Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblefrankenstoen

Hpoo as a substrate for gourmet edibles?
    #11623219 - 12/10/09 12:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I spent a lot of time with the search engine trying to find posts about using horse manure (hpoo) as a substrate for growing gourmet and edible mushrooms. There's not a whole lot of mention on this forum of its use in that respect. I now have access to the output of two horses and I'm looking for a way to transform it into mushrooms. Does anybody out there have any experience or opinions on this?

What mushroom species would hpoo best for? Oysters will eat anything, it seems, and there are a couple of posts referencing growing king oysters on a hpoo substrate. (But is it worth the extra trouble vs. straw or sawdust?) Agaricus is an obvious choice, though the traditional composting seems like an awful lot of work and I am not a big fan of Agaricus. Perhaps King Stropharia? Any other species?

What is the best way to use horse manure?

Most recipes on this site (for P. cubensis) call for mixing the properly aged and moistened hpoo with vermiculite. I am not going to be spending big bucks on bags of vermiculite, so that option is out.

Does hpoo perform better pasteurized or sterilized?

What are the benefits of using hpoo?

What sort of supplements should be added to horse manure? Gypsum? Lime?

Can hpoo be used as a supplement for other substrates such as straw or sawdust? At what ratios?

Is it worth even bothering with the hassles of horse manure when I have access to other substrates such as sawdust and straw? Would hpoo best be used just by throwing it in the garden compost pile and feeding the plants?

Yes, this is a lot of questions, but I thought it might be nice to get all of the information  about horse manure for edibles in one place. I have collected a few lbs. of nicely weathered dung and will be beginning my own tests and trials in the upcoming weeks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Hpoo as a substrate for gourmet edibles? [Re: frankenstoen]
    #11623447 - 12/10/09 01:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

frankenstoen said:
Does hpoo perform better pasteurized or sterilized?

What are the benefits of using hpoo?

What sort of supplements should be added to horse manure? Gypsum? Lime?

Can hpoo be used as a supplement for other substrates such as straw or sawdust? At what ratios?

Is it worth even bothering with the hassles of horse manure when I have access to other substrates such as sawdust and straw? Would hpoo best be used just by throwing it in the garden compost pile and feeding the plants?

1.) Pasteurized

2.) "I now have access to the output of two horses" In your case, access to free substrate.

3.) Gypsum, Lime depending on the species. IIRC Agaricus don't like Lime? Could be wrong about that...

4.) Yes. Because of the consistency of manure many growers use straw. The fibers act like a mycellium highway to penetrate into more dense supstrates. As far as ratios that's up to you. You could use anywhere from 90% manure/10% straw or 90% straw/10% manure

5.) Not really. Not unless your doing something like Agaricus. I don't like manure. It smells.

All that being said, since you also have access to sawdust you could make some sawdust spawn, mix it into the stables and see what happens.

Good luck, and good growing.

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Hpoo as a substrate for gourmet edibles? [Re: frankenstoen]
    #11623488 - 12/10/09 01:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

frankenstoen said:
Would hpoo best be used just by throwing it in the garden compost pile and feeding the plants?

I just reread your last question and noticed it had two parts. Yes, that will make a great fertilizer for your garden. Throw some sawdust spawn in the mix and you'll have a kick ass garden.

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

Offlinegribi
Mushroom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Hpoo as a substrate for gourmet edibles? [Re: fungus_tao]
    #11623903 - 12/10/09 02:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I second fungus_tao's suggestion: use sawdust and make spawn from that, then throw it into manure (perhaps mixed with some straw). I wouldn't recommend using manure on its own as spawn, unless you have nothing else to work with.

--------------------
I am looking for the following edible cultures:
  • Chicken of the woods (Laetiporus sulphureus)
  • Wood blewit (Lepista nuda)
  • Cauliflower (Sparassis crispa)

My trade list of available cultures is in my Journal.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate