Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

Re: starting a comPOAST [Re: Cactusdan]
    #11637081 - 12/12/09 02:37 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Indeed, back on topic.... I have two pretty large worm composters that I use, and between the two of them I definitely have more home-made worm castings than I could ever even use... I'm constantly giving away worm tea and worm castings...

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemellowyellow
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: starting a comPOAST [Re: theMallacht]
    #11637621 - 12/12/09 04:11 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

about time? 

there is a science to this or you can just put a bunch of bidegradable stuff in a pile and turn it may be a bit more simple for others

and youll end up with a a decent product that can be amdended with lime and your potting soils

--------------------
Looking to trade Plants And Ethnos  PM me

Rare Agave for trade tissued cultured last year

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Re: starting a comPOAST [Re: mellowyellow]
    #11637951 - 12/12/09 05:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yes you're correct by saying there's a science to composting. Various methods exist and each one is very similar to the next. Have you heard of the Hot Compost method? This is a proven scientific method of turning organic material into humus.

What about the The Carbon/ Nitrogen ratio then?

Quote:

All organic matter is made up of substantial amounts of carbon (C) combined with lesser amounts of nitrogen (N). The balance of these two elements in an organism is called the carbon-to-nitrogen ratio (C:N ratio). For best performance, the compost pile, or more to the point the composting microorganisms, require the correct proportion of carbon for energy and nitrogen for protein production. Scientists (yes, there are compost scientists) have determined that the fastest way to produce fertile, sweet-smelling compost is to maintain a C:N ratio somewhere around 25 to 30 parts carbon to 1 part nitrogen, or 25-30:1. If the C:N ratio is too high (excess carbon), decomposition slows down. If the C:N ratio is too low (excess nitrogen) you will end up with a stinky pile.

Thermophilic Bacteria? These are all scientific words

Quote:

In the process of composting, microorganisms break down organic matter and produce carbon dioxide, water, heat, and humus, the relatively stable organic end product. Under optimal conditions, composting proceeds through three phases: 1) the mesophilic, or moderate-temperature phase, which lasts for a couple of days, 2) the thermophilic, or high-temperature phase, which can last from a few days to several months, and finally, 3) a several-month cooling and maturation phase.

Different communities of microorganisms predominate during the various composting phases. Initial decomposition is carried out by mesophilic microorganisms, which rapidly break down the soluble, readily degradable compounds. The heat they produce causes the compost temperature to rapidly rise.

As the temperature rises above about 40°C, the mesophilic microorganisms become less competitive and are replaced by others that are thermophilic, or heat-loving. At temperatures of 55°C and above, many microorganisms that are human or plant pathogens are destroyed. Because temperatures over about 65°C kill many forms of microbes and limit the rate of decomposition, compost managers use aeration and mixing to keep the temperature below this point.

During the thermophilic phase, high temperatures accelerate the breakdown of proteins, fats, and complex carbohydrates like cellulose and hemicellulose, the major structural molecules in plants. As the supply of these high-energy compounds becomes exhausted, the compost temperature gradually decreases and mesophilic microorganisms once again take over for the final phase of "curing" or maturation of the remaining organic matter.

And finally, Why do you add small amounts of soil to a compost pile?

I don't need to quote for this one. I add soil because it is readily available, contains all the bacteria and micro organisms that I need to start a compost and it doesn't cost me a cent.

You don't have to use soil either, there is a plethora of products that can be bought off the shelf sold under the label of "soil/compost Activator". They are good products but I choose to not use them.

Other cheap and readily available compost/soil activators include: Soil, Comfrey, horse, sheep and cattle manures, Seaweed and fish emulsion fertilizers, Blood and bone meal, Molasses mixes, human urine and the list goes on....

You are also correct in that lime plays a part in the biodegradation process. All good compost recipes will instruct to add lime to the mix as it is well proven that this aids in breaking down organic matter.

This is the method I'm talking about here. I haven't heard you mention one method this entire thread. All Ive seen is "listen to me" and "don't do that" without any explanation. I certainly wouldn't follow your advice.

To everyone else, sorry for the excessive quoting~:sun:

--------------------

Offlinemellowyellow
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: starting a comPOAST [Re: karode13]
    #11641609 - 12/13/09 09:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

C:N ratio is only workable in certain conditions "pg 234" Soils Managment Book"  = When and organism in the compost breaks down a higher carbon to nitrogen ratio it works much more efficently with the proper chemistry of that 30:1 and or sometimes as high as 80:1 depending on what you compost. Although you can add nitrogen rich fertilizers and or nitrogen rich fresh greens to your compost and the microbs will actually work faster and harder to break down materials because of the increased fuel aka nitrogen then those microbs die cause a Nitrogen TIE UP and the carbon becomes mor prevailant over the nitrogen as those microbs die and decompose new microbs feed off the nitrogen in the dead ones bodies and start the process of decomposition again fueled by Pure nitrogen  sorry i dont explain myself but its still no reason to be like "oh maybe you should drop outtah school"

--------------------

InvisibleFleadh
Eh No....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ireland Flag
    #11641726 - 12/13/09 10:02 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have one of these bins in my kitchen:

I throw in eggshells, all uncooked vegrtable matter and coffee grounds, teabags and stuff like that.

It gets dumped into something very similar to one of these in the corner of my garden:

I also throw in any grass cuttings, weeds, broken plants, used peatmoss from old/repotted houseplants.

It has never filled. Its like a bottomless pit. Every winter I dig out from the bottom and spread around the garden.

I did once make the mistake of wetting it periodically with the hose  (thinking it needed to be wet to work) but this makes the stuff at the bottom a smelly slime instead of a peaty mulch. Also its important to keep the lid on for the same reasons.

--------------------
Friendships have come and gone but I always regret the girls I didn't bang

I just dont really care what you think

Offlinemellowyellow
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: starting a comPOAST [Re: Fleadh]
    #11641758 - 12/13/09 10:11 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

yea too much water amkes it aneraobic and thats bad theres no oxygen in there

--------------------

Invisibledanielx
whatup!
 User Gallery

Re: starting a comPOAST [Re: fatso]
    #11643863 - 12/13/09 04:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

some pictures of my compost.

my main compost pile- I just made it with bricks, its got cow manure, grass clippings, leaves, kitchen scraps, and worm castings in it.

My worm bin, just a regular old rubbermaid container, but I drill holes in the bottom for drainage,

I put it up on bricks for good air flow, they love life.

some harvested castings, I toss some of them along with the worms in my main compost pile, and I use some for my garden/cacti etc.

and for your viewing pleasure some Peruvian torch seedlings coming along nicely,

Its all about being self sufficient. Proper home made compost will be 100% better then the shit they sell in store. The prebagged stuff in store usually isn't fully composted, anaerobically composted, and full of sticks.

Peramculture is a life long hobby that will bring you gifts for years to come.

--------------------
Long live kratom :kratom:

Offlinemellowyellow
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: starting a comPOAST [Re: danielx]
    #11644850 - 12/13/09 07:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

perma farming is even better man taking from the earth what u put and grow there

--------------------

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

#11646427 - 12/13/09 11:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

mellowyellow said:
perma farming is even better man taking from the earth what u put and grow there

You are not contributing to the discussion at all.  Of course there are more environmentally friendly ways to live, but judging from your 199 posts in the week you've been registered, I don't think you're living in some eco-haven.

Danielx, thank you for a good example of what an effective home-sized compost heap is like.  There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread.

--------------------

InvisibleBig L
In tall buildings
 User Gallery

Loc: Luxury
Re: starting a comPOAST *DELETED* [Re: PoC]
    #11646480 - 12/13/09 11:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by Cactusdan

Reason for deletion: Please keep this discussion out of the EG. It belongs in OTD, annon, or privately. End of story.

--------------------

Invisibledanielx
whatup!
 User Gallery

Re: starting a comPOAST [Re: Big L]
    #11646749 - 12/14/09 01:02 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:cheers:

--------------------
Long live kratom :kratom:

Offlinemellowyellow
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: starting a comPOAST *DELETED* [Re: danielx]
    #11647355 - 12/14/09 07:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Reason for deletion: Please keep this discussion out of the EG. It belongs in OTD, annon, or privately. End of story.

--------------------

InvisibleFleadh
Eh No....
Male User Gallery

Re: starting a comPOAST *DELETED* [Re: mellowyellow]
    #11647479 - 12/14/09 08:19 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinemellowyellow
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: starting a comPOAST *DELETED* [Re: Fleadh]
    #11647485 - 12/14/09 08:21 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleFleadh
Eh No....
Male User Gallery

#11647526 - 12/14/09 08:35 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinemellowyellow
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11647540 - 12/14/09 08:39 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #11647613 - 12/14/09 08:59 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

There is a way... Forgot the name of it.But, you keep it cover in a rice bran mixer.....:cool:

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

#11647621 - 12/14/09 09:02 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

InvisibleFleadh
Eh No....
Male User Gallery

Re: starting a comPOAST *DELETED* [Re: theMallacht]
    #11647643 - 12/14/09 09:08 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinemellowyellow
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11647672 - 12/14/09 09:21 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate