Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinejarrynhectorpaco
Stranger
epilepsy and mushrooms (to hopefully clear this up for me)
    #11519656 - 11/24/09 03:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

okay so hopefully this will be able to clear up all the mixed answers ive got from my friends regarding my epilepsy and mushrooms. so im an 18 year old guy and i would really like to try shrooms but i have epilepsy. ive been diagnosed with epilepsy for about 2 years (My seizures are caused by lack of sleep) and in that 2 years i believe i had 6 grand mal seizures. none of them were breakthroughs though (when you have a seizure even though you took your medicine). Currently i am taking a generic brand of Depakote ER called Divalproex SOD ER. I take 500mg in the morning and 750mg at night. my last seizure was a little more than a month ago. I have been wanting to try mushrooms for about a year now and now some people i know are getting some. I have been looking forward to it with a very positive attitude not scared im going to have a seizure or have a bad trip. I've also been i guess "preparing" in a way by building up my seizure threshold. For the past 3 weeks i have been getting atleast 8 hours of sleep, havent missed a dose of medicine, and i have started eating a lot healthier. so what are your opinions? thanks in advance for any information or possibly experiences . :laugh:

(i guess it might be helpful to list my drug history too: weed almost daily, adderall multiple times, benadryl 3-4 times (not fun), lorazepam once, suboxon once (not fun), and xanax twice i believe thats it thanks again guys :])

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehidenseek
loafter
Male

Loc: Etoba-mi-coke
Re: epilepsy and mushrooms (to hopefully clear this up for me) [Re: jarrynhectorpaco]
    #11519738 - 11/24/09 03:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i dont know anything about epilepsy, but if you do take the shrooms remember they might keep you up so take them early

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

Re: epilepsy and mushrooms (to hopefully clear this up for me) [Re: hidenseek]
    #11519830 - 11/24/09 03:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

none of us here are qualified to tell you whether or not this is a good idea.

--------------------
Weedmaster P knows the truth.

OfflineLSDreamer
Materialist
Male

Re: epilepsy and mushrooms (to hopefully clear this up for me) [Re: laserpig]
    #11519837 - 11/24/09 03:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Psychedelics can cause seizures. Take this for what you will.

--------------------

Offline13.step
cynical bastard
Male

Re: epilepsy and mushrooms (to hopefully clear this up for me) [Re: jarrynhectorpaco]
    #11519852 - 11/24/09 03:51 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know anything about epilepsy,haven't gotten to that chapter in school yet so my advice will be from just what i picked up on the net.

If i remember correctly I believe that mushrooms can trigger seizures,not from the chemical itself but from the sensory overload they might create.I would advise to start low on them and definitely have something handy to bring you down is things get ugly.Also check if your medicine for the epilepsy interacts in any way with the shrooms.

Last but not least there was a thread here a couple of months back where a person died while on mushrooms from something called sudden unexplained death in epilepsy,so just be careful and best to wait for the advice of someone who really knows what they are talking about.

--------------------
Not to be taken seriously by any means!

Offlinejarrynhectorpaco
Stranger
Re: epilepsy and mushrooms (to hopefully clear this up for me) [Re: 13.step]
    #11520019 - 11/24/09 04:16 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

yeah i figure if i take them earlier ill hopefully be fine i know everyones different and i also know that all types of seizures are different. im mostly counting on the fact that when i take my medicine and get enough sleep its like i dont even have epilepsy. so hopefully thatll apply if i eat some mushrooms at that time :rolleyes: and i did some research no interactions with my medicine and if i do do it my friend said 1.75g would be good for a first time.

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #11520032 - 11/24/09 04:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I think that the only danger would be that you exhaust yourself and stay up too much because of the shrooms, and this way you can have a seizure, but I don't think that psilocybin itself can directly cancel the effects of your meds, but I have done very little research on epilepsy and psychedelics, so I might be wrong. You could try with a very low dose first, and if everything goes well, slowly increase the dose each time.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Offlinezany
Xxzxcuzx Me
Male

Loc: midwest USA
    #11520120 - 11/24/09 04:33 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have epilepsy I guess. I've been to two neurologists in my life, the first one I saw declared that I didn't have epilepsy and no one should say I did, the doctor I have now says I do have it. Whatever I have, I get migranes maybe twice a month that will result every so often in a grand mal because of the misfiring in the brain.

Anyways, I regularly smoke weed, I think it helps the whole migrane/seizure situation, and offsets some side effects of the Topomax I take. I'll take shrooms when I get the chance and out of the however many times I've taken them I've never had any abnormal side effects to account for. Same goes for pretty much every drug I've ever taken, but everyone's different.

good vibes maaan:mushroom2:

--------------------
:mushroom2:If you're listening to this song...you might think the chords are going wrong...but they're not...he just wrote it like that!!!:mushroom2:

Offlinejarrynhectorpaco
Stranger
Re: epilepsy and mushrooms (to hopefully clear this up for me) [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #11520136 - 11/24/09 04:34 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

doin lots of reasearch still i found:

There are medications that we suspect will interfere with the action of psilocybin:
Any of various serotonergic medications classified as SSRIs (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors) and Tri-Cyclic antidepressants. This covers a number of medications sometimes used to treat CH: amitryptaline and nortryptaline, Zyprexa (olanzapine), Depakote (divalproex sodium), to name a few

There are some medications which may interfere with psilocybin:

anti-convulsants or anti-epileptic medications

hmmm nothing definite saying it will interfere

Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
    #11520403 - 11/24/09 05:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i wouldnt do them if i were you..

--------------------

OfflineWasteland
Elektromeister!
Male User Gallery

Loc: A pathetic small town in ...
    #11520423 - 11/24/09 05:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

What are your seizure triggers?

--------------------
The Mad Shroomer said:
People are always promising the apocalypse. They never deliver. :frown:

OfflineUromastyx
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: epilepsy and mushrooms (to hopefully clear this up for me) [Re: Wasteland]
    #11520449 - 11/24/09 05:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I take 1000mg of Depakote (generic) everyday and have never had it interfere with mushrooms in any way.

Offlinejarrynhectorpaco
Stranger
    #11520504 - 11/24/09 05:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

sleep deprivation. only times ive had seizures is usually late night playing video games or something and i forgot to take my medicine then i have to wake up like 2 hours later and because i didnt get enough sleep seizure. not once have i had a seizure while under the influence of anything or after ive taken my medicine

OfflineWasteland
Elektromeister!
Male User Gallery

Loc: A pathetic small town in ...
    #11520517 - 11/24/09 05:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I find myself unable to sleep when I trip.

Too much going on, and the world was too great of an experience to see for me to want to blink it away.

--------------------
The Mad Shroomer said:
People are always promising the apocalypse. They never deliver. :frown:

Offlinejarrynhectorpaco
Stranger
    #11520603 - 11/24/09 05:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

yeah ive noticed a lot of people says it keeps you up i was thinking about it and my best friend who wants to trip also has his own place so i was thinkin of just skippin a day of school when he doesnt have work and trippin at his house (literally a 30 second walk) maybe around 1 or 2 and i hear it lasts about 6 hours so ill be good by 8 and we can just chill at his house and talk about it till i have to leave :smile:

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #11520608 - 11/24/09 05:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Depakote's mode action is unknown but:

Quote:

The most likely mode of action for Depakote is potentiation of the inhibitory action of gamma amino butyric acid (GABA) through an action on the further synthesis or further metabolism of GABA.

Usually medications that act on serotonin interfere with psilocin.  So on the surface, it doesn't look like they'd have much interaction.  I'm not a professional, so I don't understand in depth chemistry of the brain or the structure of depakote.  Who knows, depakote can react with psilocin to form a totally new chemical.  Maybe it has other modes of action as well.  I really don't know...

Be careful though.

Edit: GABA inhibits other neurotransmitters, so it's possible it could reduce or completely eliminate effects too.  :shrug:

Edited by BothHands (11/24/09 05:35 PM)

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #11520705 - 11/24/09 05:44 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Either way, if you do give it a try, let us know how it affects your trip.  I'd be very interested in knowing this.  And who knows, someone might have a similar question again.

Offlinejarrynhectorpaco
Stranger
Re: epilepsy and mushrooms (to hopefully clear this up for me) [Re: BothHands]
    #11520923 - 11/24/09 06:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

from what ive got out of your guys responses, this website, and months of research im pretty sure im gonna try it :smile: i feel great, my life is going great i cant wait :smile: im definately gonna bring a pencil and some paper and ill let you guys know how it goes. thanks again!

OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
    #11521393 - 11/24/09 06:59 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I just finished watching 'Messing with Heads' on the documentary channel and the aussie program claims that smoking weed regularly before your early twenties increases your chance of schizophrenic symptoms due to restricted blood flow to the brain. So maybe an aspirin could help reduce that risk, huh?

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: epilepsy and mushrooms (to hopefully clear this up for me) [Re: LSDreamer]
    #11523365 - 11/24/09 11:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

LSDreamer said:
Psychedelics can cause seizures. Take this for what you will.

QFT. They can cause serious seizures, perhaps particularly in those vulnerable to seizures.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds