Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

New Year's Eve prediction
    #1181648 - 12/31/02 11:12 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I was just wondering what the consensus of opinion was on this.

I and some other people have been wondering if the towel heads will try anything in Times Square tonight.

Given the fact that these people do not care about blowing themselves and others up with explosives strapped to their persons and the fact that New York seems to be a fav target how likely is it that they will try their 'new' act of terrorism there tonight.

Are we due for a hit?

I hope not.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: New Year's Eve prediction [Re: ]
    #1181652 - 12/31/02 11:14 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I'd say the chances are slim to none of an attack...

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1181657 - 12/31/02 11:18 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

As technically there is always a chance, I'll vote for slim and hope to hell I'm right.

It would be a perfect spot though.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Anonymous

Re: New Year's Eve prediction [Re: Rono]
    #1181658 - 12/31/02 11:19 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I thought I heard 5 terrorists were caught sneaking into the US from Canada Xmas eve. I don't think they were trying to get a few bargains for under the tree.

I really hope you're right Bro.

Why do you think nothing will happen?

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1181685 - 12/31/02 11:40 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

the towel heads

I thought more of you before this reference.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflinePinkEchoes
Stranger
Loc: Canada
Re: New Year's Eve prediction [Re: Skikid16]
    #1181733 - 12/31/02 12:14 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I was just about to say that.

Anonymous

#1181766 - 12/31/02 12:49 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Sorry about that.  I thought that the terrorists were Muslims and from the Middle East.

I thought more of them before 9/11.

If you know of any terrorists from attacking my country from the outside that aren't of Middle Eastern descent  please list them and I'll change my opinion.

This is not to say that I think all Middle Eastern people are bad.  But those that attack my country from the Middle East are towel heads to me.  And that's a euphemism for what I really think.

And for the record I do not think less of you for holding me to your standard.  Maybe we are unlike in that respect.

Have a safe and Happy New Year. :smile: 

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1181782 - 12/31/02 01:05 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

All I'm saying is that your reference caught me off guard, nearly all of the other posts you have are very compassionate and void of ignorance, in fact, I remember not too long ago, you telling Remy to understand the ramifications of his Cancer post.

Ignorance breeds ignorace, plain and simple.

PS, you're still cool in my book.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1182026 - 12/31/02 05:28 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

How is his post ignorant? Was even a single one of the terrorists not from the middle east?

Was he saying every muslim or person from the middle east is a towel head?

What I find sad is that people aren't free to say what they wish without others getting upset by it.

For those of you who are so PC that they think everyone should speak and act as they do..... Grow up, get a life. People are individuals and as such should be free to speak their minds.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: New Year's Eve prediction [Re: PinkEchoes]
    #1182028 - 12/31/02 05:29 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

And you Echos, you were "just" about to say the same over a half hour later?

--------------------

Edited by luvdemshrooms (12/31/02 05:31 PM)

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Re: New Year's Eve prediction [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1182213 - 12/31/02 09:11 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

For those of you who are so PC that they think everyone should speak and act as they do..... Grow up, get a life. People are individuals and as such should be free to speak their minds.

I personally feel that it is more mature to speak your mind and be respectful, but that's just because I'm immature, I guess.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Canada
    #1182271 - 12/31/02 10:36 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

How is his post ignorant? Was even a single one of the terrorists not from the middle east?

Was he saying every muslim or person from the middle east is a towel head?

What I find sad is that people aren't free to say what they wish without others getting upset by it.

But its simple, calling them towel heads is to them like us calling black people 'niggers.'

Either is a racist remark, and even though it was arabs that attacked the US I won't resort to ignorant name calling of everyone who's arabic.

If you support calling them towel heads or sand niggers; well then what is the difference between that and calling black people 'nigger's.... NONE

Both are ignorant.

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park

Re: New Year's Eve prediction [Re: Thor]
    #1182293 - 12/31/02 11:44 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Correct. It's racist to use the term at all. You should be coming up with derogatory terms to do with their terrorsim not their likeness(which includes 10's of millions of others). You can't really tell all other muslims "oh you arent a towel head, only terrorists are towel heads....Um I know you have a turban but you're not a towel head the terrorists are towel heads....Ummmm, see? you have a turban but arent a towel head......O.K?".

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park

Re: New Year's Eve prediction [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #1182295 - 12/31/02 11:46 PM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Also, not one terrorist shown from the plane highjackings wore a turban, so why say "towel head"?

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Edited by sir tripsalot (12/31/02 11:52 PM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1182355 - 01/01/03 02:25 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

The point is they are just words. If people are going to be upset by words there will never be an end to people using those same words.

I am of mixed heritage. A part of that mix is a group that has it's share of derogatory descriptions. Frankly, I don't care whether or not people use those words when describing people of the group. Why? Because it's just a word and I'm secure enough with who I am.

If these words bothered me that would be letting others have power over me. As a result I truly don't care what they call me.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1182363 - 01/01/03 03:00 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

As a result I truly don't care what they call me.

Strange, you get awfully upset at even the mildest of comments directed to you on this board.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Anonymous

#1182365 - 01/01/03 03:15 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Most people's minds have been so imbued with cultural brain-washing that they are unable to think logically about any issue without a reference to its standard of morality. I function outside that limited paradigm. I do not let culture influence my thinking for any reason.

Our perspective on this is completely different. However, I don't refer to people whose viewpoint on this matter that is different from mine as ignorant.

I suppose under the criterion you use people that called the Japanese "Japs" after they bombed Pearl Harbor were being "racist".

I don't think that was racist either.

For the record, and I will not get caught up in this discussion anymore, let me state unequivocally that I have great respect for people of Middle Eastern extraction. I have known many of them and they, for the most part, are the kindest, gentlest people I have ever met. My former brother-in-law was Palestinian and I have rarely known anyone that was a better person.

If you didn't know, I do not have television reception and so never saw the video footage of 9/11 until this Christmas eve when I received a copy of the CNN documentary. I watched it less than a week ago and am still stunned by the senseless murder and carnage and my anger and sorrow about this incident is probably at the level that anyone else's would have been right after the attack.

The epithet "sand-nigger" is completely different because it contains a racial slur relating to people of African descent which is why I would never consider using that term. As a Native American I am particularly sensitive to racist remarks. People also refer to my people as "prairie niggers".

People are oh-so-quick these days to jump on someone when they see something "they" decide is offensive. Particularly if it is un-PC. Hogwash, I say.

Anyone who defends the people that attacked MY Country after the despicable acts of 9/11 are on one side of the issue and I am on the other. The twain shall never meet.

I suppose it would have been better to call them "rat-bastards" but that might be misconstrued as a animal slur and a derogatory remark against people born without legally wed parents. I wouldn't have apologized for that remark either.

I find it particularly interesting that people were more concerned with the term I used to describe those who attacked MY country than the fact that they could have attacked us again during a holiday celebration. I guess people have different priorities and sensitivities.

As far as the United States of America is concerned I am a citizen of that Country but that does not make be blind to its faults. In fact, I am more concerned with the errors of my Country, past and present, because of that very fact. I make no excuses for America but know this, if we are attacked, even with provocation, I will defend the United States to the best of my ability, even if I had to give my life to do so. It is my home, just as the Shroomery is.

I think what is probably needed here is a little more understanding and a little less judgment from those who weren't attacked. In fact, a little more understanding overall would be better. I see a lot of things said by most people here that I do not agree with but I do not rush to judgment and condemn them. I do not do that because I realize that they are just human and liable to make errors of judgment from time to time, just as I do. This includes you, Boss, by the way. I do not follow you because you are perfect or because you make no mistakes. I follow you because you are my leader and because I know you have a kind heart. I respect you even when you make errors in judgment. Hopefully that is reciprocal. Most people here have great respect for me and perhaps that is why my remark was so shocking. Let it be known that I am only human too. I make plenty of errors of judgment. But this, in my view, wasn't one of them.

In sum, I think it is better that we as Shroomerites give each other as much latitude as possible because our primary concern, or at least I thought our primary concern, is mushrooms and the people who like them.

Let's hope we all have a great and wonderful New Year together.

And may the terrorists be brought to justice for their cowardly acts of unspeakable horror.

Cheers

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #1182409 - 01/01/03 05:13 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Well, I think it is perfectly acceptable to use slurs that are directed towards
the unsavory characters of a particular race. For example, I am
white, and I will readily admit that there are a lot of white people who
are scumbags(people who steal, murder, cause problems, etc...). I call these
people "white trash".

A scumbag black person deserves to be called "nigger". Arabs who are
scumbags deserve to be the targets of slurs as well.

Of course, not all members of a race are bad. It is unfortunate that the actions of
a minority have a tendency to taint the prejudices of the entire world.

RandalFlagg

Edited by RandalFlagg (01/01/03 05:19 AM)

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1182422 - 01/01/03 05:27 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

I don't care what anyone else says about you, I know your heart is good and I share your sentiments.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: New Year's Eve prediction [Re: Xlea321]
    #1182428 - 01/01/03 05:37 AM (14 years, 23 days ago)

Absolutely untrue Al. You've yet to see me upset.

You on the other hand, it's way too easy to get you wound up and off you go insulting people. That's why I've basically given it up as regards to you. It was so easy it wasn't even worth doing anymore.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion