Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSheeno
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: England
Music creating celestial, dreamy, beautiful, spacey etc. soundscapes.
    #11597291 - 12/06/09 04:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Recently I tripped. I listened to Dark Side of the Moon. It was wondrous.

The music was so chilled out and dreamy, and it affected my trip in the most positive of ways. Normally, I am a metal head. Since the trip, I have listened to nothing but DSotM (skipping Money, whilst still a good song, due to its lack of aforementioned atmosphere), Wish You Were Here (minus Welcome to the Machine for same reason) and other Floyd songs which create this atmosphere (Comfortably Numb, for example). Maybe it's just my being affected in the short term by the trip, but at the moment I want to bin my metal CDs and listen to Floyd all day long (only Comfortably Numb from The Wall though... it just seems like one of the only ones to have this atmosphere, see?).

Anyway, if ANYONE can relate to this (sorry if I'm not explaining myself very well... it can be hard to be eloquent when you're trying to describe a feeling from an overwhelming trip), I would love to hear some recommendations of other bands to try who have this atmosphere. I know there are lots of ambient albums which have this atmosphere, although I would prefer that it has vocal lines and isn't too repetitive so it can be appreciated as a primary source of entertainment and not just background music when not high, but I'm more than happy to try long, progressive instrumental albums if they come with the highest recommendation.

Also, any recommendations for which Pink Floyd albums to get next? As you've probably gathered, I'm looking for atmosphere, and I lean much more towards the atmospheres of DSotM and WYWH than The Wall.

Sorry for posting such a localised, precise and personal topic, I just really want recommendations from people who trip and this seems like the best place for it. :smile: I can't really just consult the other topics about good trip music because a lot of the music there differs wildly from what I want, for example being chaotic and trippy.

If there's any music that seems to whisper softly in your ear, gently lay the warmest and most comfortable blanket ever conceived over you and then row you down a perfectly still river going through the most beautiful and serene place imaginable... post it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEdgeChaos
Still a stranger

Re: Music creating celestial, dreamy, beautiful, spacey etc. soundscapes. [Re: Sheeno]
    #11597372 - 12/06/09 04:24 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

InvisiblePrimal Glitch
literally just vibing
Male User Gallery

Loc: 🌎 Flag
Re: Music creating celestial, dreamy, beautiful, spacey etc. soundscapes. [Re: Sheeno]
    #11597398 - 12/06/09 04:28 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

more Floyd:
A momentary lapse of reason
Animals
:thumbup:

some other trippy chill stuff:
Boards of Canada
Future Sound of London
Meat Beat Manifesto
Lunatic Calm

:mushroom2:

--------------------

make the changa you wish to see in the world
                                                                gnome sayin'?

OfflineEdgeChaos
Still a stranger

Re: Music creating celestial, dreamy, beautiful, spacey etc. soundscapes. [Re: Primal Glitch]
    #11597430 - 12/06/09 04:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Boards of Canada FTW!

Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

Loc: under the rainbow
Re: Music creating celestial, dreamy, beautiful, spacey etc. soundscapes. [Re: Primal Glitch]
    #11599237 - 12/06/09 08:51 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

tripleclick said:
more Floyd:
A momentary lapse of reason
Animals
:thumbup:

I'll add Meddle
Animals is totally awesome, one, if not my favorite Pink Floyd album.

I got heavily into ambient music after tripping. I do a lot of listening to music while doing little handy work, so music that hits the back burner is perfect for a lot of what I do day-to-day.

You said you wanted more up-front music though, so I won't suggest Brian Eno, but he's totally worth a try next time you trip. 'Apollo Atmospheres and Soundtracks' and 'Discreet Music' are good.

I'd give Godspeed You! Black Emperor a try, maybe start with 'Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada [EP]' or 'Lift Your Skinny Fists To Heaven'. It's good music, you just have to be in the mood for it.

You're looking for something very Floyd esq, it's hard to say what else you would like. Maybe try some Yes? 'Close to the Edge' is awesome.

--------------------
the greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it

OfflineEtherealfeeling
invisible suture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sleepless City Treno
Re: Music creating celestial, dreamy, beautiful, spacey etc. soundscapes. [Re: tempingasashaman]
    #11599639 - 12/06/09 09:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineSheeno
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Music creating celestial, dreamy, beautiful, spacey etc. soundscapes. [Re: Etherealfeeling]
    #11619219 - 12/09/09 06:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I really like:
Boards of Canada
Animals by PF
Brian Eno (checked him out anyway, any more stuff like him would be very good)

Will get albums by all of the above.

I quite like Her Space Holiday, but I don't particularly like Valkyrie Profile.

I'll get Tool's Lateralus and GY!BE's Lift Your... just because they're so acclaimed, although I'm not sure if they're what I'm after.

And I already have Close to the Edge by Yes actually, and yes it is very good. Never gave it the playtime it deserved though.

I'll try the rest at the weekend.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. Any more will be appreciated, although my mind's calmed down a bit since the trip and so all I'm looking for is chilled-out music, which is easier to find than previous narrow request. Still, any "chilled out" music to recommend and I'd love to hear it!

OfflineEdgeChaos
Still a stranger

#11620778 - 12/09/09 11:04 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

A great way to find new stuff is to make a Pandora radio station based on one song you like. Thumbs up a few songs that you absolutely love and thumbs down only songs that you hate. Always make new stations off the songs that really stand out.

It doesn't work to well with rock music but it's perfect for electronic. Try it with RoyGBiv by Boards of Canada.

pandora.com

InvisibleLysergicLeopard
Stranger
Male

Re: Music creating celestial, dreamy, beautiful, spacey etc. soundscapes. [Re: EdgeChaos]
    #11620887 - 12/09/09 11:26 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Alex Skolnick

Rodrigo Y Gabriella (Acoustic cover of Orion)

Jeff Loomis

Mastodon

Joe Satriani

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

#11620905 - 12/09/09 11:29 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

"Dreamland Society" by Marco Torrance

Here's the last song....

http://www.livevideo.com/video/EFBA3F27A0934C3A847E21A523D6A8D0/marco-torrance-earth-rising.aspx?lastvcid=638886

But I highly recommend getting the album and listening to it in it's entirety. I feel like I'm being reborn listening to it. It's such a life affirming album, I can hardly believe it.

OfflineSheeno
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Music creating celestial, dreamy, beautiful, spacey etc. soundscapes. [Re: fazdazzle]
    #11640995 - 12/13/09 05:35 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

LysergicLeopard:

Thanks for the Joe Satriani; that's really good. I'm a fan of Skolnick and Loomis in some of the bands they've played in, but never thought to try their solo stuff. The Skolnick is especially good. Are the albums from which the Satriani and Skolnick is taken all like the two songs?

The Mastodon's a bit too aggressive and heavy though (I already have the album myself), and the Orion cover will probably put me into fits of rage whilst I trip because, well, it's an Orion cover. :P Not the biggest Metallica fan, I'm afraid.

EdgeChaos, thanks, it's a good idea, but it says that I can't do it because I'm outside of the US. :frown:

fazdazzle, that's kick ass. I shall get it now.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #11641544 - 12/13/09 09:13 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

you will love Pink floyds Wish you were here album! (Animals is also nice, but DSOTM and WYWH are my favs:)
Def Leppard's Slang is also an intereseting rock album, not anything like pink floyd though
Opeth's Damnation is a must for you if you're a metalhead (non-metal abum though, but magnificent!)

I used to be a metalhead in highschool. Don't listen to it much anymore but still like some metal.

if you're into electronic stuff you could check the link in my sig

OfflineLego
Stranger
    #11652071 - 12/14/09 10:01 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

There is a Portland-based artist named Liz Harris.

She records under the name 'Grouper'.

She released an album called 'Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill'.

It is magical.

Get it.

OfflinePhonerothyme
Audiomancer
Male

Re: Music creating celestial, dreamy, beautiful, spacey etc. soundscapes. [Re: Lego]
    #11652300 - 12/14/09 10:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Of course, threads like this always lead to a bunch of people spouting off lists of names.

However, I'm going to go ahead and agree heartily with everyone who said Boards of Canada.

You may like my music too. ;D

--------------------
http://erothyme.net

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio Flag
    #11652592 - 12/14/09 11:28 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Whenever I think of very atmospheric music I think of Deerhunter or Atlas Sound.

Others might disagree though.

--------------------
!

InvisibleLysergicLeopard
Stranger
Male

#11653472 - 12/15/09 04:53 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Some of the Satriani songs on the 'Strange Beautiful Music' album are soft in nature, like most of his albums there is a nice mix of different tempos throughout.

The Skolnick album has a sort of spaghetti-western bluesy feel overall.

Example:

Here's another good chill Satch song...

Animals as Leaders (very trippy album)

And some good ole TestAmenT

Offlineaghorrorag
NonExistent
Male User Gallery

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Music creating celestial, dreamy, beautiful, spacey etc. soundscapes. [Re: LysergicLeopard]
    #11655306 - 12/15/09 12:55 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

In my experience, the only other album that has the same power as DSOTM is Radiohead's OK Computer.  Radiohead is the king of modern-day space rock, and is today's pink floyd.  I wish, I wish, I wish I was listening to Radiohead when I first started doing drugs.

--------------------
My entire Life is defined by this link. I beg of you to read: https://www.facebook.com/notes/tsafir-kamel/a-compassionate-message-for-jews-and-christians/10150614597334779

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order