Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineTaco Chef
I found dead John Cheever
Male User Gallery

Loc: the city of dis
greek/roman drug use
    #11541783 - 11/28/09 09:38 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestarfire_xes
I Am 'They'
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dallas with all the assho...
Re: greek/roman drug use [Re: Taco Chef]
    #11541794 - 11/28/09 09:39 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

South American Indians >>>> Greeks/Romans 2000 years ago.  The Indians did shrooms, cactus, peyote, smoked weed, DMT Vine, and who knows what else.

--------------------
:smug: [/url][/url] 
:smirk: IF THE NEIGHBORS COMPLAIN BECAUSE THE MUSIC'S TOO LOUD, TURN IT UP SO YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM BITCH    :smirk:

OfflineTaco Chef
Male User Gallery

#11541798 - 11/28/09 09:40 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Drugs, Sex, Magic
Classical literature abounds with sorcerers, magicians, and witches. Translators rarely reveal that their power stemmed from their great expertise in drugs. Sorcerers were classical drug dealers and the effects of drugs were seen as magical in those times. Drugs and magic were one.
Medea, the wife of Jason the Argonaut, is frequently portrayed as a witch. She aided Jason by putting fire-breathing bulls asleep and giving him amazing courage. Hillman shows how translators mistranslate polypharmakon and pharmaka to present her as being skilled in the “magical arts” and a possessor of “charms.” Medea was actually “drug-savvy” and possessed “drugs.” She gave the bulls and Jason drugs, not spells.
Sorcerers were honored and respected members of society. They and the more run-of-the-mill drug sellers, “root cutters,” had to know how to extract desired chemicals from plants and animals. This was an exact science for the wrong amount or the wrong extraction could kill. For example, mandrake in minute doses could generate euphoria and stimulate libido, at low doses it was an anesthetic, and at regular doses it was lethal.
Symposia and Spiked Wine
The Greeks and Romans favored method of drug administration was to mix them with wine. This has allowed history teachers to present ancient revelers as merely drinkers – not “illegal drug” users. As the scholar, Dr. Carl A.P. Ruck has written:
Ancient wine, like the wine of most early peoples, did not contain alcohol as its sole inebrient but was ordinarily a variable infusion of herbal toxins in a vinous liquid. Unguents, spices, and herbs, all with recognized psychotropic properties, could be added to the wine. (pp. 176-177)

This gives an entirely different purview of the Greek symposia. At these “riotous drinking parties” great minds like Socrates and Plato debated and developed their theories on the great philosophical questions. Another clue tells even more. Altered states of consciousness were viewed as divinely provided madness. Plato wrote:
But he who without divine madness comes to the doors of the Muses, confident that he will be a good poet by art, meets with no success, and the poetry of the sane man vanishes into nothingness before that of the inspired madmen. (p. 177)

Source:
D.C.A. Hillman, The Chemical Muse: Drug Use and the Roots of Western Civilization (2008).

http://suburra.com/blog/2009/11/16/classical-drug-use-greek-and-roman-drug-freedom/

--------------------

OfflineLucidx
No longer a stranger

Loc: Mars...
Re: greek/roman drug use [Re: starfire_xes]
    #11541833 - 11/28/09 09:47 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

starfire_xes said:
South American Indians >>>> Greeks/Romans 2000 years ago.  The Indians did shrooms, cactus, peyote, smoked weed, DMT Vine, and who knows what else.

Thats what intruiges me most, I bet theres a ton of plants down there with psychoactive properties just waiting to be discovered. Maybe some more potent than DMT even

--------------------
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada

InvisibleHappyTrippin
Instrument of Soul

Re: greek/roman drug use [Re: Lucidx]
    #11541840 - 11/28/09 09:47 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Only one way to find out.
We must quest to find the perfect salad.

--------------------
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love. of truth. of light, and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me. We are one.

InvisibleDynoo
-
 User Gallery

Loc: - Flag
Re: greek/roman drug use [Re: HappyTrippin]
    #11541866 - 11/28/09 09:53 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

a 16 page paper on the subject if you want a good read

http://www.janushead.org/7-1/Arata.pdf

--------------------
-

OfflineTaco Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: greek/roman drug use [Re: Dynoo]
    #11541895 - 11/28/09 09:59 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for the article!

--------------------

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #11541959 - 11/28/09 10:09 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

just imagine what human civilization might be if those stinky xtians didn't take down rome!!

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineTaco Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: greek/roman drug use [Re: TODAY]
    #11541994 - 11/28/09 10:17 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

a far better world than we have now.

--------------------

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11542015 - 11/28/09 10:21 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

TODAY said:
just imagine what human civilization might be if those stinky xtians didn't take down rome!!

all you can do is imagine cause the world would no longer exist had that been the case

Offlinebardleyrichard
My Keyboard Got Damaged
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio Flag
Re: greek/roman drug use [Re: Life Upon Death]
    #11542124 - 11/28/09 10:40 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Life Upon Death said:all you can do is imagine cause the world would no longer exist had that been the case

:confused:

--------------------
I find myself yearning for clouds returning, all that the rain promises, and more...

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: greek/roman drug use [Re: bardleyrichard]
    #11542137 - 11/28/09 10:42 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

bardleyrichard said:
Quote:

Life Upon Death said:all you can do is imagine cause the world would no longer exist had that been the case

:confused:

lul

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11542253 - 11/28/09 11:03 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

for the record

Rome merged with the Church and ended up infecting it with a lot of bullshit

when you can't beat em, join em

The reign of Constantine established a precedent for the position of the emperor in the Christian Church. Constantine himself disliked the risks to societal stability, that religious disputes and controversies brought with them, preferring where possible to establish an orthodoxy.[201] The emperor saw it as his duty to ensure that God was properly worshipped in his empire, and what proper worship consisted of was for the Church to determine.[202] In 316, Constantine acted as a judge in a North African dispute concerning the validity of Donatism. After deciding against the Donatists, Constantine led an army of Christians against the Donatist Christians. After 300 years of pacifism, this was the first intra-Christian persecution. More significantly, in 325 he summoned the Council of Nicaea, effectively the first Ecumenical Council (unless the Council of Jerusalem is so classified), Nicaea was to deal mostly with the heresy of Arianism. Constantine also enforced the prohibition of the First Council of Nicaea against celebrating Easter on the day before the Jewish Passover (14 Nisan) (see Quartodecimanism and Easter controversy).[203]

Constantine made new laws regarding the Jews. They were forbidden to own Christian slaves or to circumcise their slaves.

the Catholic Church is the product of Rome and the church merging

OfflineTaco Chef
Male User Gallery

#11542354 - 11/28/09 11:24 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

for the record:

constatine was the emperor of the eastern roman empire, and many many many years from the glory of rome... christianity was sadly the final poison in that great and noble culture....

to call the roman catholic church a merging or rome and 'the church' merging is a gross over simplification and reduction of that historical process.

--------------------

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
    #11542431 - 11/28/09 11:42 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i don't believe anything people tell me about history unless they've got a primary source in their hands.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Invisibledr_gonz

. [Re: Taco Chef]
    #11542477 - 11/28/09 11:50 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineTaco Chef
Male User Gallery

Re: greek/roman drug use [Re: dr_gonz]
    #11542532 - 11/28/09 12:05 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

next time i see my dealer i'm going to call him a root-cutter.

--------------------

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: greek/roman drug use [Re: HappyTrippin]
    #11543911 - 11/28/09 04:17 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

HappyTrippin said:
Only one way to find out.
We must quest to find the perfect salad.

:rotfl:

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11543950 - 11/28/09 04:26 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

novumorganum said:
for the record:

constatine was the emperor of the eastern roman empire, and many many many years from the glory of rome... christianity was sadly the final poison in that great and noble culture....

to call the roman catholic church a merging or rome and 'the church' merging is a gross over simplification and reduction of that historical process.

the Romans were brutal dictators

Offlinethemostpurple
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#11543959 - 11/28/09 04:28 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

novumorganum said:
next time i see my dealer i'm going to call him a root-cutter.

hehe, that would be a clever way

"oh i'll catch you guys later i need to get my remedy from the root cutter, hes got some DANK purple nugs"

--------------------
-_-_-_-

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

Re: greek/roman drug use [Re: themostpurple]
    #11543982 - 11/28/09 04:33 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The Romans kept slaves. All the hard work all over the empire was mostly done by slaves. They worked the farms, they cleaned the sewers, they were the servants in the wealthy houses. They belonged to their owners as though they were animals. Just like animals they could be bought and sold, punished and whipped by their masters.

When the Romans went to the circus to watch the games, it was to view a brutal spectacle. Chariot racing was perhaps the least murderous event - although many drivers were hurt in spectacular crashes. But for more gruesome entertainment the Romans watched wild beasts tear each other apart, or gladiators fighting exotic beasts from far away countries, or gladiators fighting each other to the death.

Also, some of their emperors were maniacs. The most famous was Nero (see Famous Romans) but there were many others. Sometimes even the good emperors needed first to be utterly brutal in order to take power. Brutality was often the order of the day. More so of course, when mad or just particularly cruel emperors came to power.
Mad emperor Caligula ordered his legions to collect shells on the beach in order to prove that he had "conquered the sea". Nero killed his mother and his wife. And the cruel emperor Septimius Severus had the body of his dead opponent Clodius Albinus laid out before him, so that he could ride over it with his horse.
These are just some examples of Roman madness and Roman cruelty by its own emperors.

If an emperor wanted rid of a particular senator, he would simply write him a letter, ordering him to kill himself (or else he would send someone round to kill him). Emperor Nero ordered a great many such suicides.
The dictator Sulla during the time of the Roman republic invented the "proscription", by which he would just announce whom he wanted dead. This would be read out in public places and he then would reward anyone who would kill that particular person.

Rome was brutal in its enforcement of its religious views. Several wars were fought with the Jews in order to try and get them to accept the worship of the deceased Roman emperors as gods. The fighting was so fierce, the great city of Jerusalem was destroyed, and with it the ancient temple of Solomon was razed. Most famously, the Christians were thrown to the lions by emperor Nero who blamed them for the Great Fire of Rome.
Later, after the empire had been christianized, the believers in the old Roman gods were equally persecuted by the Christian emperors.
And so too the various heresies (misteachings of Christianity) were persecuted violently by Roman rulers.

wow glorious :rofl2:

OfflineTaco Chef
Male User Gallery

#11544013 - 11/28/09 04:37 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

should we start a list of the various maniac and brutal christians?

i'll take augustus over an x-stain fundamentalist any day

--------------------

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11544049 - 11/28/09 04:41 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

there are many who use the Christian name but are not truly Christian

even the scriptures themselves are clear about this

comparing a belief system with an empire is pretty silly

the Roman Empire was built upon violent principles

this is not the case with Christianity even if some who use the name are violent

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: west coast
    #11544069 - 11/28/09 04:44 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

jesus is the man.

romans couldnt hang.

so they started cutting their penises too.

--------------------

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11544078 - 11/28/09 04:45 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Crucifixion was in use particularly among the Persians, Seleucids, Carthaginians, and Romans from about the 6th century BC to the 4th century AD, when in the year 337 Emperor Constantine I abolished it in his empire, out of veneration for Jesus Christ, the most famous victim of crucifixion.[2][3] It was also used as a form of execution in Japan, of both criminals and Christians.

Crucifixion was almost never performed for ritual or symbolic reasons outside of Christianity, but usually to provide a death that was particularly slow, painful (hence the term excruciating, literally "out of crucifying"), gruesome (hence dissuading against the crimes punishable by it) and public, using whatever means were most expedient for that goal. Crucifixion methods varied considerably with location and time period.

The Greek and Latin words corresponding to "crucifixion" applied to many different forms of painful execution, from impaling on a stake to affixing to a tree, to an upright pole (a crux simplex) or to a combination of an upright (in Latin, stipes) and a crossbeam (in Latin, patibulum).[5]

If a crossbeam was used, the condemned man was forced to carry it on his shoulders, which could have been torn open by flagellation, to the place of execution. A whole cross would weigh well over 300 pounds (135 kilograms), but the crossbeam would weigh only 75–125 pounds (35–60 kilograms).[6] The Roman historian Tacitus records that the city of Rome had a specific place for carrying out executions, situated outside the Esquiline Gate,[7] and had a specific area reserved for the execution of slaves by crucifixion.[8] Upright posts would presumably be fixed permanently in that place, and the crossbeam, with the condemned person perhaps already nailed to it, would then be attached to the post.

The person executed may have been attached to the cross by rope, though nails are mentioned in a passage by the Judean historian Josephus, where he states that at the Siege of Jerusalem (70), "the soldiers out of rage and hatred, nailed those they caught, one after one way, and another after another, to the crosses, by way of jest."[9] Objects used in the crucifixion of criminals, such as nails, were sought as amulets with perceived medicinal qualities.[10]

While a crucifixion was an execution, it was also a humiliation, by making the condemned as vulnerable as possible. Although artists have depicted the figure on a cross with a loin cloth or a covering of the genitals, criminals were generally hung nude.[citation needed] When the criminal had to urinate or defecate, they had to do so in the open, in view of passers-by, resulting in discomfort and the attraction of insects.

Frequently, the legs of the person executed were broken or shattered with an iron club, an act called crurifragium which was also frequently applied without crucifixion to slaves.[11] This act hastened the death of the person but was also meant to deter those who observed the crucifixion from committing offenses.[11]

Invisibleuber_aj
Goodbye Shroomery!
Male

Loc: Much love to you all
    #11544183 - 11/28/09 04:57 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Life Upon Death said:

this is not the case with Christianity even if some who use the name are violent

:eatadick:

Christianity is based off the Old Testament, which is one of the most violent books in recorded history of any culture.

Your "not-really-Xians" cop out is also weak, I could make a blanket statement about Muslims never committing an act of violence using the exact same argument. It's almost as bad as the Ultimate Christian Cop Out: You just have to have faith.

OfflineTaco Chef
Male User Gallery

#11544187 - 11/28/09 04:57 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i see this in many of your posts; where do the footnotes come from/lead too?

--------------------

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: greek/roman drug use [Re: uber_aj]
    #11544194 - 11/28/09 04:58 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

life is violent ... what are ya gonna do?

--------------------

Invisibledr_gonz

. [Re: pong]
    #11544202 - 11/28/09 04:59 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11544207 - 11/28/09 04:59 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

novumorganum said:
i see this in many of your posts; where do the footnotes come from/lead too?

:facepalm:

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

Re: greek/roman drug use [Re: pong]
    #11544211 - 11/28/09 05:00 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

pong said:

not all life is violent

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11544229 - 11/28/09 05:02 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Life Upon Death said:
Quote:

pong said:

not all life is violent

what do you eat?

nothing?

is there anything that does not eat that does not get eaten?

live is a violent result of an even more violent universe.

please explain to me what life is not violent?

id like to know.

--------------------

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11544232 - 11/28/09 05:02 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

uber_aj said:
Quote:

Life Upon Death said:

:eatadick:

Christianity is based off the Old Testament, which is one of the most violent books in recorded history of any culture.

Your "not-really-Xians" cop out is also weak, I could make a blanket statement about Muslims never committing an act of violence using the exact same argument. It's almost as bad as the Ultimate Christian Cop Out: You just have to have faith.

your right

violence was the order of the day in certain cases to take out completely corrupted civilizations of man

you wouldn't be here if the limb hadn't been amputated

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11544243 - 11/28/09 05:03 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

pong said:
Quote:

Life Upon Death said:
Quote:

pong said:

not all life is violent

what do you eat?

nothing?

is there anything that does not eat that does not get eaten?

live is a violent result of an even more violent universe.

please explain to me what life is not violent?

id like to know.

eating plants is not violent

your reachin

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: greek/roman drug use [Re: dr_gonz]
    #11544245 - 11/28/09 05:04 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

dr_gonz said:
Quote:

pong said:

post you tube vids :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11544253 - 11/28/09 05:05 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

eating fruits is not violent

eating vegetables is not violent

the plant wants you to eat it

Edited by Life Upon Death (11/28/09 05:12 PM)

Invisibleuber_aj
Goodbye Shroomery!
Male

#11544281 - 11/28/09 05:08 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Life Upon Death said:
your right

violence was the order of the day in certain cases to take out completely corrupted civilizations of man

Having read your myriads of conspiracy theory posts, I find it absurd that you believe the stories in the Bible about other civilizations. Ever read Deuteronomy? The Jews are without a doubt the most violent civilization in the Bible. Their pretense of morality is a thin veil.

History is fabricated written by the winners. Archeology has shown that many Biblical tales of foreign civilizations have been wildly over exaggerated.

I suppose violence was the order of the day during the Salem Witch Trials and the Inquisition too, huh? Oh wait, no those were probably fake Xians, right? :wink:

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11544286 - 11/28/09 05:09 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Life Upon Death said:

your reachin

what makes eating an animal more violent than eating a plant?

BTW did ancient greeks do shroomz?

--------------------

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11544295 - 11/28/09 05:10 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

uber_aj said:
Quote:

Life Upon Death said:
your right

Having read your myriads of conspiracy theory posts, I find it absurd that you believe the stories in the Bible about other civilizations. Ever read Deuteronomy? The Jews are without a doubt the most violent civilization in the Bible. Their pretense of morality is a thin veil.

History is fabricated written by the winners. Archeology has shown that many Biblical tales of foreign civilizations have been wildly over exaggerated.

I suppose violence was the order of the day during the Salem Witch Trials and the Inquisition too, huh? Oh wait, no those were probably fake Xians, right? :wink:

BULLSHIT

archeology has proven the bible to be correct even where atheists said it was wrong beforehand

provide your evidence

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #11544302 - 11/28/09 05:10 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

plants don't have a central nervous system ?

--------------------

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11544315 - 11/28/09 05:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

pong said:
Quote:

Life Upon Death said:

your reachin

what makes eating an animal more violent than eating a plant?

BTW did ancient greeks do shroomz?

I refuse to take part in such a stupid conversation

your reaching for the stars with this one

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11544319 - 11/28/09 05:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Life Upon Death said:

the plant whats you to eat it

plants dont want YOU to eat the fruit.  they dont want YOU to eat the vegetable.

they want something to spread their seed.

not put that seed into a toilet.  plus u probably dont even eat the seeds or plant them far from the parent plant.

THE HERD OF ANIMALS WANTS ME TO EAT THE WEAKEST ONE I CAN GET MY PAWS ON  BECAUSE AFTER ENOUGH TIME THE ANIMALS WILL BE LESS WEAK!

just because the individual is harmed does not mean the outcome is negative.

--------------------

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11544340 - 11/28/09 05:17 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

pong said:
Quote:

Life Upon Death said:

plants dont want YOU to eat the fruit.  they dont want YOU to eat the vegetable.

not put that seed into a toilet.  plus u probably dont even eat the seeds or plant them far from the parent plant.

THE HERD OF ANIMALS WANTS ME TO EAT THE WEAKEST ONE I CAN GET MY PAWS ON  BECAUSE AFTER ENOUGH TIME THE ANIMALS WILL BE LESS WEAK!

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11544346 - 11/28/09 05:18 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Life Upon Death said:
Quote:

pong said:
Quote:

Life Upon Death said:

LOL

:pong:

--------------------

InvisibleBender B Rodriguez
The Greatest
Male User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, CO
    #11544367 - 11/28/09 05:21 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I want some lead drank!

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11544404 - 11/28/09 05:26 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Matthew 5:

38"You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.'

39"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

43"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'

44"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

45so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

46"For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?

47"If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?

48"Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Invisiblepong
kretan
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11544418 - 11/28/09 05:27 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Life Upon Death said:
Matthew 5:

38"You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.'

39"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

43"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'

44"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

45so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

46"For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?

47"If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?

48"Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

:wtf:

--------------------

Invisibleuber_aj
Goodbye Shroomery!
Male

#11544420 - 11/28/09 05:28 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Life Upon Death said:
BULLSHIT

archeology has proven the bible to be correct even where atheists said it was wrong beforehand

provide your evidence

Even if I had a long list of reputable sources with scientific backing to post, you'd dismiss it all with a shrug b/c it conflicts with your view of the world.

It is well documented that the civilizations of Jericho and the Hittites, while they did exist, were much smaller than is mentioned in the Bible, even figuring the latest possible dates allowed by your book. These are the only two specific examples I recall right now. Add in the geological errors throughout the Bible and the regular use of anachronisms, and the historical context of the Bible is overshadowed by the zealous exaggeration of the Jews. Let's not forget that although the Jews claim many fantastic feats of god-backed military conquest, the stories are unaccounted for in every single society they were written to have been in contact with. Sorry, but the "history" of the Bible is very much in question.

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11544454 - 11/28/09 05:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

uber_aj said:
Quote:

Life Upon Death said:
BULLSHIT

provide your evidence

Even if I had a long list of reputable sources with scientific backing to post, you'd dismiss it all with a shrug b/c it conflicts with your view of the world.

It is well documented that the civilizations of Jericho and the Hittites, while they did exist, were much smaller than is mentioned in the Bible, even figuring the latest possible dates allowed by your book. These are the only two specific examples I recall right now. Add in the geological errors throughout the Bible and the regular use of anachronisms, and the historical context of the Bible is overshadowed by the zealous exaggeration of the Jews. Let's not forget that although the Jews claim many fantastic feats of god-backed military conquest, the stories are unaccounted for in every single society they were written to have been in contact with. Sorry, but the "history" of the Bible is very much in question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWawVUZg3Es

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11544506 - 11/28/09 05:39 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

As to their evidence, Dr. Bryant Wood, Director of the Associates for Biblical Research and one of the leading experts on the archaeology of Jericho, recently responded.

“It matters little what the Italian archaeologists did not find in their month-long dig. The evidence is already in. Three major expeditions to the site over the past 90 years uncovered abundant evidence to support the Biblical account.

As Wood went on to point out, John Garstang (1930-1936) and Kathleen Kenyon (1952-1958) both dug at Jericho for six seasons and a German excavation directed by Ernst Sellin and Carl Watzinger dug for three. All found abundant evidence of the city's destruction by fire in a layer related to the Biblical date of 1400 BC.
Bryant Wood at Jericho excavation.

In September 1997, Dr. Wood visited Jericho and examined the results of the Italian excavation first hand. Incredibly, he found the Italians had uncovered the stone outer revetment wall at the base of the tell with part of the mudbrick wall built on top of it still intact. In the balk of the Italian excavation, at the outer base of the revetment wall, Wood noticed the remains of the collapsed mudbrick city walls which had tumbled. Not only did the Italians find the same evidence uncovered in the earlier excavations, it fits the Biblical story perfectly!

Wood reports:

“The Italian excavation actually uncovered most of the critical evidence relating to the Biblical story. But even more exciting is the fact that all the evidence from the earlier digs has disappeared over time. We only have records, drawing and photos. But the Italians uncovered a completely new section of the wall which we did not know still existed. I had my photograph taken standing next to the wall where the mudbrick collapse had just been excavated!

Unfortunately, the Italian archaeologists, the Palestinian Authorities, the Associated Press and most of the world doesn't realize any of this. It is a sad commentary on the state of archaeology in the Holy Land, when the purpose of an excavation at a Biblical site is to disprove the Bible and disassociate the site with any historical Jewish connection.

Edited by Life Upon Death (11/28/09 05:45 PM)

OfflineLife Upon Death
Stranger

#11544597 - 11/28/09 05:58 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom