Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

unconstant incubating temps
    #1160545 - 12/21/02 04:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ok, my incubator sucks ass. it gets cold here at night, so i got a heating pad. put it under the incubator. it would keep the bottom of the jars warm, but the tops were still cold. so i figured i needed insulation. i taped a thick shirt around the incubator covering all the sides. when i woke up the other day, the temp was at 95!!! damn insulation!!!

so i figured out the best way to keep temps, but they may range from 60-90 degrees fareinheight in one day. will this kill the mycelium, or just make it slower?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefunkymonk
Get's down, withthe get-down.
 User Gallery

Loc: saskatchewan
Re: unconstant incubating temps [Re: Anonymous]
    #1160564 - 12/21/02 05:04 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I don't know i havent innoculated yet (still waiting for spores) But it made sense to me once I found out i was getting spres to read as much as i could until i understood everything...Then I built my incubator/fruiting chamber, and am now just gettting it at the temp and humidity levels it needs to be...Now i gotta figure out how to keep it at those levels....i think by doing this BEFORE i get my spores I have a huge advantage as the setup trial and error part is over....well hopefulyy

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1160602 - 12/21/02 05:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Those kinds of temperature fluctuations will not kill the mycelium but it will certainly slow colonization. The higher temperatures might even favor contams.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineFuman
Tao of Shrooms

Loc: Further
    #1160831 - 12/21/02 07:19 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I have gone to using a large double insulated cooler and a fish tank thermometer in a jar. I don't remember where I saw the picture of it. It maintains a consistent temp (low 80's) and is immune to changes in temp inside my house which fluctuate a lot.

--------------------
No, I do not think I am above the law. There are times; inspired and enraptured that I feel I am BEYOND the law.

Anonymous

#1162303 - 12/22/02 02:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

funkymonk, thanks for assuming im an uninformed idiot. i did read, and know what i was doing. my first grow was this fall, and the temps were ok, now that winters here, the temps are fucking up. (unforeseen obstacles cant be hurdled before they are seen)

dog, thanks for the answer i was looking for

sporeshur, thanks for the info

InvisibleChibboleth
    #1162595 - 12/22/02 04:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I like to use two rubbermaid storage containers, one nested inside the other. you fill the bottom one partway with water and put a submersible aquarium heater in it. This allows you a much greater degree of temperature control than you can achieve with a three-setting heat pad.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation