Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Sex and media.
    #1161141 - 12/21/02 10:50 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Frank depiction of explicit sex in popular media. Is it wrong, and if so, why?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Sex and media. [Re: Phluck]
    #1161164 - 12/21/02 11:28 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If anything it's kinda cheesy...

OfflineGoBlue!
Tool Rules - DBK

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
    #1161208 - 12/22/02 12:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Are you talking about nudity? Do you mean the type of sex we already see on tv? Or do you mean XXX sex???

--------------------
:smile:  Just stating my thoughts, not trying to offend  :smile:

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #1161249 - 12/22/02 01:41 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Is it wrong? No. Is it exploitive? Quite.

--------------------

OfflineGoBlue!
Tool Rules - DBK

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Sex and media. [Re: Revelation]
    #1161263 - 12/22/02 02:23 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

ex?ploit
1) To employ to the greatest possible advantage
2) To make use of selfishly or unethically

Why would you believe actors/actresses involved in sex scenes are taken advantage of more than other actors/actresses? Especially if they are willing participants (which they are, since nobody is forced to act)?

--------------------
:smile:  Just stating my thoughts, not trying to offend  :smile:

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

Re: Sex and media. [Re: GoBlue!]
    #1161269 - 12/22/02 02:43 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think that Rev meant that the subjects and objects of exploitation are the actors.

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
    #1161390 - 12/22/02 05:20 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

as a generalization, all i can say is sometimes yes and sometimes no. i suppose we'd have to use our discretion on each particular depiction, wouldn't we?

in the last few months, as a miniature business, i've enjoyed turning a few bucks by taking erotic pictures for people. i have to gel with them or i won't do it, the pictures wouldn't turn out right if i didn't like the person. if they do decide to send the photographs (which are for their personal use) to a popular magazine that they enjoy, and they're featured, i think that's great. i think it can be liberating for everyone, it's a fun, creative profession that brings the out-going side of me out. i'd even consider photography on a larger scale, if i do move out of ohio to san francisco or berkeley, as i've been considering. peace/cj

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1161576 - 12/22/02 07:23 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Is it exploitative because it uses natural human desires to draw attention to it?

Because it's a natural human response to enjoy looking at a beautiful landscape as well. Is it exploitative to use that? Is it exploitative to make a documentary about the second world war as opposed to the stock market because people will find that more interesting?

I mean depicting sex as a whole. The US is notoriously prudish when it comes to its popular media. It's the only first world country I can think of that has a problem with showing naked breasts on primetime television.

Do you have any problem with naked breasts on television? What about a naked penis?

Is there any harm that can be caused simply by portraying nudity?

What about portraying sex?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#1161649 - 12/22/02 07:55 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Portayal of sex and nudity is a good thing. America's fear of portraying sex and nudity is what is probably most harmful. Sex is a core desire of humans, there is nothing wrong with it.

Children viewing sexual images? I don't think its harmful at all. Maybe in a society where "sex is bad" is it harmful, but were our society to treat sex with the respect and freedom is deserves, all would be better!

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1161702 - 12/22/02 08:24 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It's the only first world country I can think of that has a problem with showing naked breasts on primetime television.

Only naked WHITE breasts. They had no problem on prime time showing topless African women on the excellent mini-series "Shaka Zulu" (or was it Chakra Zulu :grin:, but I digress...) from the late 80s I believe.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offline3eyedgod
trippinkid

Loc: Far away and very near
Re: Sex and media. [Re: GoBlue!]
    #1162207 - 12/22/02 01:32 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Without everything wouldn't nothing be everything and without nothing wouldn't everything be nothing.I am the beginning and the end,the source and the void, the light and the darkness,i am but a small drop of the ocean yet i am an ocean unto myself

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #1162216 - 12/22/02 01:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Because it's a natural human response to enjoy looking at a beautiful landscape as well. Is it exploitative to use that?

Yes. Because the motivation is something other than to allow others to have this natural human response.

--------------------

Offlinehighwayman
long hair, butno hippie

Re: Sex and media. [Re: Swami]
    #1162224 - 12/22/02 01:43 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Only naked WHITE breasts. They had no problem on prime time showing topless African women on the excellent mini-series "Shaka Zulu" (or was it Chakra Zulu , but I digress...) from the late 80s I believe.

Well, I seem to recall full frontal nudity (male and female) and a short sex scene in the mini-series "I Claudius", both white. Thank heaven for PBS. So maybe it's only mini series that get special treatment.  :wink: 

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #1162429 - 12/22/02 03:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I think it's making girls go into puberty at earlier and earlier ages.....which I don't think is so good...... :crazy:

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Sex and media. [Re: upupup]
    #1163271 - 12/22/02 08:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

There's no evidence that I know of to suggest that the media is causing the lower ages for puberty. What do you base this theory on?

--------------------

OnlinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #1163306 - 12/22/02 08:56 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'd have to agree with Rev:
"Because the motivation is something other than to allow others to have this natural human response"
If the media would portray sex as something inherently beautiful instead of using it as a cheap lure to entice people to buy a product or as shock value to attract attention, I believe many people wouldn't be so confused.  I'm having a hard time gettin' out what I wanted to say here... but it all has to do with intention.  I find the media is becoming increasingly exploitive as the years go on.  But that's what the media is all about, $ales. 

I am by no means saying that sex should be censored, I just think that the societal image of sex is skewed and the media isn't helping any :tongue:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Anonymous

#1163333 - 12/22/02 09:10 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'm curious. Is it your contention that there is nothing wrong with it?

Frank depiction of explicit violence in popular media. Is it wrong, and if so, why?

Your turn.

Offlineupupup
guardian

#1164081 - 12/23/02 07:47 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

several different things both of which I don't have on hand but will do some checking and repost here.

Part of my information comes from a major news periodical which was talking about how WORLD WIDE girls are going into puberty at earlier and earlier ages. It seems to be happening in America mostly to african-american girls. The article said they thought it was do to several different possibilites though it's all speculation. It said that the high use of sexual images that are constantly being bombarded at everybody from the media might be causing the brain to be stimulated to produce hormones related to sexual organ and further hormonal releases causing the girls to start puberty sooner. They also suspect the overuse of steroids in such things as meat and milk to potentially be causing the increase.

The first thing I heard on it though was a report released by the World Health Organization that talked about the same thing as well though I remeber that it said the highest indidence of this occurance was happening in the orient where the use of agricultural chemicals and hormones has little if any oversight....

BUT....my eyes told me so when my daughter started to get pubic hair and armpit hair when she was 7. I asked several physicians about this and they remarked that they have been seeing such things more often......

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Sex and media. [Re: upupup]
    #1164125 - 12/23/02 08:05 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I've heard quite a bit about this as well, and it seems fairly unlikely that children being bombarded with sexual images is causing this. Is there a higher rate of it in europe where sex is less of a taboo?

Violence is a bit of a different issue. First off, I'd have to say that I don't think that violence in the media is significantly contributing to actual violence in society. There always has been violence, and it is not on the rise (despite what some people seem to believe). I definately don't think we should be censoring violence in the media, with the exception of children's programming. Exposing young children to shocking violence will certainly disturb them. Sexuality will not.

--------------------

Offlineupupup
guardian

#1164180 - 12/23/02 08:22 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology