Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
Ascorbic Acid, Preservation, Drying, and a lump
    #1159281 - 12/20/02 11:34 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I cannot find it now, but I rmember reading something about somehow treating fresh mushrooms with an ascorbic acid-based product (used in fruit drying/canning) before drying the shrooms with a fan, or dehydrator.

Anyone got a clue on this one? Supposedly, the ascorbic acid is an antioxident, which helps to keep the nice chems in the mushroom from oxidizing, and therefore loosing potency, it also helps keep the shrroms from turning dark blue/black when dried (Meaning that the good chems in shrooms havnt been oxidized, and therefor lost or lost potency)

At least this is what I seem to remember from what I read. But I also seem to remember something about using ascorbic acid to extract the chems from the schrooms.

Also if I hooooowooowoowoowoooooooooloploopyloopyloopy whhhopooowoowooowoooookabookabookabookaboo a whole bunch, does that mean that my gweeeeeooooogweeeeeoooooghghghghghghhgreeeeiiiiirrrrooooooooPOP is still not re-uptaking the chhhhuuuuuugggoooooogah chhhchhhchhhhuuugggoooooooGAH!?

I need an answer fast, because I think the neighbors are calling animal control, and I seem to have glued this costume on me somehow.

Please respond.

Please?

I love you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Ascorbic Acid, Preservation, Drying, and a lump [Re: KingCobWeb]
    #1159293 - 12/21/02 12:09 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

ascorbic acid = vitamin C

OfflineMycroGuy
Cool Guy
Re: Ascorbic Acid, Preservation, Drying, and a lump [Re: zeta]
    #1159349 - 12/21/02 01:25 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i have yet to hear of anything that can preserve potenct, as well as extract potency. any clue where you read this?

--------------------
If you cant beat them, join them, then beat them!

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
Re: Ascorbic Acid, Preservation, Drying, and a lump [Re: MycroGuy]
    #1161250 - 12/21/02 11:42 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I cant remember where I read this, I thought it was on this forum, but a search didnt turn it up. What was that other myco forum? Mybe it was there?

When making cranberry juice extract, what is the ascorbic acid used for? Is it to help extract the psylocibin? Or to help keep it from oxidizing, and thus loosing potency?

I hope one of the really smart people on this forum could answer...I know theres some real pros here that know chemistry and such.

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
    #1166130 - 12/24/02 01:43 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

What was the URL for that other mycology website? I want to read up some more on this ascorbic acid and drying thing....I am thinking it works to keep fresh mushies fresher a bit longer, and helps to preserve the good chems as they dry.

But dont take my word for it, we need to find some better info as I am sure that someone has walked this path before.

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
    #1166154 - 12/24/02 01:59 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

This is common practice with my friend.He always crushes up a vitamin C tablet in water and rinses his fresh shrooms with it before drying.Prevents oxidation.

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
    #1168199 - 12/24/02 04:45 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

OK, I finally found where I think I got this idea from, here is the link:
http://www.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/2/18024.html?#POST76679 Ascorbic Acid was used during the later end of the watering process

Now what i am thinking is adapting this to use on freshly picked fruits, by making an ascorbic acid/water solution, and soaking the fruits in it for a time (1 hour? 30 minutes?) to help keep them fresh, keep the good chems from oxidizing, and basically keep them from turning blue.

I am also thinking that during drying of the fruits, if they are treated with the ascorbic acid, then they wont loose as much of the good chems to oxidization.

ANy thoughts or comments on this?

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
    #1212959 - 01/12/03 08:15 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

SO far this method orks very well. No complaints from anyone who has tried these fruits.
I use a product I find in grocery stores its called something like "Fuit Fresh", it is Ascorbic acid.
I put several big spoonfulls in a gollon container, and soak the fresh picked fruits in that for an hour or so before laying them out to dry.

It keeps fresh 'wet' fruits fresher for longer (Still should be refrigerated) and they dont go yucky as quickly.
And when I dry the fruits, they dont turn dark blue, they retain potency better, and they look a bit better.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract