Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Reasons for war.
    #1166800 - 12/24/02 06:35 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, now I'm gonna admit something, and its gonna be hard, so bare with me, I still am having trouble finding a concrete reason or reasons for Bush wanting to go to war with Iraq. I mean I've heard his reasons (regime change, disarmament, war on terrorism, etc. etc. etc.) But I'd like to hear all of your ideas.

A couple rules (if you will, please, thanks)
1) No flaming, if someone has an idea different from you, that's fine, this isn't "See-who's-right" thread, this is your personal opinions why we are going to war.
2) No flaming.
3) No flaming
4) I'd like to see some proof behind your reasons, not just blind patriotism, nor blind protest.

Thanks for playing, and I am very interested, lets try to make this thread informative and not just a dick measuring contest.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: Reasons for war. [Re: Skikid16]
    #1167010 - 12/24/02 07:55 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Bush yearns for the fun days of WWII where there was a concrete enemy that the whole nation rallied against and felt a universal justice in fighting. He thought Iraq was such an enemy but he miscalculated. Now Bush is pissed off and cant wait until the bombs rain over the Middle East. Whats the point of being in command of the biggest army in the world, if that army is doing boring shit like "peacekeeping". He wants a good old-fashioned fight!

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1167030 - 12/24/02 08:00 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

1. The country needs "threats" to justify it's enormous defence budget ("Defence" in the sense of pissing away billions of taxpayers money to arms companies and hi-tech industry rather than spending it on nasty things like healthcare and infrastructure)

2. Oil

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Re: Reasons for war. [Re: pattern]
    #1167031 - 12/24/02 08:00 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I like the thought, but I hope its not the truth.  :wink:  I'd hate to think there will be deaths in order for the US to relieve their boredom.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
    #1167086 - 12/24/02 08:11 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

OK

The reason is this...OIL. Oil for the american nation, and wealth for those (like bush) who will sell it and become richer.

OK?

Yes there is some validity to the arms industry lobbying too.

It is NOT. I repeat NOT about security from terrorism, or global security from WMD.

If you don't know this, I'm afraid you have some to learn about the way the world works. What makes the wheels of history turn...

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
Re: Reasons for war. [Re: carbonhoots]
    #1167211 - 12/24/02 08:47 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

#1 Most definately OIL. No doubt about it!
#2 War is good for the economy. Mostly helps the rich get richer, but also help create jobs for the peons like u and me.
#3 Bushie Boy wants to finish what his Daddy started.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Edited by Humidity (12/24/02 08:48 AM)

InvisibleBuddha5254
addict
Re: Reasons for war. [Re: Humidity]
    #1167459 - 12/24/02 09:57 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Reasons against:
1. I am against going to war for oil
2. Saddam is not a threat worthy of invasion.
3. Other countries pose a bigger "threat" by their definition, such as N. Korea.
4. It shifts our attention away from someone who has attacked us and vows every few weeks that it will happen again.
5. It will serve to fuel the fire of hatrid towards America.
6. It will be seen as an attack on Islam (whether it is or not)
7. When he is attacked, he will most certainly use WMD, against our troops, and Bush has said our response could be nuclear, and thus against the general population of Iraq.
8.When he is attacked he will try to bring Israel into it, probably with success judging by the past reactions of Sharon
9. Just a big fucking mess will result, with our friends in the military occupying until a stable government could be set up that favors american business interests.

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
Re: Reasons for war. [Re: carbonhoots]
    #1168297 - 12/24/02 05:22 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

It's about security for U.S. and other industrialized (or emerging industrial) nations. We all need the oil. They (the Middle-East) need our money too. We are targeting the "rogue nations" for regime change so that the Mid-East is more secure for our (and the friendly regime's) interests. It's the continuation of the "New World Order". Iraq is a rogue state because of Hussein. He poses a big enough threat to the region to be a target. I wish it weren't so but we and our allies are VERY dependent on oil. We can't afford to stay out of the Mid-East.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
Re: Reasons for war. [Re: frogsheath]
    #1168460 - 12/24/02 06:14 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Thats an interesting point. The US war machine, thirsty for its lifeblood of oil, has to go to war. Its simply driven mad from temptation. All that oil just sitting there... why not go take it... so what some muslims get pissed off... they cant do anything about it, right?

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1171077 - 12/26/02 07:34 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, so far, oil is a very popular reason, but it seems like there would be easier ways to get oil than starting a war that could have some very serious implications. I may be completely wrong, but aren't there easier ways to get oil, like buying it, or why don't we just invade Venezuela (ok,ok, I'm just joking on that one). I hope you guys aren't right.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Edited by Skikid16 (12/26/02 07:57 AM)

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1171081 - 12/26/02 07:37 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

aren't there easier ways to get oil

Yes, but the lives of little brown people are less politically important than the disruption of a small portion of wildlife habitat in North America.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #1171085 - 12/26/02 07:41 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

You aren't too far off with your invasion of Venezuela comment..,the U.S. has it's hands in that pot as well...

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1171116 - 12/26/02 08:04 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

it seems like there would be easier ways to get oil than starting a war that could have some very serious implications.

There are. Note that the US imports only about 12% of its oil from the Gulf region, and that it is has been able to get by just fine without any of Iraq's oil to speak of for over a decade now.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Re: Reasons for war. [Re: Evolving]
    #1171117 - 12/26/02 08:06 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Yes, but the lives of little brown people are less politically important than the disruption of a small portion of wildlife habitat in North America. 

Or maybe its our selfishness and ignorance that will not let us explore alternative sources of fuels (ie hybrid cars, etc.)  that keeps our addiction to oil alive and well.  Its a sad state of affairs.  I'm going to do my part in protesting the war, I'm trading my truck for a bicycle. :wink:

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
    #1171133 - 12/26/02 08:19 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Even with conservation and alternative energy factored in the demand for oil will increase dramatically in the future. The Middle East has the largest reserves on the planet --60%. There are no easy alternatives to the pending energy crises.

Anonymous

#1171147 - 12/26/02 08:33 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I say its to divert attention on the fact that they're having trouble with the war on terror. Osama has seemingly disappeared, and I watch the news fairly often, and have only heard of a couple instances of terrorists being captured. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think progress has slowed dramatically, so Bush targets Iraq to shift the focus.

Oil, economic reasons, whatever. Bush probably feels like he has to push the 'patriotic fight for freedom' shit to keep it alive.

I dont think we should go to war tho. If they want a regime change, they should assassinate Sadam. Fuck that policy about not killing enemy leaders, too.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Re: Reasons for war. [Re: ]
    #1171157 - 12/26/02 08:44 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

I dont think we should go to war tho. If they want a regime change, they should assassinate Sadam. Fuck that policy about not killing enemy leaders, too.

I think that would set a very scary precedent, not saying that the US hasn't assainated leaders before..........

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinedjamor
Stranger

Loc: rocky mountains
Re: Reasons for war. [Re: Buddha5254]
    #1171164 - 12/26/02 08:47 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I'm with you, Buddha. Those are damn good reasons for not going to war. Here's a few more;
1) 1.8 Trillion dollars of tax money (over a 10-year period- High estimate, admittedly, so let's be optimistic and say a trillion)!
2) I've heard no long-term plans for the region, so I assume there isn't one. We'll simply leave a vacuum of power and most likely have it blow up in our faces again in 10 years.
3) Unless someone uses WMD on the 'holy land', they'll still be fighting over it.
4) Killing is wrong. Killing innocent civilians who have been brainwashed against us is really wrong.

On the other hand, here's a few reasons to go to war;

1) Revenge, straight up! You mess with bull - you get the horns!
2) We need good themes for video games - Conflict; Desert Storm and Splinter Cell are good, but we need more!
3) Who cares?!! Jesus is coming soon, and I'm ready...the longer he takes to get here - the greater my chance of being led astray by the devil!
4) Who cares. What were we talking about? It's too much for me to think about, so I'll go smoke a bowl and play Vice City. Protesting isn't cool anymore, that and you might go to jail for it. We don't have the power, anyway, they do.
5) We are a suicidal culture, anyway, lets go out with a bang!

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Re: Reasons for war. [Re: djamor]
    #1171166 - 12/26/02 08:50 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I love your pros for war. #2 is great.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1171185 - 12/26/02 09:06 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that would set a very scary precedent, not saying that the US hasn't assainated leaders before..........

Is it better to bomb the hell out of the people who are under the thumb of a dictator and let the dictator continue to rule?

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale