Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Microscope, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleStainItBlue

sterilizing with Ozone
    #1165018 - 12/23/02 02:20 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i know ozone or 03 is used in salt water fish tanks to kill microorganisms....do you think it would be possible to use in a standard pf tek...like mixing it with the water and then mixing that with the brf and verm? the stuff can be bought at specialty aquarium stores...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: sterilizing with Ozone [Re: StainItBlue]
    #1165820 - 12/23/02 08:47 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

well from what i know ozone is a gas, and not only does it kill microrganisms it kills us too, all biological matter i think... but if its like used in a solution *shrugs* i dont know, i would imagine, and if you used just a little bit maybe you could target some contams in your jars, but i dont know how well that would run over with the mycelium. im not sure if ozone solution would be effective even if it could be in some solidified form to make a solution to mix with your brf. considering it does do the job you still have to worry about removing the o3 so you can grow your mycelium, seeing how its heavier than air you could just lay them upside down, pushing o3 out and letting clean air (hopefully) in and just innoculate. you may want to ask someone who knows more about o3 cause im not totally sure about all of it, but thats my rough knowledge of o3 and biology.

--------------------
What?

InvisibleUna
controlleddemolition

#1166499 - 12/24/02 06:41 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I know that ozone is used to sterilise water (for consumption) and that the drainage water from rockwool grown vegetables is sterilised by ozone before re-using it.

However i don't think it would be practical to sterilise small amounts of substrate with ozone. Were will you get an ozone generator, how will you get the ozone in the jars and how will you get it to penetrate the whole substrate....My guess....it will not work.

--------------------
www.911blogger.com

InvisibleStainItBlue

Re: sterilizing with Ozone [Re: Una]
    #1168657 - 12/24/02 10:54 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

from what i understand from my friend is that he puts it in his saltwater fish tank...im guessing it is sold in a solution...he puts it in and it doesnt kill the fish just the bacteria that start killing fish or something like that...i dont know where im going with this but if i get my hand on some im gonna do something with it...who knows

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1168938 - 12/25/02 06:30 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

good luck to you. let us know if it works :smile: . or if it doesnt what happened hehehe  :grin:

--------------------
What?

OfflineWaldarbeiter
can you eat it?

Loc: woods of lower bavaria
    #1171125 - 12/26/02 10:15 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

As far as I know ozone O3 breaks down to O2 very quickly under normal conditions... in fact, without the sun's UV-radiation the earth's ozone layer would vanish quickly... it's so that it's always re-produced cuz of UV.

mhh. I think it wouldn't kill the contaminants...
but try it then post results.

PS: maybe what I wrote above is bullshit....yaknow I'm like stoned now
but I am not AS think as you might stoned.
Maybe you don't know what UV is...
that's your problem I forgot the english expression. :wink:

InvisibleAlkaloids
3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine
Male

Loc: pubis mons
    #1171193 - 12/26/02 11:17 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

perhaps you could bubble ozone through the water you are going to add to your substrate (the way it is done in commercial water sterilization) and then add that to your (seperately) sterilized substrate as an added means of control.  I am not sure about solution stabilized ozone so i won't venture a guess on that one.  :smile:
  Although ,admittedly, it would seem easier to just get a good Pressure cooker and use that rather than worry about taking all these cumbersome steps.
  good luck either way 

--------------------

Invisiblewinelover
crimson jedi
 User Gallery
    #1173119 - 12/27/02 07:12 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

i know ozone or 03 is used in salt water fish tanks to kill microorganisms....do you think it would be possible to use in a standard pf tek...like mixing it with the water and then mixing that with the brf and verm? the stuff can be bought at specialty aquarium stores...

it is also used to sterilize milk in Russia , and for vaporizing in sterile food processing factories behind air filtration or shrinking cancer tumas in latin American hospitals I drink dilut solutions 10 drops of 3% in a glass of water will get rid of the  bacteria and oxigenate your body :wink:

Edited by winelover (12/27/02 07:29 AM)

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: sterilizing with Ozone [Re: winelover]
    #1173593 - 12/27/02 10:31 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

10 drops of 3%? Are you talking about ozone or peroxide?

I don't know that 'getting rid of the bacteria' is a very good thing, you wouldn't be able to digest much.

Offlinethecannuck
Big daddylumberjack

Loc: slurpee capital of the wo...
    #1173989 - 12/27/02 02:13 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Ozone is used to keep bacteria out of pools, And its made from a special UV flourecent light.

So using the lights in the room could help keep contams down. I read somewhere that rats were exposed to ozone and they recieved some pretty good lung damage. So no ozone for me.

InvisibleUna
controlleddemolition

#1174577 - 12/28/02 03:46 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

some interesting links with regards to ozone:

Safety sheet:

http://www.hankinozone.com/msds.html

a quote from above safety sheet:

Section 6 - Health Hazard Data

Permissible Exposure Limit: The current standard for ozone is 0.1 part of ozone per million parts of air (ppm) averaged over an eight-hour work shift. This may also be expressed as 0.2 milligrams of ozone per cubic meter of air (mg/m3). No criteria is set for the permissible concentration of ozone in water.

Symptoms of Exposure: A sharp irritating odor is noticed after exposure to very low concentrations ( =0.04 ppm) of ozone for a very brief period of time. As the concentration of ozone increases, the ability to smell it may decrease. Irritation to the eyes, dryness of the nose and throat, and a cough may be experienced. If the ozone concentrations continue to rise, more severe symptoms may develop. These may include headache, upset stomach, or vomiting, pain or tightness of the chest, shortness of breath or tiredness, which may last for several days or weeks. Finally, with higher levels of exposure, the lungs may be damaged and death may occur.

Toxicological Properties: Ozone is extremely irritating to the upper and lower respiratory tract. The characteristic odor is readily detectable at low concentrations ( 0.02 ppm to 0.05 ppm). Ozone produces local irritation of the eyes and mucous membranes and may cause pulmonary edema at high exposure. Systematically, ozone has been reported to mimic the effects of ionizing radiation, and may cause damage to chromosomal structures. A partial tolerance appears to develop with repeated exposures. Although most effects are acute, the possibility of chronic lung impairment should be considered, based upon animal experimentation.

http://www.ozonio.com.br/

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

http://www.lenntech.com/ozone.htm

After reading some more i come to the following conclusion:

* Ozone can not be produced easily at home
* Ozone is quite dangerous to work with
* Ozone is very unstable

You would be better off buying a pressure cooker :smile: If ozone was a good alternative for the sterilisation of spawn i'm sure some company would have already deviced a method. A major problem woud be to get it to penetrate the substrate. For topical desinfection or for liquids i'm pretty sure it would work but not for solids such as rye or BRF.

--------------------
www.911blogger.com

InvisibleSubGen1us
 User Gallery

#1192580 - 01/05/03 02:32 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Just because he thinks it protects the fish doesnt mean it does. "Newbie" fish keepers add chemicals and all kind of crap to theyre fish water in hopes that it makes it better. in all actuallity its just fouling up your water. it mayt seem better but there is nuthing better than frequent water changes to ur tank. empty 40% and replace. The water replacement is done by professionals because they know how things really work and dont go out and buy chemicals that say they help but dont.. therefor i dont think it will help mushrooms.

--------------------

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Trusted Cultivator
    #1193039 - 01/05/03 05:15 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Ozone is best used in storage of dried mushrooms. It maintains them for a lnger period of time by preventing air to do damage to them. There is a tek on this somewhere.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

InvisibleTxTec
Texas home andheart breaker...

#1193794 - 01/05/03 08:29 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

This is really an easy one cause i make an sell uv sterilizers for aquarium usage. When water is expossed to uv via light or electro stimmuli it has a profound bleach smell and is not at all good for any life substaining quality...It kills many organisms that are very harmful to fish only if exposure rate are very carefully calcuated. This is a really bad way to go toward mycology cultivation...thanks txtec..

--------------------
I felt a warm warm breeze that melted metal and steele

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #1194168 - 01/05/03 11:39 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i suspect that the action of oxone and the mechanism that it works by is identical to hydrogen peroxide, only it is probably a bit more chemicly reactive.

essentially the action of H2O2 is dependant on the fact that the molecule is inhearantly unstable and breaks down, releasing free oxygen.  this free oxeygen is different than normal molecular oxygen.  normally oxygen exists as a molecule, not as individual atoms.  (O2 as opposed to simply O)  free oxygen is intensely reative with organic molecules like the protiens that are on the surface of a mold spore or bacteria cell.  this literally burns the organic molecules, and if done sufficiently, will cause death of whatever living stuff it touches.  it doesn't hurt you so much because you have lots of cells to kill, and lots of peroxide reducing enzymes. :cool:

so, while the action of the two chemicals is similar, lots of research has been done on H2O2 but not so much with ozone as applied to mushroom cultivation.  it would be a good idea to do some basic experiments that compare ozone, H2O2, and nothing.  (in this case, nothing is the control for the experiment.)

Edited by tchyted (01/05/03 11:41 PM)

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: sterilizing with Ozone [Re: tchyted]
    #1197348 - 01/07/03 10:56 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

My understanding of ozones activity is pretty similar.

But ozone has been researched for mycology. Alien, the guy that gave us that nifty little quinoa based substrate used it rather extensively. Even had plans for making an ozone generator on his website.

I'm not sure how much he really used it for substrates, but I know he used it to keep his grow area clean, and to sterilize his casing mixtures. Search and you should be able to find some of the old info, or a link to his home page with the original documents.

Remember, this stuff is not good to inhale too much of.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineMycoInventor
Inventor
Re: sterilizing with Ozone [Re: Ripple]
    #1197718 - 01/07/03 01:09 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Incorrect. I believe that the tek you are refering to uses C02. I would not use ozone to prezerve my mushies. Oxygen oxidizes the active goodies. Ozone is 03 the extra atom readily comes off and oxidizes things. This is how it keeps air fresh and is used to strilize.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
My capitate carpophore was so ellipsoid it made her sporulate!

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: sterilizing with Ozone [Re: MycoInventor]
    #1199675 - 01/08/03 06:59 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I agree, I think ozone would damage the mushies although I am not absolutely certain.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

Re: sterilizing with Ozone [Re: mycofile]
    #1199716 - 01/08/03 07:19 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

Offlinethecannuck
Big daddylumberjack

Loc: slurpee capital of the wo...
Re: sterilizing with Ozone [Re: ralphster44]
    #1199767 - 01/08/03 07:51 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Heres a link to a site that talks about medical applications of ozone... might provide some insight on this topic, i havent had a chance to read it all yet.

...."Oxygen, as we know, has two atoms. High voltage, as from lightning, breaks these two atoms apart. Quickly, these atoms hop back together in threes {O3}. Confused, these atoms do not like this arrangement and want desperately to dissolve this uncomfortable trio. So as this O3 molecule floats in the air, when one of the atoms spots a contaminant molecule to attach itself to, it breaks away from the other two atoms. To its surprise, this attachment is actually an attack on the contaminant and creates a microscopic explosion. Both the contaminant and the atom are destroyed. This leaves the other two atoms behind as pure oxygen {O2} without the presence of the contaminant. The explosion changes the contaminant into carbon dioxide and hydrogen, which we can breathe."

yadda yadda yadda

More on Ozone...

Edited by thecannuck (01/08/03 07:55 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Microscope, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology