Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Music, my god.
    #1180812 - 12/30/02 09:32 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Music breathes life into me. To me it represents everything good about the world and its people.
Whenever I hear that song, I'm reminded of how much soul was poured into it.
I used to just confine myself to 1 or 2 genres of music, but over the past couple years my tastes have exploded.

Different styles of music represent different environments the musicians grew up in, and how they all had different ideas of how to channel their energy.

Passing around these little compacts discs are like passing around bits and pieces of the human soul. When I hit play and really let my mind relax, I hear something... and I am inspired.

And don't get me started on how cool concerts are...

Edited by Grav (12/30/02 09:33 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Music, my god. [Re: Grav]
    #1180882 - 12/30/02 10:25 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Good thoughts.

Music is my life, the food of my soul. I thrive on it... listening to it, creating it, and playing it..feeling it. I love it all.
There is perhaps no better feeling than playing the music you poured your heart and soul into and finely crafted... to a group of appreciative listeners.

More complete thought patterns at a later time.

--------------------

Offlinebrian_orion
My Brain IsHanging UpsideDown.

Re: Music, my god. [Re: Shroomism]
    #1181068 - 12/31/02 03:09 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

There are those who truly love music, and those who like music. Those who 'like' music are, sadly, missing out on one of the greatest gifts humanity has given themselves.

Fellow philosophers, may I ask what sends you into introspective trance? As that is what music does to me. Most of my nights are spent with my friends, with little communication. The music is enough, I love it.

Unfortunately, my preferences have been dampened by many. I love metal, it strikes such a chord in me. Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Tool, Helloween, I could go on. Most see it as pointless blather, lyrical bullshit. I hear the most amazing artists of our time, the hypnotic, inspiring, and downright incredible sounds weaved by crunchy electric guitar. I suspect hundreds of years in the future, the epic-like sounds crafted by the aformentioned bands will be studied much like Bach and Beethoven are today.

I also love The Ramones, Daft Punk. And Shpongle. Shpongle is something else. I literally feel a buzz when I listen to it. I must cut this post short. Gotta listen tunes.

--------------------
"I can't believe I ate the whole thing"

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #1181182 - 12/31/02 04:56 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

"My music will go on forever. Maybe it's a fool say that, but when me know facts me can say facts. My music will go on forever."
-Bob Marley

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."
-Aldous Huxley

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Edited by Adamist (12/31/02 04:57 AM)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1181261 - 12/31/02 05:53 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Yes music is wonderful :smile:

Its like getting little chunks of somebody's brain to listen to

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: Music, my god. [Re: Strumpling]
    #1181271 - 12/31/02 05:59 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I am always listening or creating some kind of music. I get tingles when I listening to music. Music is paramount in my being and without music, my world would be silent.
For me at least, music is a drug. I'm completely hooked and I'll never give it up until i go def!

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: Music, my god. [Re: Cow Shit Collector]
    #1181301 - 12/31/02 06:10 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

AHh i almost forgot about dance and movement.  That is also paramount.  :grin:

I love the way music has evolved, from caveman banging a stick on a rock.  To tribes beating out rythms on huge drums.  To  the muse of medievil times.  To the classical composer holding a mastery over a symphony.  To the digital age of computers and synthesizers.  How will music evolve next?  I make it a point to always be open to new music as it comes.  I'm never going to tell my kids to turn it down, even if their generation's music sounds like static to me :smile:

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Music, my meditation [Re: Grav]
    #1181395 - 12/31/02 07:02 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Playing music is like meditating to me. I love music. Life would be quite dull without it. Music comes from the soul, and goes straight back to it. Music is not a drug, because drugs affect the ego, not the true self. Music is like a portrait of reality.

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
    #1181464 - 12/31/02 07:34 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Music is the medicine for my soul. Its a great way to unwind and debrief from the pressures of life......

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Loc: Here.
    #1181613 - 12/31/02 08:49 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Music, like everything, is what you make of it. For me it is life. I love it all! My favourite form of art.

--------------------
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1181806 - 12/31/02 11:37 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

When I make music, I think of it as tweeking and warping physics- I can bend natural sounds or give them an echo, add noise, distort them or give them another pitch. I can change the sounds of reality to form my own.

Or I can listen to other artists.  :wink:

Music is Awesome! I can't imagine my life without it.  :blush: 

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Edited by Murex (12/31/02 11:40 AM)

Anonymous

#1182119 - 12/31/02 05:43 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Music is great! Lately Ive been into more progressive bands like Rush, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Angra, and Pink floyd. Every genre is open for me.

If you want to really mess with your mind on a trip, and your not afraid of the occasional bad trip try Dimmu Borgir's - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, or Nine inch Nails - Downward spiral

Offlinejohnnyfive
Burning withCircles!
Loc: Hell
    #1182217 - 12/31/02 07:17 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

her-her music, is some thing i use to help commune with god.

--------------------
And the gameshow host rings the buzzer (brrnnntt) oh and now you get a face full of face!

OfflineComponent
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Music, my god. [Re: johnnyfive]
    #1182425 - 01/01/03 03:35 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Please check out Nebulamusic.com

Edited by Component (05/10/08 04:33 PM)

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: Music, my god. [Re: Component]
    #1182526 - 01/01/03 05:44 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Hey, I have that song. :smile:

Groovy stuff. 

--------------------

Invisiblexnevermore
? Ω?

Loc: The Twilight Zone
    #1182532 - 01/01/03 05:49 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

--------------------
- xnevermore

OfflineMeph
Synesthesiac

Loc: Qu?bec
Re: Music, my god. [Re: xnevermore]
    #1182563 - 01/01/03 06:15 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I'm really hooked on Shpongle these days. I'll put a song on, turn the volume up, and just let go of everything... I wrote something yesterday:

"Music is a river, and my thoughts are being taken away by the currents. Surfing the waves."

I will not quite listen to the tune itself, but I will just let the music bring thoughts into my head. Sometimes, I get overwhelmed, and it's just too much to take, so I have to turn it off.

Some people want me to show them what I listen to; they'll put a song on, say, "Aah man that's fucked up listen to those beats man!"... I tell them, "Don't talk, or it won't work! Just listen, merge with the music, become one with it...".

"Work? What? It's just music, it's not supposed to work! You're a fucked up kid, eh!"

And then I smile to myself.

Music is my life. I can't go without it. If I don't listen to good, satisfying music every day, many hours a day, I feel sick and unfed. And I'm not talking about just having a song playing in the background - I mean putting a CD in the machine, sitting down, and closing your eyes, and just totally drifting away in a world where thought patterns are undescribably complex and rich...

I think that some music without lyrics (Shpongle, for example) is made of hidden messages. But they're unconscious messages - they're things the authors thought of when they created the tune, and when you listen to it in the right circumstances, you are able to channel those messages through the melodies... it's just what I think, though.

Smoking pot before listening to music is most of the time just too much for me to take, unless I'm in a very comfortable and safe place. If not, I can get totally out of control... I won't even try to explain what happens in my mind when that strikes me, because no words can do it justice. I could say it's like being very, VERY delusionnal, but thinking that everything makes perfect sense... but then again, it's totally different.

Anybody have similar experiences?

--------------------
I'm a bipedal carbon-based pseudo-random number generator.

Demonstration: 152.

OfflineMeph
Synesthesiac

Loc: Qu?bec
Re: Music, my god. [Re: Meph]
    #1182571 - 01/01/03 06:22 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I forgot to add that I cannot just listen to a song I've never heard before and get totally absorbed in it like I do with the ones I know well. I have to know it PERFECTLY, every single beat, every single sound... sometimes, I'll listen to a song some fifty times with no results at all, and on the 51th time, BAM, I'm paralized, and sent to another world.

Music is such a vague art, though. I can't understand why some melodies are nice to the ear, and some are not... hmm...

--------------------
I'm a bipedal carbon-based pseudo-random number generator.

Demonstration: 152.

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

#1182651 - 01/01/03 07:43 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I forgot to add that I cannot just listen to a song I've never heard before and get totally absorbed in it like I do with the ones I know well. I have to know it PERFECTLY, every single beat, every single sound... sometimes, I'll listen to a song some fifty times with no results at all, and on the 51th time, BAM, I'm paralized, and sent to another world.

I know exactly what you mean. Truely great music, to me, takes awhile for me to appreciate. The more I listen to it, the better it becomes. Tool, Shpongle, Mogwai, and a few other bands are prime examples of this.

--------------------

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1182930 - 01/01/03 11:24 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Yea, Meph I feel exactly the same.

Music to me is an experience in every sense of the word. It is an out of body one. If you're talking or objectively studying the patterns of the song, then you're outside of it. It's only when you surrender yourself to the artists and go wherever they take you that you really enter the music.

I know what you mean about having to get used to a song.. I think your brain adjusts to the dynamics of it, and then like your brain holds these containers of energy that are just like waiting for the next part of the song to unlock them. This seems like a pacifiying sense of music to me. Like getting your audio fix. I love that.

But theres nothing like really tuning into a song for the first time. (usually while really high), and it totally just grabs your mind and drags you down this bubbly corridor and you come out of it feeling like you just had an orgasm.

Damn I was gonna type out some of my moods and the groups that suit them, but there's way too many so fuck it...

Lately ive been listening to: 311, Incubus, Vida Blue, Inlakesh, Skinny Puppy, Soundgarden, Candiria, Led Zeppelin, Autechre, RATM..... oh yea, and Tool of course.

I highly recomend Inlakesh, they make really natural sounding earth music.. it is so relaxing. Complete with didjeridoos, djembes, and lots of cool nature effects. Really REALLY beautiful. Go download now. Yes. Affirmative.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom