Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerico357
journeyman

steralization with a microwave
    #1156003 - 12/19/02 05:47 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i have read the faq dealing with steralizing substrate using a microwave oven: http://shroomery.org/faq/faq.php?display=faq&nr=17&catnr=12&prog=1&lang=en

and i am curious if there is anyone here who has tried it.
i would love to hear from anyone who has had success steralizing brf/verm cakes using a microwave.
i just tried to steralize using a pot with a lid on it, and i got 100 percent contamination. prolly from some other unsterile process, but.....
all my jars ended up being blue within 2 days. it started out as a creamy looking, off-white color, not concentrated in any particular area, then it quickly turned to a bluish-green color, so i wanna try this microwave tek to see if it works any better.

i don't have a pc, and i think i may have used too much water in my pot (filled it with water until it was half way up the jars). should i just try it again, or try using the microwave?

any opinions would be greatly appreciated, and yes, i know that a pc is the way to go, but i don't have one. and neither do any of the "good-will", "salvation army" stores in my area. there were none in wally world, and only a few in k-mart (that looked pretty shitty, and they were small too)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
Re: steralization with a microwave [Re: rico357]
    #1156028 - 12/19/02 06:02 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

well, if the pot didnt help u, the microwave is not gonna help you for sure.

some bacteria need an amount of time under extreme conditions (heat and pressure) to be exterminated. I am sorry to dissapoint you, but i dont think u can sterilize with your microwave oven.

u need to improve your methods. pf cakes can be sterilized in pot with lid

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

Offlinerico357
journeyman

Re: steralization with a microwave [Re: kykeon]
    #1156041 - 12/19/02 06:07 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

no worries, i'm not disappointed.
i'm just always looking for an easier way.
looks like i just have to be more careful.
btw, do you think i used too much water in the pot?
i put aluminum foil in the jars with the dry verm layer on top of it, then i wrapped the foil down the outside of the jar and screwed the lid on, not too tight, but tight.
when i took the jars out of the pot, there was water in the folds of the foil. i think that maybe water got inside the jars to the dry verm layer and wicked in some contams. :-(

i'll do better next time, i promise.

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1156248 - 12/19/02 07:22 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i have sterilized a resent batch of b/f/r in the micro wave.
and all is going well so far.i just nuked 1 min left 1 min nuked one min
left one min  until the containers had had 5 mins.There not jars  though
but plastic sandwich containersbut there could still be contams but so far just good old white mycelium.
i also tryed nuking millet as i dont have a pressure cooker yet but it explodes :frown:
edit:i didnt need to add any extra h2o(like the faq says) as the containers  had the lid half on
so the water vapour just collects as condensation on the lid then after nuking while still hot push the lid on so it seals and leave tocool some were.
the good thing i found useing micro waverbal plastic is its also easy to inject straight through the lid no pre made holes needed.
so thats out lol. 

--------------------
er

Edited by G a n j a (12/19/02 07:28 PM)

OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

Loc: Greece
    #1156398 - 12/19/02 08:23 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i sterilize with the boiling method with a pot. i had 100% success in my last try. and it was just the 3rd time i cultivate;-)
sth that might help you is this: let the jars cool in the pot with the lid on!
at the beginning i let them cool outside the pot and always had contams. when i let them cool in the pot with the lid on i had 0 contams!

Edited by Hamurabi (12/19/02 08:25 PM)

Offlinerico357
journeyman

Re: steralization with a microwave [Re: Hamurabi]
    #1158936 - 12/20/02 06:51 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

thanks everyone for his/her help. i just bought a new pc for 26 buck brand new. it's only 6 qts. but i think this will be better than what i tried before.
hey ganja, lol on learning what millet does in the microwave. sorry bout that. lol. :wink:

Edited by rico357 (12/20/02 06:53 PM)

OfflineDSD
devil

Loc: Bad,Bad person - minus ...
    #1159053 - 12/20/02 07:37 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

where did you get a pc so cheap? and how big is it?

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: steralization with a microwave [Re: DSD]
    #1159062 - 12/20/02 07:41 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

and how big is it?

Did you read rico357's post? It's 6 qt.

Edited by daussaulit (12/20/02 07:41 PM)

Offlinerico357
journeyman

Re: steralization with a microwave [Re: DSD]
    #1159158 - 12/20/02 08:32 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

this is what i got. http://www.dreamretail.com/SV000042500560.html i'm guessing that this item was on sale at the store i went to cause maybe it's an out of season item. it was marked 25 bucks (USD). i got the 6 qt. one.

i hope this doesn't count as posting a source, but i got it at Rose's. PLEEEEAZE don't ban me if this does count as posting a source, please just delete it, and let me know. thanks.

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

#1159161 - 12/20/02 08:33 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

thats gr8, rico! :smile:

now with the pc, you can do many many things... u can even prepare agar :wink:

good luck 

--------------------

Offlinerico357
journeyman

Re: steralization with a microwave [Re: kykeon]
    #1159163 - 12/20/02 08:35 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, aaaaaagaar.

now all i have to do is read about what agar is. lol. but, first, i want to try the simplest stuff first. lol.

do ya'll think that this pc is big enough, or whatever it needs to be, to do so many good things? what i mean is, was it a good buy? i saw one that was pretty much the exact same thing, but it had a metal thing with holes in it that went in the bottom. i know what id does (displaces heat evenly) but i don't know what it is called. i figured i'd just use a rag or something on the bottom and save 20 bucks. also, i saw another one that had a little swith or something on the handle, i guess it locked the lid in place or something, but it was like 80 bucks. i said FUCK THAT! so, i guess i just answered my own question. lol. and to think i just spent all this time editing my own post, just to answer my own shit. LOL. oh well, at least there's a little more for each of you to read.  :cool: :wink: :tongue:

Edited by rico357 (12/20/02 08:39 PM)

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

#1159236 - 12/20/02 09:45 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

now all i have to do is read about what agar is. lol 

lol i just said that a pc is necessary for serious work. now, the first step is done, you have it :wink:

Quote:

what i mean is, was it a good buy? 

well, what you really need is a pressure cooker that works ok. fancy stuff sometimes cause mess and you dont need them. you just need temp+pressure and i am pretty sure you are gonna be fine :smile:

Quote:

at least there's a little more for each of you to read 

cool. and i was wondering, what can i do to spend the weekend? :grin: LOL 

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom