Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMojo_Risin
Man

Loc: United States of America ...
Acupuncture
    #1155697 - 12/19/02 05:53 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'm currently taking acupuncture sessions and drinking herbs for my colitis. I am very glad i took upon acupuncture as it is providing me an all natural medical alternative to the chemical medical world that I'm surrounded by. I find Chinese medicine to be fascinating, it dates back more than 3000 years. Its very underrated in the Western hemisphere for some unknown reason, possibly the loss of money that antibiotic medical monopoly would lose if this alternative was more widely used. According to my professor, in China, acupuncture & herbs are the only medical choice available to the public since the communist government strongly disregards the use of anti-bio tics and other artificial medicines. I think acupressure is also commonly used.

Has anyone ever taken upon this medicine? Has it helped? It sure has helped me. Can anyone give strong details on how acupuncture works and about its begginings in history? I think acupuncture is one of the greatest finds in human history. So lets hear what you all have to say..

--------------------
Fear    attracts  energy  that can expose one to be coerced. Learn to overcome fear and develop enlightenment.

Freedom Equality Justice (3 of 12 Jewels of Life)

Nov.11th Veterans Ron Paul Moneybomb...www.Ronpaul2012.com

Check out campaignforliberty.com

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Acupuncture [Re: Mojo_Risin]
    #1155799 - 12/19/02 06:28 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

sounds like it feels really damn good.

--------------------
What?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1155872 - 12/19/02 06:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I am very glad i took upon acupuncture as it is providing me an all natural medical alternative

It may work for you, but sticking highly refined and machined metals in your body can hardly be considered a natural remedy. That is no different than being cut open with an "all-natural" scalpel.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1156030 - 12/19/02 08:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I recently read a book called Encounters with Qi that dealt mainly with acupuncture and other traditional Chinese medicine. It was written by a doctor of Western medecine who went to China to learn their medical techniques and the theories behind them.

The basis behind acupuncture (and all Chinese medical techniques) is the concept of Qi (pronounced "Chee"). Qi is what the Chinese believe to be the "vital life force" or "life energy" that resides in human beings. They believe that any illness or disease is caused by an imbalance of Qi in the body.

The Chinese believe that Qi flows through the body through an intricate system of what are called meridians. Basically, by inserting a needle in a certain point, the acupuncturist opens meridians that may have been blocked, or redirects Qi to the area that has an imbalance. Usually, the needle will be inserted and twisted until the patient "obtains the Qi." There is supposedly some sort of sensation that occurs that lets the patient know when the Qi has been obtained.

One of the more interesting anecdotes from the book I read was a case of acupuncture anesthesia that the author witnessed. A Chinese patient was undergoing some sort of surgical procedure, and instead of inducing anesthesia with drugs, the doctors simply used several well-placed needles. The needles were inserted somewhere in the forehead region, and the patient underwent the operation without any pain whatsoever.

Even if you do not believe in the Qi theory, this account seems to prove that acupuncture works somehow. The Chinese have been practicing it, like you said, for well over 3,000 years. They have begun to assimilate some modern Western medical practices into their country, but the majority of Chinese people still prefer to receive traditional treatments for their ailments.

The book I read contained a lot more details and interesting stories about Qi, acupuncture, and other Chinese medical treatments. There are even people in China called Qi Gong masters who can supposedly emit external Qi at will. The book talked about experiments that the author witnessed in which Qi Gong masters caused objects to move and even lit a lightbulb with their external Qi. It was a really interesting account of what he learned and experienced in China, and I would highly suggest reading it if you want to know more.

How did you go about finding a place to get acupuncture treatments? Did the acupuncturist explain the concept behind acupuncture to you, or did he/she just stick the needles in you? I think it's great that you tried this alternative and that it is actually working for you!

I am not a big fan of pills and stuff like that either, but I don't necessarily agree that they are "artificial." Many of our modern medecines come from fungi or plant sources. Penicillin, in fact, is actually a mold and it is one of our most common antiobiotics. Acupuncture is great if it works, but don't give up completely on Western medicine!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (12/19/02 11:08 PM)

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
You are under arrest!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Urban Jungle
Re: Acupuncture [Re: Swami]
    #19042606 - 10/27/13 10:34 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

All natural stainless steel needles. :lmafo:

--------------------

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Re: Acupuncture [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #19042826 - 10/27/13 11:17 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Imagining the insertion into flesh of long thin flexible spikes induces mental mapping strategies that once activated create a state of humility that induce relaxation that lets the body heal itself. So does bumping old threads. :insert thin flexible suitable smiley here:

You are under arrest!
Male User Gallery

Re: Acupuncture [Re: falcon]
    #19043042 - 10/28/13 12:12 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

True story (no link): A light bulb blowing up in a Russian factory worker's face led to the practice of keratotomy for correcting near-sightedness. Small glass fragments entered the workers corneas, and when removed and healed his vision got much better.

This is sort of how acupuncture works. When the practitioner removes those goddamned irritating needles, the patient instantly feels gratitude and decreased pain.

--------------------

InvisibleRahz
Dead Gone Forgotten
Male

#19043311 - 10/28/13 01:15 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Not just that but 30 minute naps are refreshing.:thumbup:

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

“Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.”

You are under arrest!
Male User Gallery

Re: Acupuncture [Re: Rahz]
    #19043746 - 10/28/13 02:56 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I usually need a nap after 'puncturing' an Asian nurse.

--------------------

InvisibleRahz
Dead Gone Forgotten
Male

#19043950 - 10/28/13 03:57 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Clever pun for a cheap titty insertion, but well played. I tried acupuncture once. Laying in a strange but pleasant room half naked listening to soft music was nice, but oddly it was the needles which stymied my propensity for doing something other than lying perfectly still. Upon flexing the body enough to realize the implications of movement in such a state it became very easy to relax all those muscles. I would suggest a deep tissue or perhaps Swedish massage as a median between acupuncture and nurse puncturing. :stoned:

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

“Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.”

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology