Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemandrax360
Woodchipper Deluxe
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nelson Mandela House, Peckham Flag
Re: OFFICIAL U.K CYAN DISTRIBUTION THREAD [Re: hungrygoldfish]
    #16041923 - 04/04/12 07:26 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

hazel will work well . If you make a small tube at home then spawn outside in 2-4 weeks you will be laughing come autumn . The  Forestry Commission is your best friend as they keep adding new woodchip every year or 2 saving you all the time and effort . good luck goldfish .

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSporulator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: OFFICIAL U.K CYAN DISTRIBUTION THREAD [Re: hungrygoldfish]
    #16042111 - 04/04/12 08:42 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

hungrygoldfish said:
Since adding extra woodchip I've had some mega-fuzz growing...I pressure cooked the chips for one hour before adding...

Do not (pressure) cook or boil wood chips. To sterilise wood chips will kill all  the beneficial bacteria
which help to keep moulds away.

By far the best procedure to prepare wood chips is UNDERWATER FERMENTATION.

Put about 20 kg wood chips in a big tub, fill up with tap water and stir two times a day.
After a few days, the chips begin to sink to the bottom of the tub.
After about a week, depending on the temperatures, an unpleasant smell will develop caused by bacteria.
The bacteria will digest all the soluble sugars from the wood within 3 to 4 weeks, again depending on the temps.

VERY IMPORTANT:  The wood chips have to be submerged underwater completely  during the fermentation process.

After the bacteria have done their work, just pour away  the water and let the wood chips drain for a few hours.
The unpleasant smell will disappear and the wood chips are ready for inoculation.
Moulds have no chance to grow because all soluble sugars are gone, eaten by the bacteria.
Moulds need easily digestible carbohydrates to grow, like dextrose, saccharose etc.
They can't break down complex carbohydrates.

The same procedure works also very well for (wheat) straw.

--------------------

Edited by Sporulator (04/04/12 11:33 PM)

OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

Loc: Graham, WA
Re: OFFICIAL U.K CYAN DISTRIBUTION THREAD [Re: Sporulator]
    #16042587 - 04/04/12 11:09 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

:whathesaid: Perfect way to explain what happens when you do this process. I've used this way before, and it works great. Plus it takes very little effort to produce hundreds of pounds of chips. 

@ Goldfish: The forestry commission sounds like your friend. After the wood is chipped up and sits outside for a year or so, it doesn't really matter what type of tree it is (as long as you stay away from any species of cedar or wood with lots of sap). Hardwoods are the best to use, but species of fir, pine, spruce and others work just fine (if they are not fresh chips). Another thing to consider, get in contact with some local tree services. Many companies that do storm cleanup will gladly dump a few truck loads of chips at your house for a small fee, and maybe a 12 pack:wink:

--------------------
Having lived through an existence close to nature, one accepts the small and simple things as most important in life. Sun, wind, rain and snow. The sounds birds make, smells of fresh wild flowers. Love of all kinds, from friends and family, thy self and our neighbors. Beautiful sunrises to the darkest clouds dancing above in the sky. To forgive, learn, share and express. This is the only thing a man such as myself can ask for. What comes as the result is nothing short of the core of human existence, to truly live free in body and mind.

Offlinekeeno
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: OFFICIAL U.K CYAN DISTRIBUTION THREAD [Re: Sporulator]
    #16042687 - 04/04/12 11:35 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

oopsie. I read a thread from a few years back saying boil your woodchips for an hour then leave them 24 hours to soak... shit I hope that doesn't screw things up for me?

I've just filled a big old pot (with lots of air holes in the sides) with a couple of these

(cyanofriscosas on egg cartons, which they seemed to love!)

and some (unknown hardwood) chips, rhododendron chippings, aspen chips and humus from a forest floor.

another pot I did about 3 weeks ago, using straight grains has quite a bit of myc in it (no pics as it's pissing it down outside)
but I'll update this in a bit :smile:

--------------------
Check out my Psilocybe Cyanofriscosa (Allenii) TEK

Top fungi-knowlodgy with THE TRIBE!
THE TRIBE

OfflineUK Explorer
Viva La ColonizaciĆ³n!
Male User Gallery

Re: OFFICIAL U.K CYAN DISTRIBUTION THREAD [Re: keeno]
    #16044029 - 04/04/12 04:27 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Very interesting and insightful Sporulator, I know I've binned chips that emitted that rancid smell after a few days thinking they were shagged...

Kind of makes me question my 'bring to a fast boil then straight off the heat and steep for an hour' tek, I only do this for uber-quick hydration but could be contributing to that same fuzziness appearing.

I've kept at bay with recent projects by hand scraping off infected top layer -underneath doesn't seem to support it the same, right away at least that is.

--------------------
THE RISE OF THE WOODLOVERS - An Ongoing Project to Introduce Exotic Species To The United Kingdom And Encourage Their Naturalisation

Invisiblemandrax360
Woodchipper Deluxe
Male User Gallery

Re: OFFICIAL U.K CYAN DISTRIBUTION THREAD [Re: UK Explorer]
    #16046275 - 04/05/12 01:55 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

@ Keeno , they will be fine as long as they get plenty FAE and are not over misted . once the MYC takes hold the wobweb does not stand a chance.

Offlinegobbeler
Stranger
Re: cyans at night [Re: mandrax360]
    #16146078 - 04/27/12 08:03 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

hi im new to shroom hunting. i was wondering if anyone has seen any cyans around london at this time of the year. i know of a spot where they grow but wasnt sure if they would be fruiting at the moment after the recent rain.

OfflineInconspicuous
ĪšĻĻĪ¹ĪæĻ‚

Re: cyans at night [Re: gobbeler]
    #16146080 - 04/27/12 08:04 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I'd wait till late autumn to look.

Offlineegodeathflux
Guttersnipe
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Stygian Pits Flag
Re: cyans at night [Re: Inconspicuous]
    #16147262 - 04/27/12 02:26 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

There was a thread about Spring actives a couple of days ago, be easy to find with a quick search. I'm exceedinglyh lazy.

It's generally slim pickens' until June/July in the best areas, more likely late Sept-Oct in the London area.

It's grim up North... but they get Libs about 3-4 months before the rest of us!

P. Cubensis is easily cultivated. :mushroom2:

--------------------

"Atrophic interludes weave through my life far too often, for me to fight the biggest enemies"

"Standing on the corner of 5th and Vermouth"

Invisiblemandrax360
Woodchipper Deluxe
Male User Gallery

Re: cyans at night [Re: egodeathflux]
    #16199664 - 05/08/12 12:30 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

PoundStretcher has bag of woodland bark 40l bags for Ā£2.50 got some for the garden and found 90% of the bag was wood chippings and small twigs . Got some soaking now to add to my tub to see if the myc likes it .A lot cheaper than the alder chip i use so I'll give it a go.

Offlinekeeno
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Re: cyans at night [Re: mandrax360]
    #16200806 - 05/08/12 05:33 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

yeah I saw that too but wasn't sure if bark was any good. I'l keep them peeled to see if they take to it

Aldi has bags of bark too for about the same price, so has anyone had experience with that at all?

--------------------

THE TRIBE

OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

Re: cyans at night [Re: keeno]
    #16200984 - 05/08/12 06:13 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Don't you guys have any hardwood trees you can cut some logs from and chip up with an axe or something? Paying for wood chips for projects is one thing, but bark? I'm sure you guys have some local tree crews that clean up after storms and chip up all the branches and what not. I would try to contact somebody along those lines if you guys are resorting to buying bagged bark. Just my  :twocents:

--------------------
Having lived through an existence close to nature, one accepts the small and simple things as most important in life. Sun, wind, rain and snow. The sounds birds make, smells of fresh wild flowers. Love of all kinds, from friends and family, thy self and our neighbors. Beautiful sunrises to the darkest clouds dancing above in the sky. To forgive, learn, share and express. This is the only thing a man such as myself can ask for. What comes as the result is nothing short of the core of human existence, to truly live free in body and mind.

InvisibleSporulator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: cyans at night [Re: NeoSporen]
    #16203329 - 05/09/12 02:52 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

bfogg8706 said:
Don't you guys have any hardwood trees you can cut some logs from and chip up with an axe or something? Paying for wood chips for projects is one thing, but bark? I'm sure you guys have some local tree crews that clean up after storms and chip up all the branches and what not. I would try to contact somebody along those lines if you guys are resorting to buying bagged bark. Just my  :twocents:

Yes, I am sure  in the UK there are places like this:    :biggrin:

--------------------

Offlinekeeno
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Re: cyans at night [Re: Sporulator]
    #16203410 - 05/09/12 03:54 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

yeah, I think your option is probably best. personally I contacted 6 or 7 tree crews here and the best I could get from them was "i'll drop off a hundred weight of chips for you" but since I only wanted 3 or 4 pots worth, that'll end up with my whole garden swamped (it's concreted over unfortunately, so I couldn't even put the excess on my borders or anything)
and also, I travel by bike/ public transport, so getting to mountains of chips (if I could find the buggers) isn't so easy :smile:
Perhaps purchasing a god stout axe isn't a bad idea though...

--------------------

THE TRIBE

OfflineNeoSporen
Antibiotic cream
Other User Gallery

Re: cyans at night [Re: Sporulator]
    #16203954 - 05/09/12 09:20 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

keeno said:
yeah, I think your option is probably best. personally I contacted 6 or 7 tree crews here and the best I could get from them was "i'll drop off a hundred weight of chips for you" but since I only wanted 3 or 4 pots worth, that'll end up with my whole garden swamped (it's concreted over unfortunately, so I couldn't even put the excess on my borders or anything)
and also, I travel by bike/ public transport, so getting to mountains of chips (if I could find the buggers) isn't so easy :smile:
Perhaps purchasing a god stout axe isn't a bad idea though...

A backpack full of good mulch goes a long way (so does a 6 pack  of beer when you give it to the tree crew guys:wink:), so it might be worth getting some. But, a stout axe or hatchet can make short work of a half rotten log and give you a nice mulch bed out in the forest to play with. 
Quote:

Sporulator said:
Quote:

bfogg8706 said:

Yes, I am sure  in the UK there are places like this:    :biggrin:

That's what I hoped to see:headbanger:

--------------------

Invisiblemandrax360
Woodchipper Deluxe
Male User Gallery

Re: cyans at night [Re: NeoSporen]
    #16223099 - 05/13/12 05:17 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Any one in the UK have luck with there Oviod patch's ?

OfflineACorvus
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: OFFICIAL U.K CYAN DISTRIBUTION THREAD [Re: libs]
    #16223516 - 05/13/12 09:36 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Finally managing to make my contribution to the local Cyan population:

About 2 weeks, the rye grains seem to promote much more aggressive growth than WBS (although the WBS jar was shaken 2 days ago).

Edited by ACorvus (05/13/12 09:45 AM)

OfflineACorvus
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: OFFICIAL U.K CYAN DISTRIBUTION THREAD [Re: ACorvus]
    #16258168 - 05/20/12 12:58 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

6 pint jars now mixed into 3 tubs with 2L of mixed Chipsi M/L/XL. When that 6L is done the next step is to expand to about 60L (maybe in 2 steps)

2 pint jars left for GLC. I know a couple of spots that might benefit from some mycelial assistance ;-).

Invisiblemandrax360
Woodchipper Deluxe
Male User Gallery

Re: OFFICIAL U.K CYAN DISTRIBUTION THREAD [Re: ACorvus]
    #16261613 - 05/21/12 06:19 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Once the myc gets a taste for them chipsi , there is no stopping it . :wink:

Offlinedaz01
Learning
I'm a teapot

Loc: Scotland
Re: OFFICIAL U.K CYAN DISTRIBUTION THREAD [Re: mandrax360]
    #16286314 - 05/26/12 12:27 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Shit guys, my Ovoid and Cyan woodchip tubs have recently sprouted these little white insect things. Are they mites that'll eat the mycelium?
What do I do??

--------------------
Pain is temporary. It may last for a minute or an hour or a day or even a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it will last forever.

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | Next > | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder