Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
reasons TO hate corporate america
    #1178431 - 12/29/02 09:46 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Fifty-one of the world's top 100 economies are corporations
thats not right no matter what way you look at it

Royal Dutch Shell's revenues are greater than Venezuela's Gross Domestic Product. Using this measurement, WalMart is bigger than Indonesia. General Motors is roughly the same size as Ireland, New Zealand and Hungary combined.

There are 63,000 transnational corporations worldwide, with 690,000 foreign affiliates.
Three quarters of all transnational corporations are based in North America, Western Europe and Japan.
Ninety-nine of the 100 largest transnational corporations are from the industrialized countries.

WTO and Global Trade: Who Benefits?
Since it was created in 1995, the WTO has ruled that every environmental policy it has reviewed is an illegal trade barrier that must be eliminated or changed. With one exception, the WTO also has ruled against every health or food safety law it has reviewed.

Nations whose laws were declared trade barriers by the WTO-or that were merely threatened with WTO action-have eliminated or watered down their policies to meet WTO requirements.

Supposedly each of the WTO's 134 member countries have an equal say in governance. In practice, decision-making is dominated by the "Quad": USA; European Union; Japan and Canada.

Each member of the Quad represents its corporations' interests at the WTO. These corporations are often directly involved in writing and shaping WTO rules. In the U.S. this is achieved through official "Trade Advisory Committees" which are dominated by the private sector.

For instance, the US International Trade Administration's Energy Advisory Committee is made up exclusively of representatives of giant oil, mining, gas and utility corporations, including Texaco, Enron, Halliburton and Freeport-McMoran.

The top fifth of the world's people in the richest countries enjoy 82% of the expanding export trade and 68% of foreign investment-the bottom fifth, receive roughly 1%.

Women comprise 70 percent of the world's 1.3 billion absolute poor. Worldwide, they bear the brunt of economic and financial transition and crisis caused by market forces and globalization.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
Re: reasons TO hate corporate america [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1178435 - 12/29/02 09:54 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

#1 reason to hate corporate america is jealousy.
#2 reason is they turned you down for a job and you're bitter
#3 reason is hating to see the other guy make it
#4 reason is having a small pee pee and needing somthing to take out the frustration on
#5 reason you hate to see businesses give well paying jobs to millions of people and would prefer to work on communal farms ala Stalin

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1178440 - 12/29/02 09:57 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Royal dutch shell are real scum of the earth material. Check out what they've done to the Orgoni people in Nigeria. Ken Saro-wiwa.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
Re: reasons TO hate corporate america [Re: Xlea321]
    #1178447 - 12/29/02 10:07 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Alex, oil companies aren't exactly renowned for their ethics. That's also completely illrelevant to this discussion.

They give lots of people jobs. People like me and millions of others. The origional poster seems to say in essence "Lets hate them because they succede." Such a statement reeks of jealousy.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: reasons TO hate corporate america [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #1178632 - 12/30/02 02:00 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

That's also completely illrelevant to this discussion.

Of course it isn't. The post is "reasons to hate corporate america".

They give lots of people jobs

So did Auschwitz. I've never been jealous of auschwitz concentration camp guards and i hope you arn't either. When something is wrong, it's wrong. No matter how successful it is.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1178637 - 12/30/02 02:04 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

normally, those that hate corporations (unless you're an Enron employee) are usually jealous that others have become successful and they have not.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineComponent
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: reasons TO hate corporate america *DELETED* [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1178723 - 12/30/02 03:01 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by Component

Reason for deletion: ...

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: reasons TO hate corporate america [Re: Component]
    #1178798 - 12/30/02 03:37 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

****I worked for 3 diff corporations on the bottom of the ladder. The difference in pay compensation is phenomenal. ****

Of course it is, you're on the bottom of the ladder.

****I ain't going back so I can work to make others richer than I can dream of****

That's the right attitude to have if you're an entrepreneur, if you'r just looking to make the same as the others with no intention of going out on your own then your attitude is poor.

****I did the trench work and then the head honcho people do very little and get paid too much. ***

I find it funny that those on the bottom of the ladder think that those on top do nothing..this always gives me a chuckle. I've been on both ends and the work on the bottom has very little consequence if not done, while the tasks of those on the upper ladder are very closely watched.

****Then they give money to charity like the Hollywood fucks and think they did some good for others, but they never roll up their sleeves and get dirty.****

that's a generalization but not all companies act this way.

****They would have regular parking lots for the workers then covered parking for all the big people's Porsche's, Mercedez, Jaguars, and BMW's****

Welcome to the real world. If i owned my company (which i do not) i would eliminate the parking situation, but this is still just a benifit incentive, nothing more. Maybe when you work your way UP the ladder you'll have your parking spot. personally i don't care if i have a spot or not.

****I am looking at smaller firms of 20 people or less where the boss cares for his employees and actually has contact with them everyday and asks 'How are you'. ****

that's not a bad goal to have. I got lucky and ended up in a big company that treats their employees quite nicely.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: reasons TO hate corporate america [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1179044 - 12/30/02 05:59 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I find it funny that those on the bottom of the ladder think that those on top do nothing

I've been at both. Worked with guys earning 10,000 a year and millionaires. The vast majority of the directors were bone idle tossers who wouldn't know a hard days work if it kicked them in the balls.

As Marlon Brando told Val Kilmer "Never confuse the size of your talent with the size of your paycheque".

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
    #1181112 - 12/31/02 03:47 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Your post shows a complete lack of understanding on economics, business, and politics. Perhaps there is a reason you remain at the bottom of the corporate food chain. I have worked for two large firms, each time starting out at the near the bottom, and I have worked my way up as far as I could go without my degree. If you think the work gets any easier as you progress you are dead wrong. While the higer paying jobs may not be physically taxing, they are a hell of a lot more stressefull, require a lot more mental abilities, and carry a large amount of responsibility.

I am going to do something rare and agree with Rain_Gun
#1 reason to hate corporate america is jealousy.
#2 reason is they turned you down for a job and you're bitter
#3 reason is hating to see the other guy make it
#4 reason is having a small pee pee and needing somthing to take out the frustration on
#5 reason you hate to see businesses give well paying jobs to millions of people and would prefer to work on communal farms ala Stalin

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Anonymous

#1181357 - 12/31/02 06:43 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Consider this: almost everything you buy came from a large American corporation. Computers and computer parts come from corporations. The food you buy comes from a corporation, even if you shop at a health food store. Your clothes are made by some of the most powerful corporations in the world. Your house was built by a corporation. Many corporations donate money to special interest groups such as NORML.

Not all of this applies to everyone here, but I guarantee everyone here has benifitted from corporate America. Sure small businesses are more romantic, but without large corporations, we would be nowhere near technologically advanced. You wouldn't have a car unless you were really rich, and we wouldn't have the much cleaner and more efficient vehicles that we have today.

PS: Corporate America is the same as corporate Germany or corporate Canada, all are businesses that profit from the less fortunate (people who aren't CEOs). "Greedy corporations" are not only found in this country.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: reasons TO hate corporate america [Re: Anonymous]
    #1181371 - 12/31/02 06:48 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

How dare you suggest that the US isn't single-handedly responsible for all the worlds ills.

Stop it immediately or perhaps common sense, good judgement and reasoning will become more prevalent.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (12/31/02 06:49 AM)

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1181419 - 12/31/02 07:10 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

but without large corporations, we would be nowhere near technologically advanced.

Nah, there really isn't any technological advancements that weren't funded massively by the taxpayer. The internet, computers, you name it the taxpayer poured in billions for the research. Instead of putting patents on it and earning the money back the rights were pissed away to private corporations to rake in the profits. We pay for the research, they get the profits. They arn't totally stupid these corporations!

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Anonymous

#1181429 - 12/31/02 07:13 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, but you all now have bough a computer, or built a computer from boughten parts. All came from a corporation. If you are so against this "corporate evil," why do you support the companies that are apparently stealing money from the taxpayers?

Also, last time I checked, the government wasn't giving money to Microsoft to build Windows, or NVIDIA to build GeForce chips, or Intel to build the fastest personal processors on the planet.

Edited by stonedfish (12/31/02 07:14 AM)

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1181536 - 12/31/02 08:08 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

why do you support the companies that are apparently stealing money from the taxpayers?

Because the government pissed away the rights to private companies. Incidentally they've done a lot worse than rob taxpayers - ead up on IBM's key role in the holocaust. Without IBM it's unlikely the holocaust could ever have taken place.

or Intel to build the fastest personal processors on the planet.

The initial research is what costs the bulk of the money. Refining a processor to work at 2GHz instead of 1GHz when you already have an enormous market isn't going to bankrupt anybody. Pouring billions into a technology you have no idea will work or even have a market is the risky part. That's the part we pay for.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1181548 - 12/31/02 08:13 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

****Without IBM it's unlikely the holocaust could ever have taken place.****

i know because hitler was such a nice guy influenced by american corporations....

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1181555 - 12/31/02 08:16 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Please show what percentage of Intel's R&D funds came for the government funding historically and currently. Also, please show what percentage of Intel's current revenue goes towards R&D. Some facts and figures would go a long way towards bolstering your claim. (Sources please)

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: reasons TO hate corporate america [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1181565 - 12/31/02 08:22 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i know because hitler was such a nice guy influenced by american corporations....

No because they worked hand in hand with the Nazi's on the Hollerith punch card which sealed the jews fate. Read up on it.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: reasons TO hate corporate america [Re: Evolving]
    #1181569 - 12/31/02 08:24 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Please show what percentage of Intel's R&D

Irrelevant. We are talking about the development of computers. Please list how much Intel contributed to research and development into computers throughout the 1940's and 50's. Sources please.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinedjamor
Stranger

Loc: rocky mountains
    #1181624 - 12/31/02 08:54 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

It's interesting that you bring up corporate involvement in the holocaust. Here's a link that implicates the Bush family;
http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/carlyle.html

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale