Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Amazon Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleroach6
ethnobotanist
 User Gallery
Looking for tips on buying cookware.
    #11573550 - 12/03/09 12:25 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Its time I invest some money into a good set of pots and pans but I'm really not sure what to look for in a good set. What brand names should I look at? I'm willing to spend $250-550

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: Looking for tips on buying cookware. [Re: roach6]
    #11577650 - 12/03/09 05:48 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Lodge Cast iron cookware, is what I use a lot of....http://www.lodgemfg.com/ That and a few S.Steal pots....

Is the only cookware that's good for you....

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Offlinemycochef
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11579314 - 12/03/09 09:14 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

You know what you'll see in the kitchen of most restaurants, Vollrath just good old heavy duty aluminum. Yes copper is a better conductor of heat blah, blah, blah. Go in the best kitchens in your town and look what they have. Now certian equipment require special pots and pans like induction burners. Save your money and forget those all-clad, Caphalon and alike. Do buy a nice dutch oven I do prefer Le Cruset although they are hand me downs from my mom. A well seasoned Lodge will do just as well.

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
Re: Looking for tips on buying cookware. [Re: mycochef]
    #11582738 - 12/04/09 11:18 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

you really cant beat cast iron. I bought a set of pot and pans from Walmart when I got my first place.

They we on for a while but eventually started to get little pin holes in the metal! JUNK like everything that comes out of their store.

I got a cast iron griddle that I place on my stove top across the 2 smaller burners on the left side. Works AMAZING. Especially making a grilled egg and chee. :P yum

Also for vegetraians: low iron can be a real problem. using cast iron that is properly cared for can put healthy amount of iron into your body.

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#11587034 - 12/04/09 11:43 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I have a cast-iron pan and a bunch of all-clad stuff that my parents weren't using and got for their wedding.  Its 27 years old I guess, but that shit lasts like all get out.  Cooks like a charm.  I also have one non-stick pan that I use for when Im just cooking some general bullshit and am too lazy to deal with a non non-stick pan

Offlineloggin shrooms
Stranger
Re: Looking for tips on buying cookware. [Re: Chespirito]
    #11587857 - 12/05/09 02:21 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I see you are in Canada
Get Paderno,  they have different levels of quality. get the best you can afford.  It is life time stuff, Canadian made (mostly sort of )  and I got a cupboard full that is well used.  I just started buying one or two a year until I had what I wanted.  Using my big steamer tomorrow to make tamales for a xmas party sort of get together.
Also, I noticed a while back that Costco had a pretty good looking set in for reasonable cost.
bon appetite

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

#11587956 - 12/05/09 02:48 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I wish I could find the article now...but when I first got into cooking I was trying to find out how to maximize the quality of cookware for the money I had, and I found an article that said forget getting sets. They said you basically only need 5 pieces and it was something like:

Some brand stainless stockpot, all clad stainless skillet, lodge cast iron skillet, le crueset dutch oven, some brand copper sauce pan, some brand nonstick skillet and some other brand saute pan w/ lid.

This is almost exactly what I did and I ended up with bomb cookware that works beautifully and has lasted more than anything my room mates brought home from wal-mart or whathaveyou.

I also bought two wustoff knives: one 8 inch chef's and a paring knife. I later bought a calphalon bread knife.

Get a couple cutting boards and you'll be set.

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Looking for tips on buying cookware. [Re: fazdazzle]
    #11587988 - 12/05/09 02:55 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I have a cutting board that was 4 dollars from Ikea.  Its really the lowest end of my kitchen.  I havent researched what a more expensive cutting board affords you, so until then I stick with my 4 dollar one.  I really like Wusthof knives.  I went to Sur La Table, and felt that the Shuns were really no sharper than the Wusthofs.  The Globals though were ridiculously sharp, noticeably sharper than the other brands there but that handle is not functional.  I wish I could try the Macs though, no one seems to sell them in stores

OfflineHotMess
Stranger
Re: Looking for tips on buying cookware. [Re: Chespirito]
    #11596284 - 12/06/09 03:50 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Here is what i use in the kitchen.  It was pretty cheap besides the all-clad, but the all clad is first of all a really great pan, and second it has a lifetime guarantee.  The way it transfers heat is perfect for hot sauteeing so i had to have it.

pots/pans:
Cheap Steel Dutch Oven (got this from my mom for free) make sure it has a lid that fits good.  Good for boiling pasta and other simple things like that.

Lodge Cast Iron Enamel Dutch Oven $50 off amazon.  This is probably my favorite pan besides my sauttee.  It's extremely durable, combining all the best parts of cast iron (heat retention and even heat transfer) with an enamel coating gives you the best of both worlds.  Now if only it weighed less.  This thing is great for making no-knead bread.  If you don't know what it is then google it.  It's the best way of making bread at home and makes the best bread i ever tasted.
This pan is also great for making soups and stews, chili, caramelized onions, tomato sauce.  It's pretty much great for everything.

All Clad Stainless Steel Sauttee, $100 off amazon
Basically the best sauttee pan ever.  Gets button mushrooms a caramel golden orange/brown.  Beautifully even transfer of heat from your burner.

Some Little Sauce Pan w/ glass lid, free from my grandma: Just make sure the lid fits tight.  I use this for making rice and heating up a little red sauce.  You could use it to braise small things like bracciole or quail, too.  Good for boiling water for tea.

Wusthof 10' chefs knife, full tang: $60 off amazon:  I pretty much only use this on special occasions but it is sharp as hell!  Nothing beats chopping vegetables with a full tang chefs knife.  Wusthof is my favorite brand but you can get cheaper ones.  Whips through oyster and button mushrooms like they are air.  I just tap the tip on the cutting board real fast and move my fingers back, the knife does everything.

Honing steel $15: Don't use sharpeners that will grind down your blades.  Use a honing steel to bring your knifes edge back in line as sharp as the day you got it.

Wusthof Pairing knife $10 off amazon:  Great for small things like peeling ginger, sharp as hell.

Wusthof Stamped 8' santoku and wusthof bread knife:  Cheap stamped knives for simple applications.  The santoku is my daily chopper when i don't feel like busting out my full tang.  Again use a HONING STEEL on these and not a SHARPNER.  Knives only need to be sharpened rarely.

Mirro 22qt pressure cooker
Cheap plastic cutting board
Wood spoons.  WOOD.  NOT PLASTIC!

That's pretty much everything important in my kitchen.

My first post, sup shroomery.

OfflineFarfignewton
Doppelgänger
Male

Loc: Ouroboroses Tail End.
    #11596879 - 12/06/09 05:13 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Some of the best cookware I have ever used in a home-entertainment and professional cooking environment is hands down 'All-Clad', the pieces tend to be expensive however, but they're well built, high quality, aesthetically pleasing equipment that doesn't fail; you may be able to go online and get a cooking set of 2-3 pieces for the price you're looking for, though you might want to try other gear. I've also cooked with Cuisinart, and they're high quality too; I'd be careful of using teflon surfaces, because if scratched it can be harmful to your health and can ruin the pan entirely, so you may want to keep teflon coated pans separate of all other pans, or use pan-dividers to prevent that from happening.

--------------------
"Sparkling Green Tea Ginger Ale is twelve fluid ounces of wet-dreams in a can!"

OfflineHotMess
Stranger
Re: Looking for tips on buying cookware. [Re: Farfignewton]
    #11598711 - 12/06/09 09:39 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Definately purchase the largest sauttee pan from all-clad that you can afford, but it would probably be better and cheaper for things like sauce pans or dutch ovens to purchase from other companies, simply because you don't need that quality for those applications.  I actually prefer the lodge dutch oven to anything that allclad makes because it will retain more heat.
Nothing can replace an all clad sauttee pan, though.  It's absolutely perfect for sautteeing mushrooms, fish, chicken cutlet, steak, or things like that.  Everything about it is just great and i couldn't be happier.

If i had that money i'd spend it like this:
Largest all clad sauttee you can get: around 100
Lodge cast iron dutch oven: around 50
Cheapo non stick saucepan with glass lid: 20 bucks
Cheapo stainless steel dutch oven: 20 bucks
Stamped wusthof 10' chefs: 20-30 bucks
WOOD spoons: 10 bucks

~220 dollars

90% of the money should go towards the sauttee pan and the dutch oven, you can skimp on the other stuff because it's not as sensitive in my experience.
Good luck!

OfflineFarfignewton
Doppelgänger
Male

Loc: Ouroboroses Tail End.
Re: Looking for tips on buying cookware. [Re: HotMess]
    #11599891 - 12/07/09 12:35 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HotMess said:

Nothing can replace an all clad sauttee pan, though.  It's absolutely perfect for sautteeing mushrooms, fish, chicken cutlet, steak, or things like that.  Everything about it is just great and i couldn't be happier.

I second that. I would say that if you're going to get pans in general, I'd go All-Clad, but some of their stuff, you simply don't need because there are other companies you can get it from, that specialize in that particular product, for cheaper.

--------------------
"Sparkling Green Tea Ginger Ale is twelve fluid ounces of wet-dreams in a can!"

Invisibleroach6
ethnobotanist
 User Gallery

Re: Looking for tips on buying cookware. [Re: Farfignewton]
    #11600124 - 12/07/09 01:21 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Right now I'm looking at these sets:

Paderno® 'Harmony' 11-piece Cookware Set $399.99 http://www.sears.ca/product/paderno-harmony-11-piece-cookware-set/11131200?ptag=1

Paderno® 'Copperline' 11-piece Cookware Set $299.99
http://www.sears.ca/product/paderno-copperline-11-piece-cookware-set/11137710?ptag=1

10-pc. Cookware Set All-Clad, Master-Chef 2 $529.95
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=10065
+ free dutch oven

If I end up going with one of the Paderno sets I will pick up an All-Clad saute pan.

OfflineHotMess
Stranger
    #11601455 - 12/07/09 09:00 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

The thing about sets is, i prefer to have different materials for different applications.  A stainless steel dutch oven isn't the same as a cast iron dutch oven w/ enamel.  It conducts heat differently and holds heat differently, also you can get cast iron/enamel for much cheaper than the all-clad stainless dutch oven.

The all-clad set does look really beautiful.  I want a saucier like in that set.  That might be my next purchase.

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

Re: Looking for tips on buying cookware. [Re: HotMess]
    #11607502 - 12/08/09 12:53 AM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HotMess said:
The thing about sets is, i prefer to have different materials for different applications.  A stainless steel dutch oven isn't the same as a cast iron dutch oven w/ enamel.  It conducts heat differently and holds heat differently, also you can get cast iron/enamel for much cheaper than the all-clad stainless dutch oven.

The all-clad set does look really beautiful.  I want a saucier like in that set.  That might be my next purchase.

Exactly.

Thats why, to roach6, I would serious stress picking up individual pieces. You probably won't use all the pieces in the set. You'll wind up using just a few and then there might end up being a pan of a different material that you will want to get later. With this system you'll have all high quality pieces for the same price of a set of lower quality pieces.

But really, a cast-iron enameled le crueset dutch oven has no substitute.

OfflineJohnAdams123
Stranger
    #19679134 - 03/11/14 02:34 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

You can go for ceramic coating cookware like supreme ceramic.It helps to make cook food easily and fast.
Thanks

Offliner00tuuu123
Now I'm just really piseed
 User Gallery

Loc: I'll be there in a minute
    #19679733 - 03/11/14 07:54 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

roach6 said:
Its time I invest some money into a good set of pots and pans but I'm really not sure what to look for in a good set. What brand names should I look at? I'm willing to spend $250-550

Allclad stainless All you need is a 10 inch sautee a 12 inch stock pot and a 12 inch wok type pan PM me I live about a mile from the factory. best stuff around other than cast.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Looking for tips on buying cookware. [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #19680048 - 03/11/14 11:12 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Cast iron, learn to season it well.

All clad is good.

Ceramic has it's uses - I have a small saute from Henkel.

I also stress buying individual pieces.

I bought a "scanpan" which is a non teflon, nonstick - and it works pretty good, not as good as tfal. Pretty expensive. Glad i have it, probably wouldn't buy it again.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleComputerTekGuy
Teh Awesome
Male User Gallery

Re: Looking for tips on buying cookware. [Re: PDU]
    #19682473 - 03/11/14 09:15 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

I have everything from cheap aluminum, Cast iron, ceramic coated, to a 100$ H&K.

Some things like pots, I have in a set. Everything else is for what I like, use, and need.

Mix and match, dont be afraid to buy use, especially if it's commercial grade pans

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #19683423 - 03/12/14 12:49 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Staub, enameled cast iron. Much better quality than le creuset, has a better lid and fit.

Mauviel stainless saute pan (copper if you can afford it) but they do make normal stainless bodied saute pans. Sur La Table has them. All Clad is overrated and their quality is not as good as most people here seem to say it is (I've worked in restaurants that used them and the rarely lasted more than a few months of heavy restaurant use)

these two brands are very expensive, but if you're me, you shouldn't need to buy another one for the rest of your life. If you are serious about cooking, then buy the best you can afford, it DOES make a difference.

My custom ordered vermicular 22cm dutch oven is on its way from japan, 14 months and waiting, should be here in two weeks. Best enameled cast iron cookware in the world.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Amazon Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing