Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
On the subject of metal(music) and tripping....
    #1160906 - 12/21/02 06:01 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I know most of yas here are into the stereotypical floyd/techno/jam band stuff for tunes while tripping, which I too have given a try in the past and likely will continue to do in the future, but IMO none of it I've heard (which is a fair amount contrary to what most will probably think. I have an extremely varied taste when it comes to music.) comes even remotely close to listening to something like Opeth's Still Life, Blackwater Park or Morningrise on a good dose. I love how they mix heavy music/extreme vocals and classical/jazzy/folky acoustic parts with clean vocs. It's all about the dynamics.  You probly wont dig their music if you just like to listen to upbeat, happy music, which is great sometimes, but there's much more to music than that. Also if you're one of those who can't fathom listening to something when you can't understand all the lyrics you probably won't like a lot of it. I've never been much of one to listen to lyrics anywho though, always been more interested in the music going on behind them, and that's where bands like Opeth shine, even though Opeth's vocalist in particular has one of the best clean(singing, not growling) voices I know of in any genre of music.  I'm just mentioning Opeth so much here because they're the band I've been listening to most lately and a perfect example of how metal isn't just power chords and screaming/growling about satan or being pissed-off off key.  But they are by no means the only example of this (suggestions are welcome :smile: )....

I find it somewhat puzzling/depressing that many of the music suggestions I read in here say to stay away from metal at all costs while tripping. Sure, deicide, slayer or cannibal corpse are probably not the greatest idea for music to trip to and best left for pissed off teenagers, but there is some well produced, thoughtful, excellently played metal (Opeth, Novembre, In Flames) out there that makes great listening during a trip. I know metal isn't for everyone and many of you that post in this forum have given great (mostly non-metal) music suggestions in the past, so don't think I'm just some moron trying to say what I listen to most often is the best. I guess I'm just suggesting that some of you (no one in particular, though mainly the metal bashers :smile: ) widen your horizons a bit, and try listening to stuff that everyone and his brother (or sister :smile: ) doesn't listen to when tripping, heh. You might be surprised....

Damn, I guess I'm in the mood to babble tonight, this is probably my longest post ever, I don't know exactly what sparked it, it started as a reply to another thread then I just figured I'd make a new post cause I thought it needed said.  You can blame it on the boredom and lack of smokeables :confused:.  I'll shut up now :laugh: . Peace....

DH           

Edited by DethHed (12/21/02 06:09 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping.... [Re: spores]
    #1160976 - 12/21/02 06:26 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

TOOL
TOOL
TOOL
TOOL
TOOL
TOOL
TOOL
TOOL

:grin:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Edited by Murex (12/21/02 06:26 PM)

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping.... [Re: Murex]
    #1161136 - 12/21/02 08:47 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Both!
Plus NIN

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping... [Re: spores]
    #1161163 - 12/21/02 09:25 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Damn right. The right kind of metal can be pure bliss to endure on trips. I decided to experiment a while back with some music I wouldn't normally listen to on acid. Devin Townsend - Terria blew me away. I mean COMPLETLY. I was glued to the fucking couch the entire length of the album. The kind of metal Dev plays is soundscaped, epic and thoughtful/emotion metal. Sometimes I like a bit of intensity in my trips. And of course, Tool are a great choice for trips, along with Fantomas, White Zombie, Deftones, Earthtone 9, Mudvayne, Mr Bungle.
In fact, I recall listening to some of Dusk and Her Embrace by Cradle of Filth on my first trip. It actually made me grin my fucking ass off!  :grin: 

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping... [Re: Sheepish]
    #1161883 - 12/22/02 08:13 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I grew up on acid and metal. Metallica was still cool (sorry I was the metallica generation and everything up th justice for all fuckin rocks). I didn't mind a little Slayer south of heaven on a. Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime has long been a fav trippin or not. I know it isn't realy metal but...

Anyway, I hear ya

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1162171 - 12/22/02 11:00 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I think the music you most enjoy while tripping is simply the music you most enjoy while sober!  I don't understand why a person would say something like "stay away from metal at all costs while tripping" or that same sort of thing about any genre, for that matter.  Is it because they don't like metal?

Just because one person doesn't like something doesn't mean another won't derive great pleasure from it.  Stick to what you like!  :laugh:

--------------------
Namaste.

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

Loc: Under the sea
    #1162443 - 12/22/02 01:24 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

You want an interesting trip? Try Melt Banana.

On the techno side try Dark Soho kind of a mix between dark gothic and psytrance.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #1162698 - 12/22/02 02:52 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Opeth is good music. I love metal for its technical guitar playing, but I don't much care for the screaming monotone lyrics. Some of my favorite songs by them include:
- Patterns in the Ivy
- Requiem
- Benighted

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping.... [Re: geokills]
    #1162791 - 12/22/02 03:34 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Indeed, those are good ones geo.  Check out To Bid You Farewell and Face of Melinda if you haven't already, those are a couple more of their mellow songs.  Good chill music to kick back, relax and toast some bowls to :smile: .  Also A Fair Judgement off of their new album is another one like that.  I d/l'ed some devin townsend tracks today, haven't really listened to them yet, but I've read some good reviews about his albums, so I'm hopeful :smile: .  I knew Tool would come up in here, but honestly I don't really like what I've heard from them.  The last I heard of them was listening to Aenima right after it came out though, I might have to check out some of their newer stuff, it seems like they're pretty much in the "everyone and his brother" category, but I guess they could be worth a listen still :smirk:....  I'll give em another try I suppose.  Thanks for the suggestions :smile: .

DH 

Edited by DethHed (12/22/02 03:43 PM)

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #1165154 - 12/23/02 01:28 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Tool - Lateralus is one of my definite all time fav trip albums. It's more psychedlic than their other albums, and a bit more spiritual. Some of the lyrics can actually fit into a psychedelic experience pretty well. :grin:
Ahhh, Devin. My fav albums by him are Terria and Biomech/Ocean Machine, plus his other band Strapping Young Lad rules! :smile: 

Offlineroygbiv
zipperist

Loc: space is the place...
    #1165495 - 12/23/02 04:39 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i agree about the dynamics. right on... if you dig that kind of melding, check out the cancer conspiracy theyre right up your alley... for more droning noise/metal you might like isis or early cave-in, and a fair amount of stuff on the hydrahead label out of boston is really killer... meshuggah for pounding, grinding deathmetal. some of modestmouse's heavier stuff rocks too... something about the vibrations and the bass of metal makes it great to listen to on psychedelics. id rather rock out and feel empowered than skip around on a fieldoffuckingdaisies... but its all got its place in different trips. loop and i once listened to this weird cd of faux imitation hybrid50s/70s pop shit that literally sounded like blandwallpaper, but we were in absolute stitches trying to reason out how ANYBODY would want to be in a band that played this trash. but after a great trip, we realized it was for guys like us hahahahaha

roy

OfflineSmirk
Smirk King

Loc: Trancelvania, Florida
    #1165501 - 12/23/02 04:42 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

xcuse me ... just trying to figure out how to get my picture in ( avatar )
AND IT"S FINALLY WORKING - YEAY!!!
Thanks,
cheers

Edited by Smirk (12/23/02 04:48 PM)

Offlinenoth1ng
Stranger
    #1168863 - 12/25/02 03:19 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i ate up some acid one time and set in the complete darkness, by myself, listening to In Flames - Live in Japan cd.....it made me...evil. TooL is fantastic, period--> .

OfflineHugh_Jass
pantydealer
Loc: Northern Ireland
Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping.... [Re: noth1ng]
    #1169706 - 12/25/02 12:42 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

"Imaginary Sonicscape" by SIGH.... just amazing, it's an album you all really have to check out. 80's thrash, prog, classical, jazz, disco, horror film scores, it's all in there and more. It just jumps from place to place so much, perfect for tripping, this album gave me some awesome visuals while tripping.

Offlineroygbiv
zipperist

Loc: space is the place...
Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping... [Re: Hugh_Jass]
    #1170224 - 12/25/02 04:53 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i agree hugh... sigh is incredible... do you get into arab strap or mogwai at all? theyre from yr neckofthewoods, if yr serious... if not check them out...

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping... [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1170530 - 12/25/02 09:04 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

and justice for all, Fucking Rocks!

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping... [Re: PDU]
    #1171494 - 12/26/02 12:31 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Yes it does, but I haven't listened to Metallica for a while.

NIN and Dark Soho are both awesome!

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflinetRIPtOtHEeND
1000 year olddrum God
Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping... [Re: Murex]
    #1172859 - 12/27/02 12:47 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i don't know if you consider Tool metal, but i listened to salival while peaking on 4g and it was unbelievable, especially third eye and merkaba.

OfflineBob_J
Spaced outRabbit

Loc: alberta canada
    #1172980 - 12/27/02 03:35 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

anybody listened to Kittie before. she has a good voice that is constantly changing from emotions....or so i think im not im baked at the moment.....and its only 9:30am here ha ha ha

--------------------

"With insomnia your never really asleep, and your never really awake"

OfflineAcursedRedDragon
Legacy ofBrutality
Loc: Opium Den
    #1178398 - 12/29/02 08:58 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I listen to alot of trance/breakbeats but sometimes I put on some metal/punk

Try these:

Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, MISFITS, Dark Tranquility, Demons & Wizards and maybe some Darkthrone or Emperor...

Edited by AcursedRedDragon (12/29/02 09:00 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1178417 - 12/29/02 09:25 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Wow I can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier.

Some of my favorite tripping metal music:

Opeth (of course absolutely)
In Flames
Iced Earth
Nevermore
Borknagar
Death (yes Death, try some newer old stuff..like Symbolic..human.. individual thought patterns)
Dream Theater (Although not entirely metal..very good shit..think metropolis part 1)
Iron Maiden (classic)
Blind Guardian
Helstar
Cacophony
Carcass

Glad you enjoy Opeth. They are my favorite band. I have had many an opeth trip whilst on mushrooms.. let me tell you.. try it in the forest... you will not regret it.

Oh and I can't forget Rush.. I listened to Hemispheres once after I took some geltabs and just sat in my room for 8 hours listening to it on repeat.... went through the folds of time and space and beyond..

Also had quit an interesting Nevermore (Polotics of ecstacy) guided acid trip.
Another notable insane night was a night of lsd, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, and Sepultura. Beautiful and very intense night in the woods with a fire. The music made it twenty times as intense.

Opeth is very good on mushrooms. I once had an OOBE while listening to Orchid lying on my bed during the onset of a trip.

Heh... I used to have this thing when we would trip on acid.. where right around the peak and it was usually real late at night.. to turn off all the lights and put on Call of Ktulu by you know who.. at ultra loud levels and just let it take you away...

--------------------

Edited by Shroomism (12/29/02 09:34 PM)

Offlinemorbydvisns
Stranger
Loc: dallas, tx
Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping.... [Re: Shroomism]
    #1179610 - 12/30/02 09:29 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I love some Nile, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, etc when im shroomin. the black metal is cool stuff too.. Emperor, Hypocrisy, Etc.

InvisibleUndying Indigo
Challenger
Male

Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping.... [Re: morbydvisns]
    #14229683 - 04/03/11 02:17 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

First post... :} Can't wait for my first mushroom trip... I've always listened to heavy music (for the most part) whenever I've tripped on anything else. Glad to hear that my preferred style of music in general will fit into the mushroom experience as well. If anyone that likes metal with their mushrooms cares to check them out, try out one of my favorite bands, Sybreed. Fucking BEAUTIFUL industrial metal, real thick and groovy shit, with lots of electronic sounds injected into it... Really good shit when you're sober, drunk, high, tripping, whatever (in my opinion). I love me some Sybreed... Soilwork is a bit more thrashy, but also a great. Also, if you like Tool, I'm sure you've heard of A Perfect Circle... An equally sublime band fronted by MJK of Tool, but he also has another band called Puscifer... Fucking amazing shit, difficult to describe it, give it a listen sometime if you'd like.

OfflineDr.Knotts Pinning
Fungiphile
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Mental Ward
Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping.... [Re: Undying Indigo]
    #14260504 - 04/08/11 08:15 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

tool is the best when your tripping
between the burried and me is cool tripping too

--------------------
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines
:mjk: :mjk1: :mjk2:

OfflineKeiXOmega
Alchemist
Male

Loc: Australia
Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping.... [Re: Dr.Knotts Pinning]
    #14270889 - 04/11/11 06:56 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I find prog metal great for trips.
Especially Dream Theatre, and the way they combine there genres of classical, prog and metal while having such a dynamic control over everything seems to work perfectly. Of course will all music there is some you wouldnt wanna listen to while tripping. But at the same time, you dont want something to complex cause it could effect you in someway maybe.

--------------------
"The truth is nothing more then a lie that dwells inside of a greater truth"
"Nothing is true. Everything is permitted"
"All is One. One is All"

Invisibleatomicshaman
puppet master
Trans-female User Gallery

Loc: germany Flag
Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping.... [Re: Dr.Knotts Pinning]
    #14281832 - 04/13/11 01:15 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i cant usually deal with metal when on a shroom ride , did it once to tool's salvia or saliva cd . had my first intense visuals come on during the first song . priceless .

--------------------
I only do legal drugs like alcohol , tobacco and valium so fuck off and die :goat:

:

Edited by atomicshaman (04/13/11 01:16 AM)

Invisiblekabuki.mono
Philosopher of Stones

Re: On the subject of metal(music) and tripping.... [Re: atomicshaman]
    #14523447 - 05/27/11 08:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Eths is intense for tripping, her voice takes you to another world. Static X, Mudvayne, Meshuggah, Deftones, Sikth, Tool, Perfect Circle So many so many I could spend a lifetime writing names. If you like metal there all wonderful for any occasion, specially tripping :laugh:

--------------------
"Life is like animal porn, it's not for everyone."

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder