Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerico357
journeyman

pre-steralization in dishwasher
    #1158917 - 12/20/02 06:41 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

this may be a useless post deleted automatically by the mods  :wink: :confused: this might actually be in the wrong forum, so i apologize for that in advance.

but i just emptied some 1/2 pint jelly jars from an unsuccessful attemp at cultivation. all 12 jars were contaminated by some bluish-green mold within 2 days. i eptied all 12 jars into a one gallon plastic bag and threw it away. now i have those jars full of nasty leftover shit. i'm afraid that if i try to wash these jars in anti-bacterial soap because i might miss some little spots, so what i had in mind was putting them into a dishwasher before filling with new "stuff" (brf/verm). i just baught a pressure cooker cause i figured the pot with lid didn't do the trick.

well, back to the question. will it be a waste of time putting these into a dishwasher? it's realatively new, and has 4 settings, i figure the hottest setting is the "pots/pans" setting.

i don't have any lysol or bleach in my house tonight, and i want to get started tonight. should i just wait till tomorrow, or will it be safe to try tonight?

thanks in advance.

oh yeah, i searched the faq and all i got was posts about steralization in the microwave and oven.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: rico357]
    #1159057 - 12/20/02 07:38 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Offlinerico357
journeyman

Re: pre-steralization in dishwasher [Re: ]
    #1159118 - 12/20/02 08:12 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

cool. i already put them in the dishwasher. i said, "what the hell, it aint gonna hurt. :wink:" i just ran a test on the pc with only water in it, and it works like a charm (according to the manual). hope that was my only problem with being unsterile, but i doubt it. well, what do "they" say, take it one thing at a time.

well, wish me luck (pleeeeeeeeeeze) f(r)iend. lol.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: pre-steralization in dishwasher [Re: rico357]
    #1159370 - 12/21/02 01:57 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

The PC was a wise investment. It will save you lots of time in the future. I don't recommend that people reuse jars after they have held contamination. It is harder to get rid of contamination than it is to keep it away. Jars are cheap. You expose yourself to potentially dangerous biohazards when you empty a contaminated jar. If you decide to reuse jars, for whatever reasons, you should open them underwater in a 10% bleach solution and let them soak for a few hours. Don't let them soak more than a few hours or the glass tends to get cloudy and is a pain to clean for some reason. If you reuse a contaminated jar, be sure you PC it immediately after adding the substrate. A lot of nasties can form in just half a day. There is no downside that I know of to using a dishwasher, but don't believe that a dishwaser gets hot enough for long enough to actually sterilize the jars.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinerico357
journeyman

Re: pre-steralization in dishwasher [Re: Seuss]
    #1160082 - 12/21/02 10:25 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

oops, i already put them in the dishwasher, and filled them back up with substrate and put them in the pc. :confused: i hope i didn't just cause myself more contams. prolly what i'll do is wait for one or two days after they're done in the pc, to see if i get any contams.

thanks for the reply, i just didn't read it untill after i had started .

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: pre-steralization in dishwasher [Re: rico357]
    #1160285 - 12/21/02 12:13 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

You should be fine... Many people on here consider me overly paranoid (when it comes to contamination).  :smile:

As long as you had a good 15 psi in the PC and let them go for a good hour I doubt you will have any problems at all.  What I was refering to, is cleaning them in the dishwasher, filling them with substrate, letting them sit for a day or two, and then PCing them...

I would go ahead an innoculate them sooner than later.  If you want to leave one uninnoculated as a control to see what happens, no worries.  The sooner you have mycelium growing, the less time and space nasties have to get a foot hold.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder