Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleStainItBlue

Re: ways of hooking up a computer fan to a power s [Re: StainItBlue]
    #1162717 - 12/22/02 03:00 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

replying to:You most definitely can use a 550W power supply with a motherboard which recommends a 250W power supply. Any power supply recommendations for computers are minimums,

do you put a 75w light into a socket that says 40 w light recomended BECAUSE OF THE RISK OF FIRE....you most definatly can do it but its not fucking practical...all your arguments are about stuff that is not practical.....its like having a quart jar with brf/verm....you can do it but there is toooooo many negative effects to doin it...hence its not practical like all of your remarks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
    #1162723 - 12/22/02 03:03 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

There seems to be a lot of confusion here about wattage.Wattage is simply AMPS X VOLTS = WATTS.A 550w power supply won't make a device connected to it draw any more power than a 100w supply.If the fan is designed to run off 12 volts at lets say .14 amps,Then you would want to make sure that you use a supply rated at LEAST .14 amps at 12 volts. Example: a 12 volt supply capable of delivering 2 amps would be fine,but not one capable of only .09 amps. If you use a supply that has less than 12 volts output,then it will draw more current than .14 amps to deliver the same power (wattage)

Edited by Pinhead (12/22/02 03:06 PM)

OfflineNirvhead
-State of Art-

Loc: WA State, USA
    #1162732 - 12/22/02 03:06 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

number 2 this is the dumbest thing you said because a computer only has 1 and i reapeat 1 hard drive

Oh really? Which particular computer are you talking about? Not only did I think some people used more than one hard drive in their computer, but I thought there was more than one computer in existence as well. Silly me.

In reply to:

number 3 you dont need any more floppy drives because 1 no one uses floppys anymore 2 people use 3.5's or cd's and you can only use one at a time anyway...you cant run a 3.5 drive with a floppy drive at the same time ....and youll see the only way to do it is with a music cd already running.....and you dont need any more power than what is recomended because exces drivers such as printers and scanners have their own powersupply .....but you knew that didnt you

I used floppy drives as an example only... I currently have a CD-ROM drive, a CD-R drive, a hard drive, and a floppy drive. I also intend to get a DVD drive at some point. There are many other internal drives that many people use - ZIP Drives and other backup devices, additional fans, etc. I myself have had varied setups before, including multiple hard drives (I've had up to 3 in one computer) and multiple disk drives (perhaps you see no use for this, but then again this isn't about you or me - I was only explaining electrical formulae to begin with). Regardless of what you may think you know, there are thousands of different types of computer users out there, all with their own particular uses and desired specifications. Don't take it upon yourself to start flaming just because you don't see beyond your own little box.

--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
I turn my back to the east,
From whence comforts have increas'd;
For light doth seize my brain
With frantic pain.

InvisibleStainItBlue

Re: ways of hooking up a computer fan to a power s [Re: Nirvhead]
    #1162733 - 12/22/02 03:06 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

OK but it was an example so stop spreading your misinformation about computers mister im running 3 hard drives at once along with 6 floppy drives ....and you can run a 12v fan on a 250 watt power supply but it will burn out....it will...ive done it thats why i use a 12v power supply because the fan is goin faster than it has to and burns out

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

#1162739 - 12/22/02 03:09 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In response to:

and you can run a 12v fan on a 250 watt power supply but it will burn out....it will...ive done it thats why i use a 12v power supply because the fan is goin faster than it has to and burns out

Utter nonsense,You don't know anything about basic electronics. Thats just got to be the craziest thing I've read on this board so far..Complete Bullshit.

OfflineNirvhead
-State of Art-

#1162749 - 12/22/02 03:14 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

do you put a 75w light into a socket that says 40 w light recomended BECAUSE OF THE RISK OF FIRE....you most definatly can do it but its not fucking practical...all your arguments are about stuff that is not practical.....its like having a quart jar with brf/verm....you can do it but there is toooooo many negative effects to doin it...hence its not practical like all of your remarks

No, you wouldn't put a 75W light into a socket rated at 40W. This is due to fire risk related to wire gauge. How does this relate at all to what I have been trying to explain? We're talking about putting a low-voltage fan on a high-wattage power supply. Volts and watts are not interchangable. Please research this a little more before making senseless comments about anyone else's knowledge.

--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
With frantic pain.

InvisibleStainItBlue

#1162754 - 12/22/02 03:15 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

yes you used floppy drives as an example...as my entire post was merely an example also...i dont know about you but my little box has all your computer has in 4 drives none of which i used at the same time as another one.....personal computers like your and my little box has 1 fucking hard drive...only one how in the world can you have 2 hard drives running at the same time ? you have 2 different motherboards in your comp? do you hmmm howd you pull that off.... idiot

InvisibleStainItBlue

Re: ways of hooking up a computer fan to a power s [Re: Pinhead]
    #1162758 - 12/22/02 03:18 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

WHEN I HOOKED THE FAN TO THE POWERSUPPLY IT BURNT OUT IN LESS THAN AN HOUR......

OfflineNirvhead
-State of Art-

#1162761 - 12/22/02 03:20 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Dude, time to quit smoking the crack. It's not actually a very complex concept - many devices can be run from one computer. Yes, even on a dinky little personal computer like yours or mine. You're just digging yourself deeper and deeper into the stupid hole. BTW: This is the cultivation forum, not the "be an ignorant prick" forum. Go to OTD or something and quit wasting our time.

--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
With frantic pain.

InvisibleStainItBlue

#1162762 - 12/22/02 03:20 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

hows that bs ...

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

#1162766 - 12/22/02 03:22 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Just remember the basic P.I.E chart to figure out problems like this. "P" =Power(Watts) "I"=Current (Amps) "E"=Volts.
P=IxE . There's no argument..Understand and use this formula . This is'nt my opinion,its the facts.

InvisibleStainItBlue

#1162769 - 12/22/02 03:24 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

again you said devices like i said your wrong you cant have 2 hard drives in one computer..wtf i never said i was right but jesus christ common fuckin sense here...you cannot have more than 1 hard drive in your computer thats stupid
mayb ee you need to stop beatin off in your eye so you can read

InvisibleStainItBlue

#1162772 - 12/22/02 03:26 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

thats all dandy ...im telling you my experience...

OfflineNirvhead
-State of Art-

#1162781 - 12/22/02 03:29 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

again you said devices like i said your wrong you cant have 2 hard drives in one computer..wtf i never said i was right but jesus christ common fuckin sense here...you cannot have more than 1 hard drive in your computer thats stupid
mayb ee you need to stop beatin off in your eye so you can read

Please don't tell me you're a computer tech too... I happen to have 9 years experience building computers, and you most definitely, without a doubt, undeniably CAN* have multiple hard drives in any IBM compatible computer built after 1979 or so (or before - who knows). It's something I have done many times in years past with my own computer, as one hard drive fills up fast.

*See definition in Websters Dictionary.

--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
With frantic pain.

InvisibleStainItBlue

Re: ways of hooking up a computer fan to a power s [Re: Nirvhead]
    #1162787 - 12/22/02 03:32 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

lmao are you are an idiot.....utter bullshit....you might be able to stick em in there but you cant have 2 of em running at the same time....filling up....i think your getting hard drive confused with memory there buddy....what you said is wrong

InvisibleStainItBlue

#1162790 - 12/22/02 03:33 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

your computers have 2 processers too right you fucking idiot

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

#1162792 - 12/22/02 03:34 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Oh..I beleive your fan died,really.But as for your explanation as why..I'm telling you its just not possible.Now if you were to tell me that you used an excessive voltage supply..OK, sure. Really,I'm telling you the truth.If you understood basic electronics you would laugh your ass of at the statements you made. I'm not trying to call you stupid..Just saying that your interpretation (sp?) as to why your fan died is incorrect.

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

#1162796 - 12/22/02 03:36 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, computers can have 2 CPUs..Your fuckin with us right?..You must of known this!

InvisibleStainItBlue

#1162801 - 12/22/02 03:38 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

explain to me how this is possible?

OfflineNirvhead
-State of Art-

#1162803 - 12/22/02 03:39 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

your computers have 2 processers too right you fucking idiot

Hey buddy, just read this here quote of yours over and over and over to yourself... That'll save me from having to waste any more time replying to you.

--------------------
Like a fiend in a cloud
With howling woe,
After night I do croud
And with night will go;
With frantic pain.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag