Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Big Brother's Cameras to Monitor Protests in D.C.
    #1157035 - 12/20/02 04:00 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Doesn't this go against the spirit and intention of the Bill of Rights (even if not the letter?)

CAMERAS TO MONITOR PROTESTERS
By Brian DeBose
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

The Metropolitan Police Department will activate surveillance cameras next month along city streets for the first time since city officials passed new legislation. Department officials made the announcement yesterday on their Web site, stating they would activate the network of 14 cameras and install more to monitor the International Act Now to Stop War and End Racism, or ANSWER, march from Jan. 17 to 19 and the D.C. March for Life on Jan. 22.

ANSWER officials did not return calls.

Organizations participating in the pro-life march, which has taken place in the District for 30 years, said they were not aware of surveillance plans until they were contacted by The Washington Times. Though they did not oppose the heightened security, they questioned the necessity.

"My first reaction is, what possible threat does this event pose that would call for this type of surveillance?" said Dennis Di Mauro, president of Lutherans for Life in Northern Virginia. The Rev. James I. Lamb, executive director for the group's national chapter, also questioned why police would target the march. He said he has seen no violence or problems in the six years he has been involved with the event. "There isn't any history that would lead to a suspicion of violence or trouble of any kind," he said. "But if they want to look at us, let the cameras roll."

Kevin Morison, D.C. police spokesman, said the department also will activate additional temporary cameras for the demonstration at Farragut Square, Dupont Circle, Malcolm X Park in Northwest and the Marine Barracks in Southeast. He said the department has no history of problems with either group but that event security has changed as terrorism has become more of a threat. "Our approach is we will activate the surveillance system during any major event that will attract a large number of people to the District," Mr. Morison said. "In this post-September 11 environment, we need to be cognizant of the fact that terrorists could use these events as a target or cover to attack other areas." Plans to install more cameras along the march routes on Independence Avenue SW and three other streets in Southeast have not yet been approved. The surveillance plan is based on the parade permit applications that were filed with the department. Mr. Morison said the temporary cameras will be dismantled after the events. He also said the surveillance cameras will not target individuals. At least one D.C. Council member, Jim Graham, said he was concerned about the cameras. "I am opposed to this type of surveillance because I am deathly concerned about the chilling impact on constitutionally protected expressions of freedom of speech," said Mr. Graham, the Democratic representative from Ward 1. He also said the camera surveillance will "most assuredly" discourage nonviolent protests, marches and other events from taking place in the city.

Council members passed regulations in November allowing the cameras in public places on a limited basis, but the measure did not pass without some indecision and rancor. The council initially opposed the legislation in a 7-6 vote, then voted 7-6 in favor of the measure. The regulations allow cameras to be used only for special events such as scheduled rallies, protests and marches. And they can be used only in public places where there is no expectation of privacy. Mr. Graham, who voted against the measure both times, said he opposed the legislation specifically because of this type of surveillance, though he supports using cameras in high-crime areas. "The cameras have a positive effect of dispersing entrenched criminal activity, and they deter crime," he said.

The Rev. Frank Pavone, founder and director of Priests for Life, one of the organizations in the march, said he supports anything to improve security as long as protesters maintain their freedom of speech. "This country is in a different place now," he said.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Big Brother's Cameras to Monitor Protests in D.C. [Re: Evolving]
    #1157954 - 12/20/02 11:12 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In what way?

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

Loc: Under the sea
Re: Big Brother's Cameras to Monitor Protests in D.C. [Re: ]
    #1158217 - 12/20/02 01:22 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I live within 5 miles of the Pentagon and I do not know if this is good or bad. I mean my house shook when the Pentagon was hit. I really think that DC and NY are big targets and maybe something like this is needed.

Maybe this would be useless except after the fact, in that case I would be against this. I also hate this trend towards tracking everybody and everything (see my thread about odor detectors). It is really hard to say if this is bad for DC if it stays in DC. If anybody is wanted for something you just have to be armed with this information and stay out of the city. But who is to stop it from spreading all over America? It is a new time and things are happening so fast before you know it we may all be prisoners in our own country.

For the protest what is the difference between this or 14 extra police officers station at the same points around the city?

I see the movie Gattaca around every corner of our future.

Edited by phreakyzen (12/20/02 01:25 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom