Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBlueCrunchie
Stranger
Pinning in Jars
    #1153551 - 12/19/02 04:52 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I have four PF style 1/2 pint jars. Two achieved nearly-full surface colonization a couple days ago (I'm still waiting for a couple random patches to fill in with mycelium). However, two days later, these two are now starting to pin and create mushrooms all over the top of the jar. The other two jars are not even colonized through the bottom yet. Ideally, I wanted to wanted to wait a week after full surface colonization before casing all four jars. Now that mushrooms are growing, should I case the first two to prevent the mushrooms inside from rotting? Is this safe given that the substrate has small, uncolonized areas? I'm not even sure if the inside of the cakes will be colonized yet.

Also, would be it safe to leave a casing unattended in a warm, dark environment for about a week and a half?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineuser_exists
Stranger
Re: Pinning in Jars [Re: BlueCrunchie]
    #1153581 - 12/19/02 05:06 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

What kind of casing are you doing? If you want to leave it alone for 7 days make it a little thicker than normal and even then when you come home it will be nearing overlay or at least in my experiance. It would be best if you had a friend that could air out the casing like once a day.

I think you still have a little to learn man just go to the faq and save yourself a lot of time.

Edited by user_exists (12/19/02 05:06 AM)

OfflineBlueCrunchie
Stranger
Re: Pinning in Jars [Re: user_exists]
    #1153596 - 12/19/02 05:14 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

The casing doesn't concern me too much as I'll have a friend around who can do low-maintenance work on it. More importantly, should the cakes be cased now (b/c of pins starting inside) or should I wait for the uncolonized patches to fill in?

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Re: Pinning in Jars [Re: BlueCrunchie]
    #1154331 - 12/19/02 09:21 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Check out your PF tek again, it does say to wait for pinning befor birthing....

There is also a tek on the bottom of the PF page called "hippie neglect tek" which details allowing fruits to grow right in the jar so I would say your fine....

In extream cases you can cut out the uncolonized part of the cake if you get real impatient but I wouldn't recommend it......

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

OfflineBlueCrunchie
Stranger
Re: Pinning in Jars [Re: upupup]
    #1154388 - 12/19/02 09:42 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

upupup and user:
Thanx for the advice! I had not seen the hippie neglect tek and its reassuring enough. I plan on leaving the jars to fully colonize, as early removal seems to be a major cause of contamination. My only concern was the few pins I have rotting before I could remove the cakes from the jars, but it seems to be the lesser of the evils right now.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation