Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

What would change?
    #1153446 - 12/19/02 01:51 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

If pot were legalized, what sort of things do you think would change in society and everday life?
Anything, subtle or drastic, I want to try and paint a picture of a better world.

I bet police would have alot more useful things to do with their time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesoylent_green
The greatEnitsuj
Female

Loc: Ontario
Re: What would change? [Re: Grav]
    #1153532 - 12/19/02 02:44 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

the people who are agnst it, would have more to bitch about,
more people would melow out, be relaxed.?

--------------------
What fun is it in Nirvana while other beings are suffering?

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #1153707 - 12/19/02 04:05 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

For me the first thing that would change is a sence of having to look over my shoulder. There are so many arguments that pot makes people paranoid but I have wondered if that is not a conditioned respose mostly as it is illeagal to use and possess.

I would hope that alchol related problems like drunk driving deaths, 16,500 or 5 x's how many people died in total on 911, which said number doesn't take into account people that killed themselves while drunk, that killed someone else while drunk, that committed a violent crime while drunk......etc.....etc...

who knows what kind of sanity might happen......

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
    #1153823 - 12/19/02 04:44 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

1) More cops would have to hide less of what they really do off duty.
2) More car crashes from wasted drivers.
3) More people would get treatment that they need (because of uncontroled abuse.)
4) Rise in cancer rates in 20 years.
5) Using population wouldn't care what I type here..........

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1153830 - 12/19/02 04:47 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"A picture of a better world" in Switzerland.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: What would change? [Re: Tannis]
    #1154321 - 12/19/02 07:18 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Even if all those were true, I think the benefits would far surpass.

I would trade some horrible fatal drunk-driving accident for a few stoner fender benders anyday.

Edited by Grav (12/19/02 07:19 AM)

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #1154353 - 12/19/02 07:30 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I doubt there would be any significant increase in car accidents as a result of weed being legalized.

--------------------

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
    #1154364 - 12/19/02 07:35 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Driving drunk is better than driving stoned? I disagree.......an accident still kills you.

Granted, living a "stoned" life is fun while it lasts, but having a world that is "stoned" most or all of the time is not my idea of a great society.

Don't get me wrong......if I had no responsibilities.....being stoned would be fun......but it eventually catches up to you and then its difficult to hold a job and get the bills paid. You know what I mean, you get stoned, miss work or are late and then end up fired or constantly in trouble at work.......
When I used to smoke, I found that it slowed my mind down.
I ran into a guy I used to party with in a parking lot and he didn't even know who I was! He got all paranoid and thought I was a cop. He kept asking me who I was and where we partied.......
I don't ever want to get wasted and be like that. I know it doesn't happen to everyone, but it might have me. I quit weed long ago because it made me feel like everything was so easy. It only seemed easy though, I was missing a lot of stuff.

Anonymous

#1154401 - 12/19/02 07:45 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I drive slower when I'm high. That little bit of paranoia makes me a more cautious person, even when theres nothing really going on.
I think people would definitly begin to relax and enjoy their leisure time. I work 36 hours a week and go to school like 26 hours a week... I don't smoke nearly as much as I used to but the few bowls I do smoke a day don't affect my mind or job unless I'm high at the time. Sometimes I fuck up a claim I pull at work when I'm stoned, but it's easily fixed..my job is pretty kickback..but the cubicle does get to me, lol. (by the way i work at a collection agency)
When I'm high at school I surprisingly do a lot more work and do it more efficiently..but thats just me..

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1154705 - 12/19/02 09:06 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Tannis... good to see you back.  :smile:

I am assuming complete legalization of everything... not just Cannabis...

1) More cops...

The war on drugs would be over.  The police could spend there time and risk there lives protecting and serving rather than wasting time, resources, and possibly their lives on some needless cause.

2) More car crashes...

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you on this point.  Most people are not responsible enough to refrain from driving when they are in an altered state, be it drunk, stoned, tired, etc.

3) More people would get treatment...

There would also be more money available for treatment, through increased tax revenue.  Not only would the tax from the drug sales be available, but the billions upon billions of dollars wasted on the war on drugs would also be free for better uses.

4) Rise in cancer rates...

Perhaps... I don't see people too concerned about all the SUVs out there that produce billions of tons of cancer causing polution each year.  Until studies are done, this is a hypothesis, not a fact.

5) Using population wouldn't care...

Not true... there will always be abusers out there.  But there are abusers out there now.  Are all of the people that drink alcohol living on the streets as bums?

A few you forgot to mention:

6) less availability to children.  When my younger brother was in high school he used to smoke a lot of Cannabis (which I didn't like).  I asked him if he smoked cigs or drank alcohol, and he said "no, those are too hard to get".

7) more money for education... not the "just say no" type of stuff, but honest education which shows the pros and cons of drug use.

8) less people in prison... we would no longer stamp somebody that is addicted and has a medical problem as a criminal.  The money we waste keeping somebody locked up could be spent helping them kick their habits (assuming that is what they want).

I have always been a big fan of personal responsibility.  I don't need somebody else that is holier than myself deciding what I should or should not be allowed to do for my own good.  Give me the choice to do what I want to do as long as my actions do not have an adverse effect on others.  If I mess up and abuse the rights that I have been given, then punish me or restrict my abilities... but not until.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: What would change? [Re: ]
    #1154829 - 12/19/02 09:47 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I also have the same paranoia when driving. Slow is better...
About the job and smoke stuff, i'm a rare exception. Usually i'm fast doing my stuff but that way i fail sometimes, slowing down a bit makes me more cautious, that way i fail much less, but hey, my work is a seating simbiosis with a computer.  :tongue:

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: What would change? [Re: upupup]
    #1154855 - 12/19/02 09:53 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

There are so many arguments that pot makes people paranoid but I have wondered if that is not a conditioned respose mostly as it is illeagal to use and possess.

I agree. I usually get paranoid only when in the wrong set and setting.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1155010 - 12/19/02 10:40 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Tannis, I don't mean to insult you or anything, but you sound like someone who just couldn't handle smoking weed responsibly. If it is interfering with the rest of your life, than you are abusing it, and nothing should be abused.

As im sure you know, there are tons of people who know how to smoke in moderation, and stay on top of their responsiblities.
Granted there are probably even more deuschbags who are gradually destroying themselves, but I don't see how legalizing weed would worsen this at all.

This world is already drugged up on far worse things than marijuana. To me, it doesn't make sense to look at legalization as leading to the world becoming "stoned"...

The responsible people will stay responsible
The happy people are gonna stay happy
The depressed may find weed alot better than prozac
The wasteful lazy people will stay lazy.
The assholes may chill out a little bit.
The drug abusers will remain drug abusers.

But there will be alot less bullshit in this country regardless.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1155031 - 12/19/02 10:46 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Are there any statistics on accidents caused by drivers being stoned?

I think cel-phones are probably more dangerous on the road than being high. Unless your a complete fucking idiot then you know that your stoned, and you drive very cautiously.

Anonymous

#1155291 - 12/19/02 12:45 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

one little bit of paranoia that i always fabricate when driving stoned is that im like swirving a little bit side to side
anybody else ever think this?
i know im not really swirving but im so high i feel the littlest movements and think they were bigger than they really are.. i do that sitting around groups of people too..i'll like move my leg or something a little and think i just had some kind of leg spasm lol

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
    #1163570 - 12/22/02 11:53 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Grav, I hear ya........my problem is not one of irresponsibility.....its that I can be totally wasted and no one can tell the difference. I have driven while high or drunk and have even been stopped and given a speeding ticket......but the cop didn't know I was drunk or high. I cringe to think about how I "could" have hurt myself or someone else.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #1163592 - 12/23/02 12:28 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I have an uncle who always used to brag about what a "good" drunk driver he was. Then one time when he was driving his wife home from a party, smashed off his ass, he got into an accident with another car. His wife broke her leg.

Two small children that were in the other car lost their lives.

My uncle got put in jail.

I cringe to think why you put the word "could" in quotation marks.

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Anonymous

#1163605 - 12/23/02 12:46 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Being high doesnt give most people that 'fuck it I'll drive anyway, nothings gonna happen, I'm invincible, etc.' attitude like alcohol does. If youre too high to drive, you usually dont want to. ;p

I dont advocate driving while intoxicated, I think its one of the stupidest things a person can do.. But I really dont think legalizing bud is going to cause that many more car accidents. Its not like tons of people are gonna go 'HEY! Pots legal! Lets go get fried and drive around!' It just doesnt work that way, for the most part.

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
Re: What would change? [Re: ]
    #1163646 - 12/23/02 01:28 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

One thing that will change for good is that they will have to change the unjust laws that exist right now.
For example u get punished more for a drug related crime (non violent), that if you committed a rape!
80 % of people in jail are in for drug crimes (non violent ones).
This war against drugs we own thanks to Regan
People?s lives are being ruined for practically nothing.
And after all this years what did they stop?

--------------------

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: What would change? [Re: LOBO]
    #1164070 - 12/23/02 05:43 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Yea it is fuckin disgusting what horrible things we are allowing.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale