Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBandit
Cultivator
Dehydrated Grains
    #1176886 - 12/29/02 09:55 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I am making my first attempt at grains after using the pf tek successfully. I'm trying rye berries and millet separately in several jars. The problem is after I pressure cook them for an hour they seem to be very dehydrated and the rye looks kind of burnt. I am using pint jars and following the formula of 100g rye and 110g water for each pint jar. Any Help is welcomed.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: Dehydrated Grains [Re: Bandit]
    #1176905 - 12/29/02 10:07 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

The same grain are of different quality depending on where you get them and how they were stored.  Your rye grain may need a little more water.  Try a few jars with variations in the amount of water you used to see which colonize better.  Also be sure to shake up the jars after you've cooked them.  The grains on the bottom are usually wetter than the top ones, so mixing them might help plus it helps when it comes time to loosen them up later.  Another thing to consider is your pressure cooker.  I've read that letting the cooker cool off slowly helps to keep the water in your jars from evaporating.  Sometimes people will open the top opening to let the steam out and thus cool the cooker faster, this can dry out your grains.  Hope this helps. :grin:  If all else fails, read the instructions that came with the PC. 

OfflineBandit
Cultivator
Re: Dehydrated Grains [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #1176916 - 12/29/02 10:20 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Ok thanks for the help. Ill try making a couple more jars with another 5 and 10g of water.

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
Re: Dehydrated Grains [Re: Bandit]
    #1176965 - 12/29/02 10:44 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

High Bandit

when i first started workin with rye grains, i found it was extremely difficult NOT to have bacteria in a couple of days after sterilization. Obviously, my sterilization technique was faulty, so this is what i did: i put the grains in a jar and fill with tap water. leave them like that for a day then change the water (put some fresh) and leave it for another day. Then you will see that the bacteria are starting having a party in the jar, with gases and bubbles. lol. Dont smell the jar or anything :grin: Take out the excess water, just leave the wet rye grains in it and wash them to be clear, then strain them again. Put a filter on top (or some verm, but you cant shake the jar afterwards) and pressure cook it for an hour. PERFECT RESULTS TO ME. :smile: The key is to help endospores (which are killed difficulty, only in high pressure and heat) become bacteria (which are killed easily, even with boiling only)

Hope it helps, well, at least if any other method fails try this one. :smile: With this method, you have two advantages as i see it: (a) no contams (b) no need to care how much water to use, because the grains have already absorbed the exact amount they can :wink: 

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation