Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Loc: Here.
The endless sea of doubt.
    #1181623 - 12/31/02 10:54 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

As i read more Philosopy and as I realize i know absolutely nothing, I find myself sitting on that small rock in the endless sea of doubt. What do we really know? Is this the vicious cycle philosophicial thought? Thanks Descartes.

--------------------
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

Edited by ChubbSubb (12/31/02 11:08 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: The endless sea of doubt. [Re: ChubbSubb]
    #1181661 - 12/31/02 11:22 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Knowledge is like an Abyss...

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Re: The endless sea of doubt. [Re: Adamist]
    #1181664 - 12/31/02 11:24 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I shall second that. :tongue:

--------------------

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

#1181666 - 12/31/02 11:26 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I'll just have to trust my external senses in judging what reality is.

--------------------

Offlinequestforall
very-stranger
Loc: Vancouver BC
    #1181749 - 12/31/02 12:36 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Dear friend, ChubbSubb. I will share a little with you. I feel that you have come across the most important aspect of Philosphy. The point where you stand is very important and very critical, because now you are in the position of understanding that words, thoughts, ideas, are simply not adequate. They do not satisfie our curiocity, and do not give us contentment or peace of mind, but on the contrary, they give rise to more questions, more confusion and more mind restlessness. I hope that you have noticed that we do not need that, we do not need those complicated ideas, we do not need more questions and more confusion. We need clear understanding, we need simple Love flowing in our being, we need that Knowledge that will clear all of our doubts and confusions, that which will give us the ability to discern from Real and unreal. Words can not do this, ideas can not do this, philosphy can not do this.

So now comes the question of, what is that, which is beyond words, beyond mind games, beyond mind and intellect, beyond all the opposites of life, which can give us that contentment, that peace of mind, that internal joy that we are all looking for.

I will point this out, and if you like to you can search this out by yourself. What Lord Christ spoke about, and Buddha, and Krishna, and Rama, Muhamed, Saint Kabir, Rumi and Guru Nanak, and all the Masters and all the saints have spoken about, is one and the same. They all spoke about an inner experience, an EXPEREINCE, a practical method of of uniting the restless mind with that Unchanging Reality, which gives eternal peace and bliss. That Truth in Hindi is discribed as Sat Chit Anand (Truth Consciousness Bliss). By knowing the Absolute Truth, you realize that it is Pure Consciousness, and that gives the highest Bliss. Dont get lost here, these are just words, but they point to something.

Now, after the departure of these Great Souls from this realm, the regular ignorant people took their teachings and turned them into to ritual, into dogma, into mere mind games, and therefore the original teachings were lost, and all that remained was the misinterpeted words. But if you really look into those Scriptures, they all speak about an expereince, about a total expereince, which is the ultimate destination for every soul.

Lord Christ said that the Kingdom of Heaven is within, and he said that those who seek shall find, and those who knock shall have the door opened onto them.

I can share more if anyone would like to hear more. Untill then.....

PEace

--------------------
Please look within. Try. Try more.

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Re: The endless sea of doubt. [Re: questforall]
    #1181754 - 12/31/02 12:39 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Nice post.  :grin:

Welcome!

--------------------

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
    #1181970 - 12/31/02 04:18 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

perfectly stated. i too know that despair sometimes, after hours of feverish reading of old, encoded hermetic texts, confusing koans, endless ridels and symbols, ridiculous holy books, i feel no wiser. After half an hour of zazen meditation, i am breathing truth. Experience.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1182046 - 12/31/02 05:53 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

ChubbSubb writes:

I'll just have to trust my external senses in judging what reality is.

That's what all philosophies worth a pinch of coon shit start with: the evidence provided by your senses. Any philosophy whose tenets contradict that evidence is worthless. Any philosophy which tells you that "input" from anything other than your senses is valid, is an arbitrary "philosophy", and therefore no more valid than any other random wild-ass scheme you dream up on your own.

You have taken the first step on the path towards enlightenment. Validate all your philosophical tenets against reality. If a contradiction appears, adjust your philosophy, because reality won't adjust itself to suit your tenets.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: The endless sea of doubt. [Re: Phred]
    #1182066 - 12/31/02 06:22 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

That's what all philosophies worth a pinch of coon shit start with: the evidence provided by your senses.

He he he he, "pinch of coon shit." You are correct my friend.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: The endless sea of doubt. [Re: Phred]
    #1182492 - 01/01/03 07:04 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

"If a contradiction appears, adjust your philosophy, because reality won't adjust itself to suit your tenets."

Christ, a lot of people here need to take those words seriously.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
    #1183884 - 01/02/03 03:25 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

All knowledge is one sided. If I view anything...it is my view alone, even if someone else views or experiences the same thing at the same time. We each will perceive the event through the filter of our past experiences and beliefs. No two people "see" the same thing.

The best that you and I can do is to agree that an apple is an apple. I can't see it as you do, you can't taste it as I do. Its a compromise to simply agree that there are "things" and we both agree to call these "things" apples.....the personal experience though is......personal.......

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology