Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinegreenspectral
Gutter Monk
Male

Loc: Chonyid
Re: Any martial artists - advice? [Re: druqs]
    #11603471 - 12/07/09 03:38 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

the kung fu is your answer my friend. it surpasses the majority of martial arts in mental focus and spiritual advancement, and imo has the propensity to develop in its devotees some of the most lethal strikes.

--------------------
http://soundcloud.com/greenspectralĀ ;  <---original electrik muziq

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Onlinedruqs
ALKALOIDOHOLIC
 User Gallery

Re: Any martial artists - advice? [Re: deCypher]
    #11603486 - 12/07/09 03:40 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
LOL, that I would like to see.

me too

#

Offlinedkamp18
The Real World

Re: Any martial artists - advice? [Re: greenspectral]
    #11603504 - 12/07/09 03:43 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

greenspectral said:
the kung fu is your answer my friend. it surpasses the majority of martial arts in mental focus and spiritual advancement, and imo has the propensity to develop in its devotees some of the most lethal strikes.

i disagree, from an experienced perspective i think that if you are going to devote that kind of time to kung fu you will gain much more propensity for lethal strikes through the study of ninjutsu(ninpo)

Offlinedkamp18
The Real World

#11603532 - 12/07/09 03:45 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mycelismymind said:
Quote:

deCypher said:
LOL, that I would like to see.

me too

#

how would you practice that move?

i guess, there is no trial and error lol

Onlinedruqs
ALKALOIDOHOLIC
 User Gallery

Re: Any martial artists - advice? [Re: dkamp18]
    #11603579 - 12/07/09 03:51 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

start with shooting grapes, then move on to bullets

InvisibleGrizvok
I Yam what I Yam
Male User Gallery

#11603593 - 12/07/09 03:53 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Judo. Hands down.

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in Flag
Re: Any martial artists - advice? [Re: mtichael]
    #11603767 - 12/07/09 04:13 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mtichael said:
tai chi and yoga and dance

is all you need

QFT!

i think you nailed the nail on the head!

there's enough to learn in a life time right there...

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

Offlinedkamp18
The Real World

#11603809 - 12/07/09 04:20 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mycelismymind said:
start with shooting grapes, then move on to bullets

rubber bullets, or chalk bullets maybe?

i couldn't imagine someone consistently being able to stop a bullet with a sword though... 

a good human reaction time (on the faster side) is about 190milliseconds, the speed of a desert eagle's bullet after it has left the barrel is about 70 meters per second

that means that at any less than 12 meters away even the fastest hands in the world would not even have a physical chance to deflect a bullet.

but i guess that is just grasping for straws, lol

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in Flag
    #11604311 - 12/07/09 05:30 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

i also agree with shroomism, aikido is a very very all round good thing!

i'm not a martial artist but i've been dancing and doing body stuff for a few years now, for the set of goals you put i'm sure that beats any kind of hard/semi hard martial art training!
to get in touch with your body and your health is much easier and revealing (in the sense of mental spin off as you put it) then any of the other options, save aikido which depending where you learn it can also count IMHO, well that and Thai Chi.

doing these "body stuff" has completely changed my life, not in any hippy way, trust me!
i've decided a while ago to devote my self to the study of movement and body therapy and just started studying Shiatsu this year. i still have a long way to go but i know for certain that this is my vocation!

the advice i can give you would be to forget about flashy fight stuff and simply start to explore and discover your body, that's the only point. how you do it doesn't really matter... it is important to at least get a taste of different disciplines (even a couple of lessons can really make a big change if you remember them!) in that sense you might start out in some karate school or whatever but at this point in life (when you're no longer a kid) it would have to be REALLY good to make you stay there until the results you're looking for will come!
mostly what i found in these schools was a lot of competition and ego :smrik:

my personal pivot was Contact Improvisation which made me look for more and more "body stuff" while it may not be for anyone (or at least i'm sure you will not try it out just because i said) i'm sure it has all you're looking for.
that's why i agreed with the first poster that replied, Yoga will teach you to breath (the very basic of any technique) build your flexibility and balance, give you tools for dealing with the stress of living. thai chi will teach you to take the power from yoga and apply it for self defence and movement, and dancing (contact if you listen to me :tongue:) will open you up to many, many more things (if i go into that right now it will take me an hour to write...) just to name a few though... social relations, joy, expression, improvisation(so important in our lives) and so on...

if you take anything from what i just worte, take this: set out to discover your body, how it works, and why it works the way it does. note your stress points and the points that give you pleasure, try to find the connection between your mind and your body and then never stop to be concious of these things.

enjoy!

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
Re: Any martial artists - advice? [Re: Simisu]
    #11604324 - 12/07/09 05:31 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Kung Fu

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

Offlinepsilocybin_qualm
Student
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: Any martial artists - advice? [Re: PilzeEssen]
    #11604413 - 12/07/09 05:43 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Northern Praying Mantis

Offlinedkamp18
The Real World

Re: Any martial artists - advice? [Re: Simisu]
    #11604524 - 12/07/09 05:59 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Simisu said:
i also agree with shroomism, aikido is a very very all round good thing!

i'm not a martial artist but i've been dancing and doing body stuff for a few years now, for the set of goals you put i'm sure that beats any kind of hard/semi hard martial art training!
to get in touch with your body and your health is much easier and revealing (in the sense of mental spin off as you put it) then any of the other options, save aikido which depending where you learn it can also count IMHO, well that and Thai Chi.

doing these "body stuff" has completely changed my life, not in any hippy way, trust me!
i've decided a while ago to devote my self to the study of movement and body therapy and just started studying Shiatsu this year. i still have a long way to go but i know for certain that this is my vocation!

the advice i can give you would be to forget about flashy fight stuff and simply start to explore and discover your body, that's the only point. how you do it doesn't really matter... it is important to at least get a taste of different disciplines (even a couple of lessons can really make a big change if you remember them!) in that sense you might start out in some karate school or whatever but at this point in life (when you're no longer a kid) it would have to be REALLY good to make you stay there until the results you're looking for will come!
mostly what i found in these schools was a lot of competition and ego :smrik:

my personal pivot was Contact Improvisation which made me look for more and more "body stuff" while it may not be for anyone (or at least i'm sure you will not try it out just because i said) i'm sure it has all you're looking for.
that's why i agreed with the first poster that replied, Yoga will teach you to breath (the very basic of any technique) build your flexibility and balance, give you tools for dealing with the stress of living. thai chi will teach you to take the power from yoga and apply it for self defence and movement, and dancing (contact if you listen to me :tongue:) will open you up to many, many more things (if i go into that right now it will take me an hour to write...) just to name a few though... social relations, joy, expression, improvisation(so important in our lives) and so on...

if you take anything from what i just worte, take this: set out to discover your body, how it works, and why it works the way it does. note your stress points and the points that give you pleasure, try to find the connection between your mind and your body and then never stop to be concious of these things.

enjoy!

i can agree with a lot of that, kinesiology is a great study to get in touch with the true strengths and weaknesses of your own individual body through a more technical standpoint.

with enough devotion, no matter what route you take to discover your own body whether it be martial arts(yoga, tai chi, aikido, judo, kickboxing etc), dancing, or just simply weight training or cardio you can become a much stronger person(both mentally and physically).

don't allow yourself to be caught up in flash and vanity, or become arrogant by the means of only a single form, explore all the options available to you and become wiser by experience, and become more experienced through open mindedness.

in all reality, every opinion given on this thread is just as valid as the last... it is all relative to the person and their goals, but if you truly want to become well rounded in your physical and mental well being you should explore all of the ideas cited on this thread.

the only reason i can give an informed opinion is because throughout my years of experience i have branched out to many different ways of bettering my mind and body.
i have experience from 1 month- 9 years of almost a dozen different martial arts and other sports, from just weight training to dabbling in gymnastics;all of which have affected my current advancment in my choice sport of kickboxing, as well as even my mental strength and stability.

InvisibleDarkMatterOfFact
ZealtheDealforthePill
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Cali
    #11604595 - 12/07/09 06:10 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

a aluminum baseball bat and some pcp is all you need...or some good tequila and the bottle can do some damage in case you drop your bat, being your buzzed.

--------------------

Nixon was a asshole. Just look at his biggest creation. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the DEA.

Which secretly stands for Demonizing Everyone by Allegations.

OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

Re: Any martial artists - advice? [Re: PDU]
    #11604681 - 12/07/09 06:19 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

don't even waste time if its only 5 months, do something else until you move.

I would recommend Kenpo

--------------------
This section of the signature line has been intentionally left blank.

we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

Offline1200 Micrograms
shroomed

#11604743 - 12/07/09 06:28 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mycelismymind said:
i recommender  punching them really hard in the face repeatedly till they go limp, or aikido.

Whack the sack & steal their money instead.

Offlinedkamp18
The Real World

Re: Any martial artists - advice? [Re: DarkMatterOfFact]
    #11605257 - 12/07/09 07:33 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DarkMatterOfFact said:
a aluminum baseball bat and some pcp is all you need...or some good tequila and the bottle can do some damage in case you drop your bat, being your buzzed.

:curbyourenthusiasm:

jack daniels does some hard core damage too. lol

my old boss hit a guy with a bottle of jack daniels a few years ago...
the guy ended up in the hospital, and my boss went home with an undamaged bottle of jack. lol

InvisibleDarkMatterOfFact
ZealtheDealforthePill
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Cali
    #11605298 - 12/07/09 07:40 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dkamp18 said:
Quote:

DarkMatterOfFact said:

:curbyourenthusiasm:

jack daniels does some hard core damage too. lol

my old boss hit a guy with a bottle of jack daniels a few years ago...
the guy ended up in the hospital, and my boss went home with an undamaged bottle of jack. lol

haha guess he got his moneys worth out of that bottle...what more can u ask for.

--------------------

Nixon was a asshole. Just look at his biggest creation. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the DEA.

Which secretly stands for Demonizing Everyone by Allegations.

Offlinedkamp18
The Real World

Re: Any martial artists - advice? [Re: DarkMatterOfFact]
    #11605407 - 12/07/09 07:53 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

haha, guess it's something to be said about a bottle of whiskey that gives a hangover before you even open it. lol

OfflineChubba
Vape hungry

Re: Any martial artists - advice? [Re: PDU]
    #11605446 - 12/07/09 07:59 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Go join a Muay Thai club.

Learn some no bullshit striking in a really intense atmosphere.

Unlike other martial arts, it will only be a matter of weeks before you get a REAL taste of fighting.

If you want confidence, stepping into a ring and defending yourself from punches/kicks/knees/elbows will do far more then moving through a belt system in a most martial arts.

Ground fighting is very satisfying though, a combination of wrestling and BJJ is my favourite.

Offlinedkamp18
The Real World

Re: Any martial artists - advice? [Re: Chubba]
    #11605514 - 12/07/09 08:09 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Chubba said:
Go join a Muay Thai club.

Learn some no bullshit striking in a really intense atmosphere.

Unlike other martial arts, it will only be a matter of weeks before you get a REAL taste of fighting.

If you want confidence, stepping into a ring and defending yourself from punches/kicks/knees/elbows will do far more then moving through a belt system in a most martial arts.

Ground fighting is very satisfying though, a combination of wrestling and BJJ is my favourite.

that is why kickboxing is my style of choice. i prefer muay thai and korean, i tried american a few years ago, but that is just another example of a diluted style that has lost it effectiveness

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Community >> The Pub