and a spawn coop with NC A&T's agricultural studies department, but it's still in its infancy. I've been trying to figure out the market for fresh oysters and reishi, although the autumn through spring months would be the only ones suitable for growing.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: Brennus]
    #12814221 - 06/27/10 08:03 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Brennus said:
Also, just a few question about your long-term goals:

Are you planning on branching out from Shiitake after you're more established?

If you branch out, would you ever consider log cultivation in order to save on interior space for other species?

We don't have the climate for outdoor log cultivation.  It's too hot and dry in the summer and down to -30F in winter.

I'll stick with shiitake only.  I only had to hand out a few free samples to get demand locally to where I can't keep up, and these people are mycophobes too.  Hopefully, once my summer construction season is over(and I cut my firewood, etc.) I'll ramp up to 100% capacity and have enough product to send across the pass to a town with real supermarkets and an organic health food store and market. For now, the local grocer and the 'tourist trap' food stands are taking everything I can grow.  I have a killer beer batter recipe for deep fried shiitake I shared with them, and it knocks people's socks off.  The mountains are full of bikers on vacation now, and they're eating them up.  Later, we'll have classic car clubs, hunters in the fall, ice fishermen and snowmobiles all winter, plus the locals.

Quote:

Brennus said:
I'm really interested in your business model as the mycoignorance of central NC is almost astounding - even our local farmers market only carries button mushrooms

I'm in a very remote area.  When I moved here, I got involved in local affairs to become known.  I participate in the various local fairs, giving demonstrations on how to grow mushrooms.  I'm an elected board supervisor on the county conservation district, and I'm also on the board of the Public Development Authority for the county seat, about 30 miles away, which has the mission of attracting business to our county. 

Between these, I'm now well known by the Mayor, Sheriff, all the county commissioners, the owners of the local grocery store, hardware store and both restaurants. This provided me a ready-made market, since they've known for the last year and a half that my farm was under construction.

Here's some updated pictures.  The grass is starting to grow now above the farm, and it's finally taking on a finished look. When I get time later this summer, I'm going to trim the trees behind the mushroom cave that are partially blocking the view of the mountain peak in the background.

I have the 55 gallon drum sterilizers taken apart to pour a concrete footing and slab under them.  The old system was put together last winter during -10 weather, with concrete blocks sitting on the frozen ground to hold the iron frame. I wanted a roof over it and something a bit more permanent. 

I'll use the same metal rack to hold the boiler and sterilization drum.  The second spot on the frame is for the pasteurization barrel, should I find a good straw loving shiitake strain.  I'll probably just leave it unpainted.  The paint would burn off anyway at the bottom, and since the square tubing is 1/4" thick, it's not going to rust through during my lifetime. 

I built the awning out of Lodgepole pine I cut from the area the farm was buried into.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinescienceguy
Instrument
Male

Loc: One Mile High... Flag
    #12941304 - 07/23/10 02:15 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

This whole endeavor has really excited me about the prospects of bringing a mushroom farm to my area...

:popcorn:

--------------------
"Freedom starts between the ears."

Edward Abbey

OfflineDagon
Ð12/-\GøN 7/-\m312

#12944970 - 07/24/10 11:20 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I have a killer beer batter recipe for deep fried shiitake I shared with them, and it knocks people's socks off. 

What is the secret recipe? ^.^

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: Dagon]
    #12945082 - 07/24/10 11:40 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

What is the secret recipe?

My Deep Fried Shiitake Recipe

1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup corn starch
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 handful of Saltine crackers crumbled up
1 handful of Kellogs corn flakes crumbled up
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper(I use a tablespoon.  If you're a weenie, use a teaspoon)
2 cans beer

Mix all the dry ingredients together first, and then mix in the beer, minus one good gulp out of each beer(aka cook's reward) before adding to the mix.  Make your batter a 'little bit' thinner than pancake batter.  If necessary, add more or less beer.

Slice your shiitake into strips and dip/soak in the batter for a minute or two, and then drop into hot deep frying oil.  Heat the Crisco until it's starting to smoke a bit, and then cook the mushrooms until nice and brown.  After removing, place on a rack to drain, and add a bit more salt if desired.  Dip in ketchup or chili sauce and enjoy while hot.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

InvisibleSci-Fi
OG
Male User Gallery

#12945890 - 07/24/10 02:26 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper(I use a tablespoon.  If you're a weenie, use a teaspoon)

RR

:lol:

and thanks for the recipe RR :thumbup:
I'm going to try this today.

OfflineeVenom
DRIFT on toBATTLE
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #12947866 - 07/24/10 09:52 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for that Recipe! will try it soon.

so the grow-room is still not at 100% capacity?

--------------------
eVenom

"Some of us like a nice buzz, while others want to climb a screaming volcano naked to meet god."
RR

InvisibleBlueDruid
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: eVenom]
    #12948951 - 07/25/10 05:51 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the recipe, I was actually planning to check the 'culinary arts' section for some edibles recipes but I'll give this a try when my shiitake fruit.

OfflineDagon
Ð12/-\GøN 7/-\m312

Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: BlueDruid]
    #12950001 - 07/25/10 12:00 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Cant wait to try it out, and I like it hot!

:hotidea:

InvisibleNuminosum
President of Turd Town
Male User Gallery

Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: Dagon]
    #12950094 - 07/25/10 12:21 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
...within my memory is the knowledge of hyper-light drive ships and how to build them.

Doc_T's Efficiency Challenge

InvisibleBlueDruid
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #12950099 - 07/25/10 12:22 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

My Deep Fried Shiitake Recipe

1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup corn starch
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 handful of Saltine crackers crumbled up
1 handful of Kellogs corn flakes crumbled up
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
2 cans beer

RR

How much Shiitake will that recipe do for?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm-New pics added 24 May 2010 [Re: BlueDruid]
    #12950649 - 07/25/10 02:27 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I dunno. :laugh:  Never weighed them.  At least a dozen large ones or more though.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

#12981056 - 07/31/10 01:16 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I bet it would work for oyster too!

Offlineuncletammy
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uh Murica
    #13157571 - 09/06/10 10:35 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry to dig up this thread again.  Roger, what kind of rocks are you using on the ground in those pictures?  Do they absorb a lot of water?  Have you ever considered lava rocks? 

Also, I think I remember you saying you used the large gusseted spawn bags to grow in.  How do you inoculate?  With the quantities you're dealing with, it seems like inoculation would be a pain in the butt no matter how you did it.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: uncletammy]
    #13157937 - 09/07/10 12:21 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I inoculate with grain spawn by hand in front of a laminar flow hood.  Between grains and sawdust, I spend about three hours per day, actually working in front of the flowhood.  Yes, I use large gusseted unicorn bags.  I'm experimenting with both T and B filters, and still haven't made up my mind which works best.

The rocks on the floor as well as the large rocks used for the entrance/retaining wall were all picked up on the ground locally.  They're pretty porous, so water sticks to them and then evaporates off.  Below the rocks is concrete, with a floor drain.  I keep an inline fan running in one of the vent shafts to supply fresh air constantly, therefore on hot, dry summer days, I need to spray the rocks and substrates twice during the day, and on cool or rainy days, I only spray once or not at all. 
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

#13158838 - 09/07/10 09:40 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

My god those photos are badass. This thread is a treasure trove.

OfflineeVenom
DRIFT on toBATTLE
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: freespeech]
    #13162523 - 09/07/10 09:58 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

one if my co-worker went for vacation in Seattle and she came back with a picture of one mushroom selling stand in the farmers market.

There are some shiitakes that looks like some from your farm do you recognize these?

this selection of mushrooms makes me want to live closer to the area.

(I think the guy is selling Cubes as shemejii)

--------------------
eVenom

"Some of us like a nice buzz, while others want to climb a screaming volcano naked to meet god."
RR

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mountain mushroom farm [Re: eVenom]
    #13162927 - 09/07/10 11:18 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

If it was at the Pike Place Farmers Market, those are mine.  I have a guy who sells seafood and makes the trip to Seattle every week.  He's started carrying my mushrooms and selling them over there wholesale.  The mrs and I were just talking about building a second farm earlier today. We've only officially been selling our product for two months now, but already can't keep up with demand.  We've started maximum production, so I'll know by Christmas exactly how much this thing can produce per week.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineYipes
Stranger
    #13163830 - 09/08/10 06:53 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

shemejii's do look like cubes

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates