Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Loc: Tipping at windmills.
For those in the Brain Chemistry "know" -
    #11554561 - 11/30/09 11:46 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Any speculation on what effects, short and long, taking a very small dose of Psilocybin/Psilocin every day would do to a persons body/brain?

I understand it affects the seretonin uptake, which seems like it could be a bad thing.  But then again, there are lots of mass-produced prescribed drugs out there that do the same kind of thing...

--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetony serro
DEA Agent
Male

Loc: Montreal
Re: For those in the Brain Chemistry "know" - [Re: ShockValue]
    #11554585 - 11/30/09 11:52 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do anything in small doses that'll cause physical harm and its the 5HT1A agonism that worries most people I've never seen any studies mentioning it works as an SSRI are you sure about that?

--------------------
The most thoroughly and relentlessly damned, banned, excluded, condemned, suppressed,brutalized and defamed of all Damned Things is the individual human being. The social engineers, are perpetually forcing this Damned Thing into carefully prepared blueprints and perpetually irritated that the Damned Thing will not fit into the slot assigned to it. The theologians call it a sinner and try to reform it The governor calls it a criminal and tries to punish it The psychotherapist calls it a neurotic and tries to cure it. Still, the Damned Thing will not fit into their slots. -Robert Anton Wilson

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Re: For those in the Brain Chemistry "know" - [Re: tony serro]
    #11554612 - 11/30/09 11:59 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

No, I'm not sure about that.  Just came up a couple places when I was googling for "how does it work..." :smile:

--------------------

Invisiblekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
    #11554758 - 11/30/09 12:30 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I think you need to do the experiment and publish a diary here. Either you'll be fine or you'll be posting about the little green dwarves living in your cupboard in a month or two.

Do it. FOR SCIENCE!!!

Offlinetony serro
DEA Agent
Male

Re: For those in the Brain Chemistry "know" - [Re: koppie]
    #11554805 - 11/30/09 12:39 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well I;ve seen people google how it works and come up with answers like "shrooms make your brain bleed cause they;re a neurotoxin" or "they work by causing food poisoning that your body has to fight off" don't google things read medical journals but i misunderstood what you said I'm guessing your question was just on how it affects the serotonin system and not the SERT transporter... As for taking it everyday I'm not 100% sure but I'm sure it won't do anything, I don't haven;t read much on the long term effects of fucking with the 5HT1A receptor as I never imagined to be in a position where I wanted to  take psychedelics every day.

--------------------
The most thoroughly and relentlessly damned, banned, excluded, condemned, suppressed,brutalized and defamed of all Damned Things is the individual human being. The social engineers, are perpetually forcing this Damned Thing into carefully prepared blueprints and perpetually irritated that the Damned Thing will not fit into the slot assigned to it. The theologians call it a sinner and try to reform it The governor calls it a criminal and tries to punish it The psychotherapist calls it a neurotic and tries to cure it. Still, the Damned Thing will not fit into their slots. -Robert Anton Wilson

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
    #11554911 - 11/30/09 12:58 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

He's just talking about a small amount every day though... I assume that means something equivalent to a couple tenths of a gram of cubes?

It's possible that after a few days, it wouldn't do much at all, since your body will compensate with tolerance. On the other hand, that compensation might have some slight peripheral effects of it's own.

I think the only real way to find out is to try it.  It wouldn't surprise me if a regular low dose exerted a nootropic effect similar to hydergine.

As to long-term effects, who really knows. Probably nothing major?:justdontknow:

OfflineSouthern Smoke
Stranger

Re: For those in the Brain Chemistry "know" - [Re: Entropymancer]
    #11555051 - 11/30/09 01:20 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

McKenna states in his theory of evolution that in earlier times Man, as well as animals would use psilocybin, which, in small doses increases your visual acuity.  He states something along the lines that it was beneficial, if not quite necessary at that point in time for the survival for the consumer of the mushroom because it could help one spot predators, but also spot prey. 

So, i would just say it would give you sharper focus.  But like previously stated, being that it does toy with the serotonin receptors in your brain AND the fact that for many years psilocybin has only been used in moderation i would seek out advice from someone better educated than myself, or even better- information from medical journals (also previously stated). 

For Science!

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

#11555088 - 11/30/09 01:24 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I've come into an "assload" (technical term) of some Stuntzii's, and it just prompted the question "What if I did a small amount of these everyday...."

--------------------

OfflineStatisticons_win
Stranger

Re: For those in the Brain Chemistry "know" - [Re: Southern Smoke]
    #11555093 - 11/30/09 01:24 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

What is McKenna's source material?

--------------------

Offlinetony serro
DEA Agent
Male

Re: For those in the Brain Chemistry "know" - [Re: Statisticons_win]
    #11555127 - 11/30/09 01:28 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know how many mushrooms your talking about either and even if you told me I couldn't help you as I;ve never picked my own shrooms or known the strain I was taking (I get all mine from either dealers or friends who bought them off someone else) and the dosage varies but yea how does mckenna know of things that happened before history was recorded?

--------------------

OfflineSouthern Smoke
Stranger

#11555140 - 11/30/09 01:30 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe somebody else knows something i don't, as i am not the MOST knowledgeable about McKenna

But McKenna is a "think-tank", a philosopher.
I'm pretty certain this is mostly theory.

Of course, there's always cave paintings and such to back some stuff up.  Hope that helps!

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
    #11555164 - 11/30/09 01:33 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Several scientific studies have been done on the effect of psilocybin on visual acuity (Google Scholar link)

His source that ancient man consumed psilocybian mushrooms for survival-related purposes is his own speculation. Which of course doesn't mean it didn't happen, but in the absence of any evidence, it's impossible to even speculate on the probability that it did occur.

Offlinebatheinthefountain
ॐ ॐ ॐ
Male

Loc: Germany
    #11555213 - 11/30/09 01:38 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

would cause "false" connections of the synapses, which would lead to a false main focus of the synapses.
The brain would be "traineD"with the abbility of the perceptions you make while on shrooms.
So more important regions in the brain would get neglected.

just my idea :shrug:

Offlinetony serro
DEA Agent
Male

#11555220 - 11/30/09 01:39 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not saying he might not be right but when people who take psychedelic's say things that they pulled out of their ass and present them as fact it just increases all the "they make you go crazy" theories already out there.

--------------------

Offlinetony serro
DEA Agent
Male

Re: For those in the Brain Chemistry "know" - [Re: batheinthefountain]
    #11555240 - 11/30/09 01:42 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

batheinthefountain said:
would cause "false" connections of the synapses, which would lead to a false main focus of the synapses.
The brain would be "traineD"with the abbility of the perceptions you make while on shrooms.
So more important regions in the brain would get neglected.

just my idea :shrug:

A synapse is the gap between the cell that the ligand is released into to communicate with the following cell and where's your evidence proving that because you were involved psychologically in perceptions your physical brain's ability to function would be reduced? I've never heard of anything like that.

--------------------

Offlinethetonebone72
Hunter -Gatherer
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #11555243 - 11/30/09 01:42 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

With regards to wood loving psilocybes, Stamets says in "Growing Gourmet & Medicinal Mushrooms" :

Anecdotal reports received by this author suggest a few venues for possible medical research. An elderly friend suffering from a chronic hearing degeneration told me that small amounts of these mushrooms, too small to cause intoxication, had a remarkably positive effect on his hearing. Residual effects would carry over for several days. He urged me to tell others of his experiences.

--------------------
Hunt On, Good Fellow

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
    #11555246 - 11/30/09 01:43 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I definitely agree.  I enjoy the aesthetics of Terence's ideas tremendously... but aesthetic value is not generally an indicator of truth.

OfflineStatisticons_win
Stranger

#11555291 - 11/30/09 01:48 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I wasn't doubting the idea that small dosages accentuate visual acuity.  After all, let us consider the physiology of seeing visuals.

I was more or less suggesting that McKenna is hardly the person you want to cite as a source material or as anything suggesting the original posters idea is a good one.  It just didn't want him being like, "oh, so McKenna ate drugs everyday and died from brain cancer, I think I'll do it."

Caution is in order.  that is all.

--------------------

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

#11555333 - 11/30/09 01:53 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You don't have to worry about me doing something like this based on a casual conversation on this forum :smile: 

Obviously a little more research is in order...

--------------------

OfflineStatisticons_win
Stranger

#11555348 - 11/30/09 01:55 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

lol,

yeah, i mean I know you aren't a fool.

I don't know why that post annoyed me.

I supose I just wnated a reason to attack McKenna.

sorry for abusing your thread.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains