Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLuSiD9
reality is plastic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Bowels of Canada
Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty
    #11613180 - 12/08/09 09:33 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

so I came across these links while researching those electronic cigs;

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=5312

Quote:

Apple just laid down the gauntlet with smokers announcing that it won’t honor the warranty on a product that’s been exposed to smoke.

Consumerist on Friday reported that Apple has denied several users repairs under its AppleCare Protection Plan (APP) because the machine had been exposed to smoke.

The first case involved a Mid-2007 MacBook under APP that was brought to the Jordan Creek Apple Store in West Des Moines, Iowa, for overheating. Apple voided the warranty because the computer was used in a house where there was smoking. It also refused to work on the machine due to the “health risks of second hand smoke.”

Another case involved an iMac under APP that Apple refused to work on because it was deemed “contaminated” by tobacco smoke and and considered a “bio-hazard.”

Apparently Nicotine is on OSHA’s list of hazardous and toxic substances (although I couldn’t find it) and Apple will not force an employee to work on anything deemed hazardous to their health because of the obvious legal exposure that could create.

Since Apple doesn’t disclose anything about smoking in the North American terms and condition of the APP, users who were denied coverage should – at minimum – receive a refund of cost of the warranty. Those that have been denied warranty coverage due to exposure to smoke could also sue Apple for not honoring its agreement.

Who’s right in this case?

Apple may refuse to fix your computer if you're a smoker

Apple voids Applecare warranty for smokers!

:dudewtf:

does anyone else find this a little pathetic?

--------------------
Nothing is true, everything is permissible.

Our laws make law impossible; our liberties destroy all freedom; our property is organized robbery; our morality an impudent hypocrisy; our wisdom is administered by inexperienced or mal-experienced dupes; our power wielded by cowards and weaklings; and our honour false in all its points. I am an enemy of the existing order for good reasons.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTripp420
What?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northern Nevada
Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: LuSiD9]
    #11613212 - 12/08/09 09:41 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

yes...
but i have to say...
people have come into the computer repair store i used to work for that really reeked of smoke....
when we opened the case and the entire room smelt of smoke...

did i feel endangered?...
FUCK NO....

--------------------

InvisibleburtonRebel
Male

Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: Tripp420]
    #11613299 - 12/08/09 09:59 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

man, i used to think apple was cool...

--------------------
Wreck yourself before you check yourself

Edited by burtonRebel (12/08/09 10:00 PM)

OfflineLSDaytripper
Believer
Male

Loc: Ohio
Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: burtonRebel]
    #11613361 - 12/08/09 10:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Let people do whatever they want. Everyone fucking knows they can kill you, the media makes sure of it, so if people still choose to smoke 'em let them do so. I don't have problems with banning in public places as long as there are designated places for smokers to go, but refusing them service seems cruel.

--------------------
***** (10:42:46 PM): This is so strange
***** (10:42:53 PM): Becuase I feel that I am very altered
***** (10:42:57 PM): But at the same exact time
***** (10:43:28 PM): I am closer to the real me, the real me who decides who I am, the entire me

OfflineJrea
As seen on T.V.
Female User Gallery

Loc: 303
Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: LSDaytripper]
    #11613405 - 12/08/09 10:20 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

that's shitty but i don't smoke inside anyways, but what would be really shitty is if they refused to help me because I smelled like smoke so they just assumed the product was "contaminated". so whats next? a Breathalyzer before you can purchase an item? fucking monopoly.

--------------------
ツ♥☮impulse☮♥ツ

★☆ one body one mind one soul one life one chance to ʞɔnɟ it all up☆★

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: Jrea]
    #11613532 - 12/08/09 10:47 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jrea said:
that's shitty but i don't smoke inside anyways, but what would be really shitty is if they refused to help me because I smelled like smoke so they just assumed the product was "contaminated". so whats next? a Breathalyzer before you can purchase an item? fucking monopoly.

Monopoly :lol:?  In what way does Apple have a monopoly?

OfflineJrea
As seen on T.V.
Female User Gallery

Loc: 303
Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #11613573 - 12/08/09 10:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Quote:

Jrea said:

Monopoly :lol:?  In what way does Apple have a monopoly?

its almost a monopoly like Microsoft, mostly in the area of digital music devices, do people today realize that a small electronic device that can hold thousands of songs isn't necessarily an ipod? there are other brands? but who the fuck actually buys them?

--------------------
ツ♥☮impulse☮♥ツ

★☆ one body one mind one soul one life one chance to ʞɔnɟ it all up☆★

OfflineWW27HF
Surrender To The Flow
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #11613900 - 12/08/09 11:47 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jrea said:
do people today realize that a small electronic device that can hold thousands of songs isn't necessarily an ipod? there are other brands?
but who the fuck actually buys them?

Intelligent people who don't waste money on fad brand names.

--------------------
Time flies when you're growing fung.

OfflineTripp420
What?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northern Nevada
Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: WW27HF]
    #11613921 - 12/08/09 11:50 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

WW27HF said:
Quote:

Jrea said:
do people today realize that a small electronic device that can hold thousands of songs isn't necessarily an ipod? there are other brands?

qft....

--------------------

OfflineLuSiD9
reality is plastic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11614048 - 12/09/09 12:16 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Jrea said:
do people today realize that a small electronic device that can hold thousands of songs isn't necessarily an ipod? there are other brands? but who the fuck actually buys them?

I do :shrug:

--------------------

Our laws make law impossible; our liberties destroy all freedom; our property is organized robbery; our morality an impudent hypocrisy; our wisdom is administered by inexperienced or mal-experienced dupes; our power wielded by cowards and weaklings; and our honour false in all its points. I am an enemy of the existing order for good reasons.

Offlinedispizeme

Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: LuSiD9]
    #11614129 - 12/09/09 12:36 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I bought an 8gb nano for 30 bucks from my buddy who got a touch a couple days ago. However I would never buy one retail.

InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: dispizeme]
    #11614185 - 12/09/09 12:46 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Bring me Steve Jobs. I shall carve out his eyesockets, cram them full of ginger, and defecate upon his smarmy fucking face.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

OfflineLuSiD9
reality is plastic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #11614383 - 12/09/09 01:41 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

:awebig:

--------------------

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: WW27HF]
    #11614408 - 12/09/09 01:50 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

WW27HF said:
Quote:

Jrea said:

iPods are pretty awesome though.  It's not like they don't make a good product, although they are assholes about some things, and it is overpriced.

Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #11614636 - 12/09/09 03:04 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Um I have worked at several PC repair shops and it is seriously disgusting working on a smokers computer. We have refused service to a few computers because of it. I can see why it could be so harmful to your lungs. I think that apple is smart to do this. It's not like they are gonna turn you away if you're computer is clean. It is probably just so that they have the right to refuse service to computers that are filthy with tar.

--------------------

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: audiophoenix]
    #11614953 - 12/09/09 05:50 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

audiophoenix said:
Um I have worked at several PC repair shops and it is seriously disgusting working on a smokers computer. We have refused service to a few computers because of it. I can see why it could be so harmful to your lungs. I think that apple is smart to do this. It's not like they are gonna turn you away if you're computer is clean. It is probably just so that they have the right to refuse service to computers that are filthy with tar.

Could you actually see/feel tar inside the computer?

I have yet to see/handle another mp3 player or laptop that's as well-designed as Apple's are.  Sure, Dells are cheap, but they look and feel like trash.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: audiophoenix]
    #11614961 - 12/09/09 05:53 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

> Um I have worked at several PC repair shops and it is seriously disgusting working on a smokers computer.

Yep.  It isn't the smell of smoke that is the problem, but rather there is a layer of nasty gummy tar like crap coating the inside.  I don't know about health hazards, but the tar turns dust into mud.  From a thermal standpoint, I can definitely see how this would cause problems and should not be covered under the warranty.

> It is probably just so that they have the right to refuse service to computers that are filthy with tar.

That is what I suspect as well.  Not all computers owned by smokers are filthy.  The nasty ones are the rare case, not the norm.  However, the bad ones are really bad: yellowed plastics, brittle connectors, sticky surfaces, caked in a cement like mud.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleDango_Bill
Seven
Female User Gallery

Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: Seuss]
    #11615361 - 12/09/09 08:24 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Um I have worked at several PC repair shops and it is seriously disgusting working on a smokers computer.

Yep.  It isn't the smell of smoke that is the problem, but rather there is a layer of nasty gummy tar like crap coating the inside.  I don't know about health hazards, but the tar turns dust into mud.  From a thermal standpoint, I can definitely see how this would cause problems and should not be covered under the warranty.

I also work in a computer repair shop... I was about to say the exact same thing. The insides of computers that people smoke around are DISGUSTING and covered in sticky yellow shit, which effectively glues the dust particles to the insides.

I am behind Apple 100% on this, and I believe every other computer manufacturer would do well to follow suit.

OfflineBrandNoob
The REALAmerican Hero!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Potland, OR
Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: Dango_Bill]
    #11615464 - 12/09/09 08:50 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You know what else is inside those computers? Electronics parts made with lead, mercury, hexavalent chrome(chromium (VI)) and cadmium, brominated flame retardants (BFRs), polybrominated biphenyls (PBBs), polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs),
hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD) and tetrabromobisphenol A (TBBPA), PVC (polyvinyl chloride).  Touching a motherboard with nicotine on it is no more dangerous than touching a motherboard with nothing on it.  They are discriminating, plain and simple. 

Though build-up of smoke tar particles could theoretically cause a short, or gum up a moving part, or block out a laser or something, I guess.  Good thing I don't use their products, and only smoke weed.

--------------------
All posts were channeled through the user by typing the thoughts of telepathic beings.  All photos are of paranormal origin and do not represent the physical world, as we know it.  BrandNoob shall not be held accountable for the actions of deceased or hyperdimensional individuals.

Offlinesmokescreen
80's Transformer
Male User Gallery

Loc: north carolina
Re: Apple to smokers: butt out or void your warranty [Re: BrandNoob]
    #11615716 - 12/09/09 09:49 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNoob said:
You know what else is inside those computers? Electronics parts made with lead, mercury, hexavalent chrome(chromium (VI)) and cadmium, brominated flame retardants (BFRs), polybrominated biphenyls (PBBs), polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs),
hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD) and tetrabromobisphenol A (TBBPA), PVC (polyvinyl chloride).  Touching a motherboard with nicotine on it is no more dangerous than touching a motherboard with nothing on it.  They are discriminating, plain and simple. 

Though build-up of smoke tar particles could theoretically cause a short, or gum up a moving part, or block out a laser or something, I guess.  Good thing I don't use their products, and only smoke weed.

I've gotta agree here somewhat.  Most of these chemicals are contained within the parts of the machine, where as the tobacco tar coats everything aided by the cooling fan.  I grew up in a smoking household and even smoked cig's myself for some years.  Filthy habbit indeed.  Cannabis tar is pretty gross too if it's smoked in the same room all the time. (not to mention cleaning out an old bowl).  Having said that people scoff at the smell of tobacco, grin at the whiff of cannabis smoke:stoned:

--------------------
:ganja: "Let's get together and feel alright" :ganja:                  :cubie: :mushroom2::tripping:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale