Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNSKiller
Apprentice

Loc: North Eastern United Stat...
Does temp make a difference?
    #1158790 - 12/20/02 05:34 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

My friend was just wondering if the temp inside the incubation chamber is lowered does it have a higher risk for contamination.  He was thinking this because with higher temp the substrate colonizes faster, correct?  Meaning it would give contams less time to take over, or grab hold of a cake.  He's asking because he had 3 cakes in an 86d chamber and it took about 8 days to fully colonize, the temp is now 72-78d and its taking cakes a lot longer to colonize.  Three of six cakes might be contaminated with cobweb mold (actually im positive), using the same syringe he used for the first three successfull cakes.  The reason he had to lower the temp is because his set up has one tub with water, the incubation chamber, then the growing chamber on top of that.  So there are three tubs stacked on one another (limited room)....  There are cakes in the growing chamber and thats why he cant have the high temps for the incubation chamber.  Any help or suggestions would help  :confused:  thx  :grin: 

--------------------
"I think its time to hit the sack, then i'll probably just go to bed" ~ NSKiller

Edited by NSKiller (12/20/02 05:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Does temp make a difference? [Re: NSKiller]
    #1158801 - 12/20/02 05:40 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Any help or suggestions would help 

Get more room.    :grin:

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #1158812 - 12/20/02 05:44 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

This is kind of a contamination forum question but I think it's a good question here too...

It depends.....some nastys like it hot and some do not.....

what seems to be true for me right now is that I have better luck not getting nastys when I use just a bit lower than recommended temps.....but my main problem tends to be bacteria which loves warm, anerobic environments.......

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

OfflineNSKiller
Apprentice

Re: Does temp make a difference? [Re: upupup]
    #1158932 - 12/20/02 06:51 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Another thing my friend told me..... he let the substrate jars sit for about a month after sterilization before using them.... is it bad to let your substrate jars sit to long, should you use them within 24/48 of sterilization, or can you use them three months later?

--------------------
"I think its time to hit the sack, then i'll probably just go to bed" ~ NSKiller

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #1158953 - 12/20/02 07:01 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

If everything is sterilized and it's stored properly, in theory it should last forever. It's better to innoculate ASAP.

Offlinerico357
journeyman

Re: Does temp make a difference? [Re: daussaulit]
    #1159043 - 12/20/02 07:30 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

would it be a good idea to wait 48 hours to see if any contams "pop-up" in the jars before innoculation, to save some spore solution? or will the myc "win the war" in general. i know you just said that it's better to innoculate ASAP and i'm not trying to "be a dumbass" if you know what i mean.

reason i'm asking is i have one syringe left, and don't want to waste it on another failed attempt. hopefully, i will be able to get at least one mushroom to fully mature so i can make some spore syringes for later use.

so here's my final question:
Can i steralize my jars, and wait two days to see which ones start growing contam?

InvisibleSubGen1us

Re: Does temp make a difference? [Re: rico357]
    #1159048 - 12/20/02 07:33 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

yes, i have read it is good to wait a day or 2, but most ppl realize that if they do it sterile they have nuthin to worry about so thay save the 2 days time to get they shit goin

--------------------

InvisibleTxTec
Texas home andheart breaker...

Re: Does temp make a difference? [Re: SubGen1us]
    #1159268 - 12/20/02 11:06 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I have innoculated 60 jarz since nov 10th and have used heating pads, room temp,growroom temp and outta the 60 jarz only one has been contaminated. I really think that i have found another way to insure sterility, i use the paper pleated ac or heater filter and with the t-stat in the "fan on" position i spray it liberly with lysol off an on for about an hour before doing any innoculation, spore printing ect..I really dont get that much of a difference in colonizing times until i get the temp to 90 degrees...Sorry i got off the subject of temp but i get so confused.. :shocked:

--------------------
I felt a warm warm breeze that melted metal and steele

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #1159274 - 12/20/02 11:26 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

If you have sterilized them correctly, it doesn't help to let them sit after the fact, however, it may be best to let your pre-mixed jars sit for about 24 hours before sterilizing. This is especialy effective if you have had problems with bacterial contamination. out of curiosity, what kind of sterilization does your friend use? I might add that it seems the cobweb was most likely introduced during the period after sterilization but may also have come in during incubation, so a thorough cleaning of the incubation chamber might be advisable
i agree with skikid, your friend needs to have them unstacked. if s/he can afford the space, it's definately worth it.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineNSKiller
Apprentice

Re: Does temp make a difference? [Re: canid]
    #1159633 - 12/21/02 05:48 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

after pc my friend lets them cool for any where from 12-24 hrs in the pc. takes em out, takes off top tin foil cover lids, wips down with alcohol, tapes the holes, lets jars sit in cardboard box for about 1-2 hours. Puts everything in a glove box, sprayed down with lysol before use with a fan and filter system (sucks air in through a filter, blows it out the hand holes with lid), wipe everything down that goes into the glove box with alcohol. Inside chamber my friend heats the needles red, then wipes down with alcohol, removes tape, wipes lid with alcohol, then incubates in four points, tapes up and rights on top with marker. he then places them in the growing chamber with other substrate jars randomnly inc, some might have contam should he take them out even though theyre in a jar? he does randomnly spray the inc chamber with lysol.

--------------------

OfflineNSKiller
Apprentice

#1159982 - 12/21/02 09:24 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

He also has a casing in there, should that be removed as well?

--------------------

OfflineNSKiller
Apprentice

#1160578 - 12/21/02 03:11 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

:frown: 

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract