Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemonkeyboy358
Stranger
fly agaric in uk......once and for all deadly look a likes or not??? please help!
    #11484597 - 11/19/09 10:31 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i have seen on this site, people say that there are deadly mushrooms that are red with white spots like fly agaric in uk is this true?? i have been told by people with "trusted" status that there are no look a likes.I believe the "trusted" but would like to hear from more as dont take stuff like being dead lightly!! plus dont want any doubt in my mind when i eat them bad boys!! also if they are just starting to smell funky are they still ok to eat??? after drying in oven ect of course

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerewdy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: fly agaric in uk......once and for all deadly look a likes or not??? please help! [Re: monkeyboy358]
    #11484610 - 11/19/09 10:33 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

In any case if you find something you can always post in on here, and those "trusted" people will tell you what it is. They have the knowledge!!

Happy Hunting :rockon:

--------------------

"My mind. An ethereal realm of creative destuction"  -L§D

Offlinemonkeyboy358
Stranger
Re: fly agaric in uk......once and for all deadly look a likes or not??? please help! [Re: rewdy]
    #11484636 - 11/19/09 10:40 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

thanks man got em in the oven as we speak!! trusted tell me fly agaric,eyes tell me fly agaric but some people keep saying there is a deadly looka like so can never be sure. i find no record of any deadly lookalikes but i am no expert need to know if i have to bother with spore print (though as in oven guessing thats a no go)

InvisibleBretdaniel
Heavy Vibes

Re: fly agaric in uk......once and for all deadly look a likes or not??? please help! [Re: rewdy]
    #11484638 - 11/19/09 10:41 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

There are no deadly look a likes of Amanita Muscaria.

Offlinemonkeyboy358
Stranger
Re: fly agaric in uk......once and for all deadly look a likes or not??? please help! [Re: Bretdaniel]
    #11484678 - 11/19/09 10:47 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

thanks for input but are you sure? there are deadly amanita and have seen pics of poison light brown ones with white spots in north america plus lots say yes!! lets see if any do

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Loc: Tipping at windmills.
Re: fly agaric in uk......once and for all deadly look a likes or not??? please help! [Re: monkeyboy358]
    #11484784 - 11/19/09 11:05 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

IMHO It's kind of tricky to say "There are no poison look alikes" because it takes into account the attention to detail and experience of the hunter, for which we don't know anything about.

I would comfortably say there are no poison look alikes of a Birch Bolete for example, because to me, the key identifying features are obvious.  For someone who is new to hunting, or doesn't pay attention to details, then there could be LOTS of mushrooms (some poisonous, some not) that look like a Birch Bolete.

So you have to ask yourself.  If you know all the key features of an Amanita Muscaria that seperate it from it's poisonous cousins, then you can safely say there are no look-alikes.

:shrug:

In fact, I confused an Amanita Amerimuscaria with an Amanita aprica, just the other day!

--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

InvisibleMezuah
Fellow Hunter
I'm a teapot

Loc: Scotland
Re: fly agaric in uk......once and for all deadly look a likes or not??? please help! [Re: ShockValue]
    #11485204 - 11/19/09 12:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I my opinion i think it's a good ideea not to eat Amanita muscaria , and one of the reasons is that it can be very dangerous. For example, a deadly dose in adults is approximately 35 mg muscimol or 100 to 120 mg ibotenic acid, this is typically about the amount found in about 5 mushrooms. Therefore is very easy to overdose and potentialy die. I would strongly reccomend trying to get hold of some P. Semilanceata instead of the toadstool.
And regarding you question. Yes the can be mistaken , when not fully grown with the deadly species Amanita Virosa.

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Re: fly agaric in uk......once and for all deadly look a likes or not??? please help! [Re: Mezuah]
    #11485260 - 11/19/09 12:39 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mezuah said:
I my opinion i think it's a good ideea not to eat Amanita muscaria , and one of the reasons is that it can be very dangerous. For example, a deadly dose in adults is approximately 35 mg muscimol or 100 to 120 mg ibotenic acid, this is typically about the amount found in about 5 mushrooms. Therefore is very easy to overdose and potentialy die. I would strongly reccomend trying to get hold of some P. Semilanceata instead of the toadstool.
And regarding you question. Yes the can be mistaken , when not fully grown with the deadly species Amanita Virosa.

IMO, do more research.

"Very Easy to Overdose" pretty much contredicts the 0 known fatalities from a true Amanita muscaria variant.

--------------------

Offlinedicky21
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: fly agaric in uk......once and for all deadly look a likes or not??? please help! [Re: ShockValue]
    #11485363 - 11/19/09 12:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ShockValue said:

"Very Easy to Overdose" pretty much contredicts the 0 known fatalities from a true Amanita muscaria variant.

+1 :thumbup: ...... i spent hours upon hours doing research prior to hunting these and i too read that there ia no known fatalities. Even if there were there would be like 1 or 2 and thats probably because of eating lots of them and fresh.

--------------------

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Re: fly agaric in uk......once and for all deadly look a likes or not??? please help! [Re: dicky21]
    #11485377 - 11/19/09 12:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

My understanding that the only reported death is some guy who froze to death while high.  Which doesn't really have anything to do with the toxicity of chemicals in the mushroom.

--------------------

InvisibleBretdaniel
Heavy Vibes

Re: fly agaric in uk......once and for all deadly look a likes or not??? please help! [Re: dicky21]
    #11485379 - 11/19/09 12:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Amanita Muscaria are very easy to Identify simply by the fuzzy concetric base rings. Amanita Muscaria in Europe there is no deadly look alikes.

OfflineUK Explorer
Viva La Colonización!
Male User Gallery

Re: fly agaric in uk......once and for all deadly look a likes or not??? please help! [Re: Bretdaniel]
    #11485476 - 11/19/09 01:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I had a good hunt of these beauts last season and from what I gathered from the questions I asked there are deadly lookalikes in America but not the UK.

Just make sure they are reddy or orangey as there are poisonous amanitas that look the same and are brown.

Post pics on here and people will help.

The little skirt around the stem is a great indication.

To be sure, only pick the ones that still have all the spots and are fully grown.

--------------------
THE RISE OF THE WOODLOVERS - An Ongoing Project to Introduce Exotic Species To The United Kingdom And Encourage Their Naturalisation

OfflineUK Explorer
Viva La Colonización!
Male User Gallery

Re: fly agaric in uk......once and for all deadly look a likes or not??? please help! [Re: UK Explorer]
    #11491834 - 11/20/09 10:02 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Some of the babies I got last season:

--------------------
THE RISE OF THE WOODLOVERS - An Ongoing Project to Introduce Exotic Species To The United Kingdom And Encourage Their Naturalisation

Offlinedicky21
Male User Gallery

Re: fly agaric in uk......once and for all deadly look a likes or not??? please help! [Re: UK Explorer]
    #11491958 - 11/20/09 10:45 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

beautifull pics :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineJoie
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11493021 - 11/20/09 01:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I just found, not hunting (but obviously watching out!) a great big Amanita muscaria, slightly eaten but prettier than the rotten or waterlogged ones I've seen to date.  I don't want to eat it but I might someday and it's pretty so to encourage offspring I've split up the cap and scattered it gills down around the fairly dense earth outside.  Is that likely to be effective?

--------------------

OfflineUK Explorer
Viva La Colonización!
Male User Gallery

Re: fly agaric in uk......once and for all deadly look a likes or not??? please help! [Re: Joie]
    #11679073 - 12/19/09 02:54 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Not sure tbh, when i went picking I had a little ritual whereby I would tear off a tiny piece of each cap and work into the ground near the mushroom.

God knows if it was likely to work, I didn't get out there this season to see any fruitition but my thinking was there would be some spores in there which if placed in ground could possibly encourage future fruits.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract