Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hemp

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Why doesn't America go to a Parlament?
    #1159417 - 12/21/02 04:57 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have been thinking recently that America would be much better off with a parlament. I have run that by many people who seemed oddly stumped and dazed when I mention it.

It just seems like parlaments react much quicker to the will of the people. I mean, it's a multi party system and that's good right? Why is it no other country in the world has adopted American style of government even after they had the American example to look at. Everybody else decided to form a paralment, even Isreal. Why is that?

Would George Bush ever have formed a coalition that would have survived this long?

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Why doesn't America go to a Parlament? [Re: upupup]
    #1159425 - 12/21/02 05:05 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

America is too ass backwards to do something like that. Sounds like it would work better, though. There is a huge communication gap between the people and the federal government.

Offlineupupup
guardian

Re: Why doesn't America go to a Parlament? [Re: ]
    #1159432 - 12/21/02 05:12 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Not only that but our system is inherently prone to corruption, not that ANY politician would not be prone to such things, it just seems that in a parlament things change so quickly it would be difficult for curruption or even the military industrial complex to gain quite the foothold it now has. It's much more of an organic "hoi poloi" type of thing......

--------------------

Edited by upupup (12/21/02 08:56 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1159550 - 12/21/02 06:48 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Perhaps for the simple reason that our constitution doesn't allow it.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlineupupup
guardian

Re: Why doesn't America go to a Parlament? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1159732 - 12/21/02 08:55 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

The Constitution is written on paper, not stone......

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1159799 - 12/21/02 09:30 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Paper huh? No shit.

Check into what's necessary to change the constitution. Now try to imagine it actually happening. Now stretch your imagination a bit further. If it's changed via a constitutional convention that throws the door open for any changes people might wish. Envision if you will an ammendment forbiding abortion. How about no freedom of the press? Perhaps remove that pesky second ammendment which most libbies would love to see happen.

The other way to change the constitution is for either 2/3 or 3/4 of the states to vote in favor. Good luck there.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlineupupup
guardian

#1162285 - 12/22/02 02:23 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

And if Jefferson had just said "The freaking english are just too strong, they have way more firepower, and the best damn navy in the world, screw thinking of ways to create a better life without them." where would we be?

I still wonder just what the difference would be if our country adopted a parlament? What are the actual pro's and con's and which outweighs which?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1162380 - 12/22/02 03:00 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I'm not saying it's not possible. There a been too many ammendments already added. Some good, some bad.

I'm just saying be careful what you wish for.

I think a better change would be to require a candidate to receive at least 50% of the vote or face a run-off.

--------------------

Offlineupupup
guardian

#1162474 - 12/22/02 03:35 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I think a better change would be to require a candidate to receive at least 50% of the vote or face a run-off.

If we still must stay within the kind of thinking that gives us 2 choices I say we pick the 2 and give them short swords and some Amphetamines......

--------------------

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Duck Hunt, Enemy Enforcer

Loc: Fire in the sky
    #1162542 - 12/22/02 03:58 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

It goes back to our goverments founding. It's caled the Conniticut Compromise. All the states can be equal in the Senate, even little Conneticut but have more Representation based on population in the House. It was the only was to form the Union that all states would agree to.

Besides a parliment is so backwards and savage, even the British do that!

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Offlineupupup
guardian

Re: Why doesn't America go to a Parlament? [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #1162568 - 12/22/02 04:07 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

So your saying we didn't form a parlament at the time when the country was taking shape because of the "CC"? But that dosen't say what the pro's and con's are or if it would be better than what we have now.

And regarding the Brits- as I said in my original post the Isrealies even use one, so how backwards can it be? It's not like they couldn't look at the examples of governments out there and make one up eh?

CORRECTION- I said the constitution was written on paper but I was wrong....it was written on hemp.....

--------------------

Edited by upupup (12/22/02 04:11 PM)

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Duck Hunt, Enemy Enforcer

Loc: Fire in the sky
    #1163067 - 12/22/02 06:58 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

As long as we have states we'll have to have a two part legislative branch. The Senators and states would never agree to anything else since it would completely change each states representation.

The Conneticut Compromise was the crucial decision that formed America's governement. The problem was that the states with big populations wanted more representation than the states with little populations like Conneticut. The little states wanted all the states to be equal and they couldn't agree on which way to have it, so they compromised. The big population states would have more representation in the House of Representatives like the big states wanted and the States would all be equal in the Senate like the little states like Conneticut wanted. That keeps the big states from pushing around the little states.

A result of this seen now, is the origional 13 colonies are quite small compared with the western states and have much more power in the senate and to a great extent the littlest states now push around the big states, which is a rather ironic turn of events. However, they're all still represented by population in the House, so the compromise is still working.

To change this system would be a complete upheaval of the powers delegated to the reresentatives, and it wouldn't really be fair to the states either.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1163550 - 12/23/02 12:36 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I've read of a great election system that was actually used in ancient Greece.
It's called lottery system. Representatives were chosen randomly from entire population.  It would solve many problems: no false promises, no campaigns, no lobbying, no reelection... :grin: 

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Why doesn't America go to a Parlament? [Re: zeronio]
    #1163585 - 12/23/02 02:14 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah that would be great! Considering 2/3 of the population of most countries (inc the US) are morons we'd wind up with a wonderful government. BAD idea.

I think a con of a parlimentary system would be that they'd wind up spending too much time bickering and trying to form coalitions to get much done.

--------------------

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1163600 - 12/23/02 02:42 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Yeah that would be great! Considering 2/3 of the population of most countries (inc the US) are morons we'd wind up with a wonderful government. BAD idea.

He, he. That means that only 66% of the representatives would be morons. Now it's closer to 100% (and I mean most countries, not only US)

J/K  :cool: 

Offlineupupup
guardian

#1164121 - 12/23/02 08:04 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

A perspective that might be called Conservative might say that a govenment not doing much is a good thing......

That kind of deadlock is a pro as far as I am concerned becuase it is a more represntative type of government, from what I can gather so far, and that deadlock is sort of like a safe guard in itself because you have to have agreement on a issue from a bunch of different parties to make it happen. More of a consensus thing rather than one party that hardly represents the people trying to steam roller another party that hardly represents the people....

Where are the rest of the world posters out there? How about some input from some Canadians, EU folks, or others who live with such a system?

--------------------

Edited by upupup (12/23/02 08:46 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Why doesn't America go to a Parlament? [Re: zeronio]
    #1164772 - 12/23/02 11:50 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

He, he. That means that only 66% of the representatives would be morons. Now it's closer to 100% (and I mean most countries, not only US)

I would say instead that the decisions they make are moronic.
In their rush to buy off voters they let their moronic side take over from the good judgement side. This doesn't mean I think none of them are morons, at least 49 of the Senate are.  :grin:

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1164775 - 12/23/02 11:52 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

In reply to:

A perspective that might be called Conservative might say that a govenment not doing much is a good thing......

For the most part I agree with that.

In reply to:

That kind of deadlock is a pro as far as I am concerned

Until something comes up which needs immediate action.

--------------------

OfflineSnuffelzFurever
Psychonaut

Loc: Miami, florida
    #1164779 - 12/23/02 11:55 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

america wont even change its fucking measurements to the metric system. america's problem is that it can never admit it is wrong. oh sure, bill clinton apologized for vietnam, but thats it. and that was like, 20 years afterwards. nah, our government has ego problems. major ego problems. the kind that can only be solved by giving them acid or mushrooms ;-)

--------------------
"I think it's time we stop
Children, What's the sound,
Everybody look what's going down"

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Why doesn't America go to a Parlament? [Re: SnuffelzFurever]
    #1164812 - 12/23/02 12:22 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

****america wont even change its fucking measurements to the metric system.****

i've never been able to understand that, the metric system makes so much more sense. I know both. In the Military most everything is in metric.

****oh sure, bill clinton apologized for vietnam****

Ofcourse he did, he dodged the draft....

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Hemp

General Interest >> Political Discussion