Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinelogicalMADNESS
journeyman
Poo Not Colonizing
    #1160318 - 12/21/02 12:40 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

About a week ago i spawn some horse poo with brf cakes. I was told to wait so i did. i think that there should be some growth with in a week, myc. is NOT colonizing the poo at all. Instead, the pieces of myc. that i left on top are becomnig fuzzy. Could anyone give me possible reasons for why my poo is not colonizing. To much water in the poo perhaps?

--------------------
"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music...I get most joy in life out of music."
-Albert Eistein

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Poo Not Colonizing [Re: logicalMADNESS]
    #1160333 - 12/21/02 12:58 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

To much water in the poo perhaps?

Either too much or too little, water content is the biggest problem that I run into when working with poo.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Poo Not Colonizing [Re: Skikid16]
    #1160643 - 12/21/02 03:37 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Yup.

I love the slaughtered Santa. :grin: I wonder how mushies would grow on reindeer shit?  :laugh:  Ho ho ho 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Edited by dog (12/21/02 03:39 PM)

Offlinegoatywoaty
THing of thing

Loc: caught in the storm of en...
    #1161085 - 12/21/02 08:03 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

sometimes with brf cakes ive foudn that they dont take well to casings post flush... were theyh pre or post flushing???

--------------------
[real.eyes.realize.real.lies]
the only reality is the one you make of it, for in the end it becomes what it always was.

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
    #1161132 - 12/21/02 08:40 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

get the whole thing in your clean hands. hold it with your left hand and put your right CLEAN hand against the substrate. Now turn it almost upside down, slowly, and let the water drip out of the casing. Be careful. This way, you take out all exceed water that was on bottom. Repeat again after some hours and perhaps repeat once more. I have saved a too-moist poo casing like that. :smile:

hope u good luck! 

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

OfflinelogicalMADNESS
journeyman
Re: Poo Not Colonizing [Re: kykeon]
    #1161381 - 12/22/02 03:10 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

ok thanks for the advice... i definately think the poo has too much water content. and i spawned the cakes preflush... i think thats what your asking. Its wierd bcus i see no growth other than the little chunks of substrate getting fuzz. lol maybe the myc doesnt like my poo. Im gonna try that straining method. I was thinking about something close to that to dry it out. like i said, thanks

--------------------
"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music...I get most joy in life out of music."
-Albert Eistein

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1161476 - 12/22/02 04:30 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I have found that using a cheese grader on cakes and then mixing with the poo Is much faster then just breaking up the cakes :wink: 

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Anonymous

#1161902 - 12/22/02 08:23 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I know this is overlooked, but this was a problem of mine when growing with poo; make sure that the poo is nice and airy. If it's too thick, then the mycelium can't penetrate it and it will just grow out, not into the poo. So if its too thick, just try different next time, this one cannot be helped unless you dry it out more.

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
Re: Poo Not Colonizing [Re: ]
    #1161922 - 12/22/02 08:52 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

can you smell amonia ? that would tell you if its too wet and thats why your'e mycelium wont eat .it needs oxygen .another way to dry it out would be to turn the whole thing over onto something dry and absorbent like straw .that might also help airate the poo :tongue:

Edited by deanofmean (12/22/02 09:03 AM)

OfflinelogicalMADNESS
journeyman
Re: Poo Not Colonizing [Re: deanofmean]
    #1162601 - 12/22/02 02:19 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Theres no ammonia smell. I made sure of that when i first made the casing. secondly, it might also be too packed as well. But that wouldnt explain why the poo on the top of the casing isnt colonizing the top of the poo. Thirdly, I did use a cheese grater. I grated up 2 and a half cakes. Mixed them through out my casing and then sprinked the last half on top.

--------------------
-Albert Eistein

OfflinelogicalMADNESS
journeyman
    #1162680 - 12/22/02 02:44 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i just used the "squeeze the shit out of your shit" method. With CLEAN hands i scooped out the poo and squeezed out all of the excess what(mined you, there was quite a bit) and then took the pieces of myc on top that were fuzzy and then spawned my poo again with that. I am assuming that all my other myc died from "drowning" in my poo. i gave this a shot bcus i got nothing to lose.

--------------------
-Albert Eistein

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
    #1163222 - 12/22/02 06:07 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Hope the best. I think the myc will soon recover :wink:

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds