Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinenice1
Not the droid your looking for
 User Gallery

Loc: earth
Re: So, I found a tick on my gut tonight... (moved) [Re: christdriver]
    #11472056 - 11/17/09 04:44 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The vaseline thing is not true - its a myth.

The best method for tick removal is to get a piece of cotton and make a loop.  Put the loop over the tick and pull the loop shut.  Now gently tug at it.  It can take a minute or 2 of gentle tugging but eventually they will let go.

I have had them all over my body, including 2 on my nut sack.

--------------------
Our thoughts create our reality.  :strokebeard:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: So, I found a tick on my gut tonight... [Re: tangoking]
    #11472062 - 11/17/09 04:48 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

most of the time you pull a tick straight out, the head comes out aswell.

using heat or chemical means to try to remove it can cause it to regurgitate. there is some actual evidenve that this might increase the chances of the communication of disease. my mother had lyme disease, so that's reason enough for caution in my oppinion.

preferences varry of course.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinetangoking
Lover of Boletes
 User Gallery

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Re: So, I found a tick on my gut tonight... (moved) [Re: canid]
    #11473045 - 11/17/09 10:50 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Not a fun way to end the day. Think to yourself, "OK. I need to get these tick parts out. To do so, I must gouge out a little chunk of my body, taking the mandibles with it."

Pick up a razor blade and let's get this bloody mess started!

I did this sober, but I would highly recommend a double shot of something strong if you ever find yourself in this position.

Quote:

nice1 said:
The best method for tick removal is to get a piece of cotton and make a loop.  Put the loop over the tick and pull the loop shut.  Now gently tug at it.  It can take a minute or 2 of gentle tugging but eventually they will let go.

What do you mean by a "piece of cotton?" Thread? Dental floss?

--------------------
Smurfette artwork reference:
https://www.guyhepner.com/product/smurfette-with-flowers-by-herr-nilsson/

Edited by tangoking (11/17/09 10:58 AM)

Offlinemasspan
l'eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: So, I found a tick on my gut tonight... (moved) [Re: tangoking]
    #11473130 - 11/17/09 11:04 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

it's my understanding as well that it is only the deer ticks on the east coast that carry Lymes, and that they need to be embedded for at least 24 hours to communicate disease. I pulled ticks out of my belt line 3 times this summer, 1 deer, 2 'regular', the spots itched for a good week or two afterwards, one even left a purple-ish scar/spot, but no other ill effects. you will probably be fine, but watch it closely for ring/redness, and don't hesitate to see a doctor, it is treatable if caught early, very problematic if it advances.

--------------------

my mother said, to get things done, you'd better not mess with Major Tom...whose status is the baddest, everytime 'they' bless the apparatus

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: So, I found a tick on my gut tonight... (moved) [Re: masspan]
    #11473158 - 11/17/09 11:07 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Deer ticks here have Lyme too (westcoast), it's rare though.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11473164 - 11/17/09 11:09 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Re: So, I found a tick on my gut tonight... (moved) [Re: tangoking]
    #11473168 - 11/17/09 11:10 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hope you don't get red ring. Prayin for ya.

The daughter of one of my professors got it at a very young age. Long story short, she's not going to have a very normal life at all now.

InvisibleHendostan
I'm a teapot

Re: So, I found a tick on my gut tonight... [Re: canid]
    #11473192 - 11/17/09 11:14 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

canid said:
most of the time you pull a tick straight out, the head comes out aswell.

using heat or chemical means to try to remove it can cause it to regurgitate. there is some actual evidenve that this might increase the chances of the communication of disease.

i'm really glad someone said this before i had to. NEVER use heat to try and get a tick to release.

InvisibleRationalEgo
Principium Individuationis

Loc: Boston
    #11473206 - 11/17/09 11:18 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

This can actually be pretty serious so I suggest you go see a medical professional.

Offlinetangoking
Lover of Boletes
 User Gallery

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Re: So, I found a tick on my gut tonight... [Re: RationalEgo]
    #11473236 - 11/17/09 11:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RationalEgo said:
This can actually be pretty serious so I suggest you go see a medical professional.

I would like to, but I don't have health insurance and I'm broke. Not sure if I should wait and see if I get a bullseye, or try and seek free treatment right away.

Right now it's a little pink about for about a 1cm radius around the wound--but I would expect nothing less after cutting a little chunk of my flesh out with a razor. It looks like it's healing well.

--------------------
Smurfette artwork reference:
https://www.guyhepner.com/product/smurfette-with-flowers-by-herr-nilsson/

Offlinehotmama10
Stranger

Re: So, I found a tick on my gut tonight... (moved) [Re: RationalEgo]
    #11473242 - 11/17/09 11:25 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

next time, put clear finger nail polish on it, it will start suffacting and will back out then you cna pull it off,.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11473258 - 11/17/09 11:28 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i get bitten by deer ticks a lot, as do hundreds of thousands of people in the us. it's not that big a risk.

if you develop initial local symptoms, seek medical help. otherwise, try not to sweat it.

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11473270 - 11/17/09 11:32 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i believe the bulls eye pattern is a strong initial indicator, but does not develop immediately, and would expect a single spot of irritation to develop sooner for other reasons, such as an allergic reaction to the tick's saliva, or physical irritation from the bite itself, or another bacterium.

--------------------

InvisibleYoungBuck
Solid Dude in Solitude
Male User Gallery

Re: So, I found a tick on my gut tonight... [Re: canid]
    #11473285 - 11/17/09 11:36 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I've had a bunch of ticks bite me in my lifetime and I always develop a rash around the area I was bitten that itches pretty bad for a week or so.  I always keep my eye on the area to be sure I don't have any other symptoms, been lucky so far.

--------------------
Who wants to live with one foot in hell just for the sake of nostalgia?  Our time is forever NOW!

2010 Southeast Gathering Thread

Offlinewhoever
Stranger
    #11539110 - 11/27/09 06:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

masspan said:
the spots itched for a good week or two afterwards, one even left a purple-ish scar/spot, but no other ill effects.

I got one of these - does the spot go away eventually?

OfflineIstigkeit
Good Vibrations
Male

Loc: Across The Universe
    #11539135 - 11/27/09 06:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:gangsta:

--------------------

Invisibleblazenn
rawdog the whale.
Male

#11539210 - 11/27/09 06:45 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i remember when i was 11 or 12 there was a tick on my head. it was there for a couple days before it finally fell off after getting out of the shower one morning. hell i didn't even know it was a tick until it fell off and i saw it on the floor.
i just felt something on my head that felt like a pimple or growth of some sort and just waited to see if it'd go away.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
    #11539358 - 11/27/09 07:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Tango, about a year or two ago this EXACT same thing happened to me.

The tick was only in a few hours, but that fucker was stuck.  I spent about 20 minutes tugging on the head, but the mouth parts were not releasing or coming out.  So finally I just pulled until I broke off the mouth parts, since nothing was working.  Of course I could see the mandibles or whatever embedded in my skin, and couldn't leave it.  So I got a razor and dug a chunk of skin out. 
It was on my stomach too.

--------------------

OfflineFeedingMyDreams
King of Cartoons
Male

Loc: tabb, va
Re: So, I found a tick on my gut tonight... (moved) [Re: koraks]
    #11540838 - 11/28/09 01:28 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Sounds pretty bad. I had the same thing a couple of months ago. I think I've had 10 or 15 ticks this year. Usually, I pull them off easily within the first 24 hours they're on my skin. On the first day, they don't dig in very deep and you can easily pluck them off your skin with your fingers. During that time, the risk of infection (with Lyme) is negligible.

But apparently I missed one this summer and only discovered it 2 or 3 days after I must've picked it up in the woods. It was exactly as you described. I tried to get it out using a pair of small pliers, but only managed to pull the abdomen off, leaving the head deep in my skin. I left the situation as it was for a couple of days, and of course my skin reacted by showing mild symptoms of inflammation. After a few days, I decided I wanted it out and dug into the skin using something sharp; I think I used a small knife, a needle and some miniature pliers. I managed to dig the head out and the wound healed nicely in the following week.

I suppose that if I had left the head in, it would have festered out over the course of a few weeks, or perhaps months. However, I didn't want to risk infection by leaving it in that long, so I got it out. I advise you to do the same, but do it a bit more wisely than I did. Desinfect your tools and the wound properly, using alcohol, iodine or whatever.

The important thing is to keep an eye on the spot and see if any symptoms of Lyme's disease develop. In all confirmed cases of Lyme's, a characteristic skin disturbance appears around the exact spot where the tick attached itself within a few weeks after the bite. If the skin remains normal even after 6 months, I'd say you're safe. If a red ring or any other anomaly appears, make a trip to the doctor. Lyme's can be treated with antibiotics if it's discovered in an early stage. If you stay vigilant, odds are that you're going to get away with this without any long-term damage.

Good luck.

Edit:
Quote:

christdriver said:
from what i know on the subject...if it was a larger dog tick, it does not carry lime disease...there is only one large tick that does, and it has a white spot on it back.the lone star tick.if it was a smaller deer tick, then you may want to get tested.swelling is normal and does not necassarily mean lyme disease, a bullseye rash indicates lyme disease.

another note on the good side is that it takes a tick quite awhile to transfer lyme disease to a human....at least 10 hours-24 hours(its still up for debate.)

I don't know about the different tick species; as far as I'm concerned, I'd be vigilant in any case. I agree with the other things you say about Lyme's, however. It concurs with the information I gathered from various sources.

Yeah, I was concerned for a few days but it went away so I didn't do anything about it.

--------------------
"It's spaghetti time."

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom