Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepdxgal79
Stranger
 User Gallery

25 year old cubensis spores from "Homestead Book Company"?
    #11660087 - 12/16/09 01:43 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Ahem, so...

A close friend of mine and I were talking about shrooms tonight and she said many years ago she'd ordered a kit from High Times, but  never got around to using it.  She'd carried it around since August, 1985.  She gifted it to me, still in it's original shipping box.

Sure enough, there's a spore print, still in a paper envelope within a sealed plastic bag, completely dry and protected from light all these years along with a variety of other supplies that appear to be 20 petri dishes, a red plastic bag of some sort of soil mixture, a ziplock bag of some light weight, fairly fine dark soil/mossy stuff(?), a glass jar with a metal lid with a needle and "T" shaped pin inside, white and black thread, and two glass vials of what appears to be birdseed.

Anyone care to guess what strain I have or whether it will still be viable after all this time?  There are some typed instructions on a folded white sheet of paper and a red card that reads, "HOMESTEAD mushroom spores Psilocybe cubensis Probably the most widely used hallucinogenic mushroom in the United States.  A large and potent specie [sic], found in southern U.S. and Mexico.  Grows on compost or dung.  Recommended as the first mushroom for the beginning cultivator.  Each spore packet contains a guaranteed minimum of ten million spores from proven-fertile, genetically cloned strains, a petri dish, basic instructions, list of books and supplies, and order form.  Distributed by: HOMESTEAD BOOK COMPANY Box 31608 Seattle, WA 98103 (206) 782-4532". 

It's Postmarked Aug15'85, Boulder Colorado (sent from a P.O. Box)

Any additional information on this magic time capsule greatly appreciated...

Pictures!!!

Edited by pdxgal79 (12/16/09 11:09 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomProphet
Grateful Dead to The Core
Male User Gallery

Loc: out on front street USA Flag
Re: 15 year old cubensis spores from "Homestead Book Company"? [Re: pdxgal79]
    #11660129 - 12/16/09 01:53 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

sounds cool man** Grow it on agar if you can,, you would have better chance getting it to take off, if you cant do it yourself maybe send it to someone who can and has time to do it. The Homestead strain huh,, you never know could be the bombdiggitybombdiggity:pimp3:

--------------------

Offlinepdxgal79
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 15 year old cubensis spores from "Homestead Book Company"? [Re: ShroomProphet]
    #11660135 - 12/16/09 01:55 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomProphet said:
sounds cool man** Grow it on agar if you can,, you would have better chance getting it to take off, if you cant do it yourself maybe send it to someone who can and has time to do it. The Homestead strain huh,, you never know could be the bombdiggitybombdiggity:pimp3:

I was actually thinking about that; I'm a total noob and don't want to waste it/screw it up if it's some rare/old strain...

OfflineShroomProphet
Grateful Dead to The Core
Male User Gallery

Loc: out on front street USA Flag
    #11660156 - 12/16/09 02:00 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Save it till you can do it. just keep it dark and cool and dry like you said. Give yourself some future work to look forward to doing.:pimp3:

--------------------

Invisible99BOOMERMAN
The Professional
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: 15 year old cubensis spores from "Homestead Book Company"? [Re: ShroomProphet]
    #11660224 - 12/16/09 02:30 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I am not to familiar w/ what "vendor" strains were 25 yrs ago,but "GT" was one.

--------------------
Anything posted in this thread is just some well thought out bull-shit,which is completely for entertainment purposes only.

AMU      "Q&A's  Thread"

INGENIOUS MONO TUB LINER

Edited by 99BOOMERMAN (12/16/09 03:08 AM)

OfflineLoganSmith
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #11660239 - 12/16/09 02:36 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

send em to a tc. get the strain back in action!

--------------------
"i tripped normal for the first 3 hours, started coming down, then opened my eyes and it was 3 hours later, pitch black outside, and i was outside of my body, looking at myself dead on the couch.  this lasted until midnight "

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Loc: A tree house
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 25 year old cubensis spores from "Homestead Book Company"? [Re: pdxgal79]
    #11660261 - 12/16/09 02:47 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It should be ok. Look at the story of the SG30 strain:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10560039

--------------------

You have to die a few times before you can really live.

-Charles Bukowski-

Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: 25 year old cubensis spores from "Homestead Book Company"? [Re: LeopardMan]
    #11660627 - 12/16/09 07:11 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I would bet money on it being viable.  Only thing that might screw it is if that box got really really hot in storage.

How cool would it be if that turned out to be a 'long lost' strain!?!

You should get a TC with a reputation for this kind of work to make it happen and get it out to the community if its something special!!

--------------------
:mushroom2:Bulk Grow Substrate Calculator Spreadsheet - Download :heartpump: Thread:mushroom2:
*Downloaded over 3,500 times!* Also try the DMT Changa Mix Calculator

Stonesun's Amazing Sclerotia/Stones Guide:mushroom2:Vasodilator List:mushroom2:Niacinamide - reduce trip anxiety

OfflineCloneufc
Master Exploder!
Male

Loc: Las Vegas Flag
Re: 15 year old cubensis spores from "Homestead Book Company"? [Re: LoganSmith]
    #11660772 - 12/16/09 07:58 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

LoganSmith said:

Its already in action. The Homestead strain is Matias Romero.

Offlinepdxgal79
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 15 year old cubensis spores from "Homestead Book Company"? [Re: Cloneufc]
    #11661321 - 12/16/09 10:32 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Cloneufc said:
Quote:

LoganSmith said:

Its already in action. The Homestead strain is Matias Romero.

To my knowledge, according to the Strain Thread, PF got his print from HOMESTEAD in 1990; my kit predates that by 5 years.  Is it possible I have something else?

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavik
    #11661351 - 12/16/09 10:39 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I dont think I could have broke it open myself.. thats too cool to still have. GL

--------------------

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Woody Creek
    #11661363 - 12/16/09 10:43 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting thread.
Seriously contemplate contacting Workman or another TC who might be interested in analyzing it for you.
I doubt if you have discovered the holy grail but it would be interesting to know what it looked like under a microscope.
You will hear most folks say that a cube is a cube but I think it might be something that would interest a collector or serious mycologist. Then again, it could turn out to be Tex or B+.:shrug:
Still, it's kind of cool.

--------------------
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." H.T.
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

Offlinepdxgal79
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 15 year old cubensis spores from "Homestead Book Company"? [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #11661513 - 12/16/09 11:13 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Updated with pics.

InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
    #11661681 - 12/16/09 11:48 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

:nothingtoadd:

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: 15 year old cubensis spores from "Homestead Book Company"? [Re: DanKnugget]
    #11661727 - 12/16/09 11:55 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Unfortunately, there's very little chance the print is still viable.

I suggest taking some clean scissors and cutting it into ten or twelve pieces, so you can work with some and keep the rest stored away for future tries.

Despite many claims to the contrary, prints over about 5 years old have a horrible record of still containing viable spores, especially if taken on paper.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinepdxgal79
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 15 year old cubensis spores from "Homestead Book Company"? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11661884 - 12/16/09 12:21 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

I suggest taking some clean scissors and cutting it into ten or twelve pieces, so you can work with some and keep the rest stored away for future tries.

Despite many claims to the contrary, prints over about 5 years old have a horrible record of still containing viable spores, especially if taken on paper.
RR

Bummer; I'm really hoping something can be done with them. :frown:

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Woody Creek
    #11663711 - 12/16/09 05:28 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

then try to send them to someone willing and knowledgeable enough to see what they look like under a microscope.:shrug:
And if you need a viable print, I'm sure you can get someone to share one with you. So long as they are legal for microscopy in the state you are in.
Either way, you have what I would perceive to be a neat piece of Americana history. Like an antique in the making. so again, I say  :shrug:

--------------------
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." H.T.
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: alized
Re: 15 year old cubensis spores from "Homestead Book Company"? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11663825 - 12/16/09 05:49 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

RR

Even so, hang onto it. Learn about agar in the next couple of years and when you've done some isolation try to grow a few plates.  The thing has sat around for 24 years. A couple more won't hurt. At some point, do it as an experiment without  counting on success. Sounds like a fun project to me.
It looks like they didn't even provide a full print.  That sucks, but work with what you've got.

--------------------
Cervantes' sclerotia thread    Citric's self-healing lid tek  Agar's Grain LC  Breaking Up Spawn Jars

World's Ugliest Cat?

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

Offlinepdxgal79
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: 15 year old cubensis spores from "Homestead Book Company"? [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #11663998 - 12/16/09 06:11 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

gngsteroflove said:
then try to send them to someone willing and knowledgeable enough to see what they look like under a microscope.:shrug:

And if you need a viable print, I'm sure you can get someone to share one with you. So long as they are legal for microscopy in the state you are in.

Either way, you have what I would perceive to be a neat piece of Americana history. Like an antique in the making. so again, I say  :shrug:

Thanks.  It is kinda neat regardless, I felt like I was peeking inside a time capsule...and I liked the idea that there was a possibility of that print being revived, just in case it is something unusual or no longer around. 

I don't have any spores yet, it would be spiffy if someone shared one with me but if not I'm sure I'll order a print or syringe eventually. 

Thanks to everyone who's shared knowledge/advice!

OfflinePajarito
Three Little Birds
 User Gallery

Loc: Yuggoth
    #11664105 - 12/16/09 06:26 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Woah, that is a blast from the past! I had this exact same kit back in the day. Good luck on those spores, I would definitely experiment in germinating them or send them to someone with experience.

I know I still have a few prints from the 1980's around here somewhere, stuck in book. If I ever find them, I will definitely give them a shot.

--------------------
AmScope T490 - OMAX 18MP USB3 camera - Toupview software - FP Series I
"I suddenly became strangely inebriated." — Dr. Albert Hoffman
"When you say the names of the plants, you say the names of the gods." — Dr. Timothy Plowman
"No weak heart shall prosper." — Hon. Robert Nesta Marley

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale