Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestl38
Stranger
Anyone help a newb in Seattle search?
    #1149336 - 12/17/02 01:39 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Just finished up with finals and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help a guy in Seattle out looking for shrooms, kind of show me the ropes. I've seen mushrooms everywhere, and I can't tell the differences between them well enough to trust my judgement. If anyone could post suggestions for looking (I'd be more happy to learn than anything else, not really looking for more than a few mushrooms to try), or would be willing to show me around, let me know with a PM!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Anyone help a newb in Seattle search? [Re: stl38]
    #1149614 - 12/17/02 03:25 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

All I can say is get out there now. Look for lightly colored woodchips. We've got about 2 weeks of Cyans left. Look for sprinkler systems too.

Good luck!

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #1149796 - 12/17/02 04:34 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

As already mentioned, P. cyanescens is the species you will no doubt wish to look for.
you can find information on this species here. they are relatively easy to id and the fact that they bruise conspiciously blue almost all the time is a great help. you will also want to familiarize yourself with the poisonous species wich share it's habitat, such as the various wood loving galerinas.
good luck and happy hunting.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinestl38
Stranger
Re: Anyone help a newb in Seattle search? [Re: Stymee]
    #1149800 - 12/17/02 04:35 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

is it safe to say that any extremely wavy capped mushroom growing on woodchips is worth a further look? Most of the mushrooms I've been noticing are on lawns, a lot of little ones mostly. Though I haven't seen more than one or two that resembled liberty caps (based on pics I've seen on the net).

Can anyone reccomend the kinds of things to look for these mushrooms in, specifically the seattle area? In the link I see them growing on piles of twigs, lawns, and woodchips. Are cyanescens pretty habitat specific in the seattle area? Mind you I'm not looking for pounds upon pounds, just something where if I spend an hour or two looking I'm likely to find a handful.

Edited by stl38 (12/17/02 04:41 PM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #1149834 - 12/17/02 04:54 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

look in light colored wood mulch that doesn't look extremely fresh of extremely well dedcomposed. office complexes, hospitals, retirement homes, etc are a few types of places that tend to have said mulch.
as far as semies, they realy aren't that common on lawns IME. you are much more likely to find them in pastures, or areas where the grass is lush and allowed to grow undisturbed (not mowed/walked on exessively).
[edit: btw, an hour or two of looking isn't like'y to find you much.]

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (12/17/02 04:58 PM)

OfflineOJ
old hand
    #1149951 - 12/17/02 05:47 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

really dark caramel brown cap....

(the color of an chestnut)

bruises emensly blue...

You will know when you find cyans

good luck to ya =)

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#1149959 - 12/17/02 05:49 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

The waviness is usually there in more mature specimens, but conditions can affect it. It's a good place to start. Something that sticks out when I see them is that carmel cap. . .look underneath the cap, white stem. There are many mushrooms growing in woodchips that may/may not have wavy caps, but very few that are carmel-to-tan capped with a robust white stem.

You might wander around and see some unkempt shrubbery like this:

Woodchips were thrown here as a cheap mulch, it's more cost effective for parks and cities to self-mulch rather than pay to have debris shipped away.
Looking closer, suspicious wavy capped mushroom. . .on the "tan" side of things cap-wise. . .stem is definitely white.

Or without the shrubbery, any place where non-cedar woodchips have been thrown. . .Sometimes old, abandoned woodchip piles/beds get thick grass growing over them. Cyanescens from these environments can have fairly long, thin stems [but still white]. Finding these places is not something you skip to next chapter to accomplish. You have to explore a bit. It's part of the deal, you won't regret it when success presents itself.
You can have as much luck in bordering regions of any major park. . .places within parks, buildings and such that they try to keep looking nice [mulched with park material, often]. Heard rumor of courthouses and police stations being a good place to find them. Ride a bike around for awhile, that would be my advice.

A nice, more carmel-colored guy; again, that thick white stem is a big rule out for the ones that will kill you. That, a definite bluing reaction, and a spore print for good measure [at least for your first find].

Not always wavy, not always obvious, but usually [night-time pic]

Good luck in hunting, they are out there;

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #1150115 - 12/17/02 07:00 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Damn, I'm way too drunk I meant for this to be a PM.
Later

--------------------

Edited by @cro (12/17/02 07:02 PM)

Offlinestl38
Stranger
    #1151842 - 12/18/02 11:11 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I found some mushrooms in a church playground with very uncut/decaying grass that caught my eye by their wavy caps. However the stems are not pure white, but rather a rustier light orange white, only getting pale white about 2mm from the cap. Are cyan stems exclusively white, no matter what habitat?
The patch looked to have shrooms that may have been similar, but not identical, so I only picked up two that I thought looked the closest. The color, and the caps on a whole look very similar to this picture: http://www.mushroomjohn.com/species/pscyans2.jpg
though their color is more of a tan than brown. Also how would you go about bruising a wet shroom? Just squeeze the stem a little and wait (how long) for some blueing to appear (or not appear)?
The stems definately do not look as white as the ones in the mushroom john gallery. Just figured I'd check in with you guys before passing up what I thought could have been cyans.

Edited by stl38 (12/18/02 11:13 AM)

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
    #1151948 - 12/18/02 11:49 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

The stems will be a pure white other than bruising and the whole stem will be this color. The bruising happens rather quickly within a few minutes and you don't have to do much to bruise them usually just the act of picking will do this. And you won't find them in grass unless there is woodchips underneath or within close proximity to the grassy area.
Good Luck

--------------------

Offlinestl38
Stranger
    #1152012 - 12/18/02 12:13 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

well, i'd say that the one thing that must separate cyans from most other mushrooms is their pure white stem, as all of the things I saw on my walk just now through a park (I left when it got too dark) had a least some rust coloring on the stems. I'd say the area where I was (at least the parts that were mulched for plants) looked a little picked over. It seems like finding mushrooms is a two step process, first having an eye for where they might be, and then actually finding them there. I will continue to look around in the A.M.

Are they really only worth looking for around mulch? Or are twig/decaying leaf habitats on top of grass also an ok place to look?

I'd really like to be able to find some before sunday night, if anyone would be able to hunt with me maybe we could work something out.

Edited by stl38 (12/18/02 12:18 PM)

OfflineRoger_Barrett
But you can callme Syd!

Loc: Kitsap County WA
    #1152044 - 12/18/02 12:29 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

As a newbie myself maybe I can throw my $.02 in as well to help... all based on my experiences to date....

1) READ READ READ I poured over the posts here, especially Mushroom John's, and checked out all the descriptions and pix I could to be able to spot cyans. I had a bunch of near hits .. things that seemed close.. until BOOM I found my first cyan.. it is unmistakable when you find one. If young the top is a deep caramel to chocolate. And the stem is white and bruises VERY easily... Galerinas [DEADLY] look very similar in the sense that they are brown and very wavy.. but lack the white stem. I also find that cyans are darker and less brilliantly brown than imposters. But read man read all you can.

2) KNOW your look-alikes. After I read the process of being poisoned by galerinas I made a clear decision that's NOT how I want to die (no symptoms for 6-12 hours.. by the time you show your liver and kidneys are already damaged possibly beyond repair.. 50% mortality rate from there.. slow painful death.. and if you live you may have a dialysis machine as your best friend). Bottom line is if you make a mistake it can be deadly. WORD.

3) Spore print everything. It saved me once for sure when I thought I had cyans.. spore print showed otherwise.

4) Given #2 don't take chances.. toss it if you aren't sure. I pick a lot of shrooms.. I'm also picking edibles I see.. I sort everything out later just to educate myself.

5) Alder mulch and waste is best. Looking deep in woods etc. is a complete waste of time unless you know of a hidden waste pile (I bet there's plenty of hunters who know this stuff though.. lucky bastards!). Given the lack of rain, I found that places which kept the mushrooms moist during the drought period are yielding the best. In other words look for cover/brush/ grasses. Open chip piles may have some but if its obvious and uncovered it may be picked already or it isn't moist enough.

6) Try not to hurt your neck from always looking down.. and keep your eyes on the road when driving! hahahahaha!!

Good luck!

--------------------
The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way that I can understand.

Mazatec Shaman Maria Sabina

Offlinestl38
Stranger
    #1155070 - 12/19/02 11:05 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

well I just hit up the mulch. Let me say that in my one hour of searching I picked up MANY brownish/tan mushrooms with white stems, thinking that maybe they were cyans. Then on my way doubling back I noticed some little mushrooms, I picked one up, only to notice that the stem already had BLUE BRUISING. Of course the tan/carmel cap AND gills (the other mushrooms I had been seeing seemed to lack the carmel colored gills). There were only two of these, they appear to be slightly aged, but still wet. Stem is about 1" long, though one's cap is more whitish carmel, and the other is a browner carmel, both exhibit the same color gills (the one with the white cap has slightly darker gills than the other). I also found 3 dried up mushrooms within feet of the others that have VERY dark gills (I suspect due to maturity, and compared to the wet ones) and darker stems (perhaps a very dark blue/black) that seem to shimmer (again I suspect due to aging) but the caps are identical on all three, and blue bruising is easily noticed on their caps. Size is consistent with the other two (though one has maybe a 1 1/2" stem).

Can anyone suggest a method for 'spore printing' the two wet ones (and the dried up ones if possible), as I am not familiar at all with the process. Thanks!

Also I will try to get some pics up once I find access to a digi cam. I'd also like to ID the other mushrooms I had been picking up, I'll have to go back for more at the same spot and take one or two of them just to ID.

Edited by stl38 (12/19/02 11:08 AM)

Offlinecardboard
digitalautomatedansweringmachine

Loc: pac northwest
    #1155112 - 12/19/02 11:26 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

spore printing procedure should be as follows: take a white piece of paper, then put the cap of the fruitbody onto the white piece of paper with the gills down. Now take a drinking glass and put that over the cap so that it seals in moisture and the cap can continue to sporeulate. Please note also that a white piece of paper is ideal for psilocybes because they have a purplebrownish sporeprint that will show up on white. If the mushroom has a white sporeprint it wont show up on white paper, i think you can figure out why. Hope that helps.

--------------------
stay off my land

Offlinestl38
Stranger
Re: Anyone help a newb in Seattle search? [Re: cardboard]
    #1155130 - 12/19/02 11:34 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

two questions:
1. how long does a spore print take to do/develop
2. will it work with my 'dry' mushrooms (they are still somewhat wet)

EDIT: never mind it seems the two word search on google, 'spore print' has answered my questions.

Edited by stl38 (12/19/02 01:33 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates