Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMikeallojee
Coolaid smile
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW WA
Agar culture
    #11574283 - 12/03/09 02:13 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Is it best to wait until the agar is completely covered with mycelium before using it to noc up wheat berries in an attempt to avoid contamination? Or is there no differnce when the culture is taken?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
Re: Agar culture [Re: Mikeallojee]
    #11574834 - 12/03/09 05:07 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

IT doesn't matter, in fact,  a clean uncontaminated area around your growth is a good indicator of the axenic nature of the middle.

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agar culture [Re: Jef]
    #11575820 - 12/03/09 12:06 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

yes - generally it is best to take from the edge of an actively growing culture.  Once the mycelium gets to the edge it is more prone to contamination as the mycelium stops growing and is then starting to get stressed as it has run out of growing space.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

Offlinegribi
Mushroom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Agar culture [Re: solumvita]
    #11576496 - 12/03/09 02:29 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I have done it both ways and didn't find much difference. I usually have a few plates going in parallel, so I can keep track of speed of colonization among other things. If a plate is full, I tend to take wedges from the origin of growth. If it's still growing, I take the best looking 'leading' edge.

--------------------
I am looking for the following edible cultures:
  • Chicken of the woods (Laetiporus sulphureus)
  • Wood blewit (Lepista nuda)
  • Cauliflower (Sparassis crispa)

My trade list of available cultures is in my Journal.

OfflineMikeallojee
Coolaid smile
Male User Gallery

Re: Agar culture [Re: gribi]
    #11580966 - 12/04/09 01:35 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Is is it best to do a swab, a knife/scapulae cut or to use a piece of wire with a small circle to get the mycelium? I have sterile cotton swabs, an exacto knife and some wires with small loops on them attached to a dowel for extra reach.

How much agar culture to inoculate a wheat berry sub strait in a quart jar two thirds full?

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

#11581022 - 12/04/09 01:46 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I think it's a matter of personal preference.  I have all tose things you mentioned, but this is what I use:

I think it's a dental instrument.  Steal one when you get your teeth cleaned.:blush:

People try to use multiple sites in each jar when they inoculate jars.  IF you have no flow hood, do just one and make it quick.

If you have a flow hood, you can tip the jar, which is only 2/3 full or so and the grains should fall toward the rim, allowing you to inoculate down the side as far as half way down or a little better.  Put another on top.  I've heard of people doing eight or ten sites.

Lazy, and not in a rush, I usually do only one.

Good growing

Jef

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

OfflineKamek
Male User Gallery

Re: Agar culture [Re: solumvita]
    #11581192 - 12/04/09 02:20 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

solumvita said:
starting to get stressed

What are you talking about??

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Re: Agar culture [Re: Kamek]
    #11581429 - 12/04/09 03:22 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

THe stressed that solumvita mentions is true, but could also be looked on as excited.

When a mycelium runs out of food, it can't grow any farther and goes into fruiting mode.  Anyone who has tried to reproduce can tell you how stressful this can be.

Stamets says there is a special situation, however, when pins form on the agar.  HE writes that at this time, the mycelium is especially vigorous (excited?) and will colonize a substrate more quickly than tissue used at different stages.

I was going to mention this special situation in my earlier post, but if you wait for it, you will be a long time without mushrooms.  It usually happens weeks or months after the mycelium reaches the agar's extremities.

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Agar culture [Re: Kamek]
    #11581685 - 12/04/09 04:31 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Kamek said:
Quote:

solumvita said:
starting to get stressed

What are you talking about??

When the mycelium runs out of space to grow it undergoes some changes moving from a vegetative to a repoductive stage.  And that's the stress.

I think Jef put it very well, telling you just how stressful trying to repdocuce can be :hehehe:

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

Invisibleratdog
wild capture trader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado mount. top
Re: Agar culture [Re: Jef]
    #11581769 - 12/04/09 04:54 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Jef said:
THe stressed that solumvita mentions is true, but could also be looked on as excited.

When a mycelium runs out of food, it can't grow any farther and goes into fruiting mode.  Anyone who has tried to reproduce can tell you how stressful this can be.

Stamets says there is a special situation, however, when pins form on the agar.  HE writes that at this time, the mycelium is especially vigorous (excited?) and will colonize a substrate more quickly than tissue used at different stages.

I was going to mention this special situation in my earlier post, but if you wait for it, you will be a long time without mushrooms.  It usually happens weeks or months after the mycelium reaches the agar's extremities.

not exactly..........

if you do a grain to agar this will happen within a week. at least for me it does.

--------------------
some people just don't get it:spank:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11241796
so here is a video or two or three for you guys:rolleyes:

OfflineMikeallojee
Coolaid smile
Male User Gallery

Re: Agar culture [Re: ratdog]
    #11592967 - 12/05/09 11:02 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

The shiitake agar fully colonized in about two weeks. Its starting to climb the jar walls. I am going to take a new culture in the morning to keep it going and then once the new culture is completed I will put some on some grain that is ready. I think I will allow the second culture to grow for a short time then add a coulpe tooth pics let them colonize then place in the fridge with h20 or mineral oil. I haven't decided which one. Maybe I will do one of each for giggles.

As for the flow hood no I don't have one maybe at some point, now I use a dead air box and shray the pudding out of it with lysol and an alcohol bath. So far no contamination which surprizes me since we live in a drafty old house with anciet carpet.

OfflineMikeallojee
Coolaid smile
Male User Gallery

#11598440 - 12/06/09 09:03 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

The agar to grain transfer is complete. I took two agar jars with shiitake culture, taking out two wedges per jar placing one wedge in the center of the grain and one on top. It sounds easier than it is, especially in a dead air box with confined space. In one grain jar both wedges ended on top, I shook the grain until it at least covered both.

On one of the clips I watched it said to place the jar lids upside down rather the way they are intented to be used. I tried this and resulted in bobbling and fumbling the lid to the bottom of the still air box. I think that the next time I do the jars I will place them on the seal side. If I had a flow hood it would make it quicker in the extraction from the agar jar to the grain spawn jar if the lid were upside down.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Laminar Flow Hood, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms