Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibledwpineal
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

Pot legalization vote could be next year
    #11650941 - 12/14/09 09:09 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/14/MNNP1B48G5.DTL&tsp=1

Pot legalization vote could be next year

(12-14) 16:56 PST SACRAMENTO -- Advocates of legalizing marijuana say they've collected more than enough signatures to have California voters decide next year whether to tax and regulate the drug.

The signatures in support of the Tax and Regulate Initiative, which would give local governments the authority to tax and regulate the sale of marijuana, will be submitted to state election officials early next year for verification.

Delaying the submission of signatures ensures the measure would be on the November 2010 ballot, said Richard Lee, the measure's chief supporter.

The petition drive collected more than 680,000 signatures in just two months, less than half the time allowed for such a drive, said Lee, who owns Oaksterdam University and Coffeeshop Blue Sky, two Oakland-based marijuana businesses.

The signature-gathering effort, which was managed by a professional firm and so far has cost more than $1 million, only needed 433,971 valid signatures from registered voters to make the ballot, he said.

"It's long overdue," Lee said. "It was very easy. People were eager to sign. We heard they were ripping the petitions out of people's hands to do it."

He said supporters hope to raise $7 million to $20 million to pass the measure, though some opposition may be expected from law enforcement groups.

The proponents of the initiative say it is similar to the regulation of alcohol and tobacco products. It will give local governments the power to tax and regulate sales of small amounts of marijuana to adults 21 and older.

The measure also calls for increasing penalties for providing marijuana to a minor, and prohibits consumption of marijuana in public, smoking marijuana while minors are present, and possession of marijuana on school grounds.

Supporters say that studies from the Board of Equalization, California's tax regulator, suggest that taxing and regulating of marijuana could raise as much as $1.4 billion in annual revenue.

The possibility of raising such revenue in cash-strapped California, which faces a $22 billion budget deficit in the coming year, has sparked support from some surprising sources.

"This initiative is moral, sensible and the right thing to do," said Rabbi Jeffrey Kahn of the Interfaith Drug Policy Initiative in a statement released Monday. "Regulating cannabis is a common sense solution that puts our priorities in order and reflects our values."

A recent California Field Poll suggested that a majority of California voters, 56 percent, support the idea of legalizing and taxing cannabis.

Email Carla Marinucci at cmarinucci@sfchronicle.com

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLSDreamer
Materialist
Male

Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: dwpineal]
    #11651144 - 12/14/09 09:45 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Misleading headline is misleading.

--------------------

InvisibleDragonaut
Fire Marshall

Loc: Burn Ward
Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: LSDreamer]
    #11651507 - 12/14/09 10:36 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

LSDreamer said:
Misleading headline is misleading.

:lol: Onion?

--------------------
:dragon: See all my Favorite Threads (lots of info)

:alert: ATTENTION NOOBS: ASK ALL YOUR CULTIVATION QUESTIONS HERE :alert:

buy my impulse and vacuum sealers  :pm: <--click

Offlinegnarfbuckle
Above The Ignorance
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan
Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: Dragonaut]
    #11651579 - 12/14/09 10:43 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I hope it doesnt go thru. It would be the worse peice of marijuana legislation EVER

Offlinesuburbanned
Stranger

Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: gnarfbuckle]
    #11651962 - 12/14/09 11:38 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Obviously weed smokers want their cake and to eat it too.
I don't see how the title is misleading, it could very well be on the ballot next year.  Legal marijuana is legal marijuana.

Offlinenickelz34
Fungi Eater

Loc: Quebec, Canada Flag
Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: dwpineal]
    #11652132 - 12/15/09 12:11 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

if this happens cali will be overwhelmed by a modern day gold rush

--------------------
Super Easy LC

Shroomerys secrets to free things !! All users contribute!!

The reason my post count is so low is because I know how to use the  search option on this site

Rotten Status : closed site gone

InvisibleDephect
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: nickelz34]
    #11652323 - 12/15/09 12:38 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Oh yeah!

OfflineNoxNoctum
Stranger
    #11652395 - 12/15/09 12:51 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

gnarfbuckle said:
I hope it doesnt go thru. It would be the worse peice of marijuana legislation EVER

You serious?

Sure it sucks that you can't smoke in front of a minor (and you can drink and smoke tobacco) but hell it'll be LEGALIZED. I'll take it.

Fucking sucks I just moved out of Cali. Gotta get my ass back there pronto.

56% supporting it... not bad at all. Plus I think a lot more stoners will turn out to vote than anti-pot types.

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: NoxNoctum]
    #11652616 - 12/15/09 01:33 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

NoxNoctum said:
Quote:

gnarfbuckle said:

You serious?

Sure it sucks that you can't smoke in front of a minor (and you can drink and smoke tobacco) but hell it'll be LEGALIZED. I'll take it.

56% supporting it... not bad at all. Plus I think a lot more stoners will turn out to vote than anti-pot types.

Yeah, I don't see why it would be the "worse peice of marijuana legislation EVER".  I mean... look at the marijuana laws we have now.

So what, you can't smoke in front of a minor.  You can't drink in public either, at least not in my state.  You can't have it on school grounds... who gives a shit?

If it passes, then there will be plenty of time to work out the kinks later.  But getting it legal should be first and foremost.

--------------------
My name is Mud

Offlinesuburbanned
Stranger

Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: DragonChaser]
    #11652747 - 12/15/09 01:58 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I think that it is good that it is during mid-terms as well.  More people will go out and vote specifically for it, than people who will go out to vote against

Offlinesupernovasky
Comrade
 User Gallery

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: suburbanned]
    #11652835 - 12/15/09 02:19 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Its got good support too... 56% as of the latest poll.

--------------------

Offlinegnarfbuckle
Above The Ignorance
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: DragonChaser]
    #11652879 - 12/15/09 02:28 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DragonChaser said:
Quote:

NoxNoctum said:
Quote:

gnarfbuckle said:

You serious?

Yeah, I don't see why it would be the "worse peice of marijuana legislation EVER".  I mean... look at the marijuana laws we have now.

So what, you can't smoke in front of a minor.  You can't drink in public either, at least not in my state.  You can't have it on school grounds... who gives a shit?

If it passes, then there will be plenty of time to work out the kinks later.  But getting it legal should be first and foremost.

You guys obviousy havent heard about the bills. Its a giant money scam, you can only have 1 ounce of bud on you and only 25 sq feet of growing space. Theres all kinds of restrictions and taxes and bullshit that only makes everything worse.

The penalties are also made MUCH worse is you break these new limits.

The entire thing is just a govt cash cow.

The idea of legalizing sounds nice but its not their true intentions.

I mean shit, you can get you medical bud in cali easy as shit and NOT BE 21!

Plus the ridiculous prices the clubs are charging will go up!

This doesnt do anything to release the non-violent offenders clogging our jails either!

Edited by gnarfbuckle (12/15/09 02:33 AM)

OfflineSinoc
Jugglin' fool

#11652931 - 12/15/09 02:40 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

gnarfbuckle said:
Quote:

DragonChaser said:
Quote:

NoxNoctum said:
Quote:

gnarfbuckle said:

You serious?

You guys obviousy havent heard about the bills. Its a giant money scam, you can only have 1 ounce of bud on you and only 25 sq feet of growing space. Theres all kinds of restrictions and taxes and bullshit that only makes everything worse.

The penalties are also made MUCH worse is you break these new limits.

The entire thing is just a govt cash cow.

The idea of legalizing sounds nice but its not their true intentions.

I mean shit, you can get you medical bud in cali easy as shit and NOT BE 21!

Plus the ridiculous prices the clubs are charging will go up!

This doesnt do anything to release the non-violent offenders clogging our jails either!

You know, because getting thrown in jail for having a tiny ammount, or growing one single plant is better than being able to carry an ounce and have 25 feet of grow space.

Who gives a fuck about these restrictions?  It means I can legally smoke weed in my own home without fear of being arrested.  Most of my friends never have over an ounce anyways (Besides the dealers, but that's a DERP.)

Also, I foresee many marijuana bars opening as soon as this law passes.  How on earth could you not like this????  And about the medical part, what about those of us NOT in cali at the moment?  What if I don't want to go to cali to get a stupid medical license?  I'd like to be able to smoke my weed without having a piece of plastic telling me I'm allowed to do so.

Offlinesupernovasky
Comrade
 User Gallery

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: Sinoc]
    #11652991 - 12/15/09 02:59 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Ooooooooohhhhh nooooo they are restrictive.

Fuck that. I want legal weed. We'll worry about the restrictions later.

--------------------

Offlinegnarfbuckle
Above The Ignorance
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: Sinoc]
    #11653045 - 12/15/09 03:20 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Sinoc said:

You know, because getting thrown in jail for having a tiny ammount, or growing one single plant is better than being able to carry an ounce and have 25 feet of grow space.

Who gives a fuck about these restrictions?  It means I can legally smoke weed in my own home without fear of being arrested.  Most of my friends never have over an ounce anyways (Besides the dealers, but that's a DERP.)

Also, I foresee many marijuana bars opening as soon as this law passes.  How on earth could you not like this????  And about the medical part, what about those of us NOT in cali at the moment?  What if I don't want to go to cali to get a stupid medical license?  I'd like to be able to smoke my weed without having a piece of plastic telling me I'm allowed to do so.

First of all, its 25 sq feet, meaning 5 x 5. Second of all, just go get a damn medical card if you want to grow and smoke, the restriction are waaaaay less.

And ok so your not in cali.... Then how the fuck are you gonna benefit from this bill? You realize this is for cali only

Frankly its people like you that judge a bill by its cover that have made America so fucked up today. All you care about is smoking your weed no matter the consequences.

Offlinewinterone
Earth Wanderer

#11653383 - 12/15/09 05:59 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

It isn't a done deal the bill hasn't gone through the long and labourious process of finalization things will be added and things will get droped,BUT first it has to be started on and that means a vote. Not sure if it has been finalized for a vote. Only thing I see is a lot of signatures forcing the legeslature to put it on the ballot it isn't a done deal if they vote it in, just approved to be haggled and written up for law. Yea it's a cash cow , but so was achohol after prohibition. We have to start somewhere and this is as good of a place as any.

--------------------
Alice
I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!

OfflineVibes
Good Vibes
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: winterone]
    #11653566 - 12/15/09 07:36 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Darn you misleading title! :shakefist:

--------------------
:mushroom2:Good Vibes:mushroom2:

OfflineNymphaea
Money-less Wanderer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mitten Flag
Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: Vibes]
    #11655875 - 12/15/09 04:18 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I hope this passes.  I feel like if it doesn't pass then it is a major set back, and if it does pass then we can foresee legalization all over the country sooner then we had expected.

The FUCKING FEDERAL GOVERNMENT better stay out of the way.  Although infringing on State's rights is a good way to bring some republicans onto the band wagon.

California is going to be flooded with tourism and business.  Local businesses who weren't supporters of the bill will become supporters as they start selling a lot more food. 

I can't believe this is actually happening!  This is very exciting to finally see.

:potleaf:

--------------------
:huxleyfacepalm:

InvisiblePsilliCoder
xXxXxXx

Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: Nymphaea]
    #11656071 - 12/15/09 04:52 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

As hopeful as I am. If they legalize marijuana in california, it will increase the busts in other states for sure as it will be easier to get and transported. I don't see it happening. Not yet at least.

--------------------

OfflineRecursivePhi
Exploring Shpongleland

Loc: Around
Re: Pot legalization vote could be next year [Re: PsilliCoder]
    #11657228 - 12/15/09 07:43 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I'm hopeful for this going through as long as the momentum stays there. Polls say the majority is ready, but only a vote will tell. Let's hope it doesn't lose any steam

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service