Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineboingkster
CuriousCultivator
Male

boingkster's "Minitub" Grow [UPDATED WITH LC PIC]
    #7605622 - 11/07/07 04:39 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Alright, I've decided after a lot of thinking and searching that I'm not going to use a well-established method for my first grow...at least, not one that I could find. I'll be using whole-grain brown rice jars [as per 9er tek], then using monotub tek. The only catch is that I wanted to see if I could use a smaller tub with dimensions of 9 inches cubed as I don't have any use for the amounts people have been saying they get from full-sized monotub grows, seeing as it'll only be limited personal and close-friend consumption. This is the plan for my grow, and I'll be following it and updating with pics as I go.

I've dubbed this technique: "Minitub Tek"

Starting materials:
2 gallon plastic food-storage container
4 x 1/2 pint jars
2 x 1 pint jars
Brown rice
Compressed coir
Syringe + bird feeding attachment
Hand sprayer

Here we go, starting from scratch:

1) Cook the brown rice as usual, using absorbtion method.
2) Fluff the rice using a fork so it becomes light and airy.
3) Fill jars [except one pint jar] with the cooked and fluffed rice, then top with verm as per usual. Replace lids. I'm using one central hole in the lid to inoculate, 2cc's per 1/2 pint jar.
4) Pressure cook or otherwise sterilise the jars.
5) Wait 'til cool and then inoculate with your spores of choice, being careful to flame and alcohol wipe the syringe in between use.
6) Incubate jars as per normal.
7) Knock up an LC jar with spare pint jar if you want.

Several weeks pass...the jars colonise...

7) Divide coir brick into amount required for container [in this case 2 quarts], place into container and pour amount of water required for rehydration in. Use boiling water.
8) Seal the lid and wait until the coir has rehydrated - it will be pastuerised after 2 hours if you use boiling water and leave the lid on. Place into a cooler for the 2 hours to keep the heat up.
9) Wait until cool, then sterilise a spoon with alcohol and spoon the contents of the colonised jars into the container along with the coir. Mix it up well.
10) Whack the lid on and you are pretty much done. Make holes and stuff with polyfill, then duct tape the bottom of the container so you cannot see and coir/myc mic, and you are.

Time passes, you watch and wait...

Finally, the mushrooms are done. Eat at your own pace and enjoy!

Cheers everyone, comments and constructive criticism are both welcomed - boingkster

EDIT: 11/22 - Still no Z-strain from the sponser I ordered from, despite them being posted from their end on 10/25. Either slow mail, or lost mail hey?

--------------------
A Question Never Asked is an Answer Never Given
[Having said that, use the Search button! Teks too!]

Edited by boingkster (11/26/07 04:16 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineboingkster
CuriousCultivator
Male

Re: boingkster's "Minitub" Grow [Re: boingkster]
    #7664546 - 11/21/07 07:26 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Jars sterilised and ready to rock, let cool overnight. Every precaution in my power has been taken to ensure they will be viable. LC and 4 x 1/2 pint jars as well as one whole-pint jar of whole brown rice are ready to get knocked up.

I'll post some pics when mycelium growth starts.

Cheers all - boingkster

EDIT: Strain was R44, courtesy of Funkatron9000. Thanks man!

EDIT2: Pic of my LC jar 5 days after innoc...enlarge for detail

--------------------

Edited by boingkster (11/26/07 04:19 PM)

Offlinegaladar

Loc: in a monotub!
    #7665269 - 11/21/07 11:56 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i got my r44 print too! and im waiting some more on my LC, which has significant growth from print scrapings after 4 days at 80F

Offlineboingkster
CuriousCultivator
Male

Re: boingkster's "Minitub" Grow [Re: galadar]
    #7665604 - 11/22/07 02:43 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Nice, nice. Yeah I have all my various jars in a small rubbermaid with a thermometer inside so I can tell the exact temp. Its hovering around 70-72'F, average-ish room temperature. I'll try and get them at 80'F for fast colonisation, but I don't want my room at that hahaha....

Good to hear about the LC as well - very nice :cool:

Cheers - boingkster

--------------------

Offlineboingkster
CuriousCultivator
Male

#7682472 - 11/26/07 04:18 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

UPDATE: Lc jar is going well, the whole brown rice jars aren't showing any signs of anything yet however. Still, its only 5 days in and the temps have been dropping to 60-ish at night so I'll keep on waiting.

--------------------

Offlinebryanbzl
Spawn Runner
 User Gallery

#7682723 - 11/26/07 05:12 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

what size minitub are you using? I'm currently in the process of spawning to coir in two small minitubs. I would like to here what you have going on a little further :smile:

--------------------
Cheers,

bzl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"From 1898 through to 1910 heroin was marketed as a non-addictive morphine substitute and cough medicine for children."

conclusion:
poor fucking children of the early 1900's.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: boingkster's "Minitub" Grow [Re: bryanbzl]
    #7682737 - 11/26/07 05:16 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Im considering doing a minitub with crumbled cakes just to compare how well they do compared to straight cakes.

I know generaly that cakes should yeild roughly the same as crumbled cakes , but it seems that some people just seemt o get better results from cased substrates.

Theres no reason why a monotub should not work on a smaller scale, as long as you can keep the enviroment humid enough and provide enoug FAE and light :smile:

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinebryanbzl
Spawn Runner
 User Gallery

#7682742 - 11/26/07 05:17 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i just finished pasteurizing my coir aswell... worked niceless. i used half a brick and poored 4 cups of extremely hot water (just under boiling). then i allowed the coir to absorb all of the water and inflate which happened almost immediately. then i squeezed as much water our as i could possibly remove and placed it into a tupperware (with a breathing latch) and put polyfill in the hole(of the breathing latch).then i nuked the tupperware two time (5 minutes each) and now i am letting it sit in a clean garbage bag to cool down.

--------------------
Cheers,

bzl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"From 1898 through to 1910 heroin was marketed as a non-addictive morphine substitute and cough medicine for children."

conclusion:

Offlinebryanbzl
Spawn Runner
 User Gallery

#7682747 - 11/26/07 05:19 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

yea true... although i already posted about a straight crumbled cake into a minitub and apparently it wont hold enough moisture, even cased.thats why i am spawning my crumbled cakes to coir. :thumbup:

--------------------
Cheers,

bzl

conclusion:

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7682755 - 11/26/07 05:21 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Thats a good point, ill keep that in mind when i decide to try it. Getting bored with cakes and want to try something a little different but without having to use grains.

Cakes work well, but they can be a pain to handle sometmes.

--------------------

Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD

Offlinebryanbzl
Spawn Runner
 User Gallery

Re: boingkster's "Minitub" Grow [Re: veda_sticks]
    #7682839 - 11/26/07 05:48 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

yea there impractical space wise... eliminating the need for a humidification tek like perlite really saved time money and space.
this is my very first grow ever and im going to bulk using cakes to coir im so excited you wouldn't even know!

--------------------
Cheers,

bzl

conclusion:

Offlinebryanbzl
Spawn Runner
 User Gallery

#7682844 - 11/26/07 05:50 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Also i am using 2 rubbermade shoe boxes. there 6.1qt each and im doing a double tub.

--------------------
Cheers,

bzl

conclusion:

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: boingkster's "Minitub" Grow [Re: veda_sticks]
    #7683017 - 11/26/07 06:45 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
Thats a good point, ill keep that in mind when i decide to try it. Getting bored with cakes and want to try something a little different but without having to use grains.

Cakes work well, but they can be a pain to handle sometmes.

Make another batch of cakes and use them as spawn for a load of poo. Works a treat.

If you are feeling lazy and don't feel like poohunting, go visit your local nursery and see if they have plain horse manure with no additives. I get mine like that sometimes as it is cheap as hell and saves me the hasstle.

That was before i discovered the 15 foot pile of horse cow and sheep poo just outside my local universities veterinary faculty. :grin:

One day I'm going to take a pic of that pile to show everyone.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Offlineboingkster
CuriousCultivator
Male

Re: boingkster's "Minitub" Grow [Re: Nibin]
    #7683384 - 11/26/07 08:26 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

The "minitub" is about 9" cubed, haha - Its a food-storage bucket in reality that I picked up for cheap. It holds 2 gallons. I'd be using 2-ish quarts of coir/coffee bulk to spawn the finished jars to, which should total 2 pints by the time they're done. So we're talking a 1:2 spawn/bulk ratio! Woo! This thing should go pretty fast - which is my aim. I want a few flushes by NY's, it'd be awesome if that happens.

PS: LC jar has gone ballistic, has like...a thousand little spots of myc in it all looking fluffy and cottony. Heres my LC TEK by the way:

1) Get a jar.
2) Pour some honey in (I used Yellow Box).
3) Pour boiling water in.
4) Whack the lid on.
5) Put cling film over hole in lid.
6) Let cool, trim cling film so its only on the lid.
7) Open lid slightly, scrape spores from print with knife and tap in.
8) Leave somewhere warm.

So many steps, so little effort :amanitajar:

--------------------

Offlinegaladar

Loc: in a monotub!
    #7684095 - 11/27/07 12:03 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

how much honey did you use?

Offlineboingkster
CuriousCultivator
Male

Re: boingkster's "Minitub" Grow [Re: galadar]
    #7684303 - 11/27/07 12:54 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Just a decent squeeze...I'd say a tad over a teaspoon for the jar which was filled 4/5ths from the top.

--------------------

Offlinebryanbzl
Spawn Runner
 User Gallery

#7684635 - 11/27/07 05:48 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

yea my brazilian lc went well... but my panama is still starting to grow about 10ish days later lol. damn crappy panama :confused: im spawning this weekend so ill let you know how it goes.

--------------------
Cheers,

bzl

conclusion:

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7684651 - 11/27/07 05:59 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Poos not allowed in my flat unfortunatly

--------------------

Offlineboingkster
CuriousCultivator
Male

#11625656 - 12/10/09 07:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hi there everyone - long time no see. Sorry about dredging up such an old thread, but this really is relevant. Long story short, the grow originally documented in this thread went south because I couldn't keep the temperature stable, so I'm ready to go again with the same strain of spores. They've been kept in a dark, dry, cool place and should (theoretically) still be viable. If nothing else this will be a lesson in spore storage.

So, I'll be using essentially the same technique as before but with the addition of a heat bomb to keep temperatures stable. It'll be a simple fish-tank heater inside a sealed plastic bottle filled with water - nothing fancy but it'll get the job done. The minitub will be resurrected and a few cultures are going to be prepped over the next few days.

One more difference - I won't be using a jar for the LC, I'll be using a capped glass bottle which will ensure a totally impenetrable, airtight environment.

Cheers all - boingk

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate