Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegrimio
Luck is Goodness
Cutting cakes in half for higher yield?
    #1158982 - 12/20/02 07:11 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I've never grown before, but plan on it soon, so excuse me if this is an incrediably dumb question.

Hypothetically:
I have a cake that is completely colonized and lets just say I can get 5 dry grams out of it's first flush.

Suppose rather then letting the whole cake grow, could I cut it in half just after birthing and get approx. 10 dry grams when/if they both flush for the first time?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Cutting cakes in half for higher yield? [Re: grimio]
    #1158991 - 12/20/02 07:14 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Mass cannot be created or destroyed.

InvisibleServator
Viral Agent

#1158993 - 12/20/02 07:14 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

half the substrate = half the yield
you should get just about the same, maybe larger first flushes because of the increased surface area, but it wouldn't double outcome.

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #1159440 - 12/21/02 03:20 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Your essentially talking about spawning but you just don't know it yet.....

From Oldtimer-
"A method I use might prove useful to you. I simply start 1/2 pint jars using traditional PF Tek. Once jars are fully colonized I get ready for straw inoculation. I soak regular old straw (which I get from a Feed & Seed) for 24 hours. After soaking I chop the straw and place in a large pasta pot. Bring to 160F for 1 hour. After pasteurization I allow straw to cool, drain and place in pans with clear "greenhouse" type lids. Take the "cake" and grind it to powder in a food processor/blender. Believe it or not the grinding does not harm the mycelium. Sprinkle the cake powder all over the straw and mix in throughly. Every minute particle of PF cake dust will become a growth point giving super fast colonization of the straw. Allow spawn to run through and case. You will get really good flushes (much more than fruiting individual cakes) and produce many more carpophores for your enjoyment. Of course
optimum humidity must be maintained throughout the entire growing cycle from inoculation to fruiting. For years I
started cultures using petri dishes, replated several times, transferred to grain and fruited strictly on manure/straw compost. Now, thanks to PF I have learned a much easier and quicker method for growing our
fungi friends using straw and cakes with no lab time at all. See, you can teach an old head new tricks"

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Offlinelvleph
mathematicalidiot

Re: Cutting cakes in half for higher yield? [Re: upupup]
    #1159447 - 12/21/02 03:24 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

Mass can not be created nor destroyed.

That is kinda funny. You still believe in the conservation of mass. Where do you think the energy comes from in nuclear reactions? Yes, that is right kiddos from mass. Although this is not a nuclear reaction, his statement doesn't seem to fit. I just thought it was funny. I think he was thinking that more surface area will allow more mushies to grow.

--------------------
"Man was born free and is every where in chains."

Edited by lvleph (12/21/02 03:26 AM)

OfflineThom_Yorke
Residentcannibol
Loc: Tennessee
Re: Cutting cakes in half for higher yield? [Re: lvleph]
    #1159476 - 12/21/02 03:49 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

That is kinda funny. You still believe in the conservation of mass. Where do you think the energy comes from in nuclear reactions? Yes, that is right kiddos from mass.

What a fucking dumbass, I could not even believe I was reading this

Offlinelvleph
mathematicalidiot

Re: Cutting cakes in half for higher yield? [Re: Thom_Yorke]
    #1159492 - 12/21/02 04:05 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah I am the dumb ass. By the way I was a Nuclear Electrician, so don't believe me that is fine not my loss.

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cutting cakes in half for higher yield? [Re: Thom_Yorke]
    #1159499 - 12/21/02 04:10 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i'm confused now. i agree that his staement seemed wrong, as the energy does come from mass, in a sense (it comes from the forces that ound the mass together)... but no mass in created in nuclear bomb, is it?

but then he is a nuclear scientist, so maybe we're both wrong.

--------------------
buh

Offlinelvleph
mathematicalidiot

Re: Cutting cakes in half for higher yield? [Re: shirley knott]
    #1159503 - 12/21/02 04:14 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

No mass is createed in a nuclear bomb, but mass can be created, it is just very difficult and takes lots of energy. Mass is transformed into energy in a nuclear reaction such as a bomb or reactor.

--------------------

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

Re: Cutting cakes in half for higher yield? [Re: upupup]
    #1159506 - 12/21/02 04:14 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

#1159528 - 12/21/02 04:35 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

That is kinda funny. You still believe in the conservation of mass. Where do you think the energy comes from in nuclear reactions? Yes, that is right kiddos from mass.

Let me rephrase. "Mass cannot be created or destroyed in an ordinary chemical reaction." Do you see a nuclear reaction going on in a cake? Because I don't. I also think he wants to have the same amount of flushes but it's not going to happen because the substrate is being used up faster.

Edited by daussaulit (12/21/02 06:48 AM)

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1159686 - 12/21/02 06:27 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I've done a few cake tests and have done what you are talking about. The only time I found that it was worth doing is when you have had a couple of flushes cutting it in half makes for a new side for pins to start.
The only tests I've found worth doing with cakes is to break them up and then let the pieces of several cakes grow together. This makes for better use of the room in the chamber. Here is a pic of one of the big cakes just getting started and a pic of the chamber.

The ones in the foi are cased rye berrys and the big white lumps are the big cakes I'm talking about. :grin:   

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1159891 - 12/21/02 08:29 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

When you refer to the idea of "creating mass" isn't that really just recycling energy in the first place?  Nothing is actually being created then, just recycled and transformed.  I also thought the law goes: "Energy can neither be created or destroyed, only recycled".  (Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is my first year of physics  :grin:

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

#1159998 - 12/21/02 09:33 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Energy in nuclear reactors comes from controlled nuclear fission reactions which generate heat on a large scale and are subsequently converted into electrical energy, now nuclear fission is heavy nucleus splitting into nuclei of intermediate masses and one or more protons are emitted.

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

Edited by BladeLSD (12/21/02 09:34 AM)

OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
Re: Cutting cakes in half for higher yield? [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1160002 - 12/21/02 09:36 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I'll add my simpleton's view on this: I live by wood heat(IE I heat my home with a wood stove), now I KNOW that if I load up my wood stove beofre bed, and let it burn all night (like I do) in the morning, the ashes only take up a fraction of the space that a stove full of wood does. NOw, being that I'm NOT a scientest (yet), does that mean that the ashes are the same amout of mass as the full wood logs? or was some of the mass of the wood destroyed in burning?

-Loop

--------------------
Pack-tight, midnight, ship it to tha coast.
Some take tha plane, you, you on tha boat,
right beside tha money which right beside tha coke
Passin by tha coastgaurd, right under their nose.

To the US-HEY where anyone can getny, MIA all the way to New Your city, you a twenty now....

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Cutting cakes in half for higher yield? [Re: Loop_Theorist]
    #1160044 - 12/21/02 10:06 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

It was converted. You can't destroy or create mass or energy in an ordinary chemical reaction.

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

Re: Cutting cakes in half for higher yield? [Re: daussaulit]
    #1160137 - 12/21/02 10:39 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Goes for any chemical rxn, The mass was converted into what? Energy. Do you know what the formula of Mass to Energy is? If you did you would find it very unlikely that his wood mass was turned into energy

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

Edited by BladeLSD (12/21/02 10:41 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Cutting cakes in half for higher yield? [Re: BladeLSD]
    #1160193 - 12/21/02 11:02 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

A little bit of it was. Actually, the energy used to bond some molecules was released, along with CO2, resulting in carbons in various shapes in solid form. The reaction used O2 to combust and tear apart the molecules of wood and reform into more compact molecules of carbon, along with water and CO2.
E=MC^2
If any of the wood was converted into energy, it was very little, because just a little bit of mass creates a ton of energy.
M=mass
C=speed of light
E=energy
I forget what units are used, however.

OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
Re: Cutting cakes in half for higher yield? [Re: daussaulit]
    #1160200 - 12/21/02 11:06 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you. I wasn't trying to be an ass, I was really just wondering.

-Loop

--------------------
Pack-tight, midnight, ship it to tha coast.
Some take tha plane, you, you on tha boat,
right beside tha money which right beside tha coke
Passin by tha coastgaurd, right under their nose.

To the US-HEY where anyone can getny, MIA all the way to New Your city, you a twenty now....

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

Re: Cutting cakes in half for higher yield? [Re: Loop_Theorist]
    #1160684 - 12/21/02 03:59 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Energy is equal to Mass when its traveling at the speed of light squared. Are you saying this magical burning wood mass was traveling at the speed of light squared causing it to become energy or is there a more logical explanation? By the way loop I wasn't trying to make u look like an ass I just thought I'd use your example to disprove the energy misconception

--------------------

Edited by BladeLSD (12/21/02 04:07 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale